Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: ??stripped 6mm allenhead bolt (91 jetta)??

Vehicles
      91 jetta gl ...94 jettalll
      09-01-2011 10:37 PM #1
      yeah .....got a 91 jetta ...and i just removed the alternater and A/C compressor ....now there is a bracket over the water pump......i have all the bolts out EXCEPT for the one that goes though the block under the timing belt (6mm allenhead) and it is stripped . Is there ANY procedure of removing this bolt and bracket to get to the water pump?

Vehicles
      1943 Flugkreisel, 1945 VRIL-7
      09-01-2011 11:51 PM #2
      Do you have a Bentley service manual, it is a must have for anyone servicing a VW.
      http://www.bentleypublishers.com/vol...ir-manual.html

When asking for questions in the Mk2 forum, you will get people like myself inquiring if you own the manual. The reason we do this is to save you time, since the manual will answer many questions you have and future questions. All you have to do is read it, my manual is tattered from reading it over the years. Link to my pic. http://www.3dzubehor.com/webpics/olddirtybastard.JPG

When you replace the wp, you don't have to replace the wp housing which requires the remove of the alternator and ac compressor.

Where is the bolt located?
      My advice when replacing the wp, replace all the bolts on the wp too. Make sure they are stainless steel or add anti-seize to non SS bolts.
      Also do not use the paper gasket, use the metal/rubber gasket as used on the Mk3 ABA engines.

On shouldered bolts, you can use an 11mm 12pt socket, hammer it onto the head of the bolt, and use a wrench to remove the stripped bolt. Non shouldered bolts I think you use a 13mm 12pt socket. You can then put the bolt in a bench vise or use visegrips to work the socket off. Additionally you could hammer a male torx socket and try to remove it that way. For stubborn one, an air chisel can help.

The original Dub and Dubber.
      Manche VWs sind einfach schneller als andere.

Vehicles
      81 rabbit TD, 83 rabbit G60T
      09-02-2011 12:54 PM #3
      Pictures?
      Always a way.
      Air chisel, as mentioned, is a very powerful weapon. Another easy try is to hammer a 1/4" allen key into the stripped out 6mm hole. Or, if that or the abovementioned socket trick don't work, you might try welding a nut to the stripped head and wrenching it off.
      There's always vicegrips... And remember, Heat is your friend. It's amazing what a propane torch will help loosen. Aim it at the threaded end of the bolt, but watch out for wires and hoses!
      GL
      3 speeds are better than no speeds. I LOVE 010 AUTO TRANSMISSIONS!!

If you need ANYTHING from China, let me know. I'm not talking about door handles. I'm talking containers of anything made there. I can cut out all the middlemen.

Vehicles
      91 jetta gl ...94 jettalll
      09-03-2011 09:47 AM #4
      the 6mm is the stripped bolt ...i tried a vise grips and it just slips off.

Last edited by frenzycat; 09-03-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Vehicles
      81 rabbit TD, 83 rabbit G60T
      11-08-2011 07:21 AM #5
      lotsa lube/heat cycles on the threaded end. Big visegrips, with the course teeth (closer to jaw pivot point) clamped super tight should do the job, though you may have to take that intermediate shaft sprocket off. I'd still try hammering in a 1/4" allen key as well.
      3 speeds are better than no speeds. I LOVE 010 AUTO TRANSMISSIONS!!

If you need ANYTHING from China, let me know. I'm not talking about door handles. I'm talking containers of anything made there. I can cut out all the middlemen.