VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Jrod's rental experience, OR; I bought a Corvette ZHZ

6K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  22AudiQ 
#1 ·
Down in FL for a week. Decided it was time to step up to a newer / nicer class of cars for re-sale. Got a 2009 Corvette Convertible ZHZ (That's the yellow and black Hertz rentals) #344 of 375. 40k miles, 6 speed auto, 436 HP, dual mode exhaust, magnetic control suspension, high polish wheels (nicest stock C6 wheels I've seen, short of a ZR1, IMO). I usually only go to the Highline auction in West Palm, but I had never been to Fort Lauderdale so wanted to check it out. Turned out to be an expensive day.

This thing makes the C5 I bought back in the spring seem asthmatic and it makes my '96 Cobra feel like it's powered by a D16 Civic motor.

Build quality is as awful as ever; it is a Corvette and this is something that demands attention with the C7. The apologists can say whatever they want but the fit and finish, build quality, and materials are all second rate at best. But be that as it may, I'm stuck in So.Florida with a yellow cruise missile. I like the power top, and the keyless go system works very well. Highway mileage is superb, and the powertrain is phenomenal.

For the dealers that lurk on here I already have a dummy listing up on OVE with photos to come in a day or so.

See less See more
#4 ·
Auto, Yawn...

#16 ·
I just yanked out that fuse for the rest of the weekend, but other than that (and the fuse IS going back in) it will be 100% stock.

Collector value is hard to say really, it's only 2 years old. 20 years down the line it may have a strong draw to it. It seems like special edition Vettes have their followers and bring a mild premium in price.

For some reason 35th Anniversary Vettes seem to bring people out of the wood work. 40th Anniversary Corvettes all seem to have been beaten to death. 50th Anniversary Corvettes seem not to move the meter one way or the other really (maybe too new still). I'd guess it's value somewhere along the lines of the Mustang GT-H; which also took a few years to show up used on the retail market. 375 is pretty limited as far as limited goes really. It's not a unicorn, but it's certainly a rare bird.

#22 ·
I rented one in Vegas last year. Super ****ty quality on the inside, felt like I was driving a Cavalier with a big engine. Felt quick, but not fast. The car did get a lot of looks though. Drove it to Flagstaff and then to the Grand Canyon and back. Hertz upgraded me at the airport for $100 for the weekend, on top of my $23/day full size priceline win.

#29 ·
The materials in the Vette's interior are fine for all but the most sensitive of metrosexuals. Like I always say, there are a few legitimate complaints to be had with the C6 (steering feel, Chevy dealerships, turning radius, reliability-at least in the case of my example although they generally tend to be pretty reliable) but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the interior (actually there are a few small things wrong like no power seat recline but that's minor)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.