VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 27 of 107 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Thread: The "you need a Miata" thread

Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      03-28-2012 02:42 PM #651
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post

I was chatting with him the other day and told him if he ever wants to get rid of it to let me know. He told me to make him an offer (he was serious) as he never drives it anymore. If I were to make an offer, whats the going rate for these things?
      Where are you located? That makes a big difference.

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Cobra
      03-28-2012 02:53 PM #652

I was chatting with him the other day and told him if he ever wants to get rid of it to let me know. He told me to make him an offer (he was serious) as he never drives it anymore. If I were to make an offer, whats the going rate for these things?
      He's probably going to be one of those guys who wants $15k for their barely used Miatas. I understand the appeal of clean low mileage cars but you'd be better off finding one with 3x the miles. But if he wants in the range of $7k I'd say go for it.

If it is a 97 M it should look like this.

Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

Vehicles
      95R Miata; 06 4Runner
      03-28-2012 02:54 PM #653
      Quote Originally Posted by smigelski View Post
      pics
      mamb 2012?

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2003 Honda S2000, 2007 Honda Fit Sport
      03-28-2012 03:29 PM #654
      Quote Originally Posted by mellbergVWfan View Post
      He's probably going to be one of those guys who wants $15k for their barely used Miatas. I understand the appeal of clean low mileage cars but you'd be better off finding one with 3x the miles. But if he wants in the range of $7k I'd say go for it.

i had one for some time. really liked it. a real winner autocrossing, with an intake and corksport exhaust it was great fun. direzza star specs are soooo cheap in that sizing and they are just evil. here is a photo at stock ride height (4x4 mode).

Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      #fakerich Honda
      03-28-2012 03:39 PM #655
      Quote Originally Posted by mellbergVWfan View Post

Nah, he's definitely not the kind of guy looking for stupid money. He gets that its a 15 year old car at this point. He just takes great care of his cars, knows I like them and appreciate well kept older ones, and isn't opposed to finally giving it up.

And yeah, its that green color, with the original chrome m-edition wheels as well.

I haven't decided if I'll actually take him up on it and make an offer. I want a fair price. I don't want to insult him by lowballing him, but I'm also not an absolute Miata freak willing to fork over above market pricing for unicorn example. I like NAs a lot, but its not as if I'm obsessed with them.

Also, since I'm not a hardcore Miata nut, I'd probably only end up keeping it a few years (unless of course I'm converted). The appealing thing about this car is that its in such good shape, if I just kept up with the regular maintenance I imagine I could sell it in a few years and not take much of a hit on depreciation.

So $7K is your range? Any others wanna chime in?

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2003 Honda S2000, 2007 Honda Fit Sport
      03-28-2012 03:43 PM #656
      i paid 3700 for mine, but it was pretty rough when i got it...no rust though and only 72k. it was a bit ugly though. definitely had been hit lightly in the front. i pulled the seats out to clean underneath them, the car had dings/dents, a cracked windshield, and needed a new antenna (which is a b!tch to replace). i'd say total i had about 4500 into it in parts/regular maintenance. and that was for a 7ish/10 in condition when i bought it. the plugs had never been replaced, never had coolant done, etc. it needed a lot of maintenance/updating.

i think 6-7k is a very fair price for a sub-60k NA with no rust that is a less than common edition.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      03-28-2012 04:20 PM #657
      Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake View Post
      mamb 2012?
      Were you there?

Vehicles
      03-28-2012 04:24 PM #658

Near Philly my Dad bought a 95 C package ( leather, but non-M) with 24k miles for around $7k. I think that would be a reasonable price for the 97M.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      03-28-2012 06:34 PM #659
      Quote Originally Posted by kenny301 View Post
      I am thinking of telling him either he can knock $600 off the price or sell it to me for $2800. Does that sound fair?
      I think you're missing the point of Roadsters for sale in the Summer. Buyers don't really have haggle room. When you say what you wrote above, the guy's response will most likely be "Ok, I think I'll just wait to see what one of the other 16people that called about the car have to say."

If the car has a ratty top, that means you have about 5mos to drive the car and save up the money.

Vehicles
      Mustang GT
      03-28-2012 07:01 PM #660
      Quote Originally Posted by kenny301 View Post
      there is a 1997 with 110k on it for sale close to me. The guy wants $3400 but it needs a new top, which he says that he can get installed for $600. I am thinking of telling him either he can knock $600 off the price or sell it to me for $2800. Does that sound fair?
      Honestly, it sounds like a $4000 car with a bad top, which would place it right around 3400. offer whatever you want but 2800 sounds unrealistic if it's clean.
      The good news: I gave up on being one of the cool kids!

Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      03-29-2012 06:31 AM #661
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      I think you're missing the point of Roadsters for sale in the Summer. Buyers don't really have haggle room. When you say what you wrote above, the guy's response will most likely be "Ok, I think I'll just wait to see what one of the other 16people that called about the car have to say."

If the car has a ratty top, that means you have about 5mos to drive the car and save up the money.
      Quote Originally Posted by Bias_Ply View Post
      Honestly, it sounds like a $4000 car with a bad top, which would place it right around 3400. offer whatever you want but 2800 sounds unrealistic if it's clean.
      Makes sense. I haven't seen the car yet outside of tiny CL pictures. I may go check it out in the next day or two

Vehicles
      95R Miata; 06 4Runner
      03-29-2012 11:22 AM #662
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      Were you there?
      Unfortunately, no...

I had some last minute business pop up that took me out of town for the weekend. Looks like you had a good turn out for the battleship run!

Vehicles
      03-29-2012 11:51 AM #663
      Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake View Post
      Unfortunately, no...

I had some last minute business pop up that took me out of town for the weekend. Looks like you had a good turn out for the battleship run!
      The whole trip was a great time! If you look closely, you'll see me on the deck of the battleship. Apparently, I didn't get the memo about the picture and was left behind.

03-29-2012 10:18 PM #664
      Bought a set of Koni Yellows for the NB today. FM springs are next (don't care about adjustable coilovers...)

This car needs so much work it's not even funny.

Vehicles
      Things with wheels, sometimes upside down
      03-30-2012 07:03 PM #665
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      Actually it looks gloriously perfect. I sometimes wish I went with a low-key color for my Track Miata build. It's at the other end of the spectrum:

Current state isn't much different, sadly. I'd like it to be a runner this summer though.

Well.....understated is nice but it also is basically the color of the pavement so it also blends in with the pavement. Orange will be very nice as EVERYONE on track will see you.

After 1.5 years (50% of that time I was overseas), my track Miata is finished and I will be doing my first lapping event this weekend at Putnam Park in Indiana...hoping to have my TT competition license by the end of the summer.

Here are a few pics of the build starting from a bare frame. I will be adding another set of door bars, a petty bar and a better dash bar over the winter.

And I used every trick in the book for heat management. Wrapped the headers, heat wrapped the coolant lines and airbox, heatshield over the radiator, lots of ducting for the radiator, adjusted the headlight doors to let airflow in the engine bay, and got the biggest, baddest radiator + remote thermostat.

FJ and Benz project pics on Instagram: G60CAB

82 500 SEC......Roadhouse
      07 FJ...............3" lift, 305/70/17s, lots of skid plates, lots of Dynamat
      99 M3..............twinscrewed and wallet hungry

Vehicles
      '77 S30, '85 AE86
      03-31-2012 12:42 AM #666
      Nah, he's definitely not the kind of guy looking for stupid money. He gets that its a 15 year old car at this point. He just takes great care of his cars, knows I like them and appreciate well kept older ones, and isn't opposed to finally giving it up.

And yeah, its that green color, with the original chrome m-edition wheels as well.

I haven't decided if I'll actually take him up on it and make an offer. I want a fair price. I don't want to insult him by lowballing him, but I'm also not an absolute Miata freak willing to fork over above market pricing for unicorn example. I like NAs a lot, but its not as if I'm obsessed with them.

Also, since I'm not a hardcore Miata nut, I'd probably only end up keeping it a few years (unless of course I'm converted). The appealing thing about this car is that its in such good shape, if I just kept up with the regular maintenance I imagine I could sell it in a few years and not take much of a hit on depreciation.

I paid $3500 for my clean '97 M. But I also live in California. Sometimes there's a really good deal that pops up on craigslist if you can jump on it right away.

Vehicles
      03-31-2012 07:21 AM #667
      http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...931049308.html

7900, 5k, hard top. I'd have to borrow 2-3k to afford that one though
      Last edited by kenny301; 03-31-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Vehicles
      '13 FR-S
      03-31-2012 02:29 PM #668
      Quote Originally Posted by MAGICGTI View Post
      Bought a set of Koni Yellows for the NB today. FM springs are next (don't care about adjustable coilovers...)

This car needs so much work it's not even funny.
      Can't go wrong with Koni Yellows, I love mine
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 7/28]

Vehicles
      2013 Mazda 2, 1996 Mazda Miata
      03-31-2012 03:28 PM #669
      I've had mine for about three years now. After doing a fair amount of autocrossing with it last year, I decided to actually prep it for E Stock.

It now sports a racing beat cat back, koni yellows, FCM bumpstops, racing beat front swaybar, Kumho V710 R comps on the stock wheels.

The "before" picture:

Playing around in Forza 4 to get the decals how I wanted them:

The end result:

Stock wheels painted to match:

Vehicles
      '99 Miata, '06 xB, '97 Odyssey, '84 C10
      04-10-2012 08:19 AM #670

oh, and the chick in the pic... owns the car, and drifts it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/383250...zda-miata-mx-5
      I'm just your local purveyor of Miata and Nissan Z-car fanboyism.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
      Because then you'd be shopping at Kmart, where it always smells like 1976.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R line, 61 Merc. 220b
      04-10-2012 08:29 AM #671
      ^^ cool, shes romanian too! finally something good comes out of our country haha

22. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-10-2012 08:36 AM #672
      Quote Originally Posted by yurikaze View Post
      I paid $3500 for my clean '97 M. But I also live in California. Sometimes there's a really good deal that pops up on craigslist if you can jump on it right away.
      I like.

23. 04-11-2012 11:46 PM #673
      well I broke down and got one. pics to come, black 92 c-spec, mild autox mods, a little rust, and a sticker price of $1950. its sweet, going to toss some wheels on it and cleen er up a bit before I show you all.

its takeing the place of the 82 rx7 in the sig.
      I'm a certified vw/mazda dealer tech and I run a modification shop on the side.
      02 beetle tdi,00 jetta 2x4, 92 miata,,30 pontiac.

Vehicles
      '13 FR-S
      04-28-2012 02:31 PM #674
      Bumping this thread. I was cruising through the city with the top down yesterday, and I saw an empty curb! So I took a picture.

Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 7/28]

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 02:34 PM #675
      ^^^^I dig the wheels on that.

Page 27 of 107 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast