Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: OT Travel Thread

1. 09-06-2011 08:54 AM #1
      So I searched 'travel', but I didn't come across an existing thread in OT. (inb4wehaveatravelforum!!1!)

I recently went to Peru with my wife. I was going to post some of these in the hiking thread, but since there isn't much hiking going on in these pictures, and we have a thread for everything except travel, I thought I'd start off the OT Travel thread.

Flying over the Andes on our way to Cusco:

Driving from Cusco to Ollantaytambo:

Stopping along the way to see some ruins. These were at about 11K ft above sa level...probably not a good idea to start a trip that high up (got altitude sickness 5 days into the trip).

The entrance into Ollantaytambo. We spend about 4 days here. It was an awesome little town. Good food too! Had delicious Alpaca steak, and some of the best burritos I've ever had here.

Main square:

view of town from the local ruins:

A little street near our hotel. What was really neat was that it seemed like the foundations of the houses were basically the same as the ruins, except they hadn't been abandoned.

When we arrived at Machu Picchu it was still really foggy. There are a TON of trails/hikes nearby that you never hear about so we went to check some out until the fog burned off. It was a good thing we didn't wake up at 4:00am for the sunrise. We couldn't see 10 feet in front ofus when we arrived at 8am. There is a drop off the side in this picture of a few hundred feet. It was a really neat hike.

The sun finally came out around 12 or so:

We decided to take a hike up the mountain behind where I took the picture above from. We still call it the death hike. It was basically a staircase up a mountain, and combined with the onset of altitude sickness we were just beat to hell by it. The view was great though (and we didn't even go all the way to the top!). That little green clearing is what you also see in the previous picture.

Next we went back to Cusco. Its a neat city. Something like 300K people living over 10,000ft above sea level. Pics haven't been loaded yet, so I'll load some later.

Lastly it was on to Lima. Didn't spend much time there, but did check out the changing of the guard, a mall on an ocean side cliff, and some catacombs. Its a city of 9M people or so, with sidewalks smaller than my neighborhood. It felt a little cramped. The seafood was mind blowing. The ceviche is the best seafood dish I've ever had...and my wife is from Maine.

Changing of the guard is slightly different than in England.

We've begun discussing our next destination. The short list so far is Southeast Asia (Thailand or Vietnam), Iceland, Costa Rica or Argentina.

So where has OT been recently?

2. 09-06-2011 10:03 AM #2
      I'm a little confused... Are you posting this because there's not an OT travel thread, or because you were unaware that we DO have a travel forum?

PS nice pics.
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      There's a larger collective IQ in the load I blew down the shower drain this morning than behind the counter at any Starbucks within a 10-mile radius of my house.

3. 09-06-2011 10:12 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by skaterhernandez4 View Post
      I'm a little confused... Are you posting this because there's not an OT travel thread, or because you were unaware that we DO have a travel forum?

PS nice pics.
      I never frequent the travel forum, but yes I know one exists. Most threads in OT belong in other forums...I just thought I'd do my part to continue the problem.

I searched OT for Travel threads and didn't find one, so I thought I'd start one.

4. 04-28-2012 10:21 PM #4
      OP I saw your post on the canon nikon thread and saw you went to Peru, I went last year too and then proceeded to stalk your threads to see if you had pictures of your trip.

You flew over the Andes, I went to the Andes. My pockets weren't big enough to go to Cusco.

I visited the Ancash region, Huaraz being the main city was beautiful, and I was amazed at the diversity there were people from all over the world there. I visited the ruins in the area and then the Cordillera Blanca. I have tons of photos but I just never got to editing them or even converting them to Jpeg format. I have these for now.

llanganuco 3 by BrianCerna, on Flickr

llanganuco 2 by BrianCerna, on Flickr

llanganuco by BrianCerna, on Flickr

moon over the Andes by BrianCerna, on Flickr

The highest I went was 12,464 feet. which is at the lake, but the highest peak in the cordillera is 22,199feet which is the Huascaran mountain.
      Last edited by 09vdubgti; 04-28-2012 at 10:26 PM.
      Need detailing work done, PM me...located in central jersey!

Vehicles
      MTA
      04-29-2012 12:26 AM #5
      Nowhere recently, unfortunately.

I just had a buddy offer to let me stay with him in England and another friend offer to let me use his car in Ireland. Too bad I accepted a full-time job a few weeks ago and can afford to go-- but don't have the vacation time.

Vehicles
      '00 A4 1.8t, '11 BMW 128i M-Sport
      04-29-2012 12:32 AM #6
      Just finished up a study abroad in London last week. I was gone from the first week in January until now. While I was gone I visited Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Italy, Germany, Czech Republic, and Denmark. I also got to tour Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, Jaguar, and Mini Cooper. It was the most fun four months I think I have ever had. I have about a zillion pictures I took that I could put in here but this would become a huge thread...

04-29-2012 12:34 AM #7
      I'll hopefully be able to visit my brother in Bordeaux France withing the next half year or so. He managed to finagle his way into getting his UK passport so he's staying there for the time being.
      stay in drugs, eat school, and don't do vegetables
      permanent vacation

Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI, 1959 Vw Bug
      04-29-2012 01:19 AM #8
      Suddenly my trip to Texas in two weeks seems so insignificant.

Thanks.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      92 vw corrado
      04-29-2012 07:38 AM #9
      Just did 6 days in Rome.

10. 04-30-2012 11:57 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 09vdubgti View Post
      OP I saw your post on the canon nikon thread and saw you went to Peru, I went last year too and then proceeded to stalk your threads to see if you had pictures of your trip.

You flew over the Andes, I went to the Andes. My pockets weren't big enough to go to Cusco.

I visited the Ancash region, Huaraz being the main city was beautiful, and I was amazed at the diversity there were people from all over the world there. I visited the ruins in the area and then the Cordillera Blanca. I have tons of photos but I just never got to editing them or even converting them to Jpeg format. I have these for now.
      The highest I went was 12,464 feet. which is at the lake, but the highest peak in the cordillera is 22,199feet which is the Huascaran mountain.
      Awesome pictures. I'd love to go back, but will likely be heading elsewhere next. The wife and I have been looking into Costa Rica and other CA countries. We were planning on Southeast Asia, but her vacation time at her new job leaves something to be desired, and a proper multi week trip there would pretty much use up her full allotment for the year.

Prior to that we might be doing a weeklong family trip to Ireland with the inlaws, wife's sister and huband. It'd be a weeklong pubcrawl.

11. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-30-2012 12:34 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      I love traveling Ohio to visit the mounds, I fully plan on visiting South America so I can visit some of the sites and ruins.

Leaving on Friday afternoon for the great American experience that is Disney. Not my choice of vacation spots but I'm being a team player with the wife and kids on this one...just once.

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      04-30-2012 03:14 PM #12
      with love from Rome -

Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line
      04-30-2012 04:43 PM #13
      Nice shots compy

We went to Rome and Florence last Spring. Planning a trip to Ireland in September.

Quote Originally Posted by JKREW
      These kind of threads make me want to punch puppies in the face.
      Flickr

14. 04-30-2012 04:57 PM #14
      I thought Rome and Florence were awesome. Best meal of my life was in Florence.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-30-2012 05:08 PM #15
      Damn, a lot of amazing pictures. Peru looks incredible. I would probably have altitude sickness with the quickness if I went there. Visiting Macchu Picchu is definitely something that's on my bucket list. Astonishing to think that the Incas felt like they should build a town up there so high in the Andes.

Vehicles
      00' BMW 528i
      04-30-2012 05:40 PM #16
      Well, I'm currently studying abroad in Salzburg and just got back from a weekend trip to Berlin. Been to:
      Munich
      Linz, Austria
      Hallein/Bad Durnnberg, Austria
      Nürburg(for the 'Ring, duh)

That's it so far, I've got until June 2 here. The program is taking my group to Vienna too, I'm going to try to get to Bratislava. A few of us are going to try to get to Prague as well before we leave. I'd like to explore more of Austria, it's such a beautiful country. Here are a few pics from travels so far.

View of the Alps from the University in Salzburg.

A Passage decorated for Easter.

Schloss Nymphenburg in Munich.

St. Peters Church cemetery, it's one of the oldest churches in Salzburg. St. Rupert, founder of "modern" Salzburg is buried in the church.

A view over Slazburg from a cannon emplacement in Festung Hohensalzburg. The church is the Salzburg Cathedral and former residence of the ruling Bishops of Salzburg.

My brother and I(on the left) posing with Sabine Schmitz at the 4-14 VLN race at the Nürburgring.

No caption really necessary here. This was taken in the Bad Durrnberg salt mine, not sure if this is on the German or Austrian side of the mine.

Neo-Gothic cathedral in Linz, Austria.

An evening view of the "Altstadt" and Hohensalzburg. Pics really don't show how high the fortress really sits above the city.

Great Patriotic War memorial in Berlin.

An original section of Berlin wall pretty much how it was when it was still in use.

What's left of the foundation of houses that were demolished because the occupants kept jumping out their windows into West Berlin since their house was the border.

Erik
      Build model cars? Race RC cars? Check out Central Ohio's best hobby shop

17. 04-30-2012 06:09 PM #17
      Mis-read the title as OT Time Travel Thread, leaving disappointed.

Vehicles
      2011 Genesis 3.8 R-spec
      04-30-2012 06:24 PM #18
      was in Montego Bay Jamaica a few weeks back

GOOD PICS

sunrise at Sandals

hangin out with the local people that live/work there, really cool people

Sunset

Our building

CELL PICS

Scotchies (was on travel channel) had to go

hanging out with our driver there for lunch, great guy

half a chicken, 1/2 lb pork & 2 beers for $22 USD

Basically sums it up

Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      He did this at 22 old. He is world strongest man. President Obama ordered him to stop but truth must come out. Buy silver in middle of week.

19. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-01-2012 12:24 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by ErikGTI View Post
      Well, I'm currently studying abroad in Salzburg and just got back from a weekend trip to Berlin.
      I'm curious, studying what?

My brother and I(on the left) posing with Sabine Schmitz at the 4-14 VLN race at the Nürburgring.
      You and NoDub.

Vehicles
      00' BMW 528i
      05-01-2012 02:17 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      I'm curious, studying what?

German. I was lucky that I was far enough along in the German program that I can get my German minor out of the way while here for the quarter. That would have taken me this spring quarter plus all of next year.

Erik
      Build model cars? Race RC cars? Check out Central Ohio's best hobby shop

21. Member
      05-01-2012 03:56 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post

Prior to that we might be doing a weeklong family trip to Ireland with the inlaws, wife's sister and huband. It'd be a weeklong pubcrawl.
      Do it, you won't regret it

Ireland isn't on many peoples travel radars when planning a trip to Europe but it is one of my favorite places. I liked it so much that I actually moved there for awhile. Its pretty expensive but it is an absolutely gorgeous place. The people are tremendous. I'm considering moving back there once I finish my degrees

22. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-01-2012 06:56 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by ErikGTI View Post
      German. I was lucky that I was far enough along in the German program that I can get my German minor out of the way while here for the quarter. That would have taken me this spring quarter plus all of next year.

Erik
      Thanks.

Vehicles
      2007 VW GTi Edition 30
      05-01-2012 07:39 AM #23
      Wow some great places, pictures and exotic locations in this thread, I've been loads of places in Europe, so for me travelling to the states is quite far flung. Last year a couple of friends and I did this-

My buddy Chris at the Grand Canyon

LA from Mulholland Drive at night.

C&C in Irvine,

San Fran

Area 51

Monument Valley

Went a bunch of other places, through Texas, Tennessee and Florida.

Through D.C,

Ended in NYC,

6 weeks of great fun. I'm coming back for 2 weeks in Florida come June 16th but it's not really the same
      2007 Volkswagen Golf GTi Edition 30
      US Coast to Coast Roadtrip Jun '11.

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line
      05-01-2012 08:15 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyGTI View Post
      I thought Rome and Florence were awesome. Best meal of my life was in Florence.
      Agreed. We had bad restaurant luck in Rome, but we figured it out by Florence.
      Quote Originally Posted by JKREW
      These kind of threads make me want to punch puppies in the face.
      Flickr

Vehicles
      2005 Outback XT, Truck, Boat, Quad
      05-01-2012 10:12 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by SurferbobGolf View Post
      Agreed. We had bad restaurant luck in Rome, but we figured it out by Florence.
      ah rome. amazing.

did two weeks in rome, florence, pisa, french riviera, and eastern coast of spain.

it beat paris. just booked a flight to rome, drive to Almafi Coast, then bullet train up to switzerland. looking foward to it.
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Giant deer orgy statue, whale sex videos, and turtle pee-pee which pops out like a pouncing snake.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      05-01-2012 11:40 AM #26
      Nice pics everyone.. I'd post some but my Photobucket account is maxed out.

We've been busy since last summer:

Switzerland/Italian Riviera/Monaco/Provence
      Oktoberfest, including BMW and Audi museums
      Rome
      Nürburgring

Starting next week through the summer:
      Paris
      Autostadt
      Porsche Museum
      DTM race in Nürnberg- possible
      Rallye Germany with a stop in Nürburg on the way down
      Ireland- BIG driving trip
      Oktoberfest

I think that's it...

27. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-01-2012 11:46 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      We've been busy since last summer:

Switzerland/Italian Riviera/Monaco/Provence
      Oktoberfest, including BMW and Audi museums
      Rome
      Nürburgring

Starting next week through the summer:
      Paris
      Autostadt
      Porsche Museum
      DTM race in Nürnberg- possible
      Rallye Germany with a stop in Nürburg on the way down
      Ireland- BIG driving trip
      Oktoberfest

I think that's it...
      Awesome list. Very cool.
      Please post pics of Ireland. And Oktoberfest...again!

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      05-01-2012 01:14 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      Awesome list. Very cool.
      Please post pics of Ireland. And Oktoberfest...again!
      We've definitely been having fun! We spent the first year here paying off the house that we sold in MN (ouch ) and then we had the twins... So we've really been hitting the travel since they were around a year old.

Ireland should be interesting. My wife has been there, but neither my parents or I have been. We plan on flying into Dublin, renting a car and then hitting the southern portion of the country. I've never driven stick in a RHD car... but my dad has. Both my mom and wife can drive a manual, but I don't think they'll be doing any driving on this trip! We've already mapped out most of the trip.

Now to go give Photobucket some money for the "premier" account...

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      05-01-2012 01:27 PM #29
      I really want to visit Machu Picchu. It's on my list of places to travel in the next few years.

This fall it's going to be Europe. Land in Frankfurt, visit the Porsche Museum and drive the Nurburgring (any suggestions of where to stay at the Ring, which car to rent would be appreciated) and probably see some castles. Open to suggestions for the few days we are in Germany.

After that we drive to Poland to visit my GF's grandparents and extended family. We will be all over Poland for a week and a half. Then we fly to Greece for a week and then home. The only part we haven't done much planning around is the time we're in Germany. I have to organize a lot of that.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      05-01-2012 01:39 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      This fall it's going to be Europe. Land in Frankfurt, visit the Porsche Museum and drive the Nurburgring (any suggestions of where to stay at the Ring, which car to rent would be appreciated) and probably see some castles. Open to suggestions for the few days we are in Germany. .
      I've been to Nürburg a handful of times now...

I've stayed at Hotel zur Burg twice and my brother stayed at Hotel am Tiergarten. Both are FANTASTIC hotels, right in the village of Nürburg not more than 5 minutes from the Touristenfahrten entrance.

I've always had my POV, but one of my friends from work rented a prepped Suzuki Swift from Rent4Ring: http://www.rent4ring.de/ He did the 2 lap deal for 160€ - which included insurance, fuel, a two lap card (52€ value alone), and the car. I rode along for one lap and it was fantastic! I was very impressed with the car! He went with the stage one car because it was pretty cold the day we were there and the stage two had racing slicks...

There's also Rent Racecar: http://www.rentracecar.de/ - I have no experience with them though...

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      05-01-2012 01:43 PM #31
      I've been to Nürburg a handful of times now...

I've stayed at Hotel zur Burg twice and my brother stayed at Hotel am Tiergarten. Both are FANTASTIC hotels, right in the village of Nürburg not more than 5 minutes from the Touristenfahrten entrance.

I've always had my POV, but one of my friends from work rented a prepped Suzuki Swift from Rent4Ring: http://www.rent4ring.de/ He did the 2 lap deal for 160€ - which included insurance, fuel, a two lap card (52€ value alone), and the car. I rode along for one lap and it was fantastic! I was very impressed with the car! He went with the stage one car because it was pretty cold the day we were there and the stage two had racing slicks...

There's also Rent Racecar: http://www.rentracecar.de/ - I have no experience with them though...
      I figured you'd chime in.

I think the Swift would be fine, my parents have decided to come along on the trip. And then we meet up with my in-laws in Poland too (who are heading over a week earlier). Anyway, I want to rent a Swift as i'm sure it'd be plenty of car for a first timer. My dad, who is a 62 year old Porsche 930 owner (he has 2 of them street/race prep), doesn't want to drive some piss-cutter FWD car. Might have to track down one of the older M3's that are available there for him.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      05-01-2012 05:10 PM #32
      Now to go give Photobucket some money for the "premier" account...
      opt for a flickr pay account over photobucket. your pictures will look much better.

comparing the free accounts that each offer, flickr's upload quality is way better and doesn't downsize pictures. this is basic knowledge, so if anyone who has experience can chime in and correct me, feel free to.
      welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      05-01-2012 05:26 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      opt for a flickr pay account over photobucket. your pictures will look much better.

comparing the free accounts that each offer, flickr's upload quality is way better and doesn't downsize pictures. this is basic knowledge, so if anyone who has experience can chime in and correct me, feel free to.
      Interesting... I believe the Photobucket paid account allows for the original resolution too*.

I'll have to look into both. Thanks.

*apparently it's only for me and they still resize for hotlinking.