Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: my 2009 tdi SportWagen .. ongoing

Vehicles
      '95 e36 m3, '04 e60 530i sport
      03-09-2012 10:48 PM #71
      I was getting some really nasty vibrations at higher speeds on the track a couple of weeks ago. I had both of my sets of wheels checked for balance a few days ago. The Audi "track wheels" were bent as I expected, since they're a craigslist purchase, but I think the vibration I was getting was because the wheels were difficult to mount on the hubs correctly with the spacers in place. That won't happen again.

The more disappointing news was that my DWS tires on the Hartmann Euromesh wheels are starting to delaminate, and that is likely causing the vibration I'm feeling with those wheels. Ugh....
      PNWfahren - Pacific Northwest Regional Car Enthusiast Forum Community
      2009 VW SportWagen TDI sold =-=-= 1995 M3 -=- 2004 530i

03-10-2012 03:33 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by rootrider View Post
      few photos from my last three track days.. have one more coming up next week (brand new track) and then that'll probably be it for this car for a while. A track-day car is in my future..

cornering pretty flat there!

i love the audi 4000 as well. i remember as a kid drooling over a 5+5. i thought it was genius: small car, bigger engine, 5-speed, fun!

Vehicles
      03-10-2012 03:55 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by toneman View Post
      cornering pretty flat there!
      yeah... technically the front suspension should have enough movement to let the body roll some without pushing the tires too much. My coilovers being softer than something like an H&R set is probably a good thing. The front tires need every bit of traction they can get with this car..

4. 03-19-2012 07:24 PM #74
      Hey Joel, it's been a while since I've been really on here. But I just recently decided to go to wuste2012 this year and was wondering if you were goinG to go again this year.

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 04:51 AM #75
      probably not.. I'm saving up for a track day car right now and also need money for the Austin F1 GP this year.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      03-23-2012 11:47 AM #77
      This is the only long thread I've seen that's specific to an '09 JSW. I've just picked up an '09 SEL 2.0T 6MT and was thinking about starting an '09 thread. Wasn't sure whether to make it specific to my car or to do a more general theme. We also have an '11 TDI JSW DSG. The differences and the similarities are interesting to me. Some are generational MK V vs. MK VI, and some are related to feature sets (e.g. TDI vs TSI, 6MT vs DSG).

In either case, I'd appreciate your help. I see you've done some mods to your '09 that seemingly would be different than would be done in a MK VI. (The rear fogs come to mind here.) I'd be glad to help build a knowledge base on this. I'm mostly finished modding my TDI, which helps alot, but there are many things that differ from the '09.

I gather that '09 JSW owners really have two paths to work. One is for MK V Jetta sedans, since the '09 JSW is very similar to the '09 Jetta sedan. The other path is the "normal" MK VI JSW info trail, since the MK VI JSWs evolved out of the '09 JSW.

Vehicles
      2009 JSW 2.0t, SEL
      03-23-2012 05:26 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      This is the only long thread I've seen that's specific to an '09 JSW.
      Well, the "Jetta Sportwagen Thread!!!" used to be exclusively about the 2009s since it was started before the 2010s came out. Now it's a mix.

I gather that '09 JSW owners really have two paths to work. One is for MK V Jetta sedans, since the '09 JSW is very similar to the '09 Jetta sedan. The other path is the "normal" MK VI JSW info trail, since the MK VI JSWs evolved out of the '09 JSW.
      Actually, I've found that having an '09 is a blessing, considering its identical to the MKV sedan in many ways. Must easier finding parts and having the benefit of hundreds of DIYs out there specific to our cars. I'm about to install the OEM wiper/light sensor with dimming mirror (yes, I'm crazy) but found most of the parts in the discount bin or junk yard and have at least 5 DIYs on the subject bookmarked.

Congrats on the car--I know you'll love it.

Vehicles
      03-23-2012 10:08 PM #79
      '09 SEL 2.0T 6MT
      very rare car... good find

In either case, I'd appreciate your help. I see you've done some mods to your '09 that seemingly would be different than would be done in a MK VI. (The rear fogs come to mind here.) I'd be glad to help build a knowledge base on this. I'm mostly finished modding my TDI, which helps alot, but there are many things that differ from the '09.
      the rear fog is the same for any of the wagons. The "mk6" wagon is the same as the mk5 wagon in most areas, especially rear of the dash. The largest differences are that some of the central electronics are changed and the front bumper/grille/lighting has been changed.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about here. The only obvious differences are the frontends. Anything else can really be duplicated between the cars since.. they're the same unless you get into the electronics (and then you can still usually accomplish the same thing between the cars, just by looking at the mk6 electronics instead of the mk5 electronics).

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      03-23-2012 11:57 PM #80
      I just did the rear fog light conversion for my '11 JSW. It involved swapping two wires feeding into the CECM and recoding part of the CECM from North America to RoW. My parts guy checked the CECMs and the '11 has a different part number than the '09 CECM. So I assumed this would involve different wires, even if the basic swap is the same.

Though I know the '09 JSWs have much in common with the '09 Jetta sedans, I remember seeing somewhere that there were some differences in the electronics. When the differences involve electricity and electronics, I get concerned, especially when Bentley is of little use.

So to solve the rear fog issue...which wires to swap, I guess I should look for an '09 JSW example. If I can't find that, then look for a MK V Jetta sedan-based example.

Vehicles
      03-24-2012 12:55 AM #81
      So to solve the rear fog issue...which wires to swap, I guess I should look for an '09 JSW example. If I can't find that, then look for a MK V Jetta sedan-based example.
      as I said.. the biggest difference is with the electronics. There's not much different between the mk5 & mk6 rear fog conversions though.. the cecm part numbers are different, and I think the pin location is a bit different.

Either way, yes, for anything involving wiring or computers you'll want to refer to mk5 rabbit/gti/sedan information. Even then, some things changed for 2009.. like how you remove the battery compartment from the car. For anything not related to wiring or the front body work (or dash) the mk5 & mk6 sportwagens are almost completely identical. Minor difference have occurred over the years... just like through the mk5 years... so that's nothing new.

Vehicles
      MK4 R32 DBP, 04 Denali XL
      04-24-2012 12:02 PM #82
      Question for you - Did you notice a significant decline in MPG when you went from the stock wheels to the 18"ers?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 tdi jsw
      04-24-2012 01:16 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000bora2.0 View Post
      Question for you - Did you notice a significant decline in MPG when you went from the stock wheels to the 18"ers?
      Switching from my summer 19's to my stock 17's with snows I don't really notice anything worth losing sleep about
      Quote Originally Posted by ujelly View Post
      i wuld just lower it bc i will buy lowers b4 i even by it looks great like dat bc they all are so high but when yoi lower it makes it better that you think

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 01:18 PM #84
      first.. the total wheel & tire weight matters a lot more than the size. The only reason size matters at all is that bringing weight farther out from the center has a greater affect than weight that is closer to the center. As an example showing how size matters less.. my 18s with tires are actually lighter than my 17s with tires by 6 lbs on each corner.

second.. I switched between the 16s and the 18s often for a while, with and without the Revo software. The difference was minimal, if there was any at all. This is likely because almost all of my driving is highway. It takes very little power to maintain speed.. the heavier wheels come more into play when accelerating and braking. If was driving around town all the time I probably would have noticed a slight difference between the two.

tldr: nope.. haven't noticed a difference at all. Your driving habits will make so much of a larger difference than a small thing like wheel weight.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 tdi jsw
      04-25-2012 03:47 PM #85
      Nice touareg focal wall you have in your garage!

I have a new Jetta focal wall I'm hoping to put up this summer
      I only took the middle 4 rows as my garage walls are not as tall as the showroom wall
      i wuld just lower it bc i will buy lowers b4 i even by it looks great like dat bc they all are so high but when yoi lower it makes it better that you think

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 12:22 AM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by macscac View Post
      Nice touareg focal wall you have in your garage!

I have a new Jetta focal wall I'm hoping to put up this summer
      I only took the middle 4 rows as my garage walls are not as tall as the showroom wall
      not my garage.. that's a friend's shop/business

my garage looks like this

Vehicles
      (2011) Jetta Sportwagon 2.5 - 5 speed manual trans.
      04-26-2012 08:30 AM #87
      Congratulations for a great thread and an awesome JSW, I've been looking at your car for a few months....

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 11:09 AM #88
      Switching from my summer 19's to my stock 17's with snows I don't really notice anything worth losing sleep about
      Strange. I switched from the stock 16's to some S4 18x8's, and my mileage went from around 40 a tank, to 33 a tank. Actually going to take them off, because I drive 3k miles a month, and ca use that extra mileage.

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 11:12 AM #89
      first.. the total wheel & tire weight matters a lot more than the size. The only reason size matters at all is that bringing weight farther out from the center has a greater affect than weight that is closer to the center. As an example showing how size matters less.. my 18s with tires are actually lighter than my 17s with tires by 6 lbs on each corner.

second.. I switched between the 16s and the 18s often for a while, with and without the Revo software. The difference was minimal, if there was any at all. This is likely because almost all of my driving is highway. It takes very little power to maintain speed.. the heavier wheels come more into play when accelerating and braking. If was driving around town all the time I probably would have noticed a slight difference between the two.

tldr: nope.. haven't noticed a difference at all. Your driving habits will make so much of a larger difference than a small thing like wheel weight.
      Thanks for the response. As mentioned in my last post above, my mileage is getting murdered. But yes, the wheels are probably 5lbs heavier per corner.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 tdi jsw
      04-26-2012 03:17 PM #90
      Strange. I switched from the stock 16's to some S4 18x8's, and my mileage went from around 40 a tank, to 33 a tank. Actually going to take them off, because I drive 3k miles a month, and ca use that extra mileage.

something else has to be effecting your performance.

im on 19's and have a roof rack with 2 bike attachements on and im still averaging 36ish on my daily commute.
      my commute is a 30 mile stretch on i90 between cda and spokane. cruise set at 74

if you are getting 33 then something is off or you are doing 80+mpg

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 05:53 AM #91

im on 19's and have a roof rack with 2 bike attachements on and im still averaging 36ish on my daily commute.
      my commute is a 30 mile stretch on i90 between cda and spokane. cruise set at 74

I average around 33mpg overall.. but he definitely shouldn't be seeing such a large difference between different wheels if the only difference is weight.

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 11:36 AM #92

I don't do more than 75. In fact - most of the freeway driving is around 70

I average around 33mpg overall.. but he definitely shouldn't be seeing such a large difference between different wheels if the only difference is weight.
      Weight, diameter and width. Think some Ultraleggeras will solve the problem?

22. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      05-12-2012 06:54 PM #93
      I'm starting to assemble parts for my '09 mod fest. I'd like to put a high line CECM in it for the fog lights and, perhaps, OEM HIDs.

Do you have a good part number for the high line CECM suitable for an '09 JSW? I asked a site sponsor for a suitable part number, but he said "VW doesn't support that upgrade." I'm pretty sure a 2009 or 2010 GLI CECM w/HIDs would be the right target, but I'd like to be sure.

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 11:14 PM #94
      I'm starting to assemble parts for my '09 mod fest. I'd like to put a high line CECM in it for the fog lights and, perhaps, OEM HIDs.

Do you have a good part number for the high line CECM suitable for an '09 JSW? I asked a site sponsor for a suitable part number, but he said "VW doesn't support that upgrade." I'm pretty sure a 2009 or 2010 GLI CECM w/HIDs would be the right target, but I'd like to be sure.
      any new mk5 highline cecm will do.. except for the 2010 Jetta sedan. Anything 2010 and later has updated electronics.

I just told my parts guy that I wanted the the mk5 highline cecm... picking a 2008 gti will do the trick, for example

My part number is 3C8-937-049-AC .. if you give a dealer or web site that number they'll be able to find out if it's been superseded and then just give you the latest part.

Vehicles
      05-24-2012 09:37 AM #95
      finally got some photos up from my last track day. This was at The Ridge Motorsports Park.. a brand new high speed flowing track with a lot of elevation change. It was really wet at first.. dried out toward the end.

every single first day I've had at each of the tracks I've driven has been super wet so far

video from that day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I30wjeGaHM&hd=1

and some photos:

this was possibly my last track day in this car. I've been saving, slowly, for a track day car (e36 m3) for a while now, and I'm almost out of tread on my tires. Paying for the track time and new tires would be a huge chunk out of the new car budget. This wagon is a really great handling car (seriously outhandles most other cars through tight turns) but it's just not that fast, and I've been close to hitting the car's limit for a while now. It's time to get something better.. and just leave the wagon to be a daily road car

Vehicles
      2010 JSW TDI
      05-24-2012 09:59 AM #96
      this was possibly my last track day in this car. I've been saving, slowly, for a track day car (e36 m3) for a while now, and I'm almost out of tread on my tires. Paying for the track time and new tires would be a huge chunk out of the new car budget. This wagon is a really great handling car (seriously outhandles most other cars through tight turns) but it's just not that fast, and I've been close to hitting the car's limit for a while now. It's time to get something better.. and just leave the wagon to be a daily road car
      We give you permission to stop tracking this car only if you continue to post your track video and pics.

'10 JSW TDI | DSG | Reflex Silver | 18x8 Sparco Assetto Gara | Conti DWS 235-40-18 | Malone Stage 2 | Malone DSG Tune | 30% Llumar tint | DieselGeek Skid Plate | Eibach Pro Series kit | ECS Fogs | R20 replica HIDs | Done for now

Vehicles
      05-24-2012 11:41 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by shirtsTDI View Post
      We give you permission to stop tracking this car only if you continue to post your track video and pics.

haha..
      well, chances are that the car will see some track time when I drive to Austin for F1 (have friends in the area who can get me on a track or two). But that may be it then.

There will, of course, be videos and pics with the m3 (may have to wait until after summer before I can pick one up), but I'd have little reason to post those in this specific forum

Vehicles
      03 Bora Variant 1.8T, 07 Golf 2.5, 08 Polo 9n3 1.4TDI, 14 Tiguan S 6mt
      05-24-2012 02:37 PM #98
      Always been a fan of your car OP.

Vehicles
      06-05-2012 05:40 AM #99
      replaced the closed honeycomb fog grilles with open grilles that are also in better shape

replaced the oem VW centercaps with Hartmann centercaps.. no more people thinking my wheels are factory

replaced the front chrome VW badge with a flat black VW badge

I'll have pics at some point

06-06-2012 01:57 PM #100

Vehicles
      07-17-2012 12:51 PM #101
      replaced the closed honeycomb fog grilles with open grilles that are also in better shape

replaced the oem VW centercaps with Hartmann centercaps.. no more people thinking my wheels are factory

replaced the front chrome VW badge with a flat black VW badge

here we go..

It's pretty amazing how I've had several people ask me if I have new wheels now, with the new center caps. Apparently having OEM VW center caps on wheels really does make people think that they are OEM.

I've also installed the JOM short black aluminium antenna. I've been running with the factory tall antenna removed for a couple of years. This antenna is only a few inches tall but still looks similar enough that it appears to be OEM.

I like the black badge much better with these grilles.. still like the factory chrome badge with the GT/R-Line front end, which I'm starting to want back on the car. I need to buy new R-Line grilles and have the GT grille repainted first though.

the open honeycomb fog grilles look soooooo much better than the completely closed ones.

oh, I also mounted a new set of DWS tires. The last set lasted somewhere around 40 - 50k miles (amazing for me.. all other tires I've run have lasted 25k or less). The old set was pretty worn.. I kept one tire that still has some usable tread left and will be mounting it on my extra Euromesh 3 wheel as a full size spare for when I drive to Austin later this year.
      Last edited by rootrider; 07-17-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Vehicles
      07-19-2012 08:31 AM #102
      I need to get the gt/r-line grilles back on the car...

Vehicles
      Audi 90 & Sportwagen sold... now 95.5 urS6 Avant
      07-19-2012 02:07 PM #103
      I like the honeycomb more...

Vehicles
      07-20-2012 10:59 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by timmiller05 View Post
      I like the honeycomb more...
      really? interesting

Vehicles
      2010 JSW TDI
      07-20-2012 04:25 PM #105
      Though I do like your car both ways, the honeycomb with black emblem gives the car a "nasty" look. While the regular grill with the chrome emblem is just cleaner and more show-like. I think my favorite of the two looks is the show-like with your Hartmanns. Just my opinion... Your car is beautiful either way though Joel.

'10 JSW TDI | DSG | Reflex Silver | 18x8 Sparco Assetto Gara | Conti DWS 235-40-18 | Malone Stage 2 | Malone DSG Tune | 30% Llumar tint | DieselGeek Skid Plate | Eibach Pro Series kit | ECS Fogs | R20 replica HIDs | Done for now

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast