Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Tiguan SEL rear view camera

1. 09-09-2011 11:11 PM #1
      Hello, new here. So I did a search and see there are a number of issues related to the rear view camera or lack thereof. On the VW site, is says the 2012 SEL with prem nav and the SEL with prem nav and dynaudio have rear view camera standard. However, I went to look at one this evening, and discovered there is no RVC nor back up sensors. When I searched some other VW dealers (not the one I visited), the SEL models listed had "W/O RVC" prominently displayed on their SEL listings. The VW Build and Price site shows this as standard, but the e-brochure doesn't even mention it. Any info on this? Thanks. I was actually ready to buy, and my wife loves the car, but without a camera or sensors, it's no deal, especially for almost $39k.

2. 09-09-2011 11:27 PM #2
      I believe there is a shortage of the cameras caused by the earthquake in Japan.

Kirk

Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan 2.0T 4M - Comfortline (SE)
      09-09-2011 11:33 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by dylanvw View Post
      Any info on this? Thanks.
      to the Vortex Tiguan forum. You are not the only one in the same boat. The reason: the earthquake in Japan. Many vehicles and other businesses have been negatively impacted by the loss of Japan's ability to deliver the high-tech modules etc required for the RVC and many other auto components.

This has been mentioned many times on different forums should you want to confirm what I am saying.
      Current: 2011 Tiguan 2.0T 4MOTION - Comfortline (SE) White Gold with Sport Package; OEM Tiguan Front/Rear Monster Mats; OEM Tiguan Cargo Liner; Stubby Antenna

"Ever notice how people who tell you to calm down...are the ones that got you mad in the first place."

4. 09-10-2011 08:47 AM #4
      Thank you both. In a thread on the Passat CC, another postyer mentioned something about the RVC being available after week 45 of production. Is there any additional information around this?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL Pepper gray. 2009 base Porsche Boxster
      09-11-2011 08:44 AM #5
      picked up my 2012 this week. Backed up. Call dealer and said my camera is not working and I looked over the wondow sticker with him on the phone and said NEVER MIND!!

6. 09-11-2011 01:55 PM #6
      Anyone know if it's possible to add this to the 2012 as a mod later. I wonder if vw still ran all the wires to where the camera would be.

Vehicles
      2010 TR GTI
      09-11-2011 02:27 PM #7
      Wife just bought a 2012 Tig SEL w/Nav/Premium, and no RVC.

Volkswagen adjusted the MSRP down by $300 for the lack thereof. I'm sure the RVC only cost
      $300.

Received a copy of a Volkswagen Dealership Communication sent from the COO of VW to all dealers stating the above.

The Touareg's are to get PDC and an Optical Parking Display in lieu of the RVC at no additional cost.

Just FYI.

edit: just looked up the MSRP for a camera - $300, unfortunately, the control module for the camera is $460.
      Last edited by gonavy; 09-11-2011 at 02:32 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 CC VR6 Lux , 2012 SEL Tiguan/ with RNS 510 Nav
      09-13-2011 09:07 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by gonavy View Post
      Wife just bought a 2012 Tig SEL w/Nav/Premium, and no RVC.

Volkswagen adjusted the MSRP down by $300 for the lack thereof. I'm sure the RVC only cost
      $300.

Received a copy of a Volkswagen Dealership Communication sent from the COO of VW to all dealers stating the above.

The Touareg's are to get PDC and an Optical Parking Display in lieu of the RVC at no additional cost.

Just FYI.

edit: just looked up the MSRP for a camera - $300, unfortunately, the control module for the camera is $460.

I heard rumor saying rearview camera is coming for production vehicles starting in week 45.
      Last edited by Fritzjj; 09-13-2011 at 09:09 PM.

9. 12-27-2011 12:46 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritzjj View Post
      I heard rumor saying rearview camera is coming for production vehicles starting in week 45.
      ... ready to install, but having a hard time removing the trim in the tailgate. For what I've researched, these are all the parts I need since the RNS-510 should be camera ready. I'm hoping I will find the cable is pre-installed, though I don't keep my hopes high.

I will greatly appreciate anyone pointing me to where the instructions for carefully removing the trim are found.

Cheers,

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat V6 SEL Prem/Nav; 2012 Tiguan SEL Prem/Nav
      12-27-2011 04:31 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by necochino View Post
      ... ready to install, but having a hard time removing the trim in the tailgate. For what I've researched, these are all the parts I need since the RNS-510 should be camera ready. I'm hoping I will find the cable is pre-installed, though I don't keep my hopes high.

I will greatly appreciate anyone pointing me to where the instructions for carefully removing the trim are found.

Cheers,
      Part number for camera? Source (local dealer / other??)?

Let us know if prewired.... I was told control module (and sep bracket), harness, and camera were the required parts.... didn't pop the trim to check though to see if the bracket, wires, or module was already there or not.

Keep us updated!
      Last edited by pbafire; 12-27-2011 at 05:42 PM.

11. 01-02-2012 09:28 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by pbafire View Post
      Part number for camera? Source (local dealer / other??)?

Let us know if prewired.... I was told control module (and sep bracket), harness, and camera were the required parts.... didn't pop the trim to check though to see if the bracket, wires, or module was already there or not.

Keep us updated!
      Sorry, forgot to come back here for a few days...

Here's the ebay link to the parts I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/200617914051...84.m1497.l2649 Based on research on the web, these was all that's needed (there's a connector in the back of the Navi/Radio where you plug one end of the wire, presumably need to connect another cable to an empty fuse slot and the other end to the camera.

I was able to take out the trim and look around, unfortunately no pre-wiring... So the job will be a bit more difficult. I called the dealer to ask for help and/or installation. They have not done one yet. They don't have instructions.

I'm thinking of taking another stab at it in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

12. Member
      Vehicles
      01-02-2012 09:39 PM #12
      Keep us posted. Thought the 2012 was a 7N? Is this the low end camera or high end (lines move with steering)? Bet you'll need a control unit and power harness both.

Vehicles
      2009/VW/Tiguan
      01-02-2012 09:50 PM #13
      I actually just bought something similar and hope to install it in the next week or two. Here are some links that might be helpful for the install:

The retrofit of the same camera on a Sportwagen:
      http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...m-retrofit.htm

Adding circuits to the fuse box:
      http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/m...dd-circuit.htm

Adding circuits to the fuse box:
      http://www.my-gti.com/601/addition-o...abbit-fuse-box

These aren't tiguan's but should be very similar and provide some guidance.
      2009 Black/Brown Tiguan SE w/4Motion
      - Added: Revo Stage 1 w/Select Plus, RNS-510, Volk-L Bluetooth, 2" Class 3 Hitch + Trailer Module, VAG-COM Micro-CAN, 19" Savannah 2Tone
      2001 Black/Tan Golf GLS 1.8T w/Monsoon (Wifes)
      - Added: 6 Disc Changer, K&N Filter

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      01-02-2012 10:36 PM #14
      I wonder if 315 navi is camera ready, or is it even possible to add a camera to 315?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      01-02-2012 10:48 PM #15
      Might have to do this. Very similar to the B7 passat retro i want to accomplish. Let me know how both your projects go. Looks like the low end camera with fixed lines, not the high end that moves with the steering wheel. Might not need that control unit after all. Take pics!

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan 4 Motion SEL w/Prem Nav/Dynaudio Pepper Grey/Beige; 2014 EOS Komfort Candy White/Beige
      01-03-2012 07:53 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      I wonder if 315 navi is camera ready, or is it even possible to add a camera to 315?
      Based on what I have read, the RNS-315 is RVC compatible using the same kit as the RNS-510. Some of the links actually show this being done on the 315.

17. 01-03-2012 12:22 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by pbafire View Post
      Keep us posted. Thought the 2012 was a 7N? Is this the low end camera or high end (lines move with steering)? Bet you'll need a control unit and power harness both.
      Crap.... I did not pay attention to that... But I based the purchased mostly based on the information in the links posted immediately after your note. I hope it works...

Vehicles
      01-03-2012 05:34 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Techvet View Post
      Based on what I have read, the RNS-315 is RVC compatible using the same kit as the RNS-510. Some of the links actually show this being done on the 315.
      Can you please share the links that show 315 being retrofitted?

Thanks.
      Last edited by TIGSEL; 01-03-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan 4 Motion SEL w/Prem Nav/Dynaudio Pepper Grey/Beige; 2014 EOS Komfort Candy White/Beige
      01-03-2012 08:49 PM #19
      Can you please share the links that show 315 being retrofitted?

Thanks.
      These will get you started....

Here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...amera-retrofit

Here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3434396

Here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...8#post72016948

You'll find a number of embedded links in these threads that should give you the idea. Nothing is specific to the Tig though other than the Jetta folks are using the Tig's 'low' camera. The kits on eBay that folks are referencing look to be the real deal. The wiring harness part numbers jive with what is written, but the camera part number is different - possibly because the eBay kits are coming from a EU subsidiary versus here in the US. I have every intention of trying this once our Tig comes in and the weather warms up.

20. Member
      01-05-2012 06:12 PM #20
      not an sel but still a tig.
      ebay-->Pioneer avic120bt-->

Vehicles
      01-05-2012 06:43 PM #21
      I like how your Pioneer is integrated, it almost looks OEM! Do you have a DIY as far as what parts need to be removed to pass the cable?

Thanks.

22. Member
      01-05-2012 06:53 PM #22
      I like how your Pioneer is integrated, it almost looks OEM! Do you have a DIY as far as what parts need to be removed to pass the cable?

Thanks.
      i sure do, I originally had a MK6 gti when i had this unit installed. I sold the gti and kept the Pioneer and its the same kit for the tiguan. perfect fit.

as for the wiring I documented on a diy for the gti and very similar to the tiguan. but on the gti i installed the Pioneer camera.
      let me know if this confuses anything.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...hlight=pioneer

Vehicles
      13 GOLF GTi MKVI
      05-19-2012 04:56 PM #23
      I recently bought a Tiguan 2012 SE.

Here is that camera, just like the pioneer.
      http://www.ownta.com/vw-tiguan-speci...vw-tiguan.html

The question is would this work with the RCD 510?

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      06-12-2012 07:45 PM #24
      If anyone is interested in the oem trunk handle camera and want to do this mod I have a few for sale for cheap. PM me for details.
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      06-21-2012 01:42 PM #25
      1 left!!
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

26. 01-14-2014 12:26 PM #26
      Now that VW cameras for the Tiguan are again available as a part, does anyone know if the 2012 Tiguan SEL has the wiring harness for the camera installed but just the camera missing due to shortage in Japan in 2012 when built? If the wiri g is there, that would make installation of the camera now much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by dylanvw View Post
      Hello, new here. So I did a search and see there are a number of issues related to the rear view camera or lack thereof. On the VW site, is says the 2012 SEL with prem nav and the SEL with prem nav and dynaudio have rear view camera standard. However, I went to look at one this evening, and discovered there is no RVC nor back up sensors. When I searched some other VW dealers (not the one I visited), the SEL models listed had "W/O RVC" prominently displayed on their SEL listings. The VW Build and Price site shows this as standard, but the e-brochure doesn't even mention it. Any info on this? Thanks. I was actually ready to buy, and my wife loves the car, but without a camera or sensors, it's no deal, especially for almost $39k.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan Highline
      01-14-2014 01:01 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by JJPEngr View Post
      Now that VW cameras for the Tiguan are again available as a part, does anyone know if the 2012 Tiguan SEL has the wiring harness for the camera installed but just the camera missing due to shortage in Japan in 2012 when built? If the wiri g is there, that would make installation of the camera now much easier.
      No OEM-installed camera when the vehicle was shipped amounts to no camera specific wiring, and no camera control module on vehicles built during the camera shortage. Some of the better (read "more expensive") rear view camera retrofit kits come with the wiring harnesses, module and everything else required for install.

http://www.oemplus.com/rear-view-cam...b7-p-2723.html

^^ that is the "highline" kit that includes the camera control module for on screen trajectory lines that change with steering input. There is a basic "lowline" kit too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Genuine-O...-/360634324265

^^ that is the basic version that doesn't use the camera control module that Tiguans with OEM equipped back-up camera would have installed in the right rear quarter panel

The individual components can be hard elsewhere but require more vehicle wiring modifications to make them work after coding of course. There are many threads on Vortex you can search up that detail installing either camera option in various VWs.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan Highline
      01-14-2014 01:10 PM #28
      The two sources for rear camera kits are from the European market and the Asian market (Tiguans are also made in China).

http://www.bold-sport.com/store/inde...product_id=264

http://www.bold-sport.com/store/inde...product_id=165

^^ sourced from China

Unrelated note for those who like to read between the lines- in our 2010 Tiguan the OEM supplied Chinese-made MDI/iPod cable our vehicle was delivered with failed in the first month of use, whereas the European made cable provided as a warranty replacement worked perfectly for the two additional years we had that vehicle .

29. 01-15-2014 09:34 PM #29
      Interesting. I want the rear view camera but have not take the time. When I got mine I took it to dealership and said my camera is not working. AND they took it in to fix!! So surprise to all they were missing.

30. 01-16-2014 11:29 PM #30
      I bought one of the basic kits on Amazon. It is like the one you show from ebay. This is like the VW unit described in my owners manual for the Tiguan. Apparently the highline model with control module and steering input was not offered in United States due to regulations. The owners manual shows one with fixed camera mounted in hatch release handle. So, you may be describing a unit available only in other markets. I am also concerned that the ebay and Amazon unit may be a counterfeit "knock off" even though it has VW and Audi logo and part number. I am returning it through Amazon return process for refund. I am not able to find installer nearby willing to install it. Unable to get good step by step instructions with photos for Tiguan and do not want to risk damaging interior components on my 2012 Tiguan SEL, which has been great for two years with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by tigatola View Post
      No OEM-installed camera when the vehicle was shipped amounts to no camera specific wiring, and no camera control module on vehicles built during the camera shortage. Some of the better (read "more expensive") rear view camera retrofit kits come with the wiring harnesses, module and everything else required for install.

http://www.oemplus.com/rear-view-cam...b7-p-2723.html

^^ that is the "highline" kit that includes the camera control module for on screen trajectory lines that change with steering input. There is a basic "lowline" kit too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Genuine-O...-/360634324265

^^ that is the basic version that doesn't use the camera control module that Tiguans with OEM equipped back-up camera would have installed in the right rear quarter panel

The individual components can be hard elsewhere but require more vehicle wiring modifications to make them work after coding of course. There are many threads on Vortex you can search up that detail installing either camera option in various VWs.