Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want bike with RIDICULOUS amounts of suspension travel.

1. Member
      09-10-2011 12:23 PM #1
      But where do I find one?
      It seems as though all new downhill bikes are more "race" oriented and there isn't a single one I like (even if they made a new one with this much travel it would be way beyond my budget anyway).
      I have been looking for used ones for the better part of a year and had zero luck finding one.
      Is it futile to think I will ever be able to purchase a bike like this?

Of course I would never "need" this much travel. I would just be riding it around the street jumping stairs and gaps (probably the same ones I do on my hardtail), but it doesn't change my love for these bikes and if I had one I would probably start commuting on it.
      SNOW PROBLEM SNOW PROBLEM

Vehicles
      2001 A4, 2001 Hardrock, 2005 Stab
      09-10-2011 12:51 PM #2
      So you want a dh bike with retarded travel to commute in Saskatchewan? Check pinkbike.com, but you'll probably have to head to Alberta to pick it up.

3. Member
      09-10-2011 01:43 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboNasty View Post
      So you want a dh bike with retarded travel to commute in Saskatchewan?
      yes. haha
      However I don't want to buy one to commute on it, but if I had one it would be to tempting not to take it over one of my other bikes.
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboNasty View Post
      Check pinkbike.com, but you'll probably have to head to Alberta to pick it up.
      There is a lot of downhill bikes but the typical downhill bikes like V10's and such

I want something with even more travel and a high BB.

I have seen a few of these on there before

They were in pretty bad shape but I guess I will just keep searching.

4. Senior Member
      09-11-2011 07:36 PM #4
      That's weird. But then again there are all kinds of perversions I don't understand out there.

What about tracking down one of those forks, then getting an older DH bike and sticking a way-too-long shock on it with an extra large stroke? That should do it.

5. 09-11-2011 11:43 PM #5
      top pic is Bender isn't it?

09-12-2011 10:45 PM #6
      I can't tell if you are serious or not. Those bike suck.

Trust me, as someone who lived through all the early DH experimentation in suspension the bikes we have nowadays are so much more advanced that they make the early models look like junior high science fair entries.

The direction travel went in the beginning was to go large. My first DH bike (in 98) had 6 inches of travel. When I bought a super 8 a couple years later the travel was up to 8 and it was basically just a simple single pivot. The bike also weighed 54 lbs. It was ridiculous.

Riding back in the day was about hucking and cliff drops, and everyone "thought" you needed suspension to stick it. Turns out no matter how much suspension you put if the skill isn't there and the drop is ridiculous you are screwed either way. Look up Bender and Jaw drop if you need more proof.

The suspension now is so refined and butter that a 4 inch 32 lb bike will perform better than any of the early "DH" specific designs. Look at what the Cannondale Jekyll is accomplishing.

If you are looking for one of these bikes from a purely collectors standpoint, I would suggest looking for an old Kona Stab Primo, early Karpiel designs or maybe early brooklyn machine works. That Rocky Mountain you posted is another good one but like you mentioned they are most likely all going to be beat as that was their purpose in life.

The forks were usually custom, but the Marzocchi shiver was a favorite. Go with a Zyzzx fork if you want to be true old school. T
      Last edited by UKGTI; 09-12-2011 at 10:47 PM.

7. Member
      09-14-2011 11:31 PM #7
      Haha its funny you mention Bender because I was watching NWD greatest hits and his part is basically what got me on this kick.

But yeah I am just looking for one more for the look and the feel of one, not really for the "performance".
      The riding it would see is the same as my hardtail, so just riding around the street and jumping stairs and riding down dirt hills in construction sites.

I may look ridiculous riding one on smooth paved roads jumping stairs but I would be having fun so it doesn't bother me.
      I just am not interested in the "racey" low bottom bracket with <200mm of travel which seems like that is really all thats out there.

If anybody knows of newish (anything made in the last 5 - 10 years) bikes that has more of a "freeride" type geometry let me know!

Also here are some more mega travel bikes: (both Bender haha)

And here is my bike now that just isn't cutting it!

Vehicles
      mk2 GTI, mk4 GTI
      09-15-2011 10:46 AM #8
      its funny you guys mention bender. I used to race DH and was into free riding when I was younger. Bender was nuts hahaha, used to fling himself off anything. The last bike I have was a built turner DHR that I loved. I brought it to whistler twice. As fun as it was and all the expensive parts I had the thing was a pain in the ass to ride anywhere but down hill.
      Dubstatic
      REP860
      CornStatuS

Vehicles
      , 1986 Cabriolet "ripper",,,
      09-20-2011 11:58 PM #9
      i remember seeing bender on drop in- do they make that anymore? i dont bike much anymore and havent kept up (although i still use PB)

I rember heading to the skatepark here in calgary with my friend and his Norco A-line with monsters he droped into the large pipe (12' ) and almost went straight to the flat but his monsters svaed his stupid ass.
      Mk1 crowd:: Put your bumpers back on!!

Vehicles
      2006 WRX Wagon
      09-21-2011 04:03 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by laynehip1 View Post
      Got any hoppy beers to recommend? PM me.

Press in dire situations: http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

Vehicles
      2002.5 VW Jetta GLi
      09-28-2011 01:58 AM #11
      Haha its funny you mention Bender because I was watching NWD greatest hits and his part is basically what got me on this kick.

But yeah I am just looking for one more for the look and the feel of one, not really for the "performance".
      The riding it would see is the same as my hardtail, so just riding around the street and jumping stairs and riding down dirt hills in construction sites.

I may look ridiculous riding one on smooth paved roads jumping stairs but I would be having fun so it doesn't bother me.
      I just am not interested in the "racey" low bottom bracket with <200mm of travel which seems like that is really all thats out there.

If anybody knows of newish (anything made in the last 5 - 10 years) bikes that has more of a "freeride" type geometry let me know!

And here is my bike now that just isn't cutting it!
      Well there's your problem; your not on a 20 inch!

-Brett-
      02.5 GLI VR6 - TT DP/Testpipe, Autotech Cat-Back, Eurosport Cool-Flo, C2 Software, Raxles, Grounding Kit, Diesel Geek Sigma Shifter/Panzer Plate, Verdict Shift Bracket Bushings, ECS Bleeder Block/End Links, USP Braided Clutch Line, ECS/Gruven LW pulleys, Raceland Ultimos, 034 Strut Bushings/Motor/Dogbone/Subframe Mounts, R32/Poly Control Arm Bushings, Poly Rear Isolators, TSW Nur wheels, Yarrowsport Rear Bar, Euro Sport Cluster

12. Member
      10-20-2011 12:35 AM #12
      Ended up buying an older pretty beat up specialized big hit (frame is in perfect condition though so all is well).

Picking up a 10.5 x 3.5 shock for the back and just need to start the long, hard search for a super monster T for sale.

Then my dream will be complete

Vehicles
      1991 GLI
      10-22-2011 01:43 AM #13
      ....whatever floats your boat.
      P O W W W W D E R R R E D T O A S S T M A N N N N N N N N N

BRIANEDWARDTUCKER.com <--- check out my website!

14. Member
      10-22-2011 02:49 PM #14
      I thought I had a lead on buying a pair of Super Monster T's but once he sent me pictures they were just regular Monster T's.
      Also having one hell of a hard time trying to find 24 x 3.0 wide tires.

It sucks when all the parts you want haven't been made since 2003

some more pictures for good measure and it includes some weird russian guy:

10-24-2011 12:42 PM #15
      I had a 24 inch Nokian Gazzalodi in 3 inches wide. It weighed about as much as my current DH bike.

16. Member
      10-25-2011 10:53 PM #16
      So I bought a Fox Van 10.5" x 3.0" shock off of Pinkbike today.
      I don't even know if it will fit but I shall see.

I will get pictures of it compared to the stock one and pictures of it on my bike once it gets here (should only be a day or two).

Then Next up is a wheel set/giant tires and then will try to get a fork in the winter

Also updates pictures of what the bike looks like now (I guess this thread is now the build thread):
      Last edited by laynehip1; 10-25-2011 at 10:58 PM.

17. Member
      10-31-2011 09:13 PM #17
      new shock came today!

18.5 inch high bottom bracket!

18. Member
      11-02-2011 02:36 PM #18
      These are officially on their way to my house!

19. Member
      11-05-2011 09:41 PM #19
      With a super plush fork and highrise bars this bike is insanely fun!

20. Member
      11-06-2011 07:54 AM #20
      With a super plush fork and highrise bars this bike is insanely fun!

i know the picture is a little crooked, but your headtube angle looks WAAAAAAY off? if i were actually going to do any downhill riding, even mild stuff, on that bike, i would want my front wheel out farther in front of me. it looks like your center of gravity would quickly cross the front axle.

11-06-2011 10:00 AM #21
      These are officially on their way to my house!

Had a set of these on my super 8. Decent fork. They were local guys so I would go down to the factory for tuneups and tweaking etc.

I did actually bend the stanchion during some of my roof hucking days

22. Member
      11-06-2011 02:42 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by wearyourtruth View Post
      i know the picture is a little crooked, but your headtube angle looks WAAAAAAY off? if i were actually going to do any downhill riding, even mild stuff, on that bike, i would want my front wheel out farther in front of me. it looks like your center of gravity would quickly cross the front axle.
      The headtube angle is crazy steep.
      However this won't be seeing any downhill trails or anything, I will be commuting on it to school in the summer and jumping stairs and doing drops to flat on the streets with it.
      I just wanted to build up a super fun bike with lots of suspension travel with a more "freeride" type geometry

11-09-2011 08:53 AM #23
      So err...how will you gracefully mount that thing - using the stool sitting next to it? And if you're commuting on it, what about dismounting at TLs? I hope you're amazing at track standing.

How much sag would you need to run on that thing to make it work? A normal 25% sag works out to what...100mm?
      Ryder Hesjedal: "If you draw your sword and then drop it, you die."

Vehicles
      mk2 GTI, mk4 GTI
      11-09-2011 10:44 AM #24
      if you going to be doing drops to flat hahha your gonna break that frame with the angle like that. if you land nose heavy once your gonna get hurt
      Dubstatic
      REP860
      CornStatuS

25. Member
      11-09-2011 07:33 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Hustle-DubS View Post
      if you going to be doing drops to flat hahha your gonna break that frame with the angle like that. if you land nose heavy once your gonna get hurt
      Im not very good I can't imagine anything I could throw at this bike would cause a catastrophic failure.

Also got a 24 x 3.0 and a 26 x 3.0 in the mail to replace the skinnies I have on there now haha.

Here are some more pictures:

Now that it is winter and it will be cold as **** for the next 6-7 months I will start gathering parts and will build it back up in the spring

Vehicles
      08 NS Capital, 04+ Bianchi Pista, 06 Transition Dirtbag
      11-09-2011 09:39 PM #26
      so are you settling for the stratos then? or still gonna be searching for a supermonster?
      Cupcake - Team My Little Pony

27. Member
      11-09-2011 11:41 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by azn View Post
      so are you settling for the stratos then? or still gonna be searching for a supermonster?
      Still searching for a supermonster.
      I just thought it may take a couple of years (most likely never), so I wanted a nice plush fork to replace the monster T which was way too stiff.

28. Member
      11-16-2011 07:55 PM #28
      bought a big ass tire! 24 x 3.0

my 26 x 3.0 should be coming this week hopefully (it was damn hard to find!)

Also here is a picture of the bike in the snow

29. Member
      11-16-2011 09:33 PM #29
      why? the biggest **** gets thrown down on 8" travel bikes. Those old karpel's are ****ty tanks that only roll down ok and drop off things.
      card carrying autocrat.

my sofa pulls out, but I don't.

30. Member
      11-16-2011 11:36 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by blackohio View Post
      why? the biggest **** gets thrown down on 8" travel bikes. Those old karpel's are ****ty tanks that only roll down ok and drop off things.
      It has nothing to do with performance.
      I am building one up because I like how they look and also this bike is extremely fun to ride.
      It will never be near a mountain but for the short period I rode it around the neighbourhood riding over curbs and jumping stairs I was all smiles.

31. Member
      11-17-2011 05:09 AM #31
      It has nothing to do with performance.
      I am building one up because I like how they look and also this bike is extremely fun to ride.
      It will never be near a mountain but for the short period I rode it around the neighbourhood riding over curbs and jumping stairs I was all smiles.
      To each his own I guess but you'd still have 20x the fun on a bike with proper geo.
      card carrying autocrat.

32. Member
      11-26-2011 07:25 PM #32
      Last picture of it together before it gets taken apart and out in a box in my room until spring

However, now I shall begin collecting parts for it and it will emerge in April/May as a much better bike

33. Member
      11-30-2011 07:07 PM #33
      some parts came in!

34. Member
      11-30-2011 07:32 PM #34
      You've still spent enough $$ to have gotten you into something like a used Sunday. A bike that won countless world cups as well as under Vanderham at Red Bull rampage.
      card carrying autocrat.

11-30-2011 07:43 PM #35
      this build is cracking me up. I keep having flashbacks to 2000! I built up my Santa Cruz Super 8 with a 24 inch 4 cross rear wheel on a 150mm hadley hub on Sun Ringle Rims. I ran Gazzaloddis 3.0 inch tire and a Stratos up front. I ran the big ass SDG seat too and a burly ass bar.

The bike was ok, heck I won plenty of races on it, but I was racing against other 60 lb sleds.

I do have to say that your geometry is waaay off on that bike, you can do some real damage stressing the shock mounts and head tube like you are. If you look at the old Karpeils etc they were built around the travel, whereas the specialized you have is not.

I am not trying to hate, just want you to not lose any teeth! I did that too on my Super 8!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast