Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Hello to the APR TT RS

1. 02-29-2012 07:03 AM #326
      That's why you should have come to the 30-130. It's a level playing field. Everyone who you have mentioned for not hitting the drag strip at the pod will be there. Me, ash, Chris, robj, jonny david and some other TTRS drivers. It's going to be pretty much a definitive test to see what works and what doesn't. The vmax aspect of the 30-130 is what makes it fun for me, deffo one of my fav events of the year, and will be good to see how my car has progressed a year on, albeit you can't really compare results from year to year.

I know that my APR will be a strong stock manual car and so will be Chris with his additional bolt ons.

Will be interesting to see how everyone stacks up to one another!
      Audi TTRS: APR Stage 3+: Race Developments Built Motor, Race Developments Flowed Cylinder Head, APR FMIC, Scorpion Titanium Exhaust, VWR Engine Mounts, VWR Intake, Race Developments Superfinished GearBox, Helix Race Clutch,42Draft Shifter Bushing,Bilstein B16 PSS10, 034 Motorsport ARB,WhiteLine Drop Links,R8 Calipers,Braided Lines,Powerflex Bushes,Mintex 1155 Pads,SRF Fluid, Fusch Titan Pro S Oil, Recaro Pole Positions, Kenwood DNX5210BT.

2. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 Audi TTRS S-Tronic
      02-29-2012 07:15 AM #327
      Quote Originally Posted by Poverty View Post
      That's why you should have come to the 30-130. It's a level playing field. Everyone who you have mentioned for not hitting the drag strip at the pod will be there. Me, ash, Chris, robj, jonny david and some other TTRS drivers. It's going to be pretty much a definitive test to see what works and what doesn't. The vmax aspect of the 30-130 is what makes it fun for me, deffo one of my fav events of the year, and will be good to see how my car has progressed a year on, albeit you can't really compare results from year to year.

I know that my APR will be a strong stock manual car and so will be Chris with his additional bolt ons.

Will be interesting to see how everyone stacks up to one another!
      I agree with you Pov, sure, in an ideal world everyone on the same day running the same surface with the same weather conditions is the best but unfortunately I do live in another country to you guys, 1000m road trip is mega for an afternoon of fun. I was prepared to do it, but March is a messy month for me with far too much going on.

I seen your 100-200 times and sure, they look great, you should run a good 30-130 event this year, no doubts about it. If Jonny is up and running he is expected to run single digits, that's not what I'll be looking out for, my eyes are on your car and Robs car to see how much difference that hybrid makes. Davids car will be interesting too, I guess all you guys will be trying to outdo each other with race fuels or octane boosters but for sure it will be an interesting day. My eyes are on Rob as thats the path I very nearly took myself before deciding to give up on the manual and head over to the DSG car. Vmax, well if I were there, I would probably concede that 1 to you guys straight away, generally the cars with the most of power wins that battle, or in this case, the guy that has the biggest bollocks and brakes latest. You guys are all running BBK so I wouldnt stand a chance on the vmax aspect, you would outpower and outbrake.

Good luck to you all, I shall be watching the live times online
      2011 TTRS S-Tronic, MRC tuned 425.
      0-60mph = 3.29, 0-100mph = 7.38, 1/4m = 11.37 @ 122.3mph (1.74 60ft)

Acceleration Video here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AATsvLPXSM, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdLWitBp1F4

3. 02-29-2012 07:24 AM #328
      David does love a bit of octane booster, but that didn't stop him from me beating him last time we duelled.

Last year I did a 14 sec run and 170mph, pretty much on par with a stock GTR that day, like you say with the new bits, improved map etc I'm hoping for a higher vmax and a 13 sec run conditions permitting. Results very much depend on wind direction on the day.
      Audi TTRS: APR Stage 3+: Race Developments Built Motor, Race Developments Flowed Cylinder Head, APR FMIC, Scorpion Titanium Exhaust, VWR Engine Mounts, VWR Intake, Race Developments Superfinished GearBox, Helix Race Clutch,42Draft Shifter Bushing,Bilstein B16 PSS10, 034 Motorsport ARB,WhiteLine Drop Links,R8 Calipers,Braided Lines,Powerflex Bushes,Mintex 1155 Pads,SRF Fluid, Fusch Titan Pro S Oil, Recaro Pole Positions, Kenwood DNX5210BT.

4. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 Audi TTRS S-Tronic
      02-29-2012 07:33 AM #329
      David does love a bit of octane booster, but that didn't stop him from me beating him last time we duelled.

Last year I did a 14 sec run and 170mph, pretty much on par with a stock GTR that day, like you say with the new bits, improved map etc I'm hoping for a higher vmax and a 13 sec run conditions permitting. Results very much depend on wind direction on the day.
      I hope you run a low to mid 13 and take a second off your revo times. You'll not manage on road bests and I think David will be in for a shock with that 1. Queuing around will heat you guys up, cross winds and slight upwards gradient will put a second onto on road bests I think. Hopefully there are some stock GTR's there, even some S1 480 GTR's the DSG/hybrid cars should cope with.

David says you all run octane boosters? Not sure if it will do anyone non revo any favours though as no way of advancing the timing. That's my next move i think, a tank of race juice and a chat with the guys at MRC to see if there's a way of running twin maps.
      2011 TTRS S-Tronic, MRC tuned 425.
      0-60mph = 3.29, 0-100mph = 7.38, 1/4m = 11.37 @ 122.3mph (1.74 60ft)

Acceleration Video here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AATsvLPXSM, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdLWitBp1F4

5. 02-29-2012 07:49 AM #330
      Both times I ran against him he had octane booster and I didn't. Shame I can't post the vids tbh

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 BB Q5, 2012 PB TTRS
      02-29-2012 09:16 AM #331
      ...And I was bummed because I kept have issues logging in to the UK TT forum? The pissing match has come to the US! Love it!
      2015 Brilliant Black Q5
      2012 Phantom Black TTRS (Tech Pack, Sport Exhaust Titanium Pack, Heated Seats)

02-29-2012 09:44 AM #332
      Quote Originally Posted by DrDomm View Post
      ...And I was bummed because I kept have issues logging in to the UK TT forum? The pissing match has come to the US! Love it!
      LOL, I can't log on anymore either. Good to see you boy's still jousting! This is a much better version than the old "ten steps, turn and fire" duels of the past!
      2012 TTRS: Daytona Gray, CF Mirrors, Nexon CF Steering Wheel, OSIR Coolant Tank CF Shield, Tinted Tails
      GIAC Stage 2, AWE SwitchPath + cat-deletes, AWE FMIC, H&R RSB, MSS Adjustable Sport Springs, AWE Boost Gauge, BFI shift knob, 42DD shift bushings, Wheels: HRE P40 19x9 et50; Borbet LV5 18x8 et35; TSW Interlagos 18x9.5 et53 w/Mich PSS 275/35

Vehicles
      S4 3.0 TFSI 6MT & GTI 2.0T FSI DSG
      02-29-2012 10:32 AM #333
      Quote Originally Posted by MitchyRS View Post
      When I compare my video against your own, my car is accelerating quicker, just compare 50-150 for example and my car with 365whp is beating your car with 517whp??
      It's beta, has a stock intercooler, and was pretty beat up before I got in the car to shoot a video. I'm not worried if others feel they've accelerated just as fast or faster because I have no data to say if the car was still producing 500+ WHP by the time I got in it, and I honestly don't care, nor am I worried, because it's beta and only had 1 days worth of calibration time.

When it's finished, has an intercooler, has an intake, has heatshields around all the important bits, and even has more fueling, it will be insane considering it already felt fast. I'll post updates along the way.

Now that said, it seems sharing information has just cause me extra work. It's not even pleasurable work.... it's just explanation after explanation after explanation for all the people complaining. (Please, if you've asked questions, and were not complaining, I'm not lumping you into this category). People are upset about the video. People are upset about the dyno type. People are arguing over this and that. Sheashe! Do I need to stop sharing updates so I can get my other work done? It's seriously zapping all the fun out of this project!
      Last edited by Arin@APR; 02-29-2012 at 10:37 AM.
      GoAPR.com | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Instagram
      Phone: (800) 680-7921 Local Phone: +1 (334) 502-5181 Fax: +1 (334) 502-5180
      Address: APR LLC, 4800 US HWY 280 West, Opelika, AL 36801

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Audi TT RS manual, peak: 420hp/447lbft
      02-29-2012 10:50 AM #334
      Quote Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post

So we've given a little preview of our development progress thus far. We have a lot of power left on the table, and as more of our production hardware and software becomes ready, we'll keep bumping up the power and torque.

On our TTRS beta car, we're running a beta APR stage 3 turbocharger system. Essentially at this stage we have the cast turbo inlet, turbocharger, inconel turbo manifold, turbo hotside down turn, turbo compressor outlet hose, beta coolant and oil lines, a beta downpipe which will be heavily modified for efficiency in the future, and no production heat shields.

We used the stock intake, stock intercooler, stock internals, stock clutch, stock head, stock cams, stock fuel pump and stock injectors. We were able to crank out 517 whp and 500 wtq (ft-lbs) on this setup, and it's spooling very quickly already. To give an idea of spool, we're past 300 wtq by 3000 rpm's and 400 wtq by 3200 RPM's. Torque just keeps climbing and we've already pushed 550 wtq out of the setup but did not have time to gather all of the data before the conference. Essentially, with all of these stock restrictive and limiting components, the system is spooling quickly and making gobs of power already with more room to go once more parts are installed.

The great Audi engines are back and we're loving every moment of it!
      Sounds fabulous!

One question, how is that clutch coping with that huge torque (that is 700+ Nm!). I have a manual TTRS which showed 606Nm on the dyno last summer (28C ambient) and in negative Celcius temperatures in winter I have clutch slip in 6th gear accelerating half-vigorously from 60mph...

10. 03-01-2012 12:13 AM #335
      Start to look like a very expensive stage 3 kit.
      Besides that you need new internals to let it last for at leased 50.000, a completely new clutch assembly and most importend full new front brakes.
      Looks like a 30.000,- + investment to me, not worth it with all your factory quarantee's gone.

11. 03-01-2012 12:53 AM #336
      Those are pretty expensive brakes and clutch to get you up to $30k

12. 03-01-2012 12:55 AM #337
      Gold fuzZy dice aren't cheap.

Vehicles
      2009 Volkswagen CC, 2011 Honda CR-V, 2008 Benz W211 E280, 2015 Benz W205 C300
      03-01-2012 01:24 AM #338
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnLZ7W View Post
      Those are pretty expensive brakes and clutch to get you up to $30k
      Better be ceramic brakes

14. 03-01-2012 03:52 AM #339
      Quote Originally Posted by R5T View Post
      Besides that you need new internals to let it last for at leased 50.000, a completely new clutch assembly and most importend full new front brakes.
      Looks like a 30.000,- + investment to me, not worth it with all your factory quarantee's gone.
      So negative hans! To get the engine to a reliable 650hp won't cost that much at all, just look at the 2.0tfsi running big turbo kits!

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-01-2012 05:37 AM #340
      So negative hans! To get the engine to a reliable 650hp won't cost that much at all, just look at the 2.0tfsi running big turbo kits!
      Getting the engine to 650hp maybe wont cost much at all (10 grand or so), getting the OTHER internals and OTHER parts of transmission to run RELIABLY for a respectable number of kilometers - that is totally another issue.

Of course, if your car cycle buy-tune-sell is short then no worries. If you keep the car for a number of years and in tuned form, then you might start to worry.

650hp that is twice the original power, maybe the engine block will hold fine but the rest of the components will be under much higher stress.

Brakes and clutch is the minimum you'd have to change to utilize this extra power, R5T is right. 30K is due to internal changes. Personally I question the longevity of gearbox and differential with that kind of power.

Stage III is no walk in the park, it is amazing feat, but it entails high risks of being stuck with much larger bill.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-01-2012 05:46 AM #341
      Also, there is a bias, you don't usually hear the really bad stories, like destroyed gearboxes/engines/whatever else, people do not like to share this disasters, and definitely not the tuning houses who've done the conversions!

What you usually hear are happy customers and people with some sort of vested interest saying everything is fabulous and great. That is not a representative universe.

I hope Arin does not take this personally in some sense, I believe it is really great that APR does these kits, and they should do these kits, they have incredible amount of know-how involved in this, the products are world-known for that. But in the end they do not run the risks (they state it explicitly) of your car blowing up or eating its gearbox for lunch.

17. Member
      03-01-2012 10:03 AM #342
      While I think it is a blast to read about all the drag strip rivalries and clutch endurance debates, this thread is about the APR TT RS software and hardware. Yep. I just checked the thread title again, and it still says the same.

There is much validity to discuss these other (related) issues - may I suggest a new thread gets started so that this one doesn't end up going off the cliff with personal opinions and rivalries?!

Vehicles
      03-01-2012 10:08 AM #343
      Quote Originally Posted by NoPasaran View Post
      Sounds fabulous!

One question, how is that clutch coping with that huge torque (that is 700+ Nm!). I have a manual TTRS which showed 606Nm on the dyno last summer (28C ambient) and in negative Celcius temperatures in winter I have clutch slip in 6th gear accelerating half-vigorously from 60mph...
      After the acceleration tests the other day it started to slip.

I'd say you're jumping the estimation gun a little but let's discuss what I would change if I owned a TTRS.

• Stage 3 Turbocharger System
      • Intake (Stage 3 is compatible with anything that fits the stock turbo).
      • Intercooler (Stage 3 is compatible with anything that fits the stock turbo).
      • Exhaust (Stage 3 is compatible with anything that fits the stock exhaust after the downpipe [we include a downpipe])
      • Clutch if I was a 6MT
      • Connecting rods for reliability especially on race fuel

So, essentially you're looking at a stage 3 kit with the normal bolt ons, obviously a clutch, and then looking at internals for reliability.

Now I know you want a lot of power. We've discussed that before. Are you telling me you want a lot of power but you don't want to even think about changing the clutch? I'm a bit confused!

19. 03-01-2012 11:59 AM #344
      I'd say you're jumping the estimation gun a little but let's discuss what I would change if I owned a TTRS.

• Exhaust (Stage 3 is compatible with anything that fits the stock exhaust after the downpipe [we include a downpipe])
      • Clutch if I was a 6MT

So, essentially you're looking at a stage 3 kit with the normal bolt ons, obviously a clutch, and then looking at internals for reliability.

Now I know you want a lot of power. We've discussed that before. Are you telling me you want a lot of power but you don't want to even think about changing the clutch? I'm a bit confused!
      I would not go stage 3 on stock internals, or with a Manual gearbox.
      This kit would work much better on a DSG S-Tronic car. ( but can a DSG handle 700+ Nm of torque)
      And everything under 600 hp is not worth moving to Stage 3 IMHO.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 GTi /2012 TTRS
      03-01-2012 12:42 PM #345
      Have you put the interior back in your car yet mate lol.

You need to get your car to a proper event with other TTRS to see of your car is special, or at the very least attend a proper drag strip such as Santa pod and not the make shift crail with the iffy data recording system.

30-130 and inters was your chance but you keep backing out, was looking forward to running mine and ash's s-tronic against yours.

Oh well theres another mrc TTRS s-tronic attending that day, let's see if he can do your figures
      For those Euro TTRS owners who are going for max power acceleration gains, are you still using the stock shifter or have you gone to an aftermarket shorter throw shifter for faster shifts?

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      03-01-2012 01:21 PM #346
      I would not go stage 3 on stock internals, or with a Manual gearbox.
      This kit would work much better on a DSG S-Tronic car. ( but can a DSG handle 700+ Nm of torque)
      And everything under 600 hp is not worth moving to Stage 3 IMHO.
      I would think the opposite... that is, I would be more inclined to put a "stage 3" on a manual gearbox (where it's easy to replace a clutch if you break something) over a DSG. Why do you think these kits would work better on DSGs? A DSG just seems like another variable where you could break something.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      03-01-2012 01:22 PM #347

• Clutch if I was a 6MT

I think it's awesome that you guys have designed a kit that integrates as closely with stock components as possible (including intake pipe and exhaust locations).

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R
      03-01-2012 01:24 PM #348
      Forget Stage 3 and even Stage 2 for now! Just give us Stage 1 reflash! Just got my yearly bonus and am deciding whether to invest/save it or spend it on something I don't need. Urge to be fiscally responsible...RISING
      Current: 2016 VW Golf R
      Past: 2015 Subaru WRX STi Launch Edition
      2011 BMW e92 m3
      2012 Audi TT-RS
      2009 VW GTI

Vehicles
      03-01-2012 02:47 PM #349
      It's moving along as fast as possible. I know, delays delays, this wasn't the plan but it was necessary and part of a bigger picture move.

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-01-2012 04:10 PM #350
      After the acceleration tests the other day it started to slip.

• Clutch if I was a 6MT

I am just curious, as I have never had this kind of work done, but speaking generally, how much do the connecting rods and their isntallation cost?

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast