Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DYI: Homemade ram air intake and heat shield

1. Member
      Vehicles
      08 TSI Passat
      09-15-2011 03:17 PM #1
      decided i didnt want to pay a arm and a leg for an intake so i decided to make one. everyone likes the design of the carbonio with the ram air sealed design so i decided to give it a try.

small black plactic trash can, black oil funnel duct tape and loctite plastic epoxy

used painters tape to mark off section of the trash can needed to cut. tape was just used the follow a straight line while cutting

cut the bottom of the can just smaller than the diameter of the funnel that that the lip of the funnel cant pul through

now cut the funnel to allow 3" piping to fit through

no its time to glue. from the inside i used duct tape to hold the two pieces together then used the plastic epoxy to bond the pieces. this does hold up very strong i pushed on it with over 20lbs of force and it didnt come apart.

i cut a small 2" slit in the side to allow theslide over the whole factory ram air duct

6" long piping and a AEM dryflow filter. just slip the intake through the large end and out the small and secure to the MAF with silicone couplers.

All for right around $80 with filter and all supplies. im sorry and no offence to anyone who has bought or any manufacture but im not paying $200-300 for a filter on a stick!
      Last edited by uber_mkv; 09-16-2011 at 12:25 PM.
      08 Black TSI Passat /ABT lip/HI-DEF side skirts and spoiler/Color matched rear bumper/Rokkor coilovers/19" Black RS4 wheels

Vehicles
      2010 Candy White Passat 2.0 TSI
      09-15-2011 10:41 PM #2
      props. do you notice any gains?
      Unitronic Stage 2 -- 42DD 3" catless downpipe -- APR Intercooler -- Unitronic Intake -- BSH Throttle Pipe -- AWE Turbo Outlet Pipe -- Unitronic DV Relocation -- Votex front lip -- HiDef side skirts -- painted rear valence -- mkvi wheel w/DSG paddles -- DDM HID headlights -- Euro side markers -- Interior & licence plate LEDs -- Skyline style Euro Tail Lights -- Podi gauge and pod kit -- revision D diverter valve

3. Member
      Vehicles
      08 TSI Passat
      09-16-2011 12:26 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by SDbirdman View Post
      props. do you notice any gains?
      Yes right away. Throttle responce has greatly improved and the car def pulls harder up top.
      08 Black TSI Passat /ABT lip/HI-DEF side skirts and spoiler/Color matched rear bumper/Rokkor coilovers/19" Black RS4 wheels

Vehicles
      '13 WRX, 2009 A3 sold, '03 GTI sold
      09-16-2011 01:15 PM #4
      great timing on this was looking for a cheap alternative. I can understand why you wanted to make the flow to the filter but couldn't you just keep the filter open too? instead of making the air ducting to the bumper. I would thing just a open filter would probably still take in enough air without the air tunnel?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      08 TSI Passat
      09-16-2011 02:44 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by ruetzal View Post
      great timing on this was looking for a cheap alternative. I can understand why you wanted to make the flow to the filter but couldn't you just keep the filter open too? instead of making the air ducting to the bumper. I would thing just a open filter would probably still take in enough air without the air tunnel?
      I made this to simulate the design of the apr carbonio and the forge twintake. both of these intake are completely sealed and have a ram air duct connection to the front bumper. the sealed design helps prevent the intake from sucking in hot air from the engine bay and only getting cool air from outside.
      Last edited by uber_mkv; 09-16-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Vehicles
      09-16-2011 02:53 PM #6
      gotcha

any chance of rain water getting sucked thru the intake with the ram air duct?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      08 TSI Passat
      09-16-2011 02:57 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ruetzal View Post
      gotcha

any chance of rain water getting sucked thru the intake with the ram air duct?
      just as much as the other manufactures

Vehicles
      02 Z06, 13 GTI
      09-17-2011 04:33 PM #8
      You get Internet points for ingenuity.

9. 09-17-2011 08:10 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by uber_mkv View Post
      im not paying $200-300 for a filter on a stick!
      Instead you paid $80 to put a trash can under your hood. To each their own.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI DSG
      09-17-2011 08:13 PM #10
      nice attempt at recreating a Modshack intake, but his looks much better im afraid. Velocity stack, all kinds of heat reflecting materials, top notch.

Last edited by placenta; 09-17-2011 at 08:17 PM.
      Unitronic Stage 1 93 Octane - Unitronic DSG Stage 1 - Golf R Intercooler - R8 Coilpacks - Soundaktor Switch - Tyrolsport Deadset Collar Kits Front + Rear
      LastHumansGarage / GTI Master / Plac

Vehicles
      2007 Jetta 2.0t, 2007 Passat 2.0t
      09-17-2011 10:19 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by placenta View Post
      nice attempt at recreating a Modshack intake, but his looks much better im afraid. Velocity stack, all kinds of heat reflecting materials, top notch.

DIY on this?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI DSG
      09-17-2011 10:21 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by D-OriginalTopshotta View Post
      DIY on this?
      its not a DIY.. its an actual product for sale.
      Unitronic Stage 1 93 Octane - Unitronic DSG Stage 1 - Golf R Intercooler - R8 Coilpacks - Soundaktor Switch - Tyrolsport Deadset Collar Kits Front + Rear
      LastHumansGarage / GTI Master / Plac

13. Member
      Vehicles
      08 TSI Passat
      09-17-2011 11:11 PM #13
      true it does look better but they still want almost $250. and yes it is technically a trash can but at the end of the day it still works for a fraction of the cost. the only thing i could do to make this better would be to use some sort of heat reflecting material on the inside of the filter housing.

Vehicles
      09-18-2011 10:08 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by placenta View Post

Top Notch? for 250 they could have at least gave you a place to attach that breather tube

An intake is cheap as He** to make since all it is is a mandrel bent tube with a filter at the end. The most it will do is give you a better sound from the DV! the hp gain is so minimal most people don't even notice.

I would rather spend the money on a chip and at least I would get HP. Most I will probably do is buy the tube and get a filter! Once the air hits the turbo it heats up extremely quickly anyway, especially on these small turbos.

Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      10-10-2011 03:39 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by MR2ToVW View Post

I was thinking it, but you typed it. LOL

16. Member
      Vehicles
      08 TSI Passat
      10-10-2011 09:00 AM #16
      Anyone have a better idea on material to use? IMO the fact that it started off as a trash can dosnt really matter. It is a pre molded piece of plastic that is easy to work with. I'm open to more ideas

Vehicles
      mk5 tsi hatchback
      10-11-2011 04:45 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by MR2ToVW View Post

Props to the op for taking the time to put this together. Although I think my k&n drop in will work just fine I give props for your work sir.

Vehicles
      mk5 tsi hatchback
      05-02-2012 11:55 AM #18
      Curious to know how this home made intake held up.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      08 TSI Passat
      06-05-2012 08:25 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by kaban View Post
      Curious to know how this home made intake held up.
      Its still on my car and working great.