Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: "Flashlighting" on Edge Lit LED's question.

Vehicles
      08' Jetta
      09-16-2011 12:45 PM #1
      OK time has come, the wife put me on a budget to get a new TV and i have found a few (insignia, westinghouse, Vizio) that fit what i want. all are edge lit LED LCD TV's, 1080P blah blah blah. so i have been reading reviews of them and it seems to be a problem with ALL edge lit LED tv's.
      I have seen pictures and "horror" stories about the light bleeding or "flashlighting" from the edges.

now the only pictures i have seen are in a completely dark room with a black screen or really dard scene in a movie.

My question is, How noticable is this "flashlighting" in a partially lit room? the wife and i NEVER watch movies in a completely dark room, I dont like it, and neither does she. are we going to notice it at all?

I was really wanting to jump up to a 46" but i can get the 55" insignia LED for $900 (crazy cheap price) but it suffers from the light bleeding. should i just stick with traditional LCD and forget about LED (since i cant afford back lit, local dimming ect) or will i be OK.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8T, 00 Suzuki GSX-R 600
      09-18-2011 09:51 AM #2
      I've got the Vizio M470nv and have almost zero flashlighting. If there is, it is not noticeable at all.

3. 09-18-2011 05:56 PM #3
      Any reason why you are not looking at plasma sets?

Vehicles
      08' Jetta
      09-19-2011 12:20 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
      Any reason why you are not looking at plasma sets?
      to be honest, the only reason i wasn't considering them was the size/weight/heat/ and glare. but it seems the size/weight thing is no longer an issue.
      just checked out the samsung 51" PN51D530A3 online, but i will have to go into the store to actually check it out.

and there will always be the burn in issue (even thought it isn't much of an issue these days) in the back of my mind.

5. 09-19-2011 12:33 PM #5
      Would never spend $1000 on a ****ty LED LCD TV when $1200 1080p plasmas are available that will absolutely destroy them picture wise.

With that said, my roommate has a 32" Vizio LED LCD and I didn't notice any edge bleeding.

This is probably 2783839 times better than that insignia
      http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?i...0&l=PRICEGRABB

Vehicles
      08' Jetta
      09-19-2011 01:44 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
      Would never spend $1000 on a ****ty LED LCD TV when $1200 1080p plasmas are available that will absolutely destroy them picture wise.

With that said, my roommate has a 32" Vizio LED LCD and I didn't notice any edge bleeding.

This is probably 2783839 times better than that insignia
      http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?i...0&l=PRICEGRABB
      yeah, i havent really kept up with the times.
      if you or someone else can suggest the best 46"+ Plasma for me under $900 and it must be 1080P as this will be used for gaming and Blueray more than half the time.

7. 09-19-2011 01:48 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by silver_slayer View Post
      if you or someone else can suggest the best 46"+ Plasma for me under $900 and it must be 1080P as this will be used for gaming and Blueray more than half the time.
      http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M8SCHO/...SIN=B004M8SCHO

or this, which has a slightly inferior panel
      http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M8SBGG/...SIN=B004M8SBGG

8. 09-19-2011 02:51 PM #8
      How far from the screen do you sit?

Vehicles
      08' Jetta
      09-19-2011 04:07 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
      How far from the screen do you sit?
      main position is about 10-12 feet on a 30 degree angle (from straight on) to the TV,
      my gaming position (lol) is about 6 feet or so.

we have an unusual living room setup. I'll try and snap a pic today when i get home and take more accurate dimensions.

i will most likely be mounting this on the wall soon after purchase though.

10. 09-19-2011 04:11 PM #10
      main position is about 10-12 feet on a 30 degree angle (from straight on) to the TV,
      my gaming position (lol) is about 6 feet or so.

we have an unusual living room setup. I'll try and snap a pic today when i get home and take more accurate dimensions.

i will most likely be mounting this on the wall soon after purchase though.
      At 10-12 feet, you will not be able to physically perceive a difference between 720p and 1080p on screens 50" or less.. assuming you don't have superman vision. 6 feet however, is well within the range where you will benefit from 1080p.

The all knowing chart:

Vehicles
      08' Jetta
      09-19-2011 04:14 PM #11
      also, how do you all feel about ordering from amazon? I typically like to pick up my stuff in person as i dont know how i feel about shipping an expensive electronic like that.

Vehicles
      08' Jetta
      09-19-2011 04:21 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
      At 10-12 feet, you will not be able to physically perceive a difference between 720p and 1080p on screens 50" or less.. assuming you don't have superman vision. 6 feet however, is well within the range where you will benefit from 1080p.

The all knowing chart:
      lol, the famous chart. i have looked at that many times over the past 2 weeks. someone told me i wouldn't be able to tell the difference bewteen 720 and 1080 on my 37" from the 6 foot mark...and i can definitely see the difference. so maybe i do have superman vision or something (i do have 20/20) either way, i want 1080P, i know that for a fact. I dont need 600hz (although most are that now) and i dont need 3D, or internet connections or anything like that.
      Minimum 2 HDMI inputs, 1 composite input, 1 component input, and 1 audio output. everything else is just icing on the cake for me.

13. 09-19-2011 05:19 PM #13
      lol, the famous chart. i have looked at that many times over the past 2 weeks. someone told me i wouldn't be able to tell the difference bewteen 720 and 1080 on my 37" from the 6 foot mark...and i can definitely see the difference. so maybe i do have superman vision or something (i do have 20/20) either way, i want 1080P, i know that for a fact. I dont need 600hz (although most are that now) and i dont need 3D, or internet connections or anything like that.
      Minimum 2 HDMI inputs, 1 composite input, 1 component input, and 1 audio output. everything else is just icing on the cake for me.
      37" @ 6ft is within the benefits from 1080p zone on the chart. That person was wrong, and your personal experience confirms that

Vehicles
      08' Jetta
      09-19-2011 05:55 PM #14

There is my setup. I stand corrected about the distance. It is actually 8 feet and 12 feet. Still think i want 1080p though. Even though the chart says otherwise, it will make me feel better knowing I have those extra pixels up there.
      Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

09-21-2011 03:10 PM #15
      to be honest, the only reason i wasn't considering them was the size/weight/heat/ and glare. but it seems the size/weight thing is no longer an issue.
      I'm not so sure the heat is a big deal either. I have a 50" LG 50PV400 plasma and a 42" Sharp LCD. The plasma vents more heat out the top for sure but the screen is cool to the touch whereas the Sharp's screen radiates a fair amount of heat. I'd say the total heat emission is similar.

Reflections though... huge problem for me.
      There's always money in the banana stand.

Vehicles
      08' Jetta
      09-21-2011 04:27 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by F1_Fan View Post
      I'm not so sure the heat is a big deal either. I have a 50" LG 50PV400 plasma and a 42" Sharp LCD. The plasma vents more heat out the top for sure but the screen is cool to the touch whereas the Sharp's screen radiates a fair amount of heat. I'd say the total heat emission is similar.

Reflections though... huge problem for me.
      yeah, that is my main concern now. as you can see from the pic above, i have a very large window in the room...that room gets lit up like a christmas tree in the late afternoon when we get home from work. thankfully about 2 hours later it is dark enough were it wouldn't be a problem.
      also, the only seat that would get the glare is the love seat due to the angle of everything.

thinking i may jump on the samsung 51" 720P (you guys convinced me) plasma some time soon. its about $650.

17. 03-13-2012 11:20 PM #17
      This is why when you go to a show where they're using inexpensive LED instruments there's usually very little color effect on the stage. They have to turn ALL the LEDS on just to get the stage bright enough. If that's all you flexible led strip lighting led outdoor lighting fixtures mini led light bars want to accomplish, then save a fortune and buy a couple of cheap halogen work lights at Home Depot which will erase pretty much any number of fixtures using the small LEDs.

18. 03-14-2012 10:49 AM #18
      also, how do you all feel about ordering from amazon? I typically like to pick up my stuff in person as i dont know how i feel about shipping an expensive electronic like that.
      I order everything I can from Amazon.

I bought my 42" Panasonic plasma from them in 2009 with White Glove service.
      I bought my 32" Samsung LCD from them just last week.

I have had no issues whatsoever. With Prime, I paid $3.99 to get my TV overnight and paid no sales tax. The TVs are insured and if anything is wrong with them its simple to return.

Quite simply there's no reason not to use Amazon.