VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Gear Australia Officially Cancelled :(

Vehicles
      8 Rings / TDI
      09-16-2011 12:34 PM #1
      http://m.smh.com.au/drive/motor-news...914-1k8lc.html

Channel Nine has reportedly finally put the show out of its misery today after two years of lacklustre ratings and a cool reception by the critics. After originally attracting 1.5 million viewers last season the new series has dropped to around the 400,000 mark in the past two weeks.
      Host Steve Pizzati confirmed the news this morning on his Twitter feed.
      It's a real shame- I genuinely liked the show.
      PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™
      The people around here tuck their teeshirts into their jeans. So a sense of humor will not be welcomed.

Vehicles
      1996 Saab 9000 CSE
      09-16-2011 12:36 PM #2
      That's too bad. I really wanted to hear everyone complain about how it wasn't anywhere near as good as the UK version.

Vehicles
      1976 Scirocco, 1997 Land Rover Discovery, 2000 Passat Estate, 2014 Chevy Spark EV
      09-16-2011 12:36 PM #3
      bummer.. i liked the aussie version..
      Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S Thompson
      Most of them say they'll do just about anything, just as long as it's not drinking gin with a 200-pound bald psycho in an open car at high noon on Alii Drive or in the Kona Surf parking lot. Which is where I always dump them. Except for the ones who drink gin .. .

4. Member
      09-16-2011 12:37 PM #4
      Meh won't lose any sleep over that, besides I'm waiting for an Iranian Top Gear

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      09-16-2011 01:04 PM #5
      Not surprising in the least. I watched a few episodes and never warmed to it.

Vehicles
      1964 Type 1, 1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon
      09-16-2011 01:12 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaBoyJettaGirl View Post
      Meh won't lose any sleep over that, besides I'm waiting for an Iranian Top Gear
      "Tonight! - We throw a chair over a hedge ; A funny man drives our reasonably priced car ; and some IRGC cadets chase protesters on motorbikes!"
      "They (diesel engines) are so simple and powerful, blocks of pure logic in shining metal." - John Steinbeck

White Ribbon Campaign - Men working to end men's violence against women - www.whiteribbon.ca

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      09-16-2011 01:17 PM #7
      I didn't mind it. I thought the presenters were more likeable than the US TG guys.
      | œ Orchid Euro Importation œ |

Currently driving or working on too many cars...
      | '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT Car Transporter | Mk2 Jetta Limo | '90 Jetta 8V | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Madone 7.9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      09-16-2011 01:18 PM #8
      Crikey!

Vehicles
      '93 Corrado, '07 Mazda 3 CSV
      09-16-2011 01:20 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Crikey!
      Too soon.
      Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      09-16-2011 01:30 PM #10
      Ran out of Bruces?

Anyone recall how the Top Gear Australia Bruces were brought to the test track in a police van? Didn't happen that was on Top Gear Australia:

Vehicles
      2011 Mazda CX-7, 97 Toyota Tacoma: Shaved and Bagged (sold)
      09-16-2011 01:37 PM #11
      Can't wait until the US one ends too. Horrible show.

12. Member
      09-16-2011 01:40 PM #12
      shame, i liked the presenters of the latest season
      I think it's equal to US TG and it's pretty cool to see something from the Aussies.

Altough think it's stupid how the US and AU-versions try to be exactly the same as the UK

Vehicles
      2001 BMW 525iT Longroof
      09-16-2011 02:06 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTaco View Post
      +1

14. Social Media Iron Man(and Administrator) jebglx's Avatar
      VWvortex Fourtitude SpeedArena Swedespeed
      Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI 5DR
      09-16-2011 02:06 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by konkomania View Post
      That's too bad. I really wanted to hear everyone complain about how it wasn't anywhere near as good as the UK version.

Vehicles
      '12 TCLs Favorite Rental SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      09-16-2011 02:11 PM #15
      I thought it was okay. It wasnt the greatest but I feel that the hosts could grow into it just like the TGUS guys did.

At least I got to watch them beat on the Amarok. Makes me wish that they would offer something like that in the US. I see diesel Hiluxs here now and drool. I might walk down to the local VW Commercial Vehicles place and take a look.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      09-16-2011 02:13 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by duke774 View Post
      Altough think it's stupid how the US and AU-versions try to be exactly the same as the UK
      the US version doesn't seem to be trying to be the same as the UK show. they don't do some of the bits, focus more on challenges and cars in America, and even have a completely separate theme song.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

17. 09-16-2011 02:27 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by iadubber View Post
      +1
      Why exactly would you care whether or not the show ends? Is it taking the time slot of some crappy History Channel show that you used to love? Are you anxious for Tanner to get back to doing drifting competitions? Are you hoping Adam Ferrara gets a sitcom gig? Are you married to Rutledge Wood and want him to spend more time at home with the kids?
      Bowtie wearing, tattooed, Mustang driver

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I was more annoyed with the implication of being a Browns fan.

Vehicles
      09-16-2011 02:31 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
      Why exactly would you care whether or not the show ends? Is it taking the time slot of some crappy History Channel show that you used to love? Are you anxious for Tanner to get back to doing drifting competitions? Are you hoping Adam Ferrara gets a sitcom gig? Are you married to Rutledge Wood and want him to spend more time at home with the kids?
      Naw, they just want to show how hip and "with it" they are by dissing on a car show on TV. I mean, why should we, as car guys, want more of those?

Even though their logic was wrong, NBC was right when they said American doesn't want car shows on TV.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

Vehicles
      8 Rings / TDI
      09-16-2011 02:31 PM #19
      PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™
      The people around here tuck their teeshirts into their jeans. So a sense of humor will not be welcomed.

20. 09-16-2011 02:40 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Naw, they just want to show how hip and "with it" they are by dissing on a car show on TV. I mean, why should we, as car guys, want more of those?

Even though their logic was wrong, NBC was right when they said American doesn't want car shows on TV.
      What's funny is that by all accounts I'm aware of, Rutledge is more of what many TCL-ers would consider a "car guy" than any of the other Top Gear hosts, UK or U.S. A guy that owns an '83 slammed Civic Wagon, an LT1 Roadmaster, a 1966 VW Double Cab, and posted about a VR6 Harlequin Golf that was for sale on here on his public Facebook profile? If that doesn't sound like a "car guy", then I don't want to be a "car guy."

Vehicles
      09-16-2011 02:44 PM #21
      What's funny is that by all accounts I'm aware of, Rutledge is more of what many TCL-ers would consider a "car guy" than any of the other Top Gear hosts, UK or U.S. A guy that owns an '83 slammed Civic Wagon, an LT1 Roadmaster, a 1966 VW Double Cab, and posted about a VR6 Harlequin Golf that was for sale on here on his public Facebook profile? If that doesn't sound like a "car guy", then I don't want to be a "car guy."
      Rutlege is more like one of us than anyone on any of the other shows. But even though every one of us here would love to be on a show like that, the moment one of us does, most of us hate him for doing so....

Of course, there's the UKsnobbery.. TG UK can get away with what they do becasue they do it with a British accent.

Vehicles
      mkII diesel jetta, '94 tercel
      09-16-2011 02:45 PM #22
      i didn't mind it, but that's a pretty drastic drop in ratings. oh well.

now, for the record, the US top gear guys have about as much chemistry together as john sterling and suzyn waldman. i don't care if it stays on television for years to come, but that needed to be said.
      OrangeCountyAirCooled.

Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      You could always go into the store with a gas can (new, filled with water) and start acting really weird and fumbling with a road flare or lighter and see if you could get a refund. Slosh some gas on your shoes for smell effect, and just have fun with it!

09-16-2011 02:47 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Chutzler View Post
      "Tonight! - We throw a chair over a hedge ; A funny man drives our reasonably priced car ; and some IRGC cadets chase protesters on motorbikes!"
      I would watch this

Vehicles
      93 525iT, 91 318iS
      09-16-2011 02:48 PM #24
      I made it 10min into an aussie TG episode and turned it off. To be fair, I think it was the first episode and like the US one was pretty bad first time around. Never thought to look it up though and watch current ones. Bummer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      93 525iT

09-16-2011 02:58 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by the brit View Post
      I didn't mind it. I thought the presenters were more likeable than the US TG guys.
      x2,

I've been watching the past season it's its been way better then TG US. The new hosts did a great job

Vehicles
      09-16-2011 03:00 PM #26
      So another reality show can take its place. Kidding. Mostly so I can stop hearing the idiots at my work talk about it by the coffee station.
      Maybe.
      God no.
      Ha. One bad thing to another.
      I wish.

Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      09-16-2011 03:03 PM #27
      That sucks I really enjoyed watching them testing out cars we will never get here!
      It was also fun to watch them beat on the Utes!

Top Gear UK > Top Gear Australia > Top Gear US (Sorry Rutlege!)
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

Someone buy my car already!!

Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

09-16-2011 03:06 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
      That sucks I really enjoyed watching them testing out cars we will never get here!
      last week they tested the Amorok, thought that was pretty cool.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      09-16-2011 03:22 PM #29
      Not to mention he lurks in TCL and refuses to join because people hated on him last season ...

(Even though he promised me he'd join in front of a live studio audience, damn it)
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

30. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-16-2011 03:25 PM #30
      Dude. If you ever get to southern Indiana, I owe you a beer!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      09-16-2011 03:27 PM #31
      having them show up in a paddy wagon to the "ashes" special was fantastic.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

32. 09-16-2011 04:06 PM #32
      So another reality show can take its place. Kidding. Mostly so I can stop hearing the idiots at my work talk about it by the coffee station.
      Maybe.
      God no.
      Ha. One bad thing to another.
      I wish.

Yeahhhh... that's kinda my point . Would you *rather* hear them talk about something even worse?

33. 09-16-2011 04:08 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Not to mention he lurks in TCL and refuses to join because people hated on him last season ...

(Even though he promised me he'd join in front of a live studio audience, damn it)
      Well, yeah... I'm sure he does. I've never met the guy, but I know people who have... and they have nothing but nice things to say about the guy. The sorta guy who would come sit down with a bunch of other car guys and have a beer with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Dude. If you ever get to southern Indiana, I owe you a beer!
      I'd take you up on it if I ever happen to be there, but I don't travel much so slim chances on it .

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      09-16-2011 04:24 PM #34
      Whatever.

It's leagues better than the The Car Show. I've forgotten about that show airing on three separate occasions now. The only thing they do better is having a news segment.
      Esi ϟ Disi

Vehicles
      09-16-2011 04:33 PM #35
      Yeahhhh... that's kinda my point . Would you *rather* hear them talk about something even worse?
      I'd rather them talk about something better. Like the ex stripper w/ the fake titties working down the hall. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      Whatever.

It's leagues better than the The Car Show. I've forgotten about that show airing on three separate occasions now. The only thing they do better is having a news segment.
      Truth. But that isn't saying much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast