VWVortex

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: ABA Fox build

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Fox 1994 Chevy S-10
      10-17-2011 02:52 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by ChevyAndVW View Post
      the oil beather should work. isnt that what its ment for... the piece that is suposed to go there has been blocked off so no vacuum leaks. i HAD to use the Fox exhaust manifold because the ABA wouldnt be a direct bolt up to the down pipe. .
      I didn't mean you should use the ABA manifold. I was trying to explain that the single outlet mani is a downgrade from stock on the ABA. You should use a dual outlet manifold that is compatible with the longitudinal setup, such as a Dasher manifold. I am assuming your main reason for attempting this swap is to increase performance in your Fox? If you happen to get this thing working, you are going to be disappointed by the lack of increased power due to taking shortcuts, and trying to keep it a budget build. Some things you just can't cheap out on.

As far as the breather... The black unit you removed from the valve cover is an actual breather designed to vent, while keeping oil from passing through it. The filter you put in its place is just that, a filter. It will act as a vent, but oil is going to come out of it and go all over your engine.

2. 10-17-2011 09:07 PM #72
      In you mind you want to increase power and performance?
      You have in mind what the parts this need?
      Here we use(for starting) forged pistons and rods, and a "turbo kit". This mix make 300HP or more without heavy hork.
      Here we found the Ethanol easily, and the benefits to use ethanol in turbos are must atractive! Compression high, hi turbo press, more power, less heat...
      Realy...here in Brazil if you tell turbo...automaticaly you tell ethanol.
      You will go use carb(s) or injection?

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1987 VW aba Fox, 1977 Chevy ElCamino, 7 jetskis...
      10-17-2011 09:43 PM #73
      ok. i used the fox manifold for now. if i ever come across a dasher exhaust mani or some duel outlet for cheap b4 i go turbo i will get it but for now getting the engine in, running and etc is my main goal. this manifold "short cut" is only temporary and changing out an exhaust mani when i find 1 or go turbo is pretty easy. and what am i going to lose 5 hp? actualy my whole exhaust is staying the same (-for now-) but im taking out the restrictor donut and punching out the cat. and as far as the hood goes ( casue everyone is dying to know) i have 2 hoods...1 im cutting and the other ill be getting a "cowl induction" type hood made... and at some point i will run e30 motor mounts and lower the sub frame or find some way to lower the engine... and lastly the alternator and radiator.. well heres the pics...

4. Member
      Vehicles
      10-17-2011 09:54 PM #74

2011-10-17_16-32-22_503 by ChevyAndVW, on Flickr

had to cut some things to make it. battery tray just by a little. timing cover a little. installed my stiffer motor mounts. fox oil pick up and oil pan. blocked off and extra coolent port with a random sensor.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      10-17-2011 09:54 PM #75

2011-10-17_18-25-51_361 by ChevyAndVW, on Flickr

knotched out the battery tray

6. Member
      Vehicles
      10-17-2011 09:56 PM #76

2011-10-17_12-03-22_945 by ChevyAndVW, on Flickr

^ with wet paper towels and a socket the size on the hole by pushing in the socket with wet paper towels behind it gets the pilot bearing out!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      10-17-2011 09:59 PM #77

2011-10-17_20-47-51_647 by ChevyAndVW, on Flickr

^ YUP radiator and apternator fit no problem... the adjuster has to be used on the opposite side of where it connects to the block and the teeth have to be ground off and rewelded to the other side to make use of the adjuster... or just use a bolt and do it by hand. but im rewelding it

8. Member
      Vehicles
      10-17-2011 10:02 PM #78

2011-10-17_20-47-37_146 by ChevyAndVW, on Flickr

^ thats about how far the engine is sticking out... i knew this going into the build. 1. cut hood 2. make cowliduction hood. 3. try to lower the motor by lowering the sub frame and using or making shorter motor mounts.

tomorrow. 1. run hoses and etc 2. make alt adjuster 3. basicaly just get everything situated and maybe start installing the new wire harness

9. 10-17-2011 11:04 PM #79
      Nice job. Do you have to do the ecu and
      Cluster swap as well?

10. Member
      Vehicles
      10-18-2011 08:44 AM #80
      Thank you. I am running the new ecu. And I grabbed a cluster from a gl fox with tach. I will be using that at some point. After I get the motor going.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      vw jetta
      10-18-2011 09:23 AM #81
      ok. i used the fox manifold for now. if i ever come across a dasher exhaust mani or some duel outlet for cheap b4 i go turbo i will get it but for now getting the engine in, running and etc is my main goal. this manifold "short cut" is only temporary and changing out an exhaust mani when i find 1 or go turbo is pretty easy. and what am i going to lose 5 hp? actualy my whole exhaust is staying the same (-for now-) but im taking out the restrictor donut and punching out the cat. and as far as the hood goes ( casue everyone is dying to know) i have 2 hoods...1 im cutting and the other ill be getting a "cowl induction" type hood made... and at some point i will run e30 motor mounts and lower the sub frame or find some way to lower the engine... and lastly the alternator and radiator.. well heres the pics...
      you can also use an audi 80 dual manifold.
      A Dutty Dub
      OutCastDubs

12. 10-18-2011 05:31 PM #82

2011-10-17_20-47-37_146 by ChevyAndVW, on Flickr

^ thats about how far the engine is sticking out... i knew this going into the build. 1. cut hood 2. make cowliduction hood. 3. try to lower the motor by lowering the sub frame and using or making shorter motor mounts.

tomorrow. 1. run hoses and etc 2. make alt adjuster 3. basicaly just get everything situated and maybe start installing the new wire harness
      I did not want to talk this, but....I WARNED YOU FOR THE PROBLEM OF HOOD!!

Now you need a solution!

Unfortunately...your hood will be horrible. Excuse-me....but is the truth.

Hehe we use this head(golf CrossFlow) in short block(original of your Fox) and other version of intake manifold(exaust is unnecessary). But...still no close without engine relocation AND hood back lift.
      Manifold:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/cabelo_turbo/1804152680/

With this manifold you will go win less HP in turbo mod, but...is smaller and work with your block.

This power plant have 16,5mm more height as your old engine.

With the original "short block"+crossflow golf header+Golf MK4 manifold+sump "sitted" in sub-chassis = some milimeters to close the hood. Long block+your manifold+no engine relocation = don't close the hood.

Vehicles
      2013 Kia Rio5 SX, 1985 Ford Mustang GT, 1989 GTi 16v
      10-18-2011 07:55 PM #83
      Looks like it is coming along well, and you are hitting the typical hurdles. Keep at it...one thing to note you may want to read heavily through the mk2 forums (many people do these swaps in mk2 chassis cars as its bolt in and plug and play)....your tach will prob not work. I forgot the details but you have to do some extra wiring to get the tach to work right...and your missing a vss signal so that will change things for ecu input as well...I havent read up on one of these aba swaps into a mk2 but there is plenty of information out there regarding it.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      10-18-2011 09:39 PM #84
      i said be fore i knew the proplem with the hood clearence b4 i started the swap.

im currently not running a tach (stock base model fox gauges) but when i put the fox gl (with tach) in i will def have to read up on that.

today got alot done. hollowed out the cat (different exhaust when its time for turbo) started to mock up side exit exhaust. started undoning some of the fox wiring. got the whole coolent sytem lines ran. service plate bolted back on. had to modify the alternator adjustment bracket to work. had to modify the timing covers to fit. basicaly alot of little modifys things to work. should be finishing the wiring tomorrow and should be running if time allows. then tunning. making sure everything is working. cutting hood. etc.

15. 10-18-2011 09:48 PM #85
      Gutted cat, venting freon, got to tell you I am not liking your lack of environmental respect. It ain't 1970's no mo knock that **** off.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      10-18-2011 10:31 PM #86
      omg yah your right i should have swaped a prius motor in my Fox. fyi Foxes in some other companys dont come with that shyt. race cars done have emissions. lawn mowers dont. and 4 cyl cars dont put out alot of emissions anyways! wtf you think no one else on vortex does this and i should just become a tree hugger ***? this is a build thread and this is how IM building my car. you and whoever can build your car the way you want to. but theres a difference.... #1 i wouldnt rag on how your building your car. #2 if you did a cross generation motor (or other upgrades or changes) swap id respect and like your efforts. soo ill be driving my NON-emission fox and my V8 elcamino with no cats/ r-12/ and getting 8 mpg and you can go talk shyt on someone elses page. this is how im building my car like it or not. and thank you everyone else for your encouragement, info and ideas.

17. 10-18-2011 10:50 PM #87
      Ok yea. Calm down your really defensive. We as a car community need to work together and be aware of our environmental impact. I am all for you building your car and more hourse power. But needlessly plouting then posting about it is samefull. I have done 2 ABA swaps in my foxs over the years. The still pass smog super clean. And yes my next fox swap will be a full electric. What you do with consenting trees behind closed doors is none of my bisness. We be helpful or not, it's up to you.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      10-18-2011 11:08 PM #88
      if your so concerned with the enviroment you should get rid of your cars and ride a bike so you can stop contributiong to the "destruction" of the environment.........

more aba build tomorrow with no hp robbing emission bs. should be done soon

19. 10-18-2011 11:15 PM #89
      I do ride my bike as much as possible. I am a car enthusiast not a d-bag. You dont have to be both

20. Member
      Vehicles
      10-19-2011 10:26 AM #90
      Banned.... u said uve done 2 aba fox swaps? R u talking about a complete aba swap or a block swap?

21. 10-19-2011 10:41 AM #91
      Long block swaps with big valve heads. I couldn't justify the HP gains vs the amount of work. Never swapped out the FI system (I like CIS). Also in CA you have to a lot of fees and inspections every year if you swap out the system.
      Last edited by Banned wagon; 10-19-2011 at 10:45 AM.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      10-19-2011 11:23 AM #92
      Oh. So just the block swap. Im MA there's no emissions on a car is old. Right now doing the wiring for the fuel pump so there will be no hard start issues

23. Member
      Vehicles
      90 fox, 85 gli
      10-19-2011 01:26 PM #93
      Cool, since when? Back in the day, they sniffed it at idle. Around the time I got my license, they had treadmills. Budget cuts eh?
      I really suck at smog.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      10-19-2011 02:38 PM #94
      Im talking about now... in Mass...

25. Member
      Vehicles
      90 fox, 85 gli
      10-19-2011 02:40 PM #95
      Sorry, should have stated I grew up in MA. Through the early 90s, they did idle testing. Late 90s through the first half of the 2000s, they had rollers at all state inspection stations.
      I really suck at smog.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      10-19-2011 03:58 PM #96
      Now the car is too old to get any emission test. Plus I know someone that wud give me a sticker anyways. A good new engine with no emissons can be more "eco friendly" than a old bad preforming engine with full emissions. And band. Do u replace ur charcole cannister after 80k miles? Cause that's when they go bad anyways.

Anyways bad to work. Wiring up the ignition right. Had the engine running in the fox already.
      Last edited by ChevyAndVW; 10-19-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Vehicles
      1991 Audi 200 20vt Quattro
      10-19-2011 06:43 PM #97
      whoa everyone coming harsh all the time now.

Don't forget some 1987's came with no cat- his is an 87'

the freon thing sucks, but I can't count how many people refill their system up every month to keep it cold ie: leaking a full system every month. that is painful.

Also keep in mind the awesomeness of this recycling, he has just saved the earth a lot of emissions by reusing a car that has already existed (think about a container ship emissions) along with metal resources.

Away from that note, I love that you are going the whole way with the aba swap. It always makes me laugh when someone modifying a car gets ragged on for it "not being worth the time" when is it ever modifying one of the most shunned vw's of all time?

BTW here in mass 1995 or earlier there is no emissions, it is a "does it smoke" test hope to see her running around me I'm up in the north shore! Bring it to brokedown!!!

28. Member
      Vehicles
      10-19-2011 09:04 PM #98
      finaly some one understands me! lol thank you. and i never even thought about the emissions on the container ship. (or the tractor trailer trucks transporting, even tho i drive trucks for a living) heh the new engine has low miles and doesnt even smoke. and quite fankly i didnt go into this build with emissions in mind. to be honest idc bout them. and this car will still put out probaly same or less than a street bike. the ABA Fox is now running. so tucking the wires. testing everything. seafoaming the engine. tidying up the engine and what not. maybe starting to cut the hood. im also waiting on a intake coupler i despertly need. i didnt know exactly what kind of intake i would need until the engine was in the car. but now its --throttly body-> 90 degree elbow-> MAF-> air filter.

and yes i will be going to brokedown. hope to see you there. i just hope my 90 degree elbow i ordered comes in and i can get the hood cut and maybe exhaust welded a little. (side pipe) or i will be driving it to brokedown with no hood and a stupid looking intake

Vehicles
      1988 Fox Wagon ...................... 1990 Fox Wagon
      10-19-2011 09:10 PM #99

Vehicles
      volkswagens.
      10-19-2011 10:46 PM #100
      i'll be looking for this at brokedown too!

31. Member
      Vehicles
      10-20-2011 01:49 PM #101
      Guess ill be at BrokeDown! Just crove the car with basicaly no issues. Gas gauge didn't work. Figured out it was because the oil oil plug was upside down. Coolent fan is kicking on normaly. No leaks. PLENTY of hps! The power increase is amazing! I will post more and pic/videos later

Vehicles
      1991 Audi 200 20vt Quattro
      10-20-2011 02:13 PM #102
      Guess ill be at BrokeDown! Just crove the car with basicaly no issues. Gas gauge didn't work. Figured out it was because the oil oil plug was upside down. Coolent fan is kicking on normaly. No leaks. PLENTY of hps! The power increase is amazing! I will post more and pic/videos later
      Yessss!!! We are having a pre party in the area at broke down saturday, then going sunday. pm me your phone number and I will text you. I want a ride in it!!!

Vehicles
      1989 vw fox gl turbo, Holset hx35w on meth:)new project 1968 bug and o 86 gti
      10-20-2011 06:10 PM #103
      man i just got done reading all the post stop beating up the guy i drive my 89 vw fox with a
      50mm holset turbo meth injection 3'' exhaust no cats no muffler all day long

ok some of you guys like to put in some info but let him build his car his way just like i did mine
      eveyone just needs to get along here were all fox lovers

Vehicles
      volkswagens.
      10-20-2011 06:53 PM #104
      can't we all get along and hate bro dozers?

35. Member
      Vehicles
      10-20-2011 08:52 PM #105
      ^ lol very nice.

2011-10-20_11-30-13_209 by ChevyAndVW, on Flickr

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast