Check this out: http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/c...ccessories.pdf. ... I thought VW said nothing on the roof
Easy install over all, just took some time with the measurements. Yakima suggests 58 inch cross bars for the front and rear, I ordered 48 inch bars instead. The 48 in cross bar worked perfect in the rear but is about 2 inches short up front. I would order one 58 inch bar for the front and cut it to size. 48 for the rear is fine. Overall, being short up front doesn't hurt anything except I maxed out the width for the front bar and cannot put the end cap on. In addition, I would probably add a half inch to the width measurement (driver base to passenger base measurement) in the front. I added 5/8 in to the rear width measuremtn so the pad was 100/% covered on the vehicle. I do have a luggage box from Yakima named the Rocketbox Pro 11. I will put that together tomorrow and install/take pix. The bike rack was simple. The faring was simple but sorta cheap (it's plastic). I believe any of the bike rack applications work it just depends what type of set up you want and how much you want to spend. Overall 10/10 system. I did a road test on the highway at 70 mph with the bike and there were no issues. I only drove for 2 miles though. I am sure there is drag but that's expected with a roof mounted system. It was very quiet and stable though. I would recommend the faring foto cut down on noise. Sunroof works at full tilt. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Baffles me as well. The mounting points are on the most solid part of the vehicle. Perhaps VW's conern is the strain on the motor from drag etc?
Here is what I ordered:
- 8000124 x 1 Q Towers (sold in 4s)
- 8000635 x 1 Q35 clips (for the front and are sold in pairs)
- 8000728 x 1 Q128 clips (for the rear and are sold in pairs)
- 8000408 x 1 48 inch crossbar (sold in pairs- see my write up before ordering)
- 8002098 x 2 forklift bike rack (sold one ea, shown on vehicle, other options available)
- 8007206 X 6 SKS locks (one lock for each Q tower, and 1 lock for each bike rack)
- 8007047 x 1 38 inch faring (fits well imo but there are other lengths)
- 8007193 x 1 RocketboxPro 11 (this thing is huge but is also Yakima's smallest most sleek design, can use with bike rack(s) as it takes half the roof space, will post pix on 1-8)
The reason Vw is not designing a roof rack is because the roof was not designed to handle weight. Here are some pictures of a Thule rack on a passat. This was one of our sales guys. He used the whole setup from a B6 Passat and had to grind off one nipple on the feet. I checked it out and seems pretty secure. Hope this helps some of you guys.