Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Spied: Audi A6 allroad Test Mule

1. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi TT S line competition, 1984 Audi 4000S quattro, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      09-19-2011 11:50 AM #1

Also out testing this week is what appears to be the next-generation A6 allroad. The mule is so heavily camouflaged unlike the shot of the one testing in South America several weeks ago, one might have mistaken it for an A6... but my camouflage an A6 Avant when that's already been seen? The answer of course is that this is an allroad. We've compared these new shots with the original rear shot (also in our photo gallery linked below) and this latest test mule appears to be consistent with that car.

Alas, Avant fans in America already know that the A6 Avant is not planned for US consumption and as such, allroad versions like this simply won't be coming over to the States. That's not to say there won't be any allroads though as Audi executives have been hinting for a while that the A4 Avant will switch to allroad versions only after the next facelift debuts sometime in the next year.

Check out more photos of the A6 allroad mule after the jump.

Photo Gallery

2. 10-02-2011 05:48 AM #2
      The A4 Allroad WILL be in the USA by August 2012. It will not be an A6... A little birdie told me, but that birdie just happened to be an Audi USA exec.
      Take a closer look at those pics... think "A4"

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Audi A6 Avant; 2007 VW Rabbit; 2002 Audi A4; 1987 Audi Coupe GT
      10-07-2011 05:46 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by R32 802 View Post
      The A4 allroad WILL be in the USA by August 2012. It will not be an A6... A little birdie told me, but that birdie just happened to be an Audi USA exec.
      Take a closer look at those pics... think "A4"
      So who is the "target market" segment for the new A4 allroad?

• Prior C5 allroad owners? probably NOT; too small, no air suspension, underpowered
      • Prior C5/C6 Avant Owners? Probably NOT; too small, underpowered
      • Volvo V70/XC70 Owners? Probably NOT; too small, too expensive
      • Subaru Outback Owners? Probably NOT; too small, too expensive

I would love to see how AoA justified the strategy for this vehicle!

Predicted AoA explanation of this sales failure: "The US market is not interested in wagons."
      Last edited by eTh1nk; 10-07-2011 at 05:50 PM.

4. 10-07-2011 07:56 PM #4
      Have you been in an older Allroad and a new A4 Avant? The newer A4's are pretty decent sized cars. A6 wagons are in high demand... maybe it's a regional thing, but here in VT there will be a shortage of them when they come out.

Quote Originally Posted by eTh1nk View Post
      So who is the "target market" segment for the new A4 allroad?

• Prior C5 allroad owners? probably NOT; too small, no air suspension, underpowered
      • Prior C5/C6 Avant Owners? Probably NOT; too small, underpowered
      • Volvo V70/XC70 Owners? Probably NOT; too small, too expensive
      • Subaru Outback Owners? Probably NOT; too small, too expensive

Predicted AoA explanation of this sales failure: "The US market is not interested in wagons."

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-08-2011 02:11 PM #5
      The capacity of an A4-based wagon is far less than an A6-based vehicle.

There has been an ongoing discussion on Quattroworld about the new A4-based allroad:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/C7A6/msgs/144.phtml

Based on the feedback from current C5 allroad and A6 Avant owners as well as C6 Avant owners, there is NO Interest in an A4 allroad.

I love my A6 Avant and have been an Audi owner since 1987. I want a C7 A6 Avant; NOT an A4 allroad. I will go elsewhere for a European-based AWD wagon if I need to.

I wish AoA understood the US market.

6. 10-08-2011 04:30 PM #6
      Back when the Allroad was available in the US, the A4 at the time was smaller than the current generation. The A4 got bigger since then, and while it isn't as big in the back end as the current A6- it's still a decent sized car. Besides, you can't get an A6 Avant right now anyway. It will sell like crazy. You can't make the arguement that because it doesn't fit what you are looking for, then nobody will want it.
      I drive a Q5 or Land Rover when the weather is bad, so I won't be looking for one... but I know they'll be the most popular new car at every golf course and farmers market in Vermont. I'd be down for a V10 S6 if I could find one.
      Last edited by R32 802; 10-08-2011 at 04:33 PM.

7. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi TT S line competition, 1984 Audi 4000S quattro, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      10-10-2011 10:26 AM #7
      It is as big as the C5, but yes, no air suspension and no high performance engine like the allroad's 2.7T or 4.2 in the past. That said, the A4 sells much higher volume than A6 so an A4 allroad may not appeal to traditional allroad owners, but it will likely still likely outsell the original allroad. I'm not saying that's a good thing for enthusiasts or those of us who'd love an A6 allroad 3.0T or the like... but it will mark sales success.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-15-2011 10:39 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by George@Fourtitude View Post
      It is as big as the C5, but yes, no air suspension and no high performance engine like the allroad's 2.7T or 4.2 in the past. That said, the A4 sells much higher volume than A6 so an A4 allroad may not appeal to traditional allroad owners, but it will likely still likely outsell the original allroad. I'm not saying that's a good thing for enthusiasts or those of us who'd love an A6 allroad 3.0T or the like... but it will mark sales success.
      The cargo volume of the A4 Avant is significantly less than the C5 Avant and allroad, as well as the Volvo V70/XC70 and Subaru Outback. Being able to carry large items is an important rational for owning a wagon-type of vehicle.

So who will be the "target market" segment for the new A4 allroad?

* Prior C5 allroad owners? probably NOT; too small, no air suspension, underpowered
      * Prior C5/C6 Avant Owners? Probably NOT; too small, underpowered
      * Prior VW Passat Wagon Owners? Probably NOT; too expensive, smaller than the most recent generation
      * Volvo V70/XC70 Owners? Probably NOT; too small, too expensive
      * Subaru Outback Owners? Probably NOT; too small, too expensive

Last edited by eTh1nk; 10-15-2011 at 10:54 AM.

9. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      10-18-2011 03:45 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by eTh1nk View Post
      The cargo volume of the A4 Avant is significantly less than the C5 Avant and allroad, as well as the Volvo V70/XC70 and Subaru Outback. Being able to carry large items is an important rational for owning a wagon-type of vehicle.

So who will be the "target market" segment for the new A4 allroad?

* Prior C5 allroad owners? probably NOT; too small, no air suspension, underpowered
      * Prior C5/C6 Avant Owners? Probably NOT; too small, underpowered
      * Prior VW Passat Wagon Owners? Probably NOT; too expensive, smaller than the most recent generation
      * Volvo V70/XC70 Owners? Probably NOT; too small, too expensive
      * Subaru Outback Owners? Probably NOT; too small, too expensive

Depends how you look at it. A4 can come in at a much lower pricepoint. The car is as big as a C5 or previous-generation XC70 and makes an efficiency argument. A4 volume has always been much larger (by several times) than A4. I agree with you in that I think C5 allroad customers may be let down if they appreciated the high performance engine, the air suspension or the C-segment positioning, but I still think it will outsell the previous allroad in volume. It's give and take.

10. 10-18-2011 09:51 PM #10
      If a diesel ends up in it, it'll end up with waiting lists around here... and it probably will end up with a diesel in the second year.