Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1983 Quantum Coupe (2-dr fastback)

1. 09-19-2011 08:05 PM #1
      1983 Quantum 2-Door Hatchback (aka Coupe or Fastback). Owned since 1993, 2nd owner. 4-cyl gas, 5-speed, front drive (not synchro) A/C, PS, no sunroof, manual windows and locks, good tires, correct alloys, stock. Bronze body, brown cloth interior. 132k miles. Not running. In daily use until 2003 when my Mom developed some health issues and could not work the clutch any longer so she bought a car with an automatic. We started it every month or so until about 2 years ago when the fuel pump failed. Not run since. Stored indoors most of that time. Email pics available. Good resto project of a rare VW or a reliable daily driver once you fix the fuel system. SOLD. Thanks.
      Last edited by ducksback; 05-19-2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: sold the car

Vehicles
      1979 B1 Passat/Dasher - 1979 Golf - 1959 Beetle
      09-20-2011 08:12 AM #2
      Post up some pix! Use www.tinypic.com or www.imageshack.us

Post pix here and I'll add it to my for sale section on my site for you - www.vwdasher.com

3. 09-20-2011 07:42 PM #3
      http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l619/ducksback/

This should be the link to about 20 photos. Someone try it and let me know if it works. Thanks for the help.

4. 09-20-2011 11:30 PM #4
      Link to pics works

Vehicles
      09-21-2011 08:15 AM #5
      Pix work! Shall post it up on my site and Twitter right now

6. 09-21-2011 07:40 PM #6
      Thanks for the help in checking the pics. I am not a big computer-type guy.

Vehicles
      09-22-2011 07:03 AM #7
      No problem! Good luck with the sale. If only that car were here, I'd buy that in a heartbeat! We never got them in Australia

8. 09-22-2011 08:51 PM #8
      Yeah, I know what you mean. I go to Germany every so often, and there a all sorts of cool cars there that we don't get in the US, like the Polo and the Lupo, not to mention cars from other manufacturers. I rented a gas engine Polo with a 5-speed a few years ago and it was a ball. If they sold them in the States, I would not think twice about buying one. Or a VW Caddy, which is basically a Golf sedan delivery. Ford is now importing the Transit Connect vans to the US from Belgium, so maybe VW will follow suit with the Caddy. Some cars from Oz are pretty intriguing. I grew up with flathead Fords, and once or twice I have seen a 46-48 Ford Ute at a car show here in Ohio. Right hand drive is strange (I drove a Nissan in Ireland a few years ago, and I never did get used to it) but I would love to have a stock flathead Ford Ute.

Vehicles
      09-24-2011 01:28 AM #9
      The new Caddy has been in Australia for a number of years now. We never got the old Caddy (sporttruck Mk 1) which is a shame. There's only a handful of those here, privately imported. They are cool! We never got the Lupo Nor the first few generations of Polo.

There was one B2 like yours here, for sale about a year ago but don't know what happened to it. Hopefully it went to an appreciative household.

Erk Fords. I've had the misfortune to drive a few Fords for work and I cannot stand them Handle like a bag of potatoes. No thank you

10. 09-29-2011 08:16 PM #10
      "Will you make the car drivable?" No, I don't have the time, and if I did, it would cost a lot more than $450.

"Are you sure the fuel pump is bad?" When it did not start, I pulled the FP relay and jumpered the 30/87 terminals and could not hear the FP run. The gas had some age, so this did not surprise me too much. This was a couple of years ago, and I don't recall if I put 12V directly to the FP terminals, but I think I did. That would be the next obvious troubleshooting step, to rule out any wiring issues.

"How hard will it be to fix?" Depends on your familiarity with Bosch CIS, your troubleshooting skills, and your mechanical skills, among other things. I could make the car run in a Saturday, but I have 20 years of working on K-Jetronic, the right tools, manuals, and skills. If you want these things, you have to dive in, like I did on my first waterpumper VW in 1990 (a 1981 Rabbit Convertible.)

"How much will it cost to fix?" If you buy a new off-brand FP, around $115, or more for genuine Bosch. Or maybe $20 for a junkyard FP. Or free, if you have a spare one. Same with with injectors, which might or might not be plugged, and prices will vary from $60 each for new Bosch to $30 each for off-brand ones, to free if you steal them from a junkyard. The battery is totally dead, so factor in a battery, too.

"How common are the FI parts?" There were a lot of cars made in the 70's and 80's with Bosch K-Jetronic and K-Jetronic with Lambda, including cars from BMW, VW, Audi, Volvo, Saab, and others. The system is pretty modular, so a lot of parts interchange. I have personally used Saab, Volvo, and Audi fuel injectors, control pressure regulators, fuel pumps, idle air bypass valves, and accumulators on my various VWs with no problems. That said, cars from the 70's and 80's are getting scarce in junkyards, but new parts don't seem to be hard to find. If you buy this Quantum, I can throw a spare good fuel distributor in on the deal, in case it is junked up.

"What else is wrong with it?" I can't hazard a guess, after the car has been sitting without running for a couple of years. Probably not that much. It was a running, driving car until the FP quit, and it was stored indoors until last week. There is no mouse damage, either.

Thanks for taking the time to read the ad. Call or email with questions.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '86 GTI 8v
      10-18-2011 11:41 AM #11
      Still FS?

Also, what transmission does the Quantum use? Is it an 020 like in a Golf/Jetta?

12. 02-18-2012 09:56 PM #12
      Thanks for looking, but the Quantum sold today. It belonged to my Mom for almost 20 years, so I am sorry to see it go, but I would never have time to get it going. Also, the trans is not an 020 unit; the B-bodies (Quantum, Dasher, Audi Fox, et.al.) had longitudinal engines, not transverse engines.