Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestion on roof rack for JSW

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI 6MT
      10-10-2011 05:54 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by MANU01 View Post
      They are somewhat noisy I think, anywere above 75 to 80 km/h, and really noticeable at hwy speed, 100-135 km/h and up I guess... Even with the panoroof on tilt, it bothers me, forget about opening the panoroof with them on, it's unbearable...
      Which is why Whispbars > OEM or any other bar. The are dead silent and look eleventybillion times better than any other bar.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 SportWagen TDI
      10-10-2011 09:41 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
      Which is why Whispbars > OEM or any other bar. The are dead silent and look eleventybillion times better than any other bar.
      I still say this is only to the benefit of the high frequency user that needs/wants to save the 2-3 minutes it takes to put the OEM bars on. There really is no reason to have the cross bars on all the time. And even though the Whispbars are silent themselves, whatever you put on them is going to howl like crazy. So again, only if you insist on having the bars on full time would you see the benefit of the Whispbars.

And well I suppose you could argue that you could save a few inches in height with Whispbars...maybe important if you frequent parking garages and carry a bike on top...though I don't know that you'd clear a parking garage with a bike anyway.

And I don't care what you elitist Whispbar owners say, the OEM bars look cooler.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      10 JSW TDI, 12 R
      10-10-2011 10:09 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by sportwagen rick View Post
      I still say this is only to the benefit of the high frequency user that needs/wants to save the 2-3 minutes it takes to put the OEM bars on. There really is no reason to have the cross bars on all the time. And even though the Whispbars are silent themselves, whatever you put on them is going to howl like crazy. So again, only if you insist on having the bars on full time would you see the benefit of the Whispbars.

And well I suppose you could argue that you could save a few inches in height with Whispbars...maybe important if you frequent parking garages and carry a bike on top...though I don't know that you'd clear a parking garage with a bike anyway.

And I don't care what you elitist Whispbar owners say, the OEM bars look cooler.
      I disagree... well, not about it being pointless to run crossbars with nothing on them... but my bike carriers aren't very loud. I don't mind, for example, driving with the roof open on the freeway with road bikes on the car. The mountain bikes are pretty loud though.

IMG_0548 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Oh, and the Whispbars look more OEM than the OEM bars do!

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI 6MT
      10-10-2011 10:33 PM #39
      I will be leaving the whispbars on for the mostpart... not cause I think it looks cool but I take the bike racks on and off as needed - a few times each week so it doesn't pay to keep removing the whispbars when there is no downside to having them on. Did I mention they are silent?
      Revo Tune / afe Intake / Neuspeed Turbo Exit Pipe / Mufflerectomy / ST Coils / Superpro LCAs / 25mm BFI RSB / Golf R Steering Wheel & Shifter / DG Short Shift Kit / RNS-510 / VWR BBK - MKV R32 Rear Brakes /OEM LED HIDs / Nurburgrings / S53 Whispbars

5. Banner Advertiser chris@revotechnik's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      10-11-2011 11:38 AM #40

I don't own any yet, but VW could pay off my car, give me a new tri bike and if they required me to run the oem bars I would decline.. they are terrible.

I've hated the oem option bars since the treks and K2 Mk3s.

Vehicles
      2010 VW GSW TDI
      10-11-2011 12:04 PM #41
      I still say this is only to the benefit of the high frequency user that needs/wants to save the 2-3 minutes it takes to put the OEM bars on.
      I do use them when needed only so far and pull them off. I have 2 bike carriers, that I have not used in recent years, but if I was to put them on the rack, they'd be there for the whole summer months. I also have a roof basket that I use when going to the cottage, or taking/picking people from the airport.
      Plus, I got them at dealer cost when I bought my car...

As anyone tried to use a fairing (with panoroof) on the OEM bars to quiet them down a bit?
      Last edited by MANU01; 10-11-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: add pic
      .: PG 2006 Jetta 2.5L - OEM Font fogs - OEM Euro Navigation - OEM DG Sport Springs - OEM GTI Switch :.
      .: BG 2010 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT Highline - OEM Euroswitch - OEM Racks - 17" Avignon - H&R Sport springs :.
      .: Flickr :. .: Equipped! :.

7. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 JSW TDI , 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel, 2006.5 Jetta TDI (sold)
      10-11-2011 08:13 PM #42
      I shopped around and found the Rhino Racks very nice fit and really quiet About $260

Vehicles
      2012 JSW TDI 6MT
      10-12-2011 05:44 PM #43
      As anyone tried to use a fairing (with panoroof) on the OEM bars to quiet them down a bit?
      I would also like to know about this. One way to find out is to do it yourself right? But I would assume that the factory wind deflector would cause a problem when retracting the panoroof.

Vehicles
      2010 VW GSW TDI
      10-12-2011 08:21 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by peitrus View Post
      I would also like to know about this. One way to find out is to do it yourself right? But I would assume that the factory wind deflector would cause a problem when retracting the panoroof.
      I'm curious about where the fairing legs will sit on the roof/glass. If it's ahead of the glass/mesh, should be fine, on the other hand, if they sit on top of the glass/panoroof, then the panoroof becomes useless. Saw a Golf Wagon today with a Thule fairing, but couldn't see if the car had the panoroof or not.
      .: PG 2006 Jetta 2.5L - OEM Font fogs - OEM Euro Navigation - OEM DG Sport Springs - OEM GTI Switch :.
      .: BG 2010 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT Highline - OEM Euroswitch - OEM Racks - 17" Avignon - H&R Sport springs :.
      .: Flickr :. .: Equipped! :.

10. 10-13-2011 01:34 PM #45
      I'm curious about where the fairing legs will sit on the roof/glass. If it's ahead of the glass/mesh, should be fine, on the other hand, if they sit on top of the glass/panoroof, then the panoroof becomes useless. Saw a Golf Wagon today with a Thule fairing, but couldn't see if the car had the panoroof or not.
      I have Thule Aero bars with the fairing. It renders the panoroof useless. You can't set it far enough to the front for the feet to be off of the glass, and even if you could get it in front of the glass the mesh would not clear. You can, however, raise the rear of the roof with the tilt. But in that case the wind noise is too bad.

I am considering some wispbars. even with the fairing the thule aeros are too noisy. Didn't bother me so much in my allroad because the sunroof was smaller, it had a solid shade and I could block the noise.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      11 jsw tdi
      10-24-2011 12:31 AM #46
      Any comments on ease of install/removal? I want a set that are easy on and off for very infrequent use. Leaning toward Thule and inno.

12. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 jetta sportwagen tdi
      10-25-2011 12:21 AM #47

54' thule square cross bars and 2 folding thule kayak racks with the middle kayak tied between the two

13. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      10-25-2011 12:23 AM #48

14. Banner Advertiser chris@revotechnik's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      10-25-2011 08:09 AM #49
      roof rack threads always make me wish I had time for a kayak. Have wanted one for over 20 years now just too many damn hobbies already.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 JSW TDI DSG
      10-25-2011 01:00 PM #50
      I saw another JSW in the neighborhood that had a kayak on top. Gave him the as I drove past.

16. 10-25-2011 01:49 PM #51
      RickDD,

Looks like you have the Rhino Racks and the Euro Pitchfork? That's what I am eying up. Which Rhino rack was that?

Any noise with racks on? Any sunroof clearance issues?

Thanks

17. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      10-25-2011 04:06 PM #52
      i can get 4 kayaks on the 54' thule crossbars. with antoher set of kayak holders

18. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 JSW TDI , 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel, 2006.5 Jetta TDI (sold)
      10-26-2011 06:48 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by inferno65 View Post
      RickDD,

Looks like you have the Rhino Racks and the Euro Pitchfork? That's what I am eying up. Which Rhino rack was that?

Any noise with racks on? Any sunroof clearance issues?

Thanks

These are the Rhinos i ordered Rhino Aero SXB they are very quiet even with the sun roof slid open at interstate speed , no clearance issues , i mounted mine further back so the air over the windshield carries over the racks.

The bike trays are Euro Pitchforks very nice low profile and sturdy.

Rick

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 tdi jsw
      11-13-2011 01:52 PM #54
      I went with a Yakima rack
      I really wanted the whispers but I was concerned with clearance
      I can keep the roof open with bikes on top in the city but on the highway it's too loud for me

Quote Originally Posted by ujelly View Post
      i wuld just lower it bc i will buy lowers b4 i even by it looks great like dat bc they all are so high but when yoi lower it makes it better that you think

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 tdi jsw
      11-13-2011 01:53 PM #55
      note the nice trick my father played on me with the bottle cages...
      didnt notice that till we were several miles into our day
      lol
      Quote Originally Posted by ujelly View Post
      i wuld just lower it bc i will buy lowers b4 i even by it looks great like dat bc they all are so high but when yoi lower it makes it better that you think

21. Banner Advertiser chris@revotechnik's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      11-14-2011 09:59 AM #56
      Semi related question

Has anyone carried say a piece of plywood on just the rails? I actually need to get a piece of plywood and a piece of sheetrock for separate projects. The plywood would support the sheet rock no problem but wasn't sure if the rails were flat enough to properly support the plywood? Trying to get something done before the weekend or I can just use the outback 2.5XT my parents are driving down that my GF bought after.. but wanted to get it done before they showed up.

I've rented the HD/Lowes trucks before, worth the 20 bucks when you have 10 fence panels and a bunch of 4X4 posts.. seems like a waste for 15 minutes round trip with just a single piece of plywood.

22. 11-14-2011 05:24 PM #57
      I've had my 2012 JSW since August and loving it, but I've been dithering with the age old question since then: Roof Rack or Trailer Hitch Rack for transporting the bikes.

I put my money down to order the Whispbar, with 2 whispbar compatible bike trays, but then my shop told me they don't become a Whispbar dealer till January, even though they're a fairly heavy duty Yakima dealer. So, I took my money back and had a re-think. I looked at the OEM and the basic Yakima options and they all look pretty awful.

Then, chatting with a fellow TDi driver at the weekend, he said he's down to 32mpg on a high speed run with 2 bikes on the roof. My last car had a rack with 3 trays, but it was a gasoline engine and somehow, the MPG was not quite so sacrosanct as with the TDi.

I'm a hardcore cyclist, so bike transportation is pretty important - I've only survived so far, because I've been injured, but having to travel in a friends car to a race this weekend because I can't fit 2 bikes inside my JSW has caused me to get back on track.

In a way, the side rails are an impediment. On my last vehicle (OK, I'll admit it - it was a Scion Xb) I had the roof drilled and a permanent set of cross bars fitted, which looked pretty good - and I had 3 trays permanently installed. VW really should have an OEM option that looks like a true OEM - especially considering the high percentage of people who want / need to fit a rack on the JSW.

Awlright, enough ranting. Where's the thread about trailer hitch receiver mountings?

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI 6MT
      11-14-2011 06:23 PM #58
      Guvnor, I have been told by server serious cycling enthousiasts that they much prefer the roof mounted bikes than those on the rear. First, the bikes on the rear apparently get lots of road grime from being back there, its a bad location for that due to the aerodynamics back there. Second, if you get rear ended, well, it's not good. Yakima bought Whispbar so all Yakima stuff fits on the Whispbars, I have the Yakima front loaders and I love them, it takes less than 2 minutes (literally) to secure a bike on it. Plus, I would hate to put an unsightly hitch on the back of my car...
      Revo Tune / afe Intake / Neuspeed Turbo Exit Pipe / Mufflerectomy / ST Coils / Superpro LCAs / 25mm BFI RSB / Golf R Steering Wheel & Shifter / DG Short Shift Kit / RNS-510 / VWR BBK - MKV R32 Rear Brakes /OEM LED HIDs / Nurburgrings / S53 Whispbars

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta Wagon TDI
      11-14-2011 07:17 PM #59
      Here is my roof rack.

Yakima Rail Grab, 58in bars, Viper bike attachments and wind jammer (not pictured). All is well after the jammer.

2012 Candy White Jetta Sport Wagon TDI

25. 11-14-2011 09:11 PM #60
      Guvnor, I have been told by server serious cycling enthousiasts that they much prefer the roof mounted bikes than those on the rear. First, the bikes on the rear apparently get lots of road grime from being back there, its a bad location for that due to the aerodynamics back there. Second, if you get rear ended, well, it's not good. Yakima bought Whispbar so all Yakima stuff fits on the Whispbars, I have the Yakima front loaders and I love them, it takes less than 2 minutes (literally) to secure a bike on it. Plus, I would hate to put an unsightly hitch on the back of my car...
      I go to bike races and I'd say that trailer hitches are out-numbering roof racks. Friend of mine did get rear ended recently and his bike was damaged. He's happy though - he get's a new bike on the other driver's insurance. Just about everyone with a roof rack has also driven into a low hanging object, including the garage and done damage that way. Either way, bikes on the outside of a vehicle is a risk. But wind resistance is definitely reduced on the back.

Having said all that, now I see the last post from Gienek with the Yakima that they have in my shop. How is the wind noise from that rack arrangement?

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI 6MT
      11-14-2011 09:36 PM #61
      I dunno, I think the whispbars and the yakima front loaders are the best option out there, but that is just my opinion

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta Wagon TDI
      11-14-2011 10:25 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Guvnor View Post
      I go to bike races and I'd say that trailer hitches are out-numbering roof racks. Friend of mine did get rear ended recently and his bike was damaged. He's happy though - he get's a new bike on the other driver's insurance. Just about everyone with a roof rack has also driven into a low hanging object, including the garage and done damage that way. Either way, bikes on the outside of a vehicle is a risk. But wind resistance is definitely reduced on the back.

Having said all that, now I see the last post from Gienek with the Yakima that they have in my shop. How is the wind noise from that rack arrangement?
      The wind noise is not bad after I put on the wind jammer. There is still some, but not unpleasant. I can carry a conversation or listen to music on low and not be bothered by the wind noise.

Now if I open the roof (tilt) there is considerable amount of noise. Open roof, not much though.

I love my set up, the bars are wide enough that I can fit two kayaks and two bikes on top. If you are not hauling much on your bars, but one/two bikes, the other brands with short bars are adequate.

Spare 70 inch bars are in store for me. I can fit a skybox, two bikes and one to two kayaks for long trips.
      2012 Candy White Jetta Sport Wagon TDI

28. 11-15-2011 01:48 AM #63
      Just get some grey PVC electrical conduit. Size it appropriately, NOTCH it to saddle on the existing front-to-back rack and zip-tie it down as cross-bars. With a few elbows and Ts, you could build any config you want. Sort of a V shape is pretty good. Drill in any anchor points or eyes that you need.

Sounds crazy, but it does make a nice LOW crossbar. I'd say too, that sizing the pipe diameter is a personal choice. If you are hauling skis or snowboards, a 1" pipe may work. If you are trying to put kayaks or canoes up there, you might want 1 1/4 or 1 1/2". If you want to put a bike up there, you're on your own. With some skill, anything is possible. Just dry-fit everything before you glue
      Last edited by Apexxx; 11-15-2011 at 01:56 AM.

29. Banner Advertiser chris@revotechnik's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      11-15-2011 07:29 AM #64
      First, the bikes on the rear apparently get lots of road grime from being back there, its a bad location for that due to the aerodynamics back there.
      This is a great point and something to really consider on a wagon or a hatch. There is no trunk overhang blocking the debris being launched up by the rear tires and there is a ton of turbulence behind the car. Dirt basically gets sucked into that area after its shot up by the tires.

Not to mention clean diesel is cleaner and has less soot but there is still ash. You may find a fine dark gray/black powder on your bikes after a long drive simply due to the passive regen.

Also bikes look badass on a wagon , watching stages of the tour make me want to go get another car not ride my bike..

30. Banner Advertiser chris@revotechnik's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      11-15-2011 07:34 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Apexxx View Post
      Just get some grey PVC electrical conduit. Size it appropriately, NOTCH it to saddle on the existing front-to-back rack and zip-tie it down as cross-bars. With a few elbows and Ts, you could build any config you want. Sort of a V shape is pretty good. Drill in any anchor points or eyes that you need.

Sounds crazy, but it does make a nice LOW crossbar. I'd say too, that sizing the pipe diameter is a personal choice. If you are hauling skis or snowboards, a 1" pipe may work. If you are trying to put kayaks or canoes up there, you might want 1 1/4 or 1 1/2". If you want to put a bike up there, you're on your own. With some skill, anything is possible. Just dry-fit everything before you glue
      I might actually try this to move my plywood if the guy in the machine shop next to my office says his trailer is shorter then 8ft.

I'm not putting my bike on PVC though it isn't designed to take a load in that manner. The wood would still be strapped to the car and the PVC would just be evening the load. If you were putting bike carriers or other things on it the load would be very focused and the PVC could easily shatter. Its meant to withstand even internal pressure but not flex and support weight.

Definitely an interesting idea.

31. 11-15-2011 04:31 PM #66
      PVC is pretty hard to break, even in cold. Try a load test. 200lbs on 1ft of pipe is easy.

32. 11-16-2011 08:59 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by chris@revotechnik View Post
      Semi related question

Has anyone carried say a piece of plywood on just the rails? I actually need to get a piece of plywood and a piece of sheetrock for separate projects. The plywood would support the sheet rock no problem but wasn't sure if the rails were flat enough to properly support the plywood? Trying to get something done before the weekend or I can just use the outback 2.5XT my parents are driving down that my GF bought after.. but wanted to get it done before they showed up.

I've rented the HD/Lowes trucks before, worth the 20 bucks when you have 10 fence panels and a bunch of 4X4 posts.. seems like a waste for 15 minutes round trip with just a single piece of plywood.
      Yes, but you have to strap the front and back down too so it doesn't flop in the wind. If you have a large blanket or something it works best to wedge it under the front and strap down against it.

33. Banner Advertiser chris@revotechnik's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      11-16-2011 09:04 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      Yes, but you have to strap the front and back down too so it doesn't flop in the wind. If you have a large blanket or something it works best to wedge it under the front and strap down against it.

Thanks just wanted to hear one other person has done it. My concern when looking at it briefly was the sat ant appeared to stick up above the rails in the back and I didn't want it resting on that and denting the roof. I was going to pull the toe hook out of my A3 so that i had a front and rear attachment point.

34. 11-23-2011 07:23 PM #69
      Well, I finally gave up and went for the inexpensive and simple option - inexpensive because my bike shop is a Yakima dealer, so I get a good team discount and I could use my 3 bike trays from the previous vehicle. Now I look like a real cyclist...........

PB230335 by kchighfield, on Flickr

PB230332 by kchighfield, on Flickr

PB230331 by kchighfield, on Flickr

35. 11-25-2011 10:26 AM #70
      Did a test run up to illegal freeway speeds and I was surprised at the low levels of additional wind noise. Success! My rack arrangement will be on their permanently - its a style/ statement thing, as well as the fact I often carry bikes at very short notice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast