VWVortex

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: C.A.R.S. - Community Assisted Racing Sim

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      03-24-2012 08:08 AM #26
      dang, i thought the azure coast would be Monaco
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      335i | zx6r
      03-24-2012 10:40 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by theuean View Post
      Oh... my.... WOW.

Just had one of those moments where a trailer nails it. Goosebumps all over my body!!!

From 55sec to 1:34, the music rising to panic, anthemic, seeing the detail on the axles and flame from the exhaust, the music fading out as the chorus wails and the sound of that engine making a hard shift up the straight. Seriously, that looks like the best racing game ever.

I WANT IT SO BAD

Turn the volume way the hell up: http://youtu.be/4NSjfaSw4_M?hd=1&t=55s
      I had 3000 watts shaking my desk as i watched and drooled.

3. 03-24-2012 11:25 AM #28
      Just watched the trailer - the sounds are amazing, the theme was a nice touch (Two Steps From Hell: Freedom Fighters - btw, same one used in the Star Trek trailer a couple years back).

I'm tempted, but at full-sim, and a "meh" comp I think I may have to pass..

Vehicles
      13 Rabbits, 92 GTI 16v, Passat 1.8t
      03-25-2012 12:37 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      One thin that really stood out in that trailer was the revs of the car changing as it went over the choppy bumps. I can't think of another game that does that properly.
      GTR2, rFactor... most sims do this.
      Sean
      formerly Speedemon

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      03-25-2012 01:06 PM #30
      can someone copy and paste the list of cars? I can't seem to find it on their forums

6. 03-25-2012 02:50 PM #31
      Well, after conferring with my one buddy who does racing games with me, I decided to invest in it - plunked down $60.00.

This gives me access to the weekly builds, and a copy of the game when it comes out.

A. Wilder --- off the top of my head, the cars are:

-Several different Atoms
      -Several different Caterhams
      -Several different Radicals
      -Audi R18 (in disguise name)
      -A 60's, 70's, and 80's F1 car (also in disguise names)
      -An A4 DTM Touring car
      -A Jaguar LMP-2 style small prototype

Not really many cars at all in the build right now, and all light-weight pure race cars. Not much in the way of any normal, or less-than-super cars.

I can run the game "okay" without DX11. It just looks like a slightly-above average racing game. The tracks are also all disguised, and in various state of build, though I didn't get to look at all of them yet. I have doubts I could run 64 cars with my aging computer (3.0G duo, 4GB ram, GTX 460). But, I figure by the time this is out and really running, I'll have my new rig built --- and as long as I can play it with a buddy for now, I'm fine.

Without reading a million posts on the forum, I have a few things worth mentioning on the current build.

1) The sounds are truly horrible. I really hope they're place-setters, and will be replaced by proper audio.

2) The cars do have a little bit of that "floating above the road" feel, that scares me...very Codemasters-ish. It's not awful, but it does occasionally feel like you're not really in the car, on the track.

3) The lighting is freakin' awesome. I put it to 8:00 in the evening on Spa, hazy cloud cover, and drove a 70's Formula 1 in the dwindling light. Pretty cool. I like that you can adjust the speed of the active time --- meaning you could run a "mini" 2-4 hour LeMans or other 12/24 hour event, and simply speed up the rotation of the sun to fit.

4) Comes out of the box ready for an Xbox controller - it self detected, and was set up to run the instant I started the game. This was nice, because without a wheel, the Xbox controller is the next best thing. It even functioned flawlessly in all of the menus. It also has a comprehensive mapping system, as well as full adjustments for all of the inputs (deadzones, sensitivities, etc.). Meaning the same for any wheel I'd imagine. Complete control over every input device is really nice.

5) I'd really like to try the game in a slightly less super-fast car. I couldn't even handle an Ariel Atom on the Pacific Coast Highway track...just kept spinning out every single corner. I hope a few more "sane" cars are provided with the release.

6) I noticed that a lot of the tracks, even the real race tracks are available in reverse? Or at least that's what the file names said. That's a nice touch. The track selection is fantastic so far...and I'm hoping for more. LeMans, Bathurst, Spa....if those don't get a race fan's heart going....f_ck you.

7) The point-to-point tracks look like great fun. About 20km each, meaning roughly an 7-9 minute Nurburgring style challenge --- also available in reverse. I did get stuck in the map though when I went careening off on the PCH.

All in all, I have hope. Though I need a better rig to really run it with DX11 etc.

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      03-25-2012 06:35 PM #32
      Thanks for the car list! They plan on leaving the game open the modding community, right?

I'd love to see some Porsche, BMW, prototypes, and vintage cars in the future.

8. 03-25-2012 07:12 PM #33
      I'd imagine so - the game is nowhere near done, most of the tracks are just that - tracks, with few off-track items finished or placed. The cars all have fake names and liveries (something I hope is fixed with some licensing).

They do have some more stuff in the works on the site, but I have to imagine there will be plenty of cars available for the game --- and then likely tons of DLC style material - again, possibly community developed.

Vehicles
      ||TRmkviR||CWmkVR32||MGmkIIGTI||
      03-25-2012 07:16 PM #34
      They aren't even close to being finished with the game. Sounds are prelim, car lists and track lists aren't even fully licensed...hence some re-naming in the pre-alpha stages.

These are the same guys behind Shift 1/2 which both have extensive mod lists (tracks and cars). Nogripracing and other sites (nfscars.net I think) are good sources.

10. 03-25-2012 08:01 PM #35
      Some pics I snapped --- while many of the tracks are incomplete, there can still be some good views.

Caterham at Glencairn (a tiny cart track?)

Lotus at Eau Rouge at Spa.

Audi DTM spitting fire in the evening along the Pacific Coast Highway

Gumpert Apollo emerging from a tunnel on the PCH.

Radical tearing through town in the early morning on the Azure Coast.

Just because everyone was waiting to see this in the video. Yes you can get plenty of air.

It can get really damn dark. This is an Atom at Bathurst - not that you could tell.

I think there is a lot of potential here. It will definitely inspire me to get a good rig, and if the final game is as I hope it will be, even a wheel/seat combo.

Vehicles
      04 R32, 07 GTI, 14 JSW TDI
      03-25-2012 09:36 PM #36
      Just signed up and downloading now. Will report back. This looks awesome.

12. 03-30-2012 04:45 PM #37
      Still enjoying...but struggling with this game. I've had to turn on minor traction control and ABS to make any of the cars drivable with the controller. I can not compete with the AI at all, whatsoever.

Maybe it's just the controller, or me getting used to it, but I can't settle into it like I can with Forza 4 etc.

The graphics etc. are still great, and the active lighting, etc are pretty good.

Vehicles
      04 R32, 07 GTI, 14 JSW TDI
      03-30-2012 04:56 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Still enjoying...but struggling with this game. I've had to turn on minor traction control and ABS to make any of the cars drivable with the controller. I can not compete with the AI at all, whatsoever.

Maybe it's just the controller, or me getting used to it, but I can't settle into it like I can with Forza 4 etc.

The graphics etc. are still great, and the active lighting, etc are pretty good.
      Controller works? Doesn't work with iracing or Rfactor.

Vehicles
      03-30-2012 11:12 PM #39
      You can adjust the AI and yeh, they support 360 controllers, among many others.

15. 04-04-2012 07:16 PM #40
      Just updated from Model 179 to 184, and damn what a difference. Not perfect still, but the cars are MUCH more fun to drive, and feel less like slot-cars than the previous build.

Still lacking a bit in the "weight" feel, but they made a huge stride. You can actually drive a Caterham and enjoy it, vs. sticking or spinning. Definitely improving my outlook on the game. They added a BAC Mono car, which looks kind of fun.

No time to drive right now, gotta head to work - will wring this out for the next few days though. I will also be ordering a new more powerful PC setup in the next couple of weeks, so perhaps I can run the game a bit harder, and more pretty.

Vehicles
      04-07-2012 01:03 AM #41
      Took these today from build 189...

nice drift sequence. Entered this one at about 80mph...I lost it on the next corner trying to do it again...lol

17. 04-08-2012 02:18 AM #42
      189? Jeez...time to get on it. I'm excited though, just ordered up new innards for my PC, so should make this even sweeter when available (and more worth a steering wheel...)

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      04-12-2012 11:43 AM #43
      Wow... this looks really awesome.

I might need to check this out!
      كافر
      Save the Nürburgring!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Gotta keep right on the 'Ring. German road rules apply.
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I think you and I have mentioned this one a few times over the years.
      Might as well just make it our signatures at this point.

19. 04-13-2012 12:02 AM #44
      I just hit a hickup in my new PC build, but I'm excited to get it done tomorrow, and try this out with a new rig...and yeah, it's really damn good so far.

Particularly because the updated builds really change stuff --- 189 is infinitely more enjoyable to drive than previous builds. They have some good tracks and cars coming too. The guys leading it are very active on their forums, and want this to be a GT5/Forza beater...and the potential is definitely there.

It does make every other game look pretty ****ty graphically though. Playing Forza 4 immediately following PCARS is pretty shocking.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      04-13-2012 02:08 AM #45
      So... are you paying $60 to run a alpha/beta test for the developers?

When will there be a finished product?
      كافر
      Save the Nürburgring!

Gotta keep right on the 'Ring. German road rules apply.
      I think you and I have mentioned this one a few times over the years.
      Might as well just make it our signatures at this point.

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      04-13-2012 07:13 AM #46
      Did you get a wheel yet? i have an old logitech driving force pro i can let go for cheap.

22. 04-13-2012 06:32 PM #47
      So... are you paying $60 to run a alpha/beta test for the developers?

When will there be a finished product?
      That's the kicker. There are some different, levels, I think like $25-40-60, and then anything over that you're getting into serious programming/sponsorship.

BUT, if you look at the Levels. I got a $60 level, which gives me access to the current build, all tracks and cars...AND a free copy of the game when it comes out. The $25 and $40 versions, give you $25 and $40 off of the final release game. So you're not losing any money at all.

Now once you start getting into the $1000+ stuff, you're getting your company in the game as a sponsor and go to track days and other insane stuff. But no, you're not paying to beta test. You pay for the game ahead of time, and basically have access to the full Beta as they build and upgrade it. You also get access to the forum, where you can voice your opinion, vote in polls for cars/tracks/features.

Now, if you get the lowest end package, you don't have access to a couple of the tracks (not sure about cars). But from my experience so far, the end product will very much be worth $60, so I didn't mind plunking down the change for it.

No, I don't have a wheel yet, some unexpected additional expenses made my build a bit more than I wanted, so it'll be a bit before I get a wheel. Perhaps I'll get some cash for my birthday in a month or so. I'll keep you in mind, but don't save it for me. PM if you want, let me know what you have and how much you're looking for.

EDIT: One other feature I didn't mention which I really like...you can adjust the forward/backward placement of your driver, as well as height. So for certain tracks or cars, you may want to adjust up or down, back or forward to get the best/most comfortable view. This is a nice chance. You can then look around inside the cockpit at leisure (I use the xbox controller). It allows you to actually look and find rear view mirrors which aren't in your line of sight --- and unlike Forza, the mirrors are oriented correctly to let you see behind your car.

Nice touch. Also cool to watch your guy use his feet on the brakes/clutch, though not all of these animations are complete on all cars.
      Last edited by Elbows; 04-13-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Vehicles
      1999 Corvette FRC + 2006 V50 T5 AWD
      04-13-2012 07:12 PM #48
      Might need to build a PC now...

24. 04-13-2012 07:33 PM #49
      Just finished building my new one - need to hook up a spare hard drive, but this one should be able to run better with Direct X11 etc. I have some more PCI slots - may be time to double up my graphics card (cheaper than buying a bigger one).

While I don't think it has been 100% confirmed there is talk of active weather...and the thought of zipping along the Azure coast in the evening during a thunderstorm...well...yeah...

This is the latest gallery of in-game screen shots taken by members. Some of this stuff is mind-blowing. And yes, it does actually look that good when you're playing it.

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews...ty-gallery-15/
      Last edited by Elbows; 04-13-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      04-13-2012 08:08 PM #50
      No, I don't have a wheel yet, some unexpected additional expenses made my build a bit more than I wanted, so it'll be a bit before I get a wheel. Perhaps I'll get some cash for my birthday in a month or so. I'll keep you in mind, but don't save it for me. PM if you want, let me know what you have and how much you're looking for.
      I;ll sell it for basically whatever it cost to ship. It's kind of bulky, it being a steering wheel with pedals. or trade you for your old computer parts, probably better than what i have

EDIT: One other feature I didn't mention which I really like...you can adjust the forward/backward placement of your driver, as well as height. So for certain tracks or cars, you may want to adjust up or down, back or forward to get the best/most comfortable view. This is a nice chance. You can then look around inside the cockpit at leisure (I use the xbox controller). It allows you to actually look and find rear view mirrors which aren't in your line of sight --- and unlike Forza, the mirrors are oriented correctly to let you see behind your car.
      You can do this in iRacing, at least fwd/bkwd, i'm not sure about up/down.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast