Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: C.A.R.S. - Community Assisted Racing Sim

Vehicles
      04 R32 02 WRX
      03-25-2012 09:36 PM #36
      Just signed up and downloading now. Will report back. This looks awesome.

2. 03-30-2012 04:45 PM #37
      Still enjoying...but struggling with this game. I've had to turn on minor traction control and ABS to make any of the cars drivable with the controller. I can not compete with the AI at all, whatsoever.

Maybe it's just the controller, or me getting used to it, but I can't settle into it like I can with Forza 4 etc.

The graphics etc. are still great, and the active lighting, etc are pretty good.

Vehicles
      04 R32 02 WRX
      03-30-2012 04:56 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Still enjoying...but struggling with this game. I've had to turn on minor traction control and ABS to make any of the cars drivable with the controller. I can not compete with the AI at all, whatsoever.

Maybe it's just the controller, or me getting used to it, but I can't settle into it like I can with Forza 4 etc.

The graphics etc. are still great, and the active lighting, etc are pretty good.
      Controller works? Doesn't work with iracing or Rfactor.

Vehicles
      mkV r32 mkII gti
      03-30-2012 11:12 PM #39
      You can adjust the AI and yeh, they support 360 controllers, among many others.

5. 04-04-2012 07:16 PM #40
      Just updated from Model 179 to 184, and damn what a difference. Not perfect still, but the cars are MUCH more fun to drive, and feel less like slot-cars than the previous build.

Still lacking a bit in the "weight" feel, but they made a huge stride. You can actually drive a Caterham and enjoy it, vs. sticking or spinning. Definitely improving my outlook on the game. They added a BAC Mono car, which looks kind of fun.

No time to drive right now, gotta head to work - will wring this out for the next few days though. I will also be ordering a new more powerful PC setup in the next couple of weeks, so perhaps I can run the game a bit harder, and more pretty.

Vehicles
      mkV r32 mkII gti
      04-07-2012 01:03 AM #41
      Took these today from build 189...

nice drift sequence. Entered this one at about 80mph...I lost it on the next corner trying to do it again...lol

7. 04-08-2012 02:18 AM #42
      189? Jeez...time to get on it. I'm excited though, just ordered up new innards for my PC, so should make this even sweeter when available (and more worth a steering wheel...)

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-12-2012 11:43 AM #43
      Wow... this looks really awesome.

I might need to check this out!

9. 04-13-2012 12:02 AM #44
      I just hit a hickup in my new PC build, but I'm excited to get it done tomorrow, and try this out with a new rig...and yeah, it's really damn good so far.

Particularly because the updated builds really change stuff --- 189 is infinitely more enjoyable to drive than previous builds. They have some good tracks and cars coming too. The guys leading it are very active on their forums, and want this to be a GT5/Forza beater...and the potential is definitely there.

It does make every other game look pretty ****ty graphically though. Playing Forza 4 immediately following PCARS is pretty shocking.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-13-2012 02:08 AM #45
      So... are you paying $60 to run a alpha/beta test for the developers?

When will there be a finished product?

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      04-13-2012 07:13 AM #46
      Did you get a wheel yet? i have an old logitech driving force pro i can let go for cheap.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesus is my pilot View Post
      Pro-abortionists are so rabid for the killing of babies they are willing to sacrifice the health and safety of women to make sure they continue.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

12. 04-13-2012 06:32 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      So... are you paying $60 to run a alpha/beta test for the developers?

When will there be a finished product?
      That's the kicker. There are some different, levels, I think like $25-40-60, and then anything over that you're getting into serious programming/sponsorship.

BUT, if you look at the Levels. I got a $60 level, which gives me access to the current build, all tracks and cars...AND a free copy of the game when it comes out. The $25 and $40 versions, give you $25 and $40 off of the final release game. So you're not losing any money at all.

Now once you start getting into the $1000+ stuff, you're getting your company in the game as a sponsor and go to track days and other insane stuff. But no, you're not paying to beta test. You pay for the game ahead of time, and basically have access to the full Beta as they build and upgrade it. You also get access to the forum, where you can voice your opinion, vote in polls for cars/tracks/features.

Now, if you get the lowest end package, you don't have access to a couple of the tracks (not sure about cars). But from my experience so far, the end product will very much be worth $60, so I didn't mind plunking down the change for it.

No, I don't have a wheel yet, some unexpected additional expenses made my build a bit more than I wanted, so it'll be a bit before I get a wheel. Perhaps I'll get some cash for my birthday in a month or so. I'll keep you in mind, but don't save it for me. PM if you want, let me know what you have and how much you're looking for.

EDIT: One other feature I didn't mention which I really like...you can adjust the forward/backward placement of your driver, as well as height. So for certain tracks or cars, you may want to adjust up or down, back or forward to get the best/most comfortable view. This is a nice chance. You can then look around inside the cockpit at leisure (I use the xbox controller). It allows you to actually look and find rear view mirrors which aren't in your line of sight --- and unlike Forza, the mirrors are oriented correctly to let you see behind your car.

Nice touch. Also cool to watch your guy use his feet on the brakes/clutch, though not all of these animations are complete on all cars.
      Last edited by Elbows; 04-13-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Vehicles
      97 RAV4
      04-13-2012 07:12 PM #48
      Might need to build a PC now...
      Evan
      STR #115

14. 04-13-2012 07:33 PM #49
      Just finished building my new one - need to hook up a spare hard drive, but this one should be able to run better with Direct X11 etc. I have some more PCI slots - may be time to double up my graphics card (cheaper than buying a bigger one).

While I don't think it has been 100% confirmed there is talk of active weather...and the thought of zipping along the Azure coast in the evening during a thunderstorm...well...yeah...

This is the latest gallery of in-game screen shots taken by members. Some of this stuff is mind-blowing. And yes, it does actually look that good when you're playing it.

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews...ty-gallery-15/
      Last edited by Elbows; 04-13-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      04-13-2012 08:08 PM #50
      No, I don't have a wheel yet, some unexpected additional expenses made my build a bit more than I wanted, so it'll be a bit before I get a wheel. Perhaps I'll get some cash for my birthday in a month or so. I'll keep you in mind, but don't save it for me. PM if you want, let me know what you have and how much you're looking for.
      I;ll sell it for basically whatever it cost to ship. It's kind of bulky, it being a steering wheel with pedals. or trade you for your old computer parts, probably better than what i have

EDIT: One other feature I didn't mention which I really like...you can adjust the forward/backward placement of your driver, as well as height. So for certain tracks or cars, you may want to adjust up or down, back or forward to get the best/most comfortable view. This is a nice chance. You can then look around inside the cockpit at leisure (I use the xbox controller). It allows you to actually look and find rear view mirrors which aren't in your line of sight --- and unlike Forza, the mirrors are oriented correctly to let you see behind your car.
      You can do this in iRacing, at least fwd/bkwd, i'm not sure about up/down.
      Pro-abortionists are so rabid for the killing of babies they are willing to sacrifice the health and safety of women to make sure they continue.

16. 04-13-2012 08:24 PM #51
      PM, I'll actually be in Raleigh next weekend, maybe we can trade face to face, save the hassle of shipping.

17. 04-17-2012 12:33 AM #52
      The new build (#192) continues to improve on the previous ones. I'm happy to say that the weekly builds are all heading in the right direction. Tons of user feedback is being received, processed, and decided on.

Each build the tracks are slowly more flushed, with off-track stuff added, more lighting (including a rumoured fully-lit carnival wheel at Suzuka, and maybe LeMans). They actually want the wheels moving while you're driving...which would be slick.

They've added several more tracks, but I can't figure out what some of them are. I know Zolder was just added, and a track called Moravia etc. They seem to be doing 50% popular tracks, and 50% more obscure tracks.

Added camera angles, and increased camera movement (you can turn this on and off). All in all, the updates are doing well. I haven't even cranked up the settings since building my new PC innards. Will try it out tomorrow or the next day.

Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      04-17-2012 07:40 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by IDdubber View Post
      Took these today from build 189...

IDDubber and Elbows, can you tell me your PC spec and avg frames per sec when running this game?

are the pic you guys posted are in MAX graphics quality??
      Windows Vista (32bit only)/7/8 "God Mode"
      - Create new folder on desktop
      - rename folder to the following:
      GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Vehicles
      mkV r32 mkII gti
      04-17-2012 09:39 PM #54
      Nah, I have a couple of the small things scaled back as the developers are working on things (remember, the game is still pre-alpha). If I run shadows on ultra the game drops FPS by like 20 or 30. I run it on high and I'm clicking along at 70-90 (depending on track and # of AI vehicles).

My system is in my sig. I added it a little bit ago, just haven't posted in this thread in a bit. Hoping to get some wheel time later this week/weekend, have had a very busy past couple weeks.
      |:.Last.FM.:|Project C.A.R.S.|:.sputnikmusic.:|
      Rig: i5 750 Quad-Core 2.67Ghz OC @ 3.2Ghz|560Ti|8GB DDR3|AcerS271HL|G27|G510|Antec Nine Hundred|Klipsh Pro Media 2.1|

20. 04-17-2012 10:04 PM #55
      Thinking about giving this a whirl. Does it support xbox 360 as a controller input? Can I race vs the computer?

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      04-18-2012 07:09 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by wakeboarderdave View Post
      Thinking about giving this a whirl. Does it support xbox 360 as a controller input? Can I race vs the computer?
      yes and yes, iirc.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-18-2012 07:24 AM #57
      Good info!

I have about 6 weeks left of class (and then I'm done with my MA!) and a brand new PC build that's ready to rock.

I will definitely check this out... I just installed Steam and redownloaded GTR/Race07 - maybe I'll skip out on getting all of those mods up and running.

23. 04-18-2012 04:33 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by wakeboarderdave View Post
      Yep. You can also map all of the controls, input levels, biases, dead zones, sensitivities etc. You can 100% customize your controller (though it comes with a preset to simply pick up the xbox controller and run it).

You can run against AI, which you can also adjust (they have 10-12 sliders which determine a number of traits). I had to dumb down the AI a bit to be remotely competitive, but then again, I suck with most of the cars available.

The true test for me, will be when they release a semi-normal car. Right now, all of the cars are lightning fast track monsters...the Caterham R500 being the closest to a normal car. I need something a bit slower, more friendly to really get used to the tracks, and physics.

24. 04-23-2012 04:59 AM #59
      Downloading new Build (197). They added a 1990 Stock Car which should be interesting (650 horsepower, 3800 lbs.) tuned for road racing.

Unfortunately I got sick in Raleigh and didn't get to meet up with A. Wilder for a wheel...

They've also added a helmet cam I'm interested in trying out....includes a lightly scratched visor, moves a lot more when you're driving/braking etc. Should be interesting!

PS: The 1990 Stock Car is a freakin' blast - easily my favorite thus far of the available cars (still want something a bit slower, and tossable, but it's a great start). The helmet cam adds a nice touch, and overall the game gets better leaps and bounds. Particularly the driving dynamics. The first build I played was very...static? Felt like a Codemasters game of the past, where the car never felt in touch with the track, and felt as if it rotated on a center axis in the middle of the car --- very very unfulfilling.

The current build is 10x better, and seems to get better every week. The car feels more grounded, more alive, and much much more fun (yet realistic). I was a bit "meh" when I first played it, now I'm glad I put the money in. If they do a few more good tracks and really get an excellent car list - this thing will be "the" race game to have. No question. If they keep community support too - you could see a LOT of add-ons post release.

Last edited by Elbows; 04-23-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      04-23-2012 06:31 AM #60
      If you come to Raleigh again let me know, i put the wheel up on craigslist but haven't had any buyers yet.

26. 04-23-2012 07:10 AM #61
      Will do, when you contacted me I was passed out in my car, doped up trying to recoup before we had to host our event...felt like ass. Sorry!

27. 04-28-2012 12:07 PM #62
      This game is just getting better and better.

When I started (5-6 weeks ago?) the game play etc. was very non-fun. It was missing that X-Factor that made you want to go back and keep driving. That has changed by leaps and bounds.

The updates/patches/builds are great - they are doing a lot of work. It's also fun to drive some of the tracks and see them evolve (from blank race tracks to fully detailed maps).

If you guys download it, I highly recommend the Racer 4S (Radical). It is simply sublime, and I'm not normally a fan of genuine race cars. I caught myself driving on Bathurst earlier, as the sun was setting (I set my time to 2x, so it changes but not obnoxiously fast)...next thing I knew I was on Lap 6.

They have a new inside-the-helmet cam, which I was hesitant about at first, but now I really dig it. It's first-person, but moves, sways, and buffets more. It leans in corners, and the nice touch is that it actually looks into the corner just so slightly as a driver would. Kill the HUD and it really does become a seriously immersive drive. It's freakin' tough in the Audi R18 racer though - that thing has sh_t visibility, and the helmet kills it a bit more.

The helmet does have a visor with some minor scratches on it, which is a nice touch.

I have definitely gone from "meh" to "hot damn...". The final product will probably be one of the best racing games in a LONG time. It's great to see a lot of the guys from around the world going to the track, and taking photos and posting them for the developers "no, the tire wall is like this!"

Has anyone else taken the plunge to try this yet?

PS: I'm running a 3.7 Quad AMD, GTX 460, 16-G Ram...and I run the game on "high" without going to "ultra". It already looks astounding. I haven't tried 16-car races yet.

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-28-2012 12:16 PM #63
      Ugh. Now I really gotta pony up and get a good tower. I've been putting it off in favour of other things but this game looks too good to pass up.

29. 04-28-2012 12:34 PM #64

I started a run on the half-finished Laguna Seca (a track I hate) went to turn on my lights...

and...

Realized I didn't have any. Yep, they have a Stock car (1990 --- Days of Thunder!). Depending on the track you choose they auto-set it up for Oval or Road Course before you even start fussing with it.

For those who like prototypes, the Audi R18 is nice...very quiet, very diesely.

Middle of the night at Spa Francorchamps.

This in the helmet view...you can't even see the top of Eau Rouge. It's pretty freakin' claustrophobic in there.

Here is a shot from the 1978 Formula 1 car...again in helmet mode. You probably can't make out the scratches on the visor etc. This was taken at Milan.

30. 04-30-2012 07:31 AM #65
      The following cars are included the latest build of Project CARS:

Ariel Atom 300 supercharged (beta1)
      Ariel Atom Mugen (beta1)
      Ariel Atom 500 V8 '11 (Beta1)

Asano LM11 TDX: "Audi R18 TDI" (beta2)
      Asano X4 Touring "Audi A4 DTM '11"(beta2)

2011 BAC Mono (PreAlpha)

1990 Caper Stock Car "generic 1990's NASCAR"(PreAlpha)

Caterham Superlight R500 (Beta1)

2011 Formula A "generic Formula 1"(Beta1)
      Formula B "Generic GP2?"(beta2)

Gumpert Apollo S(Beta1)

Kart (alpha1)
      Shifter Kart 250cc "SuperKart" (alpha1)

Leonus F68 Cromwell V8 "lotus 49"(beta2)
      Leonus F77 Cromwell V8 "lotus 78"(beta2)
      Leonus F86 Pirault Turbo "lotus 98T"(beta2)

2011 Palmer Jaguar JP-LM (Beta1)

Racer L4-RS "Radical SR-3"(beta1)
      Racer V8-RS "Radical SR-8"(beta1)

WIP

The following cars are being developed by the pCARS team, but are not ready to be put into the builds yet:

Caterham SP/300.R (WIP)
      Caterham Classic (not started yet)

2012 Formula Gulf 1000 (not started yet)

2012 Formula Rookie "2011 formula ford 1600" (WIP)

Mitsubishi Evo VI Tommi Mäkinen Edition (not started yet)
      Mitsubishi Evo IX FQ 360 (not started yet)
      Mitsubishi Evo X FQ 400 (not started yet)

Grabbed this from their forum for those wondering about the current cars in the Beta

Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      04-30-2012 09:15 AM #66
      BUT, if you look at the Levels. I got a $60 level, which gives me access to the current build, all tracks and cars...AND a free copy of the game when it comes out. The $25 and $40 versions, give you $25 and $40 off of the final release game. So you're not losing any money at all.
      Do the "Team Member ($25EUR)" and "Full Member ($50EUR)" have the same access and everything? The only difference is the Full Member will get you a Full game at final release. (Team member need to pay the difference
      Windows Vista (32bit only)/7/8 "God Mode"
      - Create new folder on desktop
      - rename folder to the following:
      GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Vehicles
      mk2 coupe,12 Turbo beetle
      04-30-2012 09:56 AM #67
      let me get this later looks like fun lol
      12.2@116mph-293whp305wtq 22psi stock aba-AC-DD My Jetta
      Current Want list-sunroof delete,paint
      Fifteen52 - Urotuning https://www.facebook.com/PanzerPerformance

33. 04-30-2012 10:05 AM #68
      C.A.R.S have the big Nordschleife ? the VLN there would be huge

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-30-2012 10:26 AM #69
      I'd love a variety of VLN cars to take around that configuration!

Vehicles
      2013 FRS, 2008 R32, 1983 Rabbit
      04-30-2012 11:21 AM #70
      Sub'd.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast