Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Modifying MK4 Airlift Rear

09-25-2011 12:18 PM #1
      I want my rear to sit lower and was thinking of ways to do so.

I have the Airlift Sleeves and thought about cutting a bit off the top bracket so it would fit further up on the nipple and taking the nut off that would go against the rivnut. I'd imagine that I could get another 1/2" or so.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this.

Vehicles
      01 wolfsburg 24V swapped 08 F250 6.4
      09-25-2011 03:57 PM #2
      then why not going the SLAM XL rear bracket for mk5 (SAME REAR BAG)? Cut the nipple off, because you could weld it back in, and use that bracket. Now you have about 2 more inches of play.
      Clutch, Cams, Engine Tuning, Coilovers etc. Call (714)997-5842
      www.FourSeasonTuning.com

09-25-2011 04:15 PM #3
      That would work and it`s a great idea but I don`t want to start doing excessive cutting and welding because I plan to take the bags off when I sell it. I`m just trying to use what I have. Plus, I think 2 inches would be too much, it would start getting some reverse rake.

Vehicles
      09-25-2011 04:23 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by dubbin18 View Post
      That would work and it`s a great idea but I don`t want to start doing excessive cutting and welding because I plan to take the bags off when I sell it. I`m just trying to use what I have. Plus, I think 2 inches would be too much, it would start getting some reverse rake.
      i think the rear beam will bottom out before the bag does. but i understand what your saying.
      www.FourSeasonTuning.com

09-25-2011 05:26 PM #5
      With the airlift rears my beam bottomed out against the frame before the bag was fully deflated. Colin, Martin and I have been talking about modifying the rear beam hub locations up and backwards about 2" just to get the whole range of the bag shifted in reference to the tire. I know someone else did it on here but it broke on the way to a meet or something. Basically you cut off the ends of the beams and weld them up higher.

Vehicles
      09-25-2011 05:48 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by MechEngg View Post
      With the airlift rears my beam bottomed out against the frame before the bag was fully deflated. Colin, Martin and I have been talking about modifying the rear beam hub locations up and backwards about 2" just to get the whole range of the bag shifted in reference to the tire. I know someone else did it on here but it broke on the way to a meet or something. Basically you cut off the ends of the beams and weld them up higher.

ive seen this before, i would love to shorten my rear beam so i could fit lower offset wheel and add some camber, but the only issue i see is alignment issues. i wouldn't attempt it until i have it on a rack telling me everything is perfect before welding.
      www.FourSeasonTuning.com

09-25-2011 06:40 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by MechEngg View Post
      That's good info Sean, thanks for posting it. I hadn't even considered that my beam could be hitting, which would explain why the bag doesn't fully pancake.

Vehicles
      CC with broken suspension.
      09-27-2011 03:51 PM #8
      airlift mk4 rears do bottom out on the brackets before the rear beam hits. Airassisted.com firestone rears on the otherhand are completely bolt in and go as low as the car allows without modifying your rear beam. They also ride excellent and last. ask me how i know

Vehicles
      MyImola, 225 TT
      09-27-2011 06:03 PM #9
      I modified my rear airlift brackets and took almost a half inch out and now they lay out.

I bought extra rear brackets just in case. If you want to buy my unmolested ones so you can send them off to get modified I'll let them go to you for cheaper than I got them from Airlift. I'll post up a before and after pic for refrence in a minute also.
      I'm not a nice person

Vehicles
      MyImola, 225 TT
      09-27-2011 06:05 PM #10
      This was before welding, but you get the idea.

Sent from my alarm clock using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Deceitful; 09-27-2011 at 06:08 PM.
      I'm not a nice person

Vehicles
      lada 2101,rx7,bmw 318i,87 golf gt,93 1.8t two tone,01 flat blue mk4,02 gti 1.8t. 1JZ e21 in works
      09-27-2011 09:27 PM #11
      i've played with this before as well, i used top parts of d-cups on airlift rears to go little lower on friends car.
      with 17's
      IMG_2241 by misha/rat4life, on Flickr
      IMG_2233 by misha/rat4life, on Flickr
      IMG_2247 by misha/rat4life, on Flickr

on another one i also cut the top brackets a little
      with 19"
      IMG_2265 by misha/rat4life, on Flickr
      IMG_2291 by misha/rat4life, on Flickr
      Complete air ride installs,frame notching,welding, in north jersey.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/rat4life/
      roll cages,race rally preps in upstate new york http://www.rktmotors.com/Gallery.html
      follow me on instagram RAT4LIFE

09-27-2011 09:31 PM #12
      ^ thanks for posting that up man. I may just have to do that with the new tire/wheel setup.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      R32 mk4- AUDI A4B6 -
      04-29-2012 03:55 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Rat4Life View Post
      i've played with this before as well, i used top parts of d-cups on airlift rears to go little lower on friends car.
      with 17's
      IMG_2241 by misha/rat4life, on Flickr
      IMG_2233 by misha/rat4life, on Flickr
      IMG_2247 by misha/rat4life, on Flickr

on another one i also cut the top brackets a little
      with 19"
      IMG_2265 by misha/rat4life, on Flickr
      IMG_2291 by misha/rat4life, on Flickr
      I have the same problem in the rears with air lift , so you just trim the upper bracket and it will give you more drop - I got everything installed and its def not low enough

Vehicles
      lada 2101,rx7,bmw 318i,87 golf gt,93 1.8t two tone,01 flat blue mk4,02 gti 1.8t. 1JZ e21 in works
      04-29-2012 09:18 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by viral1 View Post
      I have the same problem in the rears with air lift , so you just trim the upper bracket and it will give you more drop - I got everything installed and its def not low enough
      yes just trim it up ,just like in the picture.
      it is little bit easier if you have 1/4" line going to the rear( fitting smaller size) but if you have 3/8" then you might have to grind down a little where fitting touched the body( you dont want any pressure onto fitting)
      also make sure your bumpstops on the shocks are completely removed or trimmed all the way up to the top mount.
      Complete air ride installs,frame notching,welding, in north jersey.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/rat4life/
      roll cages,race rally preps in upstate new york http://www.rktmotors.com/Gallery.html
      follow me on instagram RAT4LIFE

04-29-2012 03:13 PM #15
      I ended up cutting off the top, shaving it down, then re-welding it; just like rat4life posted. It only made about a 1/4" difference with the winter wheel setup. The summers rest the tires on the fenders so it did nothing for that, but with the idf drop plates going on soon, it might just push it for that extra bit.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      R32 mk4- AUDI A4B6 -
      04-30-2012 02:49 AM #16
      thanks a lot for your help and input man , very appreciated - so I guess Ill order a new set of top brackets just incase the get ruined. . . your Jetta Looks nice , I would love to lay out like rat for life car.

Thanks again.