Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who's up for a Crusty Old Curmudgeon GTG next year?

Vehicles
      mk3 golf and G60 corrado: gone. mk4 1.8t golf and mk5 4door gti: Daily
      09-27-2011 10:46 PM #36
      Yea the cruise sounds like a good idea. I always wanted to get a cruise/bbq/picnic gtg away from the chaos of the strip.
      Selfmade Solutions--Pm pocketrocket:R For all you Vw/Audi needs.
      http://www.selfmadesolutions.net

Vehicles
      A couple OEM+ turbo GTIs
      09-28-2011 07:04 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by odj View Post
      Do they make skinny jeans in 12' 8"?
      Can't say I've ever actually checked.

The cruise is an excellent idea. I am all for that. Cars are meant to be driven not parked.
      meh

Vehicles
      A couple OEM+ turbo GTIs
      09-28-2011 05:53 PM #38
      hmm this went dead. no other geriatric old fogeys wanna go on a cruise?
      meh

Vehicles
      2007 GTI, 2002 TT, 2003 GLI, 1987 Cabriolet
      09-28-2011 06:36 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by T.D.B. View Post
      I think the forum is overwhelmed with pic request threads

Vehicles
      A fast Subie
      09-28-2011 06:55 PM #40
      As long as Im there next year, Im down. Im sure more people will want to go, it's just early. Keep bumping it and make sure to post a new one or revive this one next summer.

Vehicles
      1993 Corrado, 2001 330Ci
      09-28-2011 07:12 PM #41
      My new knee and I will be there. lol

Vehicles
      A fast Subie
      09-28-2011 07:25 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by crrdslcvr6 View Post
      My new knee and I will be there. lol

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Jetta TDi, BMW S1000R, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Brodozed Tacoma
      09-29-2011 03:18 PM #43
      I am 100% in for this. Never before have I seen so many ruined cars driven by girl-jean wearing emo kids.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Jetta TDi, BMW S1000R, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Brodozed Tacoma
      09-29-2011 03:18 PM #44
      p.s. Get your own camera you little bastards.

Vehicles
      Tejas Cucaracha
      09-29-2011 04:06 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schmidt View Post
      p.s. Get your own camera you little bastards.

if I go, I know what GTG I want to go to!!! but driving all the way to OCMD to get my car broken into, keyed, wheels stolen and having to deal with lil ****s with their first time getting drunk phase, makes me pass every year....

Vehicles
      A couple OEM+ turbo GTIs
      09-29-2011 04:18 PM #46
      Hey Pat. How's tricks buddy?

Morio - you should reconsider mate. We need the old farts to band together. I see nothing wrong with splitting the crowd into young/old. It would be to everyones benefit. Although Texas is a hike to Oc.
      meh

12. 09-29-2011 06:56 PM #47
      I am certainly down for a gtg and cruise. I also highly suggest that anyone who shares our perspective of the current "scenensters" looks at renting a place in Ocean Pines or even Rehobeth. Both places are removed and offer secure and quite time to meet up with freinds. I've been going to Ocean Pines for the last 5 years and its great.

BTW would the "Crusty Old Cromudgeon" GTG be labeled as the" C.O.C." Gtg by all the kids?

Vehicles
      mk5 tsi hatchback
      09-30-2011 11:45 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schmidt View Post
      I am 100% in for this. Never before have I seen so many ruined cars driven by girl-jean wearing emo kids.
      Ahahaha! Thanks for that Pat. Great to see some many people chiming in about their dislike of the current state of our beloved car following.

The idiots were always there I just never imagined they would multiply so rapidly.

Vehicles
      2012 Chrysler T & C
      09-30-2011 01:26 PM #49
      I think I just might make this my home thread to post in moving forward. Everyone around me locally is bitching that a Corrado with a cup kit and OEM wheels placed in topdawg. Since it wasnt slammed it doesn't matter that it had a full MK5 GTI conversion from the 2.0T to the entire interior including the dash.

I saw that car and had a nerdgasm. It was flawless in presentation and execution, but since it wasnt slammed on RS's its ****.

Here it is for reference:

Vehicles
      A couple OEM+ turbo GTIs
      09-30-2011 02:06 PM #50
      Anyone that doesn't respect that rado is a tard. That thing is superclean and I'll bet it moves even if still a k03. The plaid door panels are sweet. I want that.

That's the mindset these days man... they've been brainwashed into thinking speed and fwd can't mix so its all about low and slow. What a joke. I love oem+ and I love that corrado.
      meh

16. Geriatric Member JUS_GT_EYEZ's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Green MK1, Red Mk2,Yellow Mk4,Grey Wagon
      09-30-2011 02:26 PM #51
      Any
      That's the mindset these days man... they've been brainwashed into thinking speed and fwd can't mix so its all about low and slow. What a joke. I love oem+ and I love that corrado.
      "Its cool to spool, but I'd rather be blown.." - JUS_GT_EYEZ

My FLickr <-- DUKEDLF
      Digital.Life.Form

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat, 92 Corrado SLC
      09-30-2011 02:56 PM #52
      This is the group I've been looking for. Where were you guys last weekend. Can't wait for the gtg.

Vehicles
      09-30-2011 03:12 PM #53
      I love any corrado and that is so clean. Some people dont understand that you dont have to drag your oil pan on the ground to have a nice car.

19. Geriatric Member JUS_GT_EYEZ's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Green MK1, Red Mk2,Yellow Mk4,Grey Wagon
      09-30-2011 03:17 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by tstras View Post
      This is the group I've been looking for. Where were you guys last weekend. Can't wait for the gtg.

everywhere but the convention center.

"Its cool to spool, but I'd rather be blown.." - JUS_GT_EYEZ

My FLickr <-- DUKEDLF
      Digital.Life.Form

Vehicles
      a few power wheels too many
      09-30-2011 03:41 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by sugmag View Post
      I am certainly down for a gtg and cruise. I also highly suggest that anyone who shares our perspective of the current "scenensters" looks at renting a place in Ocean Pines or even Rehobeth. Both places are removed and offer secure and quite time to meet up with freinds. I've been going to Ocean Pines for the last 5 years and its great.

BTW would the "Crusty Old Cromudgeon" GTG be labeled as the" C.O.C." Gtg by all the kids?
      This thread has given me new hope, if this happens next year I will definately be there. My brother and I have been going to h2oi since it moved to Ocean City. After Jay tried to move "Dubs on the Lake" to Ocean City and created "Dubs on the Beach" we stopped attending that show due to all riff raff and such. If my old brain serves me right I had my antenna stolen, the cneter caps off two wheels and some D-bag stole a rub strip off my brother's car. A rub strip??? Really who does that??? Thats like throwing a shoe at someone other than former President Bush

Any way this is why we stay in Ocean Pines or up in Fenwick Island, DE, not as crowded, and its actually quite at night when your trying to sleep. Granted you can still here the vr, r32, 1.8t, and 2.5 inline 5 cylinder symphony, but you don't get the little tool bags shouting "$hits weak" all night long.

my pants don't cut my nut sack in half (I prefer a proper fit, maybe a little loose incase I need to jog after that cookie), and not only does my baseball cap fit the brim is actually rolled, I'll never understand the flatbrim trend

sorry for the long post, just glad to know I'm not a minority in our car culture anymore

Vehicles
      A couple OEM+ turbo GTIs
      09-30-2011 03:57 PM #56
      Dunno mate... we may actually be the minority now. But that doesn’t mean we have to sit idly by and wither in the shadows. Screw that. I’m going to keep doing what I enjoy. I’m sure not going to waste my extremely limited vacation time looking at "stanced" cars that frankly, look stupid and broken.

Staying north is definitely a different vibe and atmosphere. Very chill and private. I liked it when we stayed up in fenwick, but part of me really loves watching the strip from the balcony’s of the hotels when we went that route. That’s my dilemma... I’d like to be just north enough to be away from most shenanigans, but still able to spectate.

Would it be too much to maybe try to rent out a hotel with a bunch of us? That would definitely be more of an undertaking, but with some forethought and planning anything is possible. I just don’t know if anyone would be seriously interested?

ps- go Penn State!
      meh

Vehicles
      09-30-2011 04:49 PM #57
      I stayed over in ocean pines in 09 and 10. I missed the strip so this year we stayed on 56th only issue I had staying over was if we went over to the strip we might have to sit on the bridge for 30-40 min bothways. My gf wants to stay up in fenwick. Is there alot of places to stay or is it more condo rentals over hotels?

Vehicles
      09-30-2011 04:50 PM #58
      ps- go Penn State!
      Yeah I miss sitting out on balconies and watching all the cars rip up and down the strip too, apparently being up hight off the ground is a good thing from what I saw happen this past year With random curbs getting run into and street corners and condo corners getting hit. I was sad that I missed everythint that is h2oi this year, its like the first one in like 8 years my little brother and I missed. It was kinda of a family and friend tradition for us when ever most of us weren't deployed or stuck working. Apparently there is a small gated community you can rent condos in near Secrets back on the Bay. We may look into this for next year I as long as it won't cost a left nut to stay there If not maybe us more mature/seasoned gear heads could take over the gated condo rentals, that way the oldheads in bermuda shorts hiked half way up their chests won't have to worry about random douchebaggery

And hellzzz Yeah its the PSU Connection

Vehicles
      09-30-2011 04:56 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by 96_VW_golf View Post
      I stayed over in ocean pines in 09 and 10. I missed the strip so this year we stayed on 56th only issue I had staying over was if we went over to the strip we might have to sit on the bridge for 30-40 min bothways. My gf wants to stay up in fenwick. Is there alot of places to stay or is it more condo rentals over hotels?
      its a mix bag, there are allot of high rise condo type of things up in Northern Ocean City right on the Maryland and Deleware boarder. Plus the Fenwick Motel/Hotel is right up on the boarder as well. Personally we've stayed up in a couple of condo's up that way more than a few times now and haven't had an issue. The only complaint is not being close to the strip, however you can actually sit down and eat at restaurant and not have a 2-3 hour wait. That and the beach is in my opinion cleaner and allot quieter up that way. Its more of a family vibe which is nice. h2oi has always been like an extened weekend mini vacation for us so the quiet we experience is welcomed

Vehicles
      1993 Corrado, 2001 330Ci
      09-30-2011 05:06 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by psudubber240 View Post
      its a mix bag, there are allot of high rise condo type of things up in Northern Ocean City right on the Maryland and Deleware boarder. Plus the Fenwick Motel/Hotel is right up on the boarder as well. Personally we've stayed up in a couple of condo's up that way more than a few times now and haven't had an issue. The only complaint is not being close to the strip, however you can actually sit down and eat at restaurant and not have a 2-3 hour wait. That and the beach is in my opinion cleaner and allot quieter up that way. Its more of a family vibe which is nice. h2oi has always been like an extened weekend mini vacation for us so the quiet we experience is welcomed
      Man, this is sounding better and better. Am I that old?
      I remember the 2.0T corrado being built a few years ago and spoke to the owner last year at H20. I've owned corrados for 15 years. He deserved the win. Great job on that car.
      Last edited by crrdslcvr6; 09-30-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Vehicles
      09-30-2011 05:48 PM #61
      ... Apparently there is a small gated community you can rent condos in near Secrets back on the Bay. We may look into this for next year I as long as it won't cost a left nut to stay there If not maybe us more mature/seasoned gear heads could take over the gated condo rentals, that way the oldheads in bermuda shorts hiked half way up their chests won't have to worry about random douchebaggery

If you're talking about Sunset Island which is the gated condos at 67th street, I looked into those when I was down there this year $2,500-4,300 a week for a 5 bdrm 4 bath with a 2 car garage. There's a security guard but he leaves at 10pm

Vehicles
      A couple OEM+ turbo GTIs
      09-30-2011 05:54 PM #62
      but that rado didn't even have bags or RS'! its sucks brah!

clowns.

I'm still really torn on where to stay next year. Looks like I need to do some research on this. If there is anything chill/gated with visibility of the strip I'm all over it.
      meh

Vehicles
      A fast Subie
      09-30-2011 08:12 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by meechelle View Post
      If you're talking about Sunset Island which is the gated condos at 67th street, I looked into those when I was down there this year $2,500-4,300 a week for a 5 bdrm 4 bath with a 2 car garage. There's a security guard but he leaves at 10pm
      Shhhhhhhhh, dont spread this around.

I have stayed here twice. Very nice places. Some are nicer than others. They have strict rules regarding noisy cars (read loud exhaust) and speed limit(14 mph). They have evicted people in the past. And the security guard does not leave at 10. At least not the entire time I was there. Maybe its just for H2O weekend, but there were guards all night long. Which is a great thing. I really like this place. however, each year there are more and more cars. Im hoping that security keeps up with it and continues to get rid of the trouble makers.(God that made me sound old. Wait, Im almost 35)

Vehicles
      A fast Subie
      09-30-2011 08:16 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by JUS_GT_EYEZ View Post
      everywhere but the convention center.

Im 99.9% positive I saw your car parked on the street for Sunset Island, same street as the World Gym. Am I crazy?

Vehicles
      A fast Subie
      09-30-2011 08:25 PM #65
      its a mix bag, there are allot of high rise condo type of things up in Northern Ocean City right on the Maryland and Deleware boarder. Plus the Fenwick Motel/Hotel is right up on the boarder as well. Personally we've stayed up in a couple of condo's up that way more than a few times now and haven't had an issue. The only complaint is not being close to the strip
      For 5 years, I stayed at the Carousel. It's the last high rise in OC on the beach side. Really cool place with reasonable rates this time of year(at last for the condos). 04, 05, 06 this place was great. After the video of the couple doing the nasty in the parking lot went onto Vortex, the place blew up and nearly every Tom, Dick and Harry wanted to stay there. Security was all over the place. But yet, people still threw $hit off the balconies. It's a madhouse down there. This is def not for the OCC guys. Fenwick Inn really isnt either. Friends of mine stay there and they dont sleep much that weekend, if that gives you an idea.

I'll probably stay at SI again, until that place becomes a zoo and I need to find another place where I can drink my IPAs and stouts in peace and toss my line into the bay for dinner.

Vehicles
      A fast Subie
      09-30-2011 08:26 PM #66
      One more idea for the cruise: On the way to Dogfish Head or where ever we go, can we grab the chumps wearing their GFs jean and force them to buy mens attire at the outlets? Damn Im old and cranky.
      Last edited by mrk130; 09-30-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Vehicles
      09-30-2011 09:26 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by mrk130 View Post
      One more idea for the cruise: On the way to Dogfish Head or where ever we go, can we grad the chumps wearing their GFs jean and force them to buy mens attire at the outlets? Damn Im old and cranky.
      I know one guy who really does wear his GF's jeans, I think its kinda creepy actually.

Vehicles
      1992 jetta(daily) 1982 cabby(wifeys) 1984 jetta(project) 2001 jetta(wifes daily)
      09-30-2011 10:02 PM #68
      Hey another (kinda) oldtimer here and just wanted to add that the first 3 years I went to H2O we stayed at the francis scott key its on 50 across from the outlets pretty quiet, clean, and reasonbly priced. They also have a big picnic area out back for guests to use for a potential oldtimers get together. stayed on the strip the last 2 years for a different experiance but we have a little one with us so we like to stay at a more laid back spot.
      Hope this happens cause the wife and I will be up for it.
      mostly lurking rarely posting
      Buy my head----> http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...5#post78881965
      this message sent from an actual computer using an actual keyboard

Vehicles
      A fast Subie
      09-30-2011 10:13 PM #69
      I've seen that place. Glad to hear you liked it. Did you have a place with a kitchen? Do any of them have kitchens? Isn't there a restaurant there too?

Vehicles
      09-30-2011 10:40 PM #70
      That where me and my gf stayed the last 2 years. They have a nice indoor pool and they have a 50's themed resturant. Only issue is there exit has a big speed bump so if your low at all it sucks. So alot of people just got out the incoming way. Its a very nice place and you get a good nights sleep. Its just the coming and going to the strip thats sucks.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast