Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1980 Audi 4000 Garage Find/Estate Sale: Only 11305 miles!

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Ginger, 1981 VW Scirocco S; Genevieve, 1980 Audi 4000; Katy, 1980 VW Scirocco
      09-28-2011 11:30 AM #1

Well, I have been over on the Scirocco forums here at VW Vortex for about a year but have always had love for the 4000 in my heart. I have previously owned a 1984 Coupe GT, 1986 Coupe GT and 1984 4000 S Quattro.

Now I am the proud owner of a 1980 Audi 4000 2Door Sedan. (PICTURES at www.sbfiles.com/audi4000)

The story starts with a Craigslist search about 2 weeks ago. I stumbled upon a listing that referenced an Estate Auction that had an old Audi in it. Further research led me to the AuctionZip listing and a couple of really bad photos. You know, the kind that are just enough to peak your interest but not enough to show squat.

Being a commercial auctioneer and liquidator by profession, I called the auctioneer directly, for more details. It was part of an estate that started in 2008 when granny passed away. I don’t know the details as to why it took until 2011 to have the auction but suffice to say it did. I found out that the Audi was considered to NOT be the prize but instead they pinned all their hopes on the 1991 BMW 325i with 47K miles. I found out that the cars were last driven in 2003 and hadn’t been driven since grandpa had passed away. This was also confirmed by the registrations expiring in 2004. I worked some angles and was able to get a chance to look at the cars and more specifically the Audi, the weekend before the auction.

It was a brisk September morning in the south end of Zanesville, OH and at 8:30AM the garage door went up. It was a single wide but double deep garage and the Audi was stuck in the front and jammed up tight by the BMW. This appeared to be common place by the scuffs on the Audi rear bumper that lined up to the BMW license plate. The Warranty Booklet showed it was a local car that was sold in Zanesville, OH at McHugh VW. That is the dealership where I nearly had a cot in the parts department because I was in there so much during my High School years with my first car, a 1977 Anconia Blue Scirocco turned Tornado Red and somewhere around 200K miles.

After viewing everything but under the hood, because it was in the front of the garage with an over shelf, flat tires and no good way to open the hood, I satisfied myself that it was indeed a one owner car with only 11,305 miles on the clock. The warranty manual and the registrations in the glove box matched as well as a gas station oil change sticker in the driver’s door jam that said the oil was last changed in 1989 with 7900miles on the odometer. I was also assured by the auctioneer that the title provenance passed muster as well. This was later confirmed when I got the title in hand.

Auction day came and I was joined by some friends. Kevin Morrissette from the Columbus Audi Get Togethers (moral support and help if needed), Jeff Melzer from 37 Auto Sales (a good friend and he wanted to buy the BMW) and my favorite independent mechanic Jim Black of Black’s Automotive in Zanesville, OH (I think he wanted a heads up of what might end up at his shop if I got into something I couldn’t wrench myself and he his the author of my favorite car repair quote “A man made it so a man can fix it, as long as he has the right tools and service information.” He has never been afraid of anything foreign or domestic that I take to him and I have taken him so odd stuff over the years.)

The car had been dragged out of the garage by a wrecker because the right rear wheel was locked up. They did wash the cars off with a garden hose and even Armor All’d the tires. This was then the source of my brother’s Facebook post “You know you’re from Zanesville when you Armor All flat tires.”

The auction started with the Audi as the first item. It turned into a d*ck measuring contest with the “Mean Old Bastard”, I WON! This has become my pet name for the guy who ran me up on the bid. All others dropped out by $800 but this guy pushed and pushed until it took $2500 to win. I truly do not believe he had an interest in the car and barely knew what it was but it was his entertainment to mess with people at auctions. Many of the other attendees knew him and grumbled about his presence. There seemed to be a severe lack of positive things to be said about him by the locals. At least I was told that he had the cash to back up his mouth because quite frankly he looked more like a homeless guy than a capable car buyer. I did the bidding and my buddy Jeff ended up with the BMW, so it was a clean sweep for us, though I feel confident I softened up the “Mean Old Bastard” on the Audi because he dropped out of the bidding way earlier, on the BMW with a much higher book value.

With the auction won and the car towed to my father’s garage, where I have my tools, lift and workspace, the real work has just begun.

I went back the next night after the auction and started inspecting and ended up doing more cleaning than anything. I cleaned the windows and detailed the interior as well as started my under the hood inspections. I found where “Mickey & Minnie” had been camping out in the fresh air fan box and likely raised a brood or two of “cheese eatin’ little bastards”. Remarkably the mice did not chew wiring nor enter the cabin of the car. I think it was because all of the vents were closed. Lucky Me!

This weekend I was able to dedicate two half days and managed to remove the stuck brake drum, determine that the cooling system leaked off from a gasket problem around the coolant neck on the head and from around the water pump, replaced the thermostat and O-ring, made sure the motor was free by turning over by hand, changed the oil, investigated the fluidless brake system and did more cleaning. I also drained the fuel tank, hooked up a battery and tried to start the car. I quickly found I had spark, the engine built oil pressure but no fuel delivery. The fuel pump has seized up…

Monday I ordered parts like a drunken sailor from several sources. I hope to get it started this coming weekend as well as work on the brakes.

The brakes are pretty amazing. Even though I don’t trust the rubber components and will be rebuilding calipers, replacing wheel cylinders and master cylinder, it is still way cool that the original pads, rotors, drums and shoes are near perfect with no discernable wear.

I am going to clean up, paint and reuse anything I can vs. replacements. I want to keep it original vs. building a hot sleeper race car. I do have some mild changes in mind that won’t compromise the integrity of the car, like wheels and tires and a NOS Nardi Mahogany steering wheel.

I have my pictures organized by timeline and they can be found at:

www.sbfiles.com/audi4000

Check back for more updates as I get his survivor back on the road.

Stephen
      Last edited by sgjii; 09-17-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: mileage update

Vehicles
      03 A4 Avant, 86 5000 TQ
      09-28-2011 01:28 PM #2

3. Member
      Vehicles
      09-29-2011 12:48 PM #3
      Worked on more clean up last night, fixed the coolant leak and checked into the brake master cylinder. Lots of parts on order...

Don't miss the photo of my new Way Cool NARDI wood steering wheel.

www.sbfiles.com/audi4000

Stephen
      Last edited by sgjii; 10-16-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      10-03-2011 09:30 AM #4
      Holy crap!
      What a score!
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

Someone buy my car already!!

Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      10-03-2011 11:39 AM #5
      Well, I started Friday night after I left the office. I found a pile of parts on my door step from the postman and the UPS man. Unfortunately the "good" box from AutoHausAZ hadn't made it yet, tracking info says it is supposed to deliver Monday/today.

Without the box of goodies like the fuel pump, I knew I wasn't going to see it run this weekend. I continued to work on general clean up and painting components.

I painted the brake booster, in the car. I news papered the heck out of the engine bay and fenders to avoid over spray. Once I painted the booster, the top of the radiator looked like crap comparatively so it got painted too. I got the valve cover off and painted as well as the fan shroud got its paint. I even had some Aluminum Silver engine paint and I freshened up the oil cap, it looks great.

I did more brake work with sanding and painting as well as got the passenger rear brakes reassembled. I forgot how much I disliked drum brakes. I didn't get injured or anything but my hands hurt today from all of the pulling and pushing to get the ebrake cable, springs, etc in place. I also got a surprise when I took the driver's drum off, the brake shoes were Wet! They looked like they had rusty mud on them. Now I know where some more of that brake fluid went, since the resovior was dry. I did use an air hose and purge the brake lines so I didn't run that old nasty fluid through the new hydraulic components. Ultimately I ended up with new brake shoes.

I also ended up ordering reman calipers from AutoHausAZ. When I went to disassemble the driver's caliper for rebuild, the bleeder screw twisted off. I then went to an easy out to remove it and that damn thing broke off in the hole, cheap ass Black & Decker easy outs! I then spent a considerable amount of time trying to drill out the bleeder on the drill press but with the hardened easy out stuck in there, the drill bit just walked towards the sides to eat the threads. I didn't want to have one home rebuild and one professionally rebuilt caliper so I ordered the pair.

Since I have the Bentley Manual now, I was reading on fuel tank removal. It looks pretty straight forward. The more I think about it, I have decided I won't be happy with the unknown of the gas tank. Even though when I drained it, I didn't get a bunch of chunks, just bad smelling gas, I plan to go ahead and remove it and have it professional cleaned out at the local shop. This way I have the fuel system right and tight with a clean tank, fresh filters and new fuel pump.

Seemed like a lot of hours spent without a lot of tangible results. I am sure it will look good when done but it seems like a ton of work left to do. Probably would help if I started in the mornings instead of sleeping in a little and getting rolling around noonish

I added more pictures as well.

www.sbfiles.com/audi4000

Stephen
      Last edited by sgjii; 10-16-2011 at 10:14 PM.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1986 Audi Coupe GT
      10-03-2011 12:33 PM #6
      awesome awesome awesome!

A few of those things I've done to my cgt already but now I see a few more that I'd definitely like to do, namely my rear drums...although you don't make it sound like its all fun and games. I've actually had replacement drums, springs and shoes for a while now but have shied away from getting them done, perhaps it's time...

7. Member
      Vehicles
      10-04-2011 10:36 AM #7
      I inspected inside the fuel tank with one of those lighted LCD cameras, way cool! Unfortunately what I found was a bunch of crud, sludge and rusty crusties inside the tank. I removed the tank, which was surprisingly easy to do, only took 20min. I also found why the fuel gauge isn't working, the float on the sending unit has fuel in it as well as the sender was so rusted and corroded it no longer moves, nor do I have much hope for bringing it back to life.

I called and of course it was NLA as a new part. An internet search turned up empty handed on NOS so used it is. I have a couple of feelers out and think I have a line on a used one from a local contact.

I am also still running the gauntlet on front calipers. As mentioned above, I was going to rebuild the ones I have. It is pretty straight forward and I already had one cleaned up and painted. Then I tried to remove the driver's side and all was well until I tried to open the bleeder screw. You guessed it, twisted off Then I tired an easy out, yep, it twisted off too

AutoHausAZ came back with a status of "Not Available" for the calipers. I now have reman calipers on order a second time through another vendor (International Parts/Vermeer's in Columbus) but my attempts thus far have turned out that a vendor shows them as available but when it came to ordering and actually getting them, no joy. Even Advance, Autozone, O'Rielly's & Carquest come up dry...

So... I am hedging my bets, I have a pair on order with about a week lead time, if they figure out if they have them, in the mean time I have the old caliper with my buddy Jim Black who "knows a guy" who is a machinist savant who thinks he can either extract the broken bleeder or machine it out for an oversized bleeder screw.

The saga continues but tonight isn't a car night so I will have to get back to it Wednesday.

Gas tank photos are up and I changed the photo order to reverse chronological to make it easier to find the new stuff.

www.sbfiles.com/audi4000

Stephen
      Last edited by sgjii; 10-04-2011 at 10:44 AM.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      10-06-2011 11:37 AM #8
      Another night of work. More sanding, wire brushing, sand blasting, prepping, priming and painting...

No new photos, I am sure you are bored with pictures of rusty stuff turning fresh with black paint.

Tonight I plan to finish rear brake assembly and everything but front calipers.

I am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Stephen
      Last edited by sgjii; 10-19-2011 at 11:41 AM.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      10-07-2011 11:20 AM #9
      Worked until midnight again.

I finished the Master Cylinder install, Loomed up the plug wires, installed front brake hoses and finished up the rear brake assembly complete with the repacked bearings, drum install and new dust cap. I think they look mighty snazzy, if I do say so myself. The rear wheels now spin free and aren't damp with brake fluid any longer, yeah! The e-brake also works like a champ now.

I have high hopes for this weekend. I am supposed to get the calipers today as well as the fuel tank back from being cleaned and lined.

I have come across a parts NLA problem but I think I have fix. The fuel filter between the tank and fuel pump is NLA. I think I literally have every cross reference number from Audi/VW, Beck/Arnley, Fram, Wix, NAPA, Carquest, Hastings, etc. (literally 21 references) and they are ALL obsolete and no longer in stock. I tried to order from an eBay vendor but they just waited a week to tell me it is a catalog item that they don't try and get it from a warehouse until an order comes in from the web, ie NIS. I then ordered from another eBay vendor who claims to have one in hand but I likely won't see that until next week.

The fuel filter solution: I have a generic inline 3/8, inlet/outlet, low pressure, paper element, metal canister style filter from Fram. Likely fitment for some old hunk of Detroit iron... It is a couple of inches in diameter and similar size to the plastic original but no mounting tab. I plan to take a piece of flat bracket (car stereo back strap if I remember correctly) and bend it to make a hanger and then hose clamp it to the outside of the fuel filter to mount it on the body tab. Of course photos will come when I get to that.

With any luck, things will come together and I would like to get it started this weekend

Pictures at the same URL
      www.sbfiles.com/audi4000

Stephen

10. Member
      Vehicles
      10-10-2011 11:29 AM #10
      A productive weekend but not without frustrations. First off, I did not get the car started but I also did not try yet as the fuel system isn’t finished.

The BAD:

Friday night I went to pick up the new vented rotors I had ordered but they were not there. I was informed that they are not a fast moving part and when I didn’t pick up promptly, they shipped them back to the warehouse. Fortunately they were only a day away and I reordered.

I tried to get the title work done at the Clerk of Courts Saturday morning, No Joy. They told me that I need court documents showing that the title signer was indeed the executor of the Estate. I am working on resolving that this morning but I tried two different counties and spent half my day driving around.

Came into the shop Saturday morning to find that my pristinely repainted valve cover was laying on the floor scratched, nicked and looking like crap. The box that was supporting it apparently lost its structural integrity and the side collapsed, dumping the valve cover on the floor. I got it repainted but I am concerned about the days of cure time for the engine paint.

I picked up the fuel tank from getting it cleaned and coated internally. I was less than impressed. They did not coat the entire filler neck, just the inside of the tank. This was minor considering that the neck is not where the rust issue was. The bigger problem is they did however paint the sealing goop right inside the neck and coated the flapper where the fuel nozzle at the gas station goes in. This effectively glued the flapper shut. This took quite some time to figure out how to clean the goop off, keep in mind that gasoline won’t dissolve this stuff. I ended up using VHT caliper cleaner in a spray can that I had left from my caliper prepping. It softened the goop but it was still a lengthy challenge.

I left my vinyl fender protector lying in the engine compartment, shut the hood and poke a hole right through it with the hood latch.

Then when bleeding the brakes with my handy dandy European power bleeder, it slipped and fell off the fender down into the engine compartment and busted the face glass on the gauge.

It is still going… I then was replacing the rear brake flex lines. The very last connection to complete the brake system and the flare nut is frozen and starts to round off, even with a proper flare nut wrench. I soaked it with some more PBR blaster and even hedged my bets by buying a section of brake line with new ends. When I returned from the parts run, I got it to break loose and moved on.

I tried to install my Nardi Mahogany steering wheel. I received my NOS original Nardi hub adapter with the old school Audi logo horn button and… crap, the horn contacts aren’t correct. The fine print with the adapter indicated Audi 80 through mid 1975 and the horn contacts were two posts rather than a ring to slide against the contact. So, back to the drawing board for a different hub adapter and $80 down the drain.

I also found some bad news on the exhaust system. I knew it was surface rusty but I saw daylight from where the pipe is welded on the rear muffler. I figured, hmmm, wire brush and a little dab of JB Weld and I would push off getting exhaust work done until I could get a few miles on the car, but No. I went after the weld and the more I brushed the less pipe that was left. Overall it is pretty thin and I fear that I need Cat back exhaust replacement… It is just money, Right?

Last but not least, I thought I would tackle the simple task of replacing the air filter. Yep, you guessed it, wrong filter, too short, wouldn’t fit…

With all of that out of the way, now the GOOD!

Brakes: I now have the brakes completely finished. I received new calipers Friday from Centric. I ended up having to order calipers for an 84 Coupe GT, which has the same hydraulic half but a mounting bracket capable of fitting a vented 20mm rotor rather than the solid 12mm rotor. This dovetailed into my desire for better braking and ceramic brake pads. I took the plunge, bought vented rotors and Wagner Thermo-Quite ceramic pads. I painted the new calipers black and the new rotor hats black as well. I power bled the system with ATE Super Blue and have a good solid pedal. I am very pleased with the brake system end results. ALL new rubber in the whole system: New calipers, new wheel cylinders, new master cylinder and all four new rubber hoses.

Fuel System: I have the fuel tank flapper cleaned and fixed, as referenced earlier. The tank is reinstalled and looking pretty. A special thanks goes out to Kevin Morrissette for a fuel sending unit so the gas gauge functions. The old one was crusted over and badly frozen. I researched and found it to be obsolete but there was fitment carry over from any FWD 4000 or Coupe up to 87. Kevin had a very nice condition used sending unit that he graciously provided with the caveat of “pay it forward”. I of course have leant many a help to my VW and Audi brethren over the years and will continue to do so The high pressure fuel filter in the engine bay is replaced and I purged the fuel lines from the front of the car to the back with an air hose, just as I had done with the brake lines. I wanted to make sure all that crud didn’t get pushed into the fresh components. I still need the pre-filter or a fabrication to make a generic one work, plus the install of new rubber fuel lines to the pre-filter and the fuel pump. I have a pretty new Bosch pump setting in a box ready for install.

Misc:

In the engine compartment I reinstalled the cleaned & painted fan shroud and electric cooling fan and it looks great. I found that the horns didn’t work so I sourced a pair of Klaxon Hi-Lo note genuine Audi horns from a salvage yard online, the donor was a 1992 Audi. I cleaned up the outside of the power steering reservoir and tried to change the air filter as explained earlier.
      I think I am really close to starting the car. My original plan was to replace the timing belt, water pump and V belts but I think I am going to start and run the car and see what things look like before taking that plunge. Visual inspection looks good even though there is some corrosion around the water pump base. Closer inspection makes me think the water pump itself is not the source of the corrosion but instead the coolant that leaked from around the water neck on the head, where I replaced the gasket already, ran down the front of the motor causing the green crusties.

I also have some good news to start my Monday with. I spoke with the local exhaust shop and have all the parts on order for a new Bosal exhaust install this week; that is if I can drive the car over there

I also ordered a Luisi steering wheel adapter that will fit a Nardi bolt pattern. That is coming from GA and should be here this week.

I plan to keep diligently working each night this week until the car is rolling down the street under its own power. Wish me luck on getting things running this week so I can take the weekend drive with the local Audi club.

New photos posted, same URL
      www.sbfiles.com/audi4000

Stephen
      Last edited by sgjii; 10-10-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Vehicles
      03 A4 Avant, 86 5000 TQ
      10-10-2011 01:08 PM #11
      glad the sending unit worked. I may get out this week to visit. Looks like you have alot sorted already. Tell me more about the wrong steering wheel adapter. I think my son may be looking for a new wheel for his CGT. Think it will work?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      10-10-2011 02:17 PM #12
      I will likely be there every night this week or until it moves under its own power, whichever comes first. You are always welcome to stop by. Just call and I will give you an address/directions.

As for the adapter, it is for older Audi. The fine print says through 1975. The splines and turn signal cancel are right but the horn contact is wrong. The horn contact on our cars and most VW/Audi through the late 70's and 80's is on the column and it is a spring loaded tab that rides a circular brass contact on the back side of the wheel. Had I looked closer at the eBay listing I should have caught this from the photos.

Short answer, it won't fit a Coupe GT either.

I really like my Momo Retro, black leather wheel on the Scirocco and I think the Mahogany Nardi will look classy and right with the brown & tan interior of my 4000. If your son ends up liking something vintage from Nardi/Personal then the Luisi steering wheel adapter is the answer, otherwise adapters are available from the steering wheel vendor.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      10-10-2011 02:24 PM #13
      I thought I needed to make recognition and give a special thanks to my girlfriend Kimberly.

First for putting up with my "illness" and listening to me talk VW/Audi.

Second for accepting the time I spend on the cars.

Third for being company for me in the shop, even though I know she has to be bored.

Last but not least, for this weekend. She knows I have been consumed with this project and have neglected household chores for the last couple of weeks. This weekend, she caught up my laundry, cleaned up the kitchen, put cloths and dishes away and I even noticed that the upstairs bathroom trash can was no longer near the tipping point.

Thank you for looking out for me when I myopically shift my focus away from daily duties, it is noticed and appreciated

14. 10-10-2011 07:05 PM #14
      This is a phenomenal story and a hell of a trophy to go with it. Great find keep up the good work.

By the way isn't the Audi a CIS car and wouldn't a scirocco mk2 fuel pump work? Just a thought.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      10-12-2011 10:54 AM #15
      It is a CIS car but my understanding is that a Scirocco MK2 has an "inside the tank" style pump where this is an external that more closely resembles the Scirocco MK1. It is located on a bracket just ahead of the rear axle beam on the passenger's side.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      10-12-2011 11:12 AM #16
      Well, the universe still seems to be pushing back...

I am still fighting to get an inline fuel filter between the tank and pump. The hose diameter is 12mm or roughly 1/2inch SAE. Generic strainer filters are readily available with 1/4 and 3/8 but 1/2inch is a different story. A guy at the O'reilly's auto parts in Lancaster helped find me one. We looked through the paperback Wix catalog. In the back there are technical drawings of all their filters. We finally found one and only one with 1/2 fittings. I ordered with a supposed yesterday arrival. Last night, I went to get it and... you guessed it, No joy I called back this morning and a different guy went and looked and said it was there and he had it in his hand. The first guy didn't look too hard since the computer did show it as arriving yesterday. I guess he couldn't see the filter for the trees, wait that isn't the right quote.

I got the fuel fuel pump installed Monday night. It was a messy job with the black gooey under coating. I also tried to get the crank pulley bolt loose to change out the water pump, timing belt, etc but I couldn't break it loose with a good 625lb impact gun. I think I need the VW/Audi specialty tools 2079 & 2084. I can buy them online for around $200 but I would really like to find a loaner or someone who will let me borrow a personal set. I am not too worried about the water pump and belts for initial start up as they look good by visual inspection. I will worry with those details in the near future, I just want to see it RUN! I only got a chance for a couple of hours so the rest of the time was general shop clean up and tidying up some loose ends.

Last night, after finding I had no fuel filter yet, I went to refill the cooling system, which went fine as did the install of the BBS RA wheels and tires that I borrowed from Ginger, my 81 Scirocco. Last thing after the fuel filter is re-install is the valve cover. I have it pretty and painted and ready to go but I went to do the install and the valve cover gasket was not the right one. Ahhh! It was too short by about an inch. I had specifically ordered the rubber re-usable one but come to find out that it is for a later model of the engine. Back to the old crappy, leaky cork one. At least it is in stock at International Parts here in town and is under $4.00

I will likely update pictures tomorrow as I only have a few from the last two nights.

Stay tuned!!!

Stephen

17. Member
      Vehicles
      10-12-2011 11:20 AM #17
      I can't believe I forgot to mention that I have Named Her!

***Genevieve***

It kinda came to me as I have been working. It seemed to fit. I guess she "spoke to me" during the countless hours I have spent getting her road worthy since I bought her on September 20th.

I have actually been calling her Genevieve for at least a week now

Vehicles
      03 A4 Avant, 86 5000 TQ
      10-12-2011 09:38 PM #18
      Really would like to see your new baby for the run this weekend

19. Member
      Vehicles
      10-13-2011 05:01 PM #19
      Well, it has taken me all day to get around to finally updating from the events of the last 2 days. (A lot going on at work)

Things started out slow Monday with NO fuel filter arriving from any of 3 sources I was trying.

Last night was the night. I started at the garage with 3 fuel filters instead of None. I ended up with a Wix 33299 round metal can low pressure strainer with 1/2inch nipples on each end (I said nipples, hehe). I formed a custom bracket from some radio back strap, a left over bolt from the old calipers and an extra nut found in the trunk of the car, I like to use OEM whenever possible LOL.

I installed the valve cover and new gasket and finished all the little tidy/re-connection work in the engine bay.

At 10:30PM the moment of truth came. I turned the key and started cranking. It cranked dry for a good while and just when I started to get concerned it tried to fire and stumbled. I kept hearing noises like farts in a bath tub (but of course I have only ever heard that noise in the movies) and I believe it was air bubbles in the gas tank from the return line as the air purged from the fuel system. It would fire, stumble, die and I would try again for several more attempts over the next half hour or so. It finally started hitting to the point I got a rough idle. As I tried blipping the throttle, I started hearing things bounce off the hood of my Oldsmobile parked outside the open garage door (didn't want to come this far, only to asphyxiate). I looked behind the car to find a bunch of crap. It was insulation, shredded newspaper, acorns, rocks, sunflower seeds, etc. Apparently Mickey & Minnie had been hard at work raising more cheese eatin' little bastards in the exhaust system. With the rusty swiss cheese like holes, I found that they had made their nest somewhere up towards or in the mid muffler as debris was coming out of holes ahead of the rear muffler. The noise I had heard was acorns shooting at the front end of the Oldsmobile.

The longer it ran, the better it ran and the better the throttle response became. I let it idle for about 6 cycles of the electric cooling fan while I watched for smoke, leaks or any anomalies. I then re-assembled the grill and front end trim, applied the plates from the Scirocco (since the title work isn't done). The only problems I have found are exhaust leaks but I knew that was coming and the dash lights don’t work. It is systemic as they all do not illuminate so I will investigate that tonight.

After a brief clean up of tools and garage while the car warmed, it was time for the test drive. I put it in gear and slowly backed out of the garage. I took it on the trusty test drive loop that has been used since the 80's by my brother and I from car working days gone by. I went out the driveway up the hill and around Jenkins Drive in the upper subdivision. Yes "Jenkins Drive" is family namesake.

When I would let off the throttle and get back on, it missed and stumbled a little and then would clean out. After the Jenkins Drive loop I felt braver and headed for the BP station in South Zanesville and filled up with Premium fuel.

Next it was off to the Soggy Doggy Car and Pet Wash (yes that name is real) for a touch free car wash. All went well and the haze of dust, rust flakes and misc. magically rinsed away. I drove the car back to the shop for another inspection.

I ended up leaving the car in Zanesville as the new exhaust system parts were to arrive today, which they did and there is an 8AM appointment for install Friday/Tomorrow morning.

I hope to find a steering wheel adapter on the door step tonight and then it is off for some more clean up and investigation into the dash lights.

Last thing to mention is the smell of burnt mouse and nest. As the exhaust heated up it wreaks outside the car. I think if there were any living inhabitants in the exhaust, they are now Well Done!

Bottom line is that it runs, drives and seems to be doing well with about 6miles added to the odometer. Barring natural disaster, death my own, etc. I WILL be driving it Saturday with the guys from the Audi GTG on a trip from Zanesville to Athens.

I updated photos again and the story is not over so keep checking back.
      www.sbfiles.com/audi4000

Stephen
      Last edited by sgjii; 10-19-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Vehicles
      03 A4 Avant, 86 5000 TQ
      10-13-2011 06:22 PM #20
      If you need help getting back to your house let me know.

21. Junior Member AudiCoupeGT1986's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Audi Coupe GT
      10-13-2011 07:22 PM #21
      Wow! Absolutely fantastic! The car looks great! Good job on getting it all together. I wish it was this easy to get my car back in running order.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      10-16-2011 10:10 PM #22
      Thursday evening started with a drive of the car. It was very sluggish and had poor acceleration. I tried to take it up the ramp to I70 for a little circle back at the Adamsville exit. On the way up the ramp, I floored it and about 7/8 the way up the ramp I heard a LOUD POP and the car stumbled to barely an idle. I couldn't get above 35MPH and limped the 1.5miles to the next exit. It wouldn't even climb the grade into the Marathon station to investigate. I shut it off and started looking for the source of the loud noise but all passed visual inspection and all fluids were accounted for. After setting for 10minutes thinking that I was royally screwed and would have to call a roll back, I decided to try and start it back up. It started right up and ran just as crappy good as before the loud pop but still not great. I bee-lined back for the shop at my Dad's house.

I went over the whole whole car with New Finish for a quickie detail job. It shone very nice but I still need some touch up paint and more in depth detail work.

I solved the dash light issue and it was just as my brother and I suspected. It was the dash light dimmer portion of the head light switch. I took the switch apart, cleaned all the contacts with Caig DeoxIT-D5, burnished the dimmer contact with a small file and lubed all the contacts with di-electric grease. I re-assembled all and can now see in the dark. Well not really "See in the Dark" but the night time instrumentation viewing has increased 100 fold. I also used interior trim paint to re-dye the speaker grill material in the dash. It looks good now and I will have to do the passenger dash speaker grill next.

I found myself very tired and with the prospect of an 8AM exhaust appointment (followed by a visit to the chiropractor, all this work has taken its toll on me), I decided to just sleep at my Dad's house in Zanesville and take the "walk of shame" the next day at the office in the same clothes.

Friday morning 8AM came and I arrived for my exhaust appointment at Rods Tire Town & Exhaust in Zanesville, OH. They used the drive on style lift so no worries of crushed rocker panels. When they cut off the old exhaust, more acorns rolled onto the floor and the source of the loud pop was discovered. The mid-muffler blew apart and ripped the side open. There was apparently far more obstruction in the exhaust as I had originally estimated. Just under $250 for a new CAT back exhaust installed, thanks Rod and thanks Jim for recommending me there.

With the new exhaust installed it ran like a completely different car. It had acceleration,it would pull a hill and I ultimately drove it to work in Columbus up I70 with speeds upto 85MPH (shhhh don't tell Officer Bob).

When I arrived home after work I found my Luisi steering wheel adapter waiting for me on my front porch along with a package that had my newer logo horn button. I drove the car to Zanesville, installed the Nardi wheel and came home. You are right in thinking it, the install was not all peaches & cream nor was it as smooth as it should have been. I did not get the trim ring that covers the bolt head that I specifically ordered and paid extra for and the horn retainer did not have a spade terminal tab on it like my Momo adapter did for the Scirocco. This meant I had to get creative for adding the other lead to complete the horn button circuit and make it functional. I was also unable to use the old school Nardi blue Audi logo horn button but used the newer one instead. At the end of the day I think I am happier with the newer horn button logo as well as the exposed bolt heads on the wheel.

After a good nights sleep I headed for Zanesville again, this time to meet the other folks for the Audi GTG 1st annual Spook Drive. After a slow start, since we were all standing around BS-ing and looking at each other's cars, we got about a 1.5hr late start to our 10AM drive. We ended up in two groups of about 8 cars each. Group 2 stayed behind for a rear suspension bushing change project.

It was a great drive out of Zanesville, down SR60 to McConnelsville and then 555, etc. through the country to Bill's house outside of Athens. I though Genevieve held her own, didn't have too much body roll and I DEFINITELY seated the front pads and rotors. The longer I drive her, the better she runs!

I have to mention the most unique and broad range of products carried by a BP station in the country that we stopped at. They of course had gasoline, beer, cigarettes, the usual snack/junk food, a head shop, dildos & various adult novelties, some grocery items, a few of the cheapy kid's toys, knives & throwing stars, assorted hemp related items and last but not least a NAPA brake line rack with assorted lengths of brake lines with flare nuts. There wasn't much you couldn't do with a small visit to the BP

Bill and GF put out an exceptional spread of chow for the group, Thank You again! Burgers & trimmings, brats, some awesome guacamole dip, cheesy potatoes, etc. If you went away hungry, it was your own damn fault. Oh, and anybody who didn't slip Bill a few bucks for the awesome spread, consider doing so, I know from personal experience, entertaining doesn't come free to feed that many people and feed them as well as we were fed. (I hope my contribution helped defray it a little).

On the drive home it was quite ironic that I would see another early 80s Audi 4000 S 2 Door sedan. What are the odds? It was literally setting on the Muskingum/Morgan County line near Eagleport, OH. It was a silver 4000 S, which I believe to be a 4cyl FWD and it was "THUMPED". dangling rear bumper, some rust, damaged front fender & headlight and it appeared to have newer chocolate velour Coupe GT seats in it.

Today/Sunday I drove the car again to meet some friends for a picnic at Slate Run Metro Park near Lithopolis. Had a great time seeing the gang gain. I then drove to my Mom's place in Thornville and we ended up going to dinner. Yep, drove the Audi and even took 4 adults and Genevieve didn't complain a bit and the rear seat passengers only complained about getting in and out but seemed comfortable along the way.

All told I have driven her just over 500miles. I can't say enough about how impressed I am with this 31 year old beauty. Genevieve exemplifies the 80's German Car Experience.

I am sure I will follow up on little finds and fixes as I strive for perfection so check back.

More photos posted
      www.sbfiles.com/audi4000

Stephen
      Last edited by sgjii; 10-19-2011 at 11:50 AM.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      10-19-2011 11:58 AM #23
      Well, I have driven her about 700 miles now. Just keeps running better the longer she goes.

I stopped by Kumler Collision this morning for an estimate to fix the lower valence below the front bumper. I know, I don't really want any paint work on the car but the previous owner had pulled too far forward and crunched a concrete curb stop. The damage is minor but it has been there a long time and it is surface rusty where the paint is broken. I don't want future problems there so I think I need to get it fixed. The estimate was in the clouds but then again you get what you pay for and Kumler is hands down the best with body & paint in my opinion and based on years of experience with them.

One concern I have is that Kumler's want to use new technology water based paint base/clear. I might try cousin Jeff at Jeff Jenkins Body Shop and see what he has to say and if he could use something more period correct for paint.

I will keep you posted and no new pictures currently.

Stephen

24. Member
      Vehicles
      10-26-2011 10:48 AM #24
      I got Genevieve her own set of shoes, she no longer has to borrow her sister's BBS RAs.

I found a set of 1992 OEM Corrado BBS 15" wheels on Craig's List, near Mansfield, Thanks Chris!

They were refinished in Brilliant Silver and got new tires apx. 7500 miles ago. They are worn evenly and look & ride great. I think the Cooper Touring tires are a nice compliment and the ride is far nicer than the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s that were on the "borrowed" wheels.

The seller of the wheels also does vinyl and graphics and had done the BBS red center cap logos currently on the car. He agreed to make Audi Ring logo center cap stickers for me. The red BBS pops nice on the wheels but I think I will like the more subdued Audi 4 Rings better.

New pictures posted www.sbfiles.com/audi4000

Stephen

Vehicles
      84 Jetta Coupe, 07 Impreza
      11-11-2011 10:39 AM #25
      Best of luck. I am in love with this car.

Vehicles
      03 A4 Avant, 86 5000 TQ
      11-15-2011 10:05 PM #26
      Steve let me know how the paint work goes. My 5KTQ is in need of some paint.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      11-16-2011 09:13 AM #27
      I have crested a 1000 miles since the restore and I changed the oil for Genevieve's winter storage.

The paint project has stalled. I have been swamped at work and my motivation is down a little. I think I have shifted my thought process a little. Instead of painting the valence, I think I am going to clean and touch it up with some rust inhibitor. I think I have decided I would like to find a small bumper Pre-85 Coupe GT or 4000 sedan front spoiler. I can get it painted with no dis-assembly to the car, it will cover the blemish as well as I think it would finish the nose of the car off better.

If you know of a 4000 front spoiler available, drop me a line.

I also have update on a problem and fix. I was having some harder starting when the car was cold. I thought through my memory bank on how the CIS worked and remembered the cold start valve (called the fifth injector on 4cylinder cars and the sixth injector on 5cylinders) along with the thermo time switch. This all came to me as I was cranking and after 5 seconds of starter crank I could hear a relay start pulsing and the car would start. This took me back to my 77 Scirocco and the hot start problems I fought there. Back then there was a circuit you could add that was a relay that would pulse the fifth injector if the starter cranked more than 5 seconds. On later cars, this circuit came standard. It is taking me longer to type it out than the thought process did but I figured out the sixth injector wasn't firing when cold and that I must have a thermo time switch problem. I went to the engine bay, found the thermo time switch and there it was, big as day, not even plugged in. I found the plug hanging next to it and I figure it hasn't been plugged in for a very long time, possibly since the car was new. I cleaned the contacts up a little, put some dielectric grease on them and plugged it in. Voila! Starts on a dime when cold!

I have a couple of little things left to chase and I am ordering parts. Those include a front seat guide clip because the driver's seat rocks a little, an O-ring for the idle screw because it is dry rotted and affecting idle slightly and lastly a new oil cap. When I did an engine bay cleaning for the first time, I found that gunk engine cleaner dissolved the silver engine paint on the oil cap but luckily did not affect the black engine paint on the valve cover or brake booster. Not sure what happened since they were both the same brand and type of high temp ceramic engine paint, go figure... I also have some seepage back at the gasket for the water inlet into the head from the top radiator hose. I used a new paper gasket with Permatex and tightened to the torque specs in the Bentley Manual but no joy. I was careful to clean and prep the mating surfaces too. I think I will either retry with a new gasket and a skim of RTV for seek making a custom gasket out of rubber. I will likely chase that seepage when I do the water pump and timing belt. All in all it gives me a couple of small things to do over the winter.

That is all I have for an update currently. Likely won't have more until spring.

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement, the help and tech tips and for following my progress.

Stephen
      Last edited by sgjii; 11-16-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Vehicles
      B5.5 Passat V6 TDI & Bora 150 TDI
      11-17-2011 02:45 PM #28
      Love it - great find

29. Member
      Vehicles
      02-07-2012 12:20 PM #29
      I was working on car projects this weekend and had a couple of little parts for the Audi.

I had trouble with the passenger door shutting properly and found that the door pin was missing its plastic collar. I found an inexpensive set on eBay from MK1 Originals. They didn't list a fitment for the 4000 but I took a leap of faith based on time period and photos. They fit and function great.

I also had a cracked trunk lock seal. It had dried out, cracked and shrunk. Again I could not find official fitment but it is the same style lock as the MKII Scirocco. I again ordered on faith, this time from MK1 Autohaus and Eureka, it fit perfect!

I also spoke with my body shop contact and I think I am going to add a Coupe GT front spoiler and a 4000Q trunk spoiler. I also want to address the surface rust around the rust proofing plugs in the door sills.

I still need to address the timing belt and water pump, just based on age. If anybody has and is willing to loan me the crank pulley holding tool it would be much appreciated.

Of course, some new photos

www.sbfiles.com/audi4000

Stephen
      My 1981 Scirocco S w/2.0 16V Page http://www.sbfiles.com/81scirocco
      My 1980 Automatic Scirocco Build/Restoration Page http://www.sbfiles.com/80scirocco
      My 1980 Audi 4000 Restoration Page http://www.sbfiles.com/audi4000

Vehicles
      02-07-2012 12:32 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by sgjii View Post
      I think I am going to add a Coupe GT front spoiler and a 4000Q trunk spoiler.
      Best of luck with everything; nice to see this car has a caring owner.
      But please, please don't do the trunk spoiler.

I know it's your car and all, but I get annoyed when someone takes a nice trunklid and puts on a spoiler, even if it could be OEM.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      02-07-2012 05:41 PM #31
      I appreciate the input.

I have the rear spoiler and was going to mock it up prior to final decision. I was debating if the 4dr Quattro spoiler would look right or too gaudy. My biggest love for the spoiler was that it was OEM.

I have also considered a very small lip edge spoiler. It would be aftermarket but I would have it painted to match. I installed one on my Mercedes SLK and really liked how it set off the tail end.

Overall, I think the blank trunk looks wrong or unfinished. No matter what I do it will be 3M tape and no drilling.

Stephen
      My 1980 Automatic Scirocco Build/Restoration Page http://www.sbfiles.com/80scirocco

32. 02-07-2012 09:35 PM #32
      Stephen,

I wholeheartedly agree on not doing the trunklid spoiler. The car is what it is, and it looks great!

On the other hand, if you REALLY want to do the trunklid spoiler, find a good trunklid from a 1984 4000S Quattro which would be the only year of the old style decklid with the spoiler. Have the donor painted (inside and out) to match your car. A GOOD shop can get an exact match.

That way you still have the original to go back to if you or whoever owns the car in the future desires.

Those spoilers do inevitably get cracks in the paint. You can use a flex agent when it is painted, but it seems to be just a matter of time.

I "did up" a 1982 4000S years ago with the trunklid spoiler, chin spoiler, and the under-bumper rear valance from a 1984 4000S Quattro (only year for that piece, too). It looked good, but it was not nearly as clean or original as your car (I'll insert a pic, although the under-bumper valance was not installed yet, I guess).

Like previous posters have said, it's your car, but it is so clean and original that it seems to deserve to stay that way.

Vehicles
      02-07-2012 10:57 PM #33
      I think it's super classy without the spoiler.

To me, spoilers are a vestige of the craptastic 90's, when even Oldsmobile and Mercury made them options.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      02-08-2012 05:59 PM #34
      What started me down the spoiler road in the first place was the front. The metal valence below the bumper has damaged from being run up and into a concrete parking lot stop. The cracked and damaged paint rusted and flaked significantly with setting all those years. My thought was to clean the rust, seal the damage to prevent further decay and cover it with a factory front spoiler painted to match.

I do not have a ton of money invested in the OEM front and rear spoilers and could likely resell them and be whole. The only mods to the car thus far are the Nardi steering wheel, 15in BBS wheels and the upgrade to vented front rotors instead of solids. None of these upgrades are such that they can't be undone and I saved all the original parts.

My plans include the addition of Bosch fog lights and a factory Fog Switch, the front spoiler, possibly the rear spoiler and a decent sounding stereo head unit with factory speaker locations. I will likely have to replace the speakers because of rotten paper speaker cones. The headunit is already picked and is a Kenwood with CD, Bluetooth, iPod interface and XM Radio. Again I will save the factory piece and NOT cut the wire harness. I don't own "garage queens" and I like to drive them so some creature comforts are a must.

Stephen

Vehicles
      03 A4 Avant, 86 5000 TQ
      02-17-2012 06:24 PM #35
      I will call you about Saturday lunch and to look at the wheels for my B6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast