Thread: 5x8 bathroom remodel: looking for feedback

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      04-18-2012 02:33 PM #71
      I now have a floor...

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 05:29 PM #72
      Even with my good Olympus micro 4:3 camera, it's tough to take photos with only the glass block window as the light source.

The plumber is almost done. The sink drain is incompatible with the drain lever on the fixture (both Kohler, go figure) and I'm held up waiting for a part.

The shallow closet. It's getting a 3rd hinge and the magnetic latch hasn't been installed yet.

I tried to show the three recessed lights shining down into the shower.

Vehicles
      1966 Beetle, 1989 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2011 JSW
      04-23-2012 08:58 PM #73
      I love the look!

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      04-23-2012 10:54 PM #74
      Looks great Geoff.
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 12:17 PM #75
      And in other news, the guest bedroom is put back together.

Turns out the small lingerie bureau did still fit in the corner

New wool carpet.

New pocket door

6. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      04-28-2012 01:17 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      And in other news, the guest bedroom is put back together.

Turns out the small lingerie bureau did still fit in the corner

Thank God you have some place for your lingerie!

Vehicles
      Scirocco C30 Stingray
      04-29-2012 08:07 PM #77
      Excellent work.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      05-01-2012 08:52 AM #78
      Looks nice Geoff. Can I ask why you went w/ a center-hinged french door instead of a slider, since space in that room seems to be at a premium?
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 11:50 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      Looks nice Geoff. Can I ask why you went w/ a center-hinged french door instead of a slider, since space in that room seems to be at a premium?
      The previous owner replaced all the windows and that French door.

My guest bedroom is the access to the back deck. I prefer having a hinged door to a slider on a door that gets opened & closed frequently.

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 04:24 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by mark500 View Post
      Great work budy!! I like the wool carpet and the work you have done in bathroom, but what disappoint me is the flooring of bathroom. Don't you think that these tiles are smaller and the bathroom is a high traffic area. So, it takes huge time to wash the floor.
      It's a 5' x 5' floor with zero obstructions. How long could it possibly take to wash it?

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 10:14 PM #81
      The previous owner replaced all the windows and that French door.

My guest bedroom is the access to the back deck. I prefer having a hinged door to a slider on a door that gets opened & closed frequently.

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 04:13 PM #82
      I now have a functional bathroom.

I have a temporary shower curtain until the glass shower enclosure goes in.

You can also see the skylight isn't installed.

Medicine cabinet with electrical outlets inside

The vaulted ceiling

The shroud under the wall-hung sink

Shallow bathroom closet

Vehicles
      2 57 Bel Airs 65 Corvair 66 SS396 68 Dart 73 Vette 86 Golf 97 GTI 99/04 Neons & a truck
      05-04-2012 04:54 PM #83
      That bathroom is totally awesome Love the glass block!!!

Vehicles
      05-05-2012 07:34 AM #84
      That came out great!

Vehicles
      05-06-2012 10:38 AM #85
      Everything just ties together so well. The minimalist design, the style of the wall sconces and fixtures, the glass block, the white subway tile w/ the black base, etc. I really like the medicine cabinet w/ the mirror inside and out. The outlet inside the cabinet is slick, but I was curious as to why, since there's already and outlet and switch above the sink. I also like the push-catch on the closet door to keep things from sticking out into the space.

One thing I did notice though, although not right away, is that there are no towel hooks/bars.

Vehicles
      05-06-2012 02:03 PM #86
      Everything just ties together so well. The minimalist design, the style of the wall sconces and fixtures, the glass block, the white subway tile w/ the black base, etc. I really like the medicine cabinet w/ the mirror inside and out. The outlet inside the cabinet is slick, but I was curious as to why, since there's already and outlet and switch above the sink. I also like the push-catch on the closet door to keep things from sticking out into the space.

One thing I did notice though, although not right away, is that there are no towel hooks/bars.
      The outlet inside the medicine cabinet is for an electric toothbrush. My dentist switched me over to one of those a few years ago. I wanted it inside the medicine cabinet recharging. The outlet on the wall is primarily for a hair dryer.

Good catch on towel racks/hooks since I don't have any yet. I have a towel ring going between the sink and toilet for a hand towel. The glass shower enclosure will have my main towel rack on the fixed glass part next to the sink. There is also a bathrobe/towel hook on the glass shower enclosure. I wanted to wait until the shower enclosure is installed and live with it for a few weeks before deciding on any other towel racks or hooks. I hate bumping into them when I'm stumbling around at night.

Vehicles
      05-06-2012 02:14 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      Soo European

That wall mounted toilet screams Euro opulence
      Actually, Toto is a Japanese toilet. I opted out of the bidet gadgets, though.

18. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      05-06-2012 02:51 PM #88
      Which explains why the tank is inset into the wall. Japanese houses and bathrooms don't have the space for a North American style home toilet.

Vehicles
      05-06-2012 11:19 PM #89
      Toto

Love mine.

Good plan about the towel racks/hooks. Very smart w/ the toothbrush charger.

Vehicles
      05-07-2012 01:39 PM #90
      Good plan about the towel racks/hooks. Very smart w/ the toothbrush charger.
      I don't know about "very smart". Try finding medicine cabinets that have electric outlets in them. The only ones that do are very expensive. The Robern I picked was an astounding $716 at the local plumbing supply house. On Amazon, it was $478 but still 4x more than a Home Depot medicine cabinet.

Pretty much every decision I made had the same big hit on cost.

05-07-2012 02:25 PM #91
      Looks great...but I gotta ask - is there an HVAC thermostat in your bathroom, or is that for a floor-heating system or something? 1st picture in the post above.

22. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      05-07-2012 02:40 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      Looks great...but I gotta ask - is there an HVAC thermostat in your bathroom, or is that for a floor-heating system or something? 1st picture in the post above.
      In Floor heating. That was shown in earlier photos.

I now have forced hot water radiant heat in my bathroom floor. The HVAC guy put the extra circulator on my boiler and ran a PEX loop to the bathroom.

I need the Grohe shower valves to show up so the plumber can rough everything in.

23. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 GTI and '03 Passat Wagon
      05-08-2012 11:52 PM #93
      Really love the look of the house, inside and out! Very clean and bright, yet still cozy looking.

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 12:56 AM #94

Pretty much every decision I made had the same big hit on cost.

Toto toilet, Grohe faucets, etc., etc.

I'm a firm believer in doing it right though.

I think I would have figured out how to wire a clock socket into a standard medicine cabinet before I paid that much for one just because it had an outlet in it.

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 07:09 PM #95
      Toto toilet, Grohe faucets, etc., etc.

I'm a firm believer in doing it right though.

I think I would have figured out how to wire a clock socket into a standard medicine cabinet before I paid that much for one just because it had an outlet in it.
      Yeah, but I looked at that Robern cabinet in the plumbing supply house right after seeing what Lowes and Home Cheapo had on display. It's a totally different quality level. After all the other decisions I'd made, it was pretty easy to upsell myself a few hundred bucks.

If I were ever planning to sell this place, I'd be insane for putting a bathroom appropriate to a McMansion in a 980 square foot summer cottage. Whoever buys it out of my estate is going to get a heck of a good deal. In the mean time, I get to use a bathroom that is set up exactly the way I want it.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      07 baggedwagon, now 12 GLI
      05-11-2012 07:44 AM #96
      Turned out great. Love the look
      well done sir!

05-11-2012 08:35 AM #97
      Yeah, but I looked at that Robern cabinet in the plumbing supply house right after seeing what Lowes and Home Cheapo had on display. It's a totally different quality level. After all the other decisions I'd made, it was pretty easy to upsell myself a few hundred bucks.

If I were ever planning to sell this place, I'd be insane for putting a bathroom appropriate to a McMansion in a 980 square foot summer cottage. Whoever buys it out of my estate is going to get a heck of a good deal. In the mean time, I get to use a bathroom that is set up exactly the way I want it.
      That's the point.

I "wasted" a bunch in bathrooms and flooring that was completely inappropriate from a value standpoint in my first townhouse...but I enjoyed it all for a year or more before I moved. Technically I made it all back in the sale(and especially how quick it sold)...but I could have done better if I went for more reasonably priced products.

edit: Oh, and you don't see totos in McMs...

Vehicles
      05-13-2012 10:19 AM #98

That's a good point Geoff. A quality medicine cabinet from a good cabinet company, is going to be a few hundred dollars anyway. So probably not that much more w/ the inside mirror and outlet. The stuff from HD and Lowe's is CRAP!

I hung a kitchen in a small cape cod a couple of weeks ago. Some cabinets from China that were assembled here. Absolute GARBAGE! I told the homeowner as much, and told them that I couldn't guarantee the installation, as I had no confidence in the wall cabinets to not come apart and fall off the wall, once they were loaded w/ dishes,etc.

That's the point.

I "wasted" a bunch in bathrooms and flooring that was completely inappropriate from a value standpoint in my first townhouse...but I enjoyed it all for a year or more before I moved. Technically I made it all back in the sale(and especially how quick it sold)...but I could have done better if I went for more reasonably priced products.

edit: Oh, and you don't see totos in McMs...
      And there it is, you have what you want! That's really the most important thing. And Tornado is right, you don't see Toto toilets in McMansions. I worked on a project w/ 3 dozen of them, 5000 - 5500 sq. ft. $1.2M - $1.4M price, and they all had Kohler Cadet toilets (not to mention hollow-core, textured interior doors).

Vehicles
      05-31-2012 04:21 PM #99
      A month late but the glass shower door finally showed up. Just the skylight (and replacing that section of roof) remains.

30. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      05-31-2012 04:35 PM #100
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^

You got the car wash effect going on there with nozzles on two different sides and a hand nozzle to clean the wheels? You need to install a rotating brush.

Vehicles
      06-01-2012 07:53 AM #101
      Looks great Geoff!

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      06-01-2012 07:49 PM #102
      I like the contrasting colors on the vaulted roof. Looks good.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123