Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: The General is bragging about its new airbag

1. Member
      09-30-2011 12:58 PM #1
      What makes this http://www.freep.com/article/2011093...xt|FRONTPAGE|swhole thing even crazier is it wasn't too long ago automakers were doing anything they could to keep costs down & claimed that seatbelts offered the best protection you can get in a crash (I can still believe that one). None the less now that economies of scale have most probably lowered the costs of airbags they're putting them anywhere they can. At least this still looks more sensible than Honda's motorcycle airbag.

2. Banned
      Outside the Circuit of the Americas; Austin,TX
      Vehicles
      2011 F-250, 2006 Matrix, 2005 Focus, 1994 Golf(Track toy)
      09-30-2011 01:03 PM #2

Vehicles
      2009 MINI Cooper JCW
      09-30-2011 01:07 PM #3
      That image reminds me of

4. 09-30-2011 01:11 PM #4
      i don't see how that motorcycle airbag will save the rider when he/she is flying head-first into a tree

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      09-30-2011 01:11 PM #5
      What is the issue here?

Are you opposed to airbags, GM, or all of the above?

6. Member
      09-30-2011 01:25 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      What is the issue here?

Are you opposed to airbags, GM, or all of the above?
      No, as I explained above it wasn't too long ago how many automakers tried to avoid installing airbags in their cars to cut costs + their philosophy was safety belts are all you need for protection. Whereas now I find it ironic how many airbags they're installing in some of their rides now.

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      09-30-2011 01:33 PM #7
      All occupants of a vehicle should have to wear an airbag suit that communicates with the car's computer.
      PSN: gospracrgo

Vehicles
      2010 Golf GTI
      09-30-2011 01:39 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaBoyJettaGirl View Post
      No, as I explained above it wasn't too long ago how many automakers tried to avoid installing airbags in their cars to cut costs + their philosophy was safety belts are all you need for protection. Whereas now I find it ironic how many airbags they're installing in some of their rides now.
      Carmakers don't like safety features when they are mandated by the government because when everyone has the same safety device it no longer becomes a unique feature they can market. It just becomes and added expense. However, they are happy to promote a new safety technology when they believe they have a jump on the market and can use it to sell cars. It's about marketing more than safety.

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      09-30-2011 01:40 PM #9
      10 airbags in a $13,700 Sonic

That center airbag is a decent idea. I'm not opposed to more airbags as long as they also come down in cost.
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

Vehicles
      More than you can afford pal. Ferrari.
      09-30-2011 01:48 PM #10
      Moar air bags!
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'13 | 0311 | 0331| 0933 | '14- Soldier of Fortune
      Wagon Aficionado | Brodozer Brocionado | BMW Motorrad
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Wagon GTG SoWo '14

Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      09-30-2011 01:58 PM #11
      Air bags to proect passengers from hitting eachother sounds like a good idea.

Next automakers need to build popup plastic lids over cupholders to protect you from scalding hot liquids.
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

Vehicles
      disco, new wave, rave era german iron...and a Japanese V8 with a tailgate
      09-30-2011 02:11 PM #12
      what is the deal...with all these airbags???
      Quote Originally Posted by spoon! View Post
      I'll go if Paul goes.
      Rod Blagojevich - Team My Little Pony

Vehicles
      Too Many
      09-30-2011 02:16 PM #13
      I am beginning to think that the foam-filling cars from Demolition Man will soon become a reality.......

(I will take the 442 with lap belts)
      Matt K

Motorcade of Mediocrity!

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      09-30-2011 02:59 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by a1veedubber View Post
      I am beginning to think that the foam-filling cars from Demolition Man will soon become a reality.......

(I will take the 442 with lap belts)
      Thinking the exact same thing

that and the side airbag looks like a Scream mask to me...

15. 09-30-2011 03:17 PM #15
      Some creatures are declining built-in airbags because that are providing their own

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      09-30-2011 10:27 PM #16
      My wife's best friend's older brother died as a child when the car they were in was T-boned. Her brother's head hit his friend's head and they both died because of the cranial injuries.

Personally I can do without airbags (as a trade off for other things), but that is just me. And yes I would be at greater risk for sure.

Somebody was bound to do it. If it isn't airbag here and there it'll be cameras and sensors and all manner of other features.

17. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-30-2011 10:32 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      Carmakers don't like safety features when they are mandated by the government because when everyone has the same safety device it no longer becomes a unique feature they can market. It just becomes and added expense. However, they are happy to promote a new safety technology when they believe they have a jump on the market and can use it to sell cars. It's about marketing more than safety.
      Obviously, the price for implementing airbags has dropped exponentially.
      That, and buyers now want airbags and are willing to pay (a small premium) for them.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      Honda Element; a boring beige Toyota
      09-30-2011 10:43 PM #18
      Does anyone know which vehicle currently on sale has the most airbags?

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      09-30-2011 10:43 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho View Post
      My wife's best friend's older brother died as a child when the car they were in was T-boned. Her brother's head hit his friend's head and they both died because of the cranial injuries.
      Yep, about a decade ago there was a similar accident locally. A friend's dad was a responding officer on the scene. An IS300 lost control on a curve and smacked something. The driver and passenger hit heads and both died of cranial injuries.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

20. 09-30-2011 11:06 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by morecarsthanbrains View Post
      Thinking the exact same thing

that and the side airbag looks like a Scream mask to me...
      what's to keep the foam from getting in your nose and mouth orifices and strangling you?
      Quote Originally Posted by slikaznricer View Post
      Dude, its the internet. Everyone trolls everyone. if you get butthurt, go buy some preparation H or troll back.

21. 09-30-2011 11:10 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by curvedinfinity View Post
      10 airbags in a $13,700 Sonic

That center airbag is a decent idea. I'm not opposed to more airbags as long as they also come down in cost.
      And, unfortunately, if 2 of them deploy in a relatively minor accident, its probably a total loss.

Vehicles
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      09-30-2011 11:11 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by DrFrisker View Post
      what's to keep the foam from getting in your nose and mouth orifices and strangling you?
      Silly boy... it's not in the script...

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      09-30-2011 11:11 PM #23
      ACDelco SmartFoam™
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE
      10-01-2011 12:34 AM #24
      as ridiculous as this may look, in the super dangerous T crash - in which a motorcycle has a car turn left in front of it - it is hugely effective. when a motorcyclist t-bones a car, the rider flies forward and usually contacts the a, b, or c pillar or worse, the roofline. this is usually fatal as the cyclist will suffer massive head trauma or spinal trauma. the wedge shaped airbag pushes the rider upwards, vertically, away from the hard metal of a car.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

25. Member
      10-01-2011 09:09 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      as ridiculous as this may look, in the super dangerous T crash - in which a motorcycle has a car turn left in front of it - it is hugely effective. when a motorcyclist t-bones a car, the rider flies forward and usually contacts the a, b, or c pillar or worse, the roofline. this is usually fatal as the cyclist will suffer massive head trauma or spinal trauma. the wedge shaped airbag pushes the rider upwards, vertically, away from the hard metal of a car.
      That exact crash happened to me on my motorcycle. I was going through an intersection when a Honda Prelude decided it could make a quick left and beat all oncoming traffic right when the light turned green (I'm sure you've seen that before). Well she didn't see my bike coming towards the intersection and took me by surprise when she made that quick left in front of me. I banged into the Prelude's rear quarter panel while slamming on my brakes. I guess I hit the car at 15 MPH. My left leg was hurt after the crash. I walked around with crutches for about a week and my leg slowly repaired itself. I do remember my head hitting my bike's windshield when I hit the Prelude or Qualude as I've always called them I did have my helmet on though, and no damage was done.

Vehicles
      3 Hatch, DRZ440SM
      10-01-2011 09:22 PM #26
      Also, keeps the rider from smashing through the front fairing and controls of that 'wing. ;-)

Vehicles
      06 Stage 2 GTI, 82 Stage 3 G60 Rabbit, 85 F-250
      10-01-2011 11:26 PM #27
      Quoted for truth. Cost my Dad the ability to ever walk again. Ironically he was on a Goldwing, but it didn't have that air bag system
      Team Reaper of the BABE 2012 road rally proudly supports Susan G. Komen for the cure in memory of my Mother, who lost her fight with breast cancer in 2003
      Please go to our team donation page to make a donation to help end breast cancer forever!

Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337 - 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      10-01-2011 11:33 PM #28
      I thought it was an emergency cotton candy dispenser in case of low blood-sugar.

10-02-2011 02:30 AM #29
      Tentacle hentai is soon to be replaced by airbag hentai.
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green
      The real world is more ruthless than TCL, and sensitivity was never one of Darwin's strong points.

Philly (now) <--> Bangkok 5555555 (later)
      Vehicles
      2000 Honda CRV SE / 2013 Toyota Yaris / 2007 Kawasaki Ninja (DOA), 2005 Team Associated RC18t
      10-02-2011 02:45 AM #30
      Really? I t-boned a car going about 40 or so and supermaned over the car and landed on the road beyond the car. Guess its because I weigh less then 150lbs might have something to do with it...
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carolla
      "It shouldn't be called a radar detector, it should be called a rape detector. This is my own little electronic rape whistle."
      (ง'̀-'́)ง

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike
      10-02-2011 04:09 AM #31
      I think I know the guy who is responsible for this. He's a retiree from the NASCAR safety group at GM, who invented the center net. It's reduced injuries for quite a few racers.

That 'wing pic always cracks me up, but I know the bag is effective.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

32. 10-02-2011 04:35 AM #32

From the passenger seat - wouldn't it look like this?

Vehicles
      Jetta GLI; Acura RDX
      10-02-2011 08:53 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post

From the passenger seat - wouldn't it look like this?

You just made me wake up my wife.
      -Says the VW owner

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      10-02-2011 09:01 AM #34
      Hollywood?

Glad to see Im not the only one to point out that is looks like a Scream mask to me. We should all just wear high vis vests and helmets when we get into the car.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      10-02-2011 09:34 AM #35
      What happened to the good ole' days when cars were designed for you to slide your entire body under the protective dashboard of the car in the event of a car accident. All these damn airbags now