Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: This is the god damn SUCCESS thread.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      03-03-2012 09:08 PM #351
      Woke up hungover as f. Not success.
      Picked up my car at the body shop. Success.
      Got an oil change and car cleaned. Success.
      Sunset highway cruise home, windows down. Success.
      Went to the gym and set a personal record. Success.
      Dumping at present. It's gonna be success.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

2. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      03-04-2012 06:41 AM #352
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      Daughter # 2 made a grand entrance, today.
      Congrats Tornado! Awesome!

Vehicles
      2013 Focus - turbo edition
      03-04-2012 09:56 AM #353
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      Congrats Tornado! Awesome!
      x2, pics of entrance?
      Quote Originally Posted by feliks View Post
      I do not want to think what would have happened, if as a result of the vibrations, the resulting leaks in the fuel pool and the water came out of it ... Almost as a result of radiation inside the building and its three filling remains, you can not to re-seal it. ..

Therefore, even mild disturbances such methods may be used: diamond cut rope ..

03-04-2012 10:05 AM #354
      Quote Originally Posted by sjt1985 View Post
      x2, pics of entrance?
      I thank that would be not safe for work, or my continued life upon this planet.

Vehicles
      03-04-2012 11:00 AM #355
      I thank that would be not safe for work, or my continued life upon this planet.
      Ok PM me then.
      I do not want to think what would have happened, if as a result of the vibrations, the resulting leaks in the fuel pool and the water came out of it ... Almost as a result of radiation inside the building and its three filling remains, you can not to re-seal it. ..

Vehicles
      89 Helios GLI, 01 XJ 4.0, 99 Forester Syncro, 87 Honda TRX250, 82 Honda UrbEx, 78 Garelli RallySport
      03-04-2012 07:09 PM #356
      I just successfully installed an outlet in my basement after figuring out which line to tap into without the new freezer tripping the circuit. Our house is old and turning on a light while the microwave is running can trip a circuit, so I am pretty happy.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksSenseOfRejection
      Here's a fun fact: if someone is hitting you with a metal pipe, stay down.

03-04-2012 07:14 PM #357
      Quote Originally Posted by VegasJetta View Post
      I just successfully installed an outlet in my basement after figuring out which line to tap into without the new freezer tripping the circuit. Our house is old and turning on a light while the microwave is running can trip a circuit, so I am pretty happy.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

8. 03-04-2012 07:25 PM #358
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Space holder until the inevitable "My freezer burnt my house down" in the rant thread?

03-04-2012 07:31 PM #359
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Space holder until the inevitable "My freezer burnt my house down" in the rant thread?
      You must be prescient.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

10. Geriatric Member VegasJetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      89 Helios GLI, 01 XJ 4.0, 99 Forester Syncro, 87 Honda TRX250, 82 Honda UrbEx, 78 Garelli RallySport
      03-04-2012 07:39 PM #360
      Oh ye of little faith...
      The circuit only powers the basement fluorescent lights and the new freezer. The guy at Home Depot said what I am doing is perfectly fine. Any ideas how to accomplish this otherwise?

03-04-2012 07:53 PM #361
      As long as you're asking, a new circuit is in order. It's highly doubtful that the basement light is on a circuit of it's own. Typically, production wiring in a house will extend to basement lights as the end of a run, not a dedicated circuit. A little more research is in order to see what else is on that circuit.

Sorry for the derail, but your post made me cringe. Listening to the guy at HD is not like it used to be when they first opened. I'm just sayin'.

However, I'm just some guy on the internet, why should you believe me?
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      03-04-2012 07:58 PM #362
      Got a nail in my tire... Fixed it my damn self since its Sunday and everything is closed. And it's holding air!

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      03-04-2012 08:01 PM #363
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      Got a nail in my tire... Fixed it my damn self since its Sunday and everything is closed. And it's holding air!
      Got a nail myself...and i can say that VW's new widowmakers are even worse than their old ones

14. Geriatric Member VegasJetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-04-2012 08:53 PM #364
      As long as you're asking, a new circuit is in order. It's highly doubtful that the basement light is on a circuit of it's own. Typically, production wiring in a house will extend to basement lights as the end of a run, not a dedicated circuit. A little more research is in order to see what else is on that circuit.

Sorry for the derail, but your post made me cringe. Listening to the guy at HD is not like it used to be when they first opened. I'm just sayin'.

I know what you're saying, Barry. The guy at Home Depot was an electrician for 20 years, apparently.
      Anyway, the only way I could test to see if this circuit was in fact just the lights, was to turn on everything, and flip breakers until we know which one did what. These lights and outlet were the ONLY thing on that breaker, whereas the master bedroom outer wall, kitchen, and garage were all on another, and a mess of other things with the other circuits. It's amazing that this house hasn't burnt down yet. If I owned it, I would have to rewire a TON of things.

As for the basement being at the end of a circuit, not in this house. It's more like, everything is tacked onto everything. The part of the basement under my sons room is tacked onto that room, but only parts of it.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
      03-04-2012 11:36 PM #365
      This guy has success:

http://youtu.be/1R8zp8WfqXg
      If I were a supermarket lobster, I wouldn't wish for anything less than nuclear Armageddon.

Vehicles
      03-07-2012 08:28 AM #366
      Paid off the remainder of my student loans. $28k paid off in <4 years. Tacking the rest of my wifes loans in a couple months, another $35k paid off. Feelsgoodman.jpg

Next up are some garage toys, then paying down the mortgage.

17. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      03-07-2012 08:31 AM #367
      Paid off the remainder of my student loans. $28k paid off in <4 years. Tacking the rest of my wifes loans in a couple months, another $35k paid off. Feelsgoodman.jpg

That's awesome.

Vehicles
      03-07-2012 08:39 AM #368
      That's awesome.
      Thanks man. It's a big weight off my shoulders. After the student loans, no debt except mortgage and 0% financed mazda3.

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      03-07-2012 09:00 AM #369

Congrats....i paid off 20k this time last year. Still have a lot left, but it felt good to get rid of the higher interest portion.

Vehicles
      2 57 Bel Airs 65 Corvair 66 SS396 68 Dart 73 Vette 86 Golf 97 GTI 99/04 Neons & a truck
      03-07-2012 09:16 AM #370
      I think I've figured out a way to engineer my vacations this April- Charlotte Auto Fair is the same week as my track days at Summit Point, but I think if we leave Charlotte on Friday, I can turn around and head back to West Virginia Saturday, and drive Sunday-Monday. That's a lot of ****ing driving! I was bummed about having to pick which trip to take- now I can enjoy BBQ (and hanging out with my husband) AND driving

Now I just have to figure out which car to drive...

21. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      03-09-2012 10:12 AM #371
      Last night: My son executed a single leg take down, quickly transitioned to a rear naked choke...tapout.
      Against a kid that has always shown to be better than him.

Starting to get my moneys worth.

03-09-2012 10:40 AM #372
      Last night: My son executed a single leg take down, quickly transitioned to a rear naked choke...tapout.
      Against a kid that has always shown to be better than him.

Starting to get my moneys worth.
      Were you the parent in the corner shouting "RIP HIS HEAD OOOOOOFF, RIP HIS ****ING HEAD OFFF!!!!!"

Wen't back to work today. Wifey seems to be doing okay at home with the little buggers. Her mom is coming into town tonight, I feel a nap coming my way this weekend.

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      03-09-2012 10:41 AM #373

Especially in a basement, where it's easy (assuming the box is down there) and doesn't have to be pretty. I install new circuits all the time (doing two more for outlets this weekend) because it's actually just easier.

24. 03-09-2012 10:53 AM #374
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Especially in a basement, where it's easy (assuming the box is down there) and doesn't have to be pretty. I install new circuits all the time (doing two more for outlets this weekend) because it's actually just easier.
      May well be have an open slot on the box or be able to use one of those dual circut breaker deals. I was trying to figure out how to wire my new dishwasher in when it occurred to me that I still had one unused breaker left. Took all of about 10 minutes to wire it up. I probably broke 14 codes doing it, but no matter what it is better than trying to tie it in to mystery wires of unknown load.
      Last edited by winstonsmith84; 03-09-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      03-09-2012 10:57 AM #375
      May well be have an open slot on the box or be able to use one of those dual circut breaker deals. I was trying to figure out how to wire my new dishwasher in when it occurred to me that I still had one unused breaker left. Took all of about 10 minutes to wire it up. I probably broke 14 codes doing it, but no matter what it is better than trying to tie it in to mystery wires of unknown load.
      Yup. By far the biggest PITA part is having to use conduit here in IL, instead of the flexy stuff.

26. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      03-09-2012 11:05 AM #376
      Were you the parent in the corner shouting "RIP HIS HEAD OOOOOOFF, RIP HIS ****ING HEAD OFFF!!!!!"
      I don't say a word to my kids when they are competing or being taught something.
      When they are in class or on the field, I'm a quiet observer.
      Unless it is me that is coaching them, for instance with my daughter in soccer, then I'm a vocal.

Wen't back to work today. Wifey seems to be doing okay at home with the little buggers. Her mom is coming into town tonight, I feel a nap coming my way this weekend.
      Amazing how important a nap is when you have a newborn!

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      03-09-2012 11:11 AM #377
      When I switched out my electric hot water heater for propane, I had an unused 20 (or was it 30?) amp breaker that I wired my dishwasher into. That's about as far as I'm willing to push my electrical knowledge.
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

28. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      03-12-2012 09:59 AM #378
      Successfully completed referee certification for soccer games through U15 in the State of Ohio.

29. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      03-12-2012 10:26 AM #379
      Old work computer:

MacBook Pro 2 GHz i7 with 4 GB RAM

New work computer:

Mac Pro with 2 x 2.4 GHz quad core Xeon Westmere and 8 GB RAM

The performance difference is astounding.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      '08 Taurus X, '12 GTI, '05 SV650
      03-12-2012 10:41 AM #380
      Not my success, but my son Brendan's...his basketball team (11 y/o) won their league championship in a tough field. His team was just 5-5 in the regular season, but went 3-0 in the playoffs. The team they beat in the finals was 9-1 in the reg season.

The bad news is that my son was actually sick and couldn't play in the semi-final and championship games, which were on the same day.

I went to the games to video them, and his teammates told me they were going to "win it for Brendan".

How awesome is that?

31. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      03-12-2012 10:45 AM #381
      Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
      Not my success, but my son Brendan's...his basketball team (11 y/o) won their league championship in a tough field. His team was just 5-5 in the regular season, but went 3-0 in the playoffs. The team they beat in the finals was 9-1 in the reg season.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      03-12-2012 10:49 AM #382
      Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post

The bad news is that my son was actually sick and couldn't play in the semi-final and championship games, which were on the same day.

I went to the games to video them, and his teammates told me they were going to "win it for Brendan".

How awesome is that?
      It's always about getting hot at the right time.

03-12-2012 10:55 AM #383
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      It's always about getting hot at the right time.

That other team is PISSED!

Vehicles
      99 Subaru Impreza OBS, 84 Chevy Monte Carlo
      03-12-2012 07:06 PM #384
      The motor swap that I have been doing at the tech school I go to started up and didn't seem horribly out of time. That damn thing has been driving me off the wall for a while.

And when I got home I decided to get the Monte Carlo's motor swap going finally, after 4 years of procrastinating. Threw on some wheels and decided f*** it, I'll see if it will start. After a bit of gas down the carb and some nudging on by my dad and I, we got it running, though I know now for sure that the valves are royally f***ed, push rods are tight and it spits out gas out of the top of the carb!

Soon....

Check out my neighbors ricey Civic
      Current Car: 99' Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
      Project Car: 84' Chevy Monte Carlo
      Past Cars: 84' Buick Regal, 87' Olds' Cutlass Supreme Brougham, 87' Monte Carlo SS, 91' Toyota Corolla

35. 03-12-2012 07:25 PM #385
      Quote Originally Posted by Ghost85 View Post
      After a bit of gas down the carb and some nudging on by my dad and I, we got it running, though I know now for sure that the valves are royally f***ed, push rods are tight and it spits out gas out of the top of the carb!
      3.8, 4.3 or 305?

Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast