Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new member and new to me 87 quantum wagon

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      10-01-2011 09:37 PM #1
      Hi everybody! Glad I found this forum, searching around for info on my new toy as I try and make it usable.

Just grabbed a pretty beat quantum wagon from a guy off craigslist. Don't know if he was a member or not, but apparently he was sitting on it for several years intending to fix it

Its an 87 Gl-5 with the 5-speed. The car has no rust, but it has suffered a little cosmetically, it has some damage to the left rear from a hit and run, and a little more damage on the front bumper, which looks pushed up, and finally a couple of door dents on either side. Left rear is pretty bad, I will post some pics tomorrow of the car when I finish grabbing it

Mechanically it seems to run just fine, it needs a muffler, an exhaust manifold or something to do with the exhaust up front, and there is a major problem with something on the right front, feels like the wheel is about to fall off.

I have several basic questions about this car-

First, how trustworthy is the GL-5 engine and this interesting quasi transaxle gearbox? are these engines and transmissions that generally last? It has about 130k on it.

second, I am buying this to replace my dying of rust 85 diesel jetta, and I was struck by the idea of moving the entire front end, transmission, drive axles, radiator, ect, over into this quantum eventually. Is this something thats been done on the forum? are there any threads where thats happened? The drivetrain from my jetta is extremely solid, and the engine bays look similar.

First I want to get it reliable rolling, but this idea is something id like to consider, as id like to keep my trusty 1.6.
      Last edited by tinworm; 12-15-2011 at 07:14 PM.

2. 10-02-2011 02:34 AM #2
      5 cylinder is fairly reliable, lucky you found a fwd 5spd wagon, they seem quite rare since it seems a lot of the fwd wagons are auto

there should be a lot of info in the syncronized yahoo group
      http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/syncronized/

Vehicles
      85 Quantum Wagon, 06 Honda Pilot, 91 Jetta Carat, 00 Passat 2.8
      10-03-2011 12:43 PM #3
      nice find adn welcome aboard. I am in the process of bringing a 85 wagon back to life and converting it to Manual from a dieing autotragic. The car is pretty much ready for the road now except the radiator and engine mounts. Its been a good learning experience with this swap and it will be a fun car to drive come next year.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      10-03-2011 04:44 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      5 cylinder is fairly reliable, lucky you found a fwd 5spd wagon, they seem quite rare since it seems a lot of the fwd wagons are auto

there should be a lot of info in the syncronized yahoo group
      http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/syncronized/
      Thanks for the link!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      10-03-2011 04:53 PM #5
      here are some pics of the wagon-

Here is the bad side-

Close up of the damage- Guy across the street tells me he can fix this nice nice for about 800 bucks if I want to spend that kind of money. Considering the level of damage, that might be a decent deal, he will have to do some major work to get the light to fit just right again

Here is whats going on with the front bumper, looks bent up on driver side, will have to see how bad this is too. Anyone have any bumpers for these cars they would like to sell? I definitely need a rear bumper, maybe a front

Interior is almost mint, only problem is the headliner around the sun roof, and a few plastic cracks in the trunk area. I love the 5 tape dispenser in the center console

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      10-03-2011 05:40 PM #6
      question, I have it up in the air, and the front end is completely tight, however, there is a drag/growl/vibration coming from the front right. So bad that it shakes the steering wheel, feels like that tire is about to fall off.

In my manual, its telling me these are press in bearings into the knuckle? could they be completely bad and not produce a loose tire?

Vehicles
      10-05-2011 04:30 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by tinworm View Post
      question, I have it up in the air, and the front end is completely tight, however, there is a drag/growl/vibration coming from the front right. So bad that it shakes the steering wheel, feels like that tire is about to fall off.

In my manual, its telling me these are press in bearings into the knuckle? could they be completely bad and not produce a loose tire?
      Well i will ask this question as it has happend to some Projekt German guys going to DIV. Wheel vibrating bad and so on.. Come to find out they only had one lug on the wheel and almost flew off on the interstate and well if they were smoking pot for the whole flipping trip (5hrs) they would have noticed it alot sooner..

Seriously though. i would check wheel bearings, axles bolts, and make sure your lugs are tight or arent missing.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      10-05-2011 06:03 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by bimrpwr View Post
      Well i will ask this question as it has happend to some Projekt German guys going to DIV. Wheel vibrating bad and so on.. Come to find out they only had one lug on the wheel and almost flew off on the interstate and well if they were smoking pot for the whole flipping trip (5hrs) they would have noticed it alot sooner..

Seriously though. i would check wheel bearings, axles bolts, and make sure your lugs are tight or arent missing.
      I hadn't pulled the hubcaps yet, so first thing I did after reading this was make sure. All there and tight, however, I did just find a smoking gun of sorts that might be the cause, or related to the cause. I will see after a test drive and after repairing the exhaust so I can try and hear locations better.

The rear mount for the transmission is only attached by one bolt, instead of three. The whole thing is pivoting on the bolt instead of resting on the motor mount, so I need to immediately fix this.

I had a close look for any location where the axle might have been touching the body because of this, but it doesn't look like it did. Ill see what if feels like after a test drive
      Last edited by tinworm; 10-05-2011 at 08:28 PM.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      10-05-2011 06:16 PM #9
      heres the mount and missing bolts. last one is just loose-

This might also be contributing, this exhaust bracket is trashed-

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      10-05-2011 08:25 PM #10
      ok, fixed the exhaust so I could actually hear this thing and put some bolts in that bracket.

Couple of rattles are gone from that bracket, and the front end is definitely a RF wheel bearing, goes away when you load the left, and gets super loud when you load the right. Strange there is no looseness to the wheel, sounds like it will fall off. maybe its just dried out

Where do you all order parts from? Im going to get some parts on order.

Also, the ride is pretty splashy over bumps, honestly, its worse than my unrestored 1974 MB.

Need some shocks too I guess, same question on ordering, is there any on line supplier that I should avoid, or that would be recommended?

Vehicles
      10-05-2011 08:40 PM #11
      cool that you figured the problem out. There are lots of different suppliers out there. I just use my neighbor for parts as he owns his own euro repair shop.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      10-05-2011 08:51 PM #12
      nice find adn welcome aboard. I am in the process of bringing a 85 wagon back to life and converting it to Manual from a dieing autotragic. The car is pretty much ready for the road now except the radiator and engine mounts. Its been a good learning experience with this swap and it will be a fun car to drive come next year.
      From bombing around the neighborhood even with a bad wheel bearing, your project is going to be a blast once its done!
      Could be that im so used to my slow and tired work van, that this 5-speed is just lots of fun just cause its a manual, but I can't wait to get this car up and running.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      10-05-2011 08:54 PM #13
      cool that you figured the problem out. There are lots of different suppliers out there. I just use my neighbor for parts as he owns his own euro repair shop.
      Just ordered the stuff from auto hauz. Parts are pretty cheap! Im surprised, I threw in some front brake rotors and pads as well so it will pass inspection hopefully

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      10-14-2011 01:46 PM #14
      got the parts in, question-

Looking at the procedure here, it looks like the only way to replace the wheel bearing is to pull the entire strut and hub assembly, and press it off using a bench press? Is this for real? You can't do it with a slide hammer?

Thats a pretty amazing amount of stuff that has to come off to simply replace the bearing, what a PITA, no wonder the PO sat on the car for years, would be a fortune to have this done at a shop

Ive got it broken down as far as being able to look at the bearing, its definitely loose, didn't expect that much extra work though. If I go that far I might as well replace the front shocks

Does the front spring/shock assembly come off just like a macpherson strut? or do you have to reduce it to components and compress the spring?
      Last edited by tinworm; 12-15-2011 at 07:16 PM.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      10-23-2011 03:08 PM #15
      new brakes, wheel bearing, and shes up and running! drove it around for the first time today, love the note of this 5cyl. Experiencing some brake drag, initially it was a sticking caliper slide, but ive taken care of that, and im thinking its more likely the brake hose is collapsing. During the insanity of the wheel bearing, i put some unnatural movement on the hose, and its original. The caliper slides easily, and the caliper piston goes in and out, but its dragging enough to heat up the rim pretty well.

Im thinking that the hose is delaminating on the inside and acting as a one way check valve possibly, not letting the fluid move back easily. We will see when I have the parts. Worst case scenario the wagon gets new calipers as well.

Have new hoses coming in the mail, and some tune up parts. Lent the car to a friend who is having clutch issues to drive for the week, he only drives about 2 miles to and from work. Brakes should be ok for a little bit until the parts are here

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      10-24-2011 05:36 PM #16
      so F-ed up on re bolting the strut to the shock tower, managed to cross thread it, but was also able to tighten it almost all the way down. lots of popping noises, has about 1/4 inch of travel.

Ordered new front shock inserts, strut bearing, bump stops and will just replace all that stuff since all the shocks are bad anyway.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      11-01-2011 06:38 PM #17
      so today received 4 new shocks to do something about the ride, a driver side outer CV boot to repair that rip, a bunch of other little parts. Also made arrangements to start the body work tomorrow. My neighbor across the street is going to take care of the damaged rear quarter, dented out driver rear door, and small rust issue on the driver door, as well as putting in my new door handle for that door also so I can actually lock this thing.

Pretty excited, should look pretty good after that, but I am striking out on bumpers. We are both looking, and I need front and rear.

In a total shocker to me, it passed state safety and emissions inspection!

Few little issues I need to start chasing down with the cold. I get heat out of the side vents on the dash, but the center vent blows nothing but cold air. Also I don't seem to be able to redirect to defrost, which is a major problem with winter on its way.
      Any ideas?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      11-09-2011 09:50 AM #18
      here she is right before paint-

This guy has managed to do an awesome job, by removing the brake light, he could get nearly 100% access to the back of the damaged panel, and meticulously rebuilt and tapped out the various dents/tears. He demonstrated that a fridge magnet will still stick to it and it has a minimum of body filler, so im pretty psyched to see it finished.

Got sprayed yesterday, so it should be ready end of the week. They had to cut the mangled rear bumper off, so im looking for a set of front and rear. I may slowly go around the whole car and repaint depending on how nice this looks compared to the original paint.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      11-09-2011 10:41 AM #19
      here it is painted. The body shop guy and I noticed some little issues with his rebuilt rear quarter, its still slightly off. Once I find a bumper, will make a world of difference probably.

Still extremely satisfied with the job, Ill touch up some scratches on the rest of the paint, and give it a wash and a wax to see how the new and old paint compares

20. Member
      Vehicles
      03 Eurovan, 87 Quantum, 73 Thing, 68 Double Cab
      11-09-2011 07:43 PM #20
      Looks much better!
      Getting my 87 QW ready for paint too!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      11-16-2011 10:07 AM #21
      heres some progress on the front end repair. Cross threading that top bolt was a real bone headed move. I had to drill out the top of the shock bolt all the way through the threads. Ill have to replace that nut, unless a new one comes with the new shocks (probably)

Took out both strut assemblies for the new shocks, driver side will now get the matching new rotor. Someone like me had already been in there and tore up the phillips head screw that holds the rotor to the hub. Drilled this out as well, and filed down the rest of the screw to make a little nub. I don't really need that screw, a nub will locate the rotor just fine

heres the blown CV joint, I figure I can reboot this right on the vehicle with the strut and hub removed. Fortunately, I think I caught this in time, no clicking or problems with it yet.

Vehicles
      85 Ur Quattro, 88 Fox Wagon (sold), 90 Golf, 83 Q Sedan TD, 88 QSW (soon tdi), 85 Q wgn, 03 A4 Avant
      11-24-2011 03:00 AM #22
      here it is painted. The body shop guy and I noticed some little issues with his rebuilt rear quarter, its still slightly off. Once I find a bumper, will make a world of difference probably.

Still extremely satisfied with the job, Ill touch up some scratches on the rest of the paint, and give it a wash and a wax to see how the new and old paint compares

WOW That's pretty impressive work. Did he end up charging you the full $800 for that work?

Vehicles
      1979 B1 Passat/Dasher - 1979 Golf - 1959 Beetle
      11-28-2011 07:56 PM #23
      What an amazing transformation! I hope you find the bumper for this lovely beastie.

Vehicles
      MkIV,VI Jetta:::'87 QStationW:::'08 TT
      11-28-2011 09:46 PM #24
      Great job w the q man, it would seem you and i have the same Q... Or the same as mine started out mine has gone through a transformation of sorts but you should know as it sit, your car is a beast. A wonderful reliable work horse! I paid barely nothing for mine and it has such a reliable car... Ridiculous!
      The Mexicans who assembled my Wolfsburg like German food... good enough for me!
      VW Mk2 Transmission Installation Specialty Tool = 25th Anniversary Foose Channel Locks
      Quote Originally Posted by Deezy View Post
      Don't be a vagina. Take it apart

Vehicles
      had: '92 urS4, 07 GTI, '92 16V B3 Wagon, '74 914 now: '86 QSW
      11-28-2011 10:07 PM #25
      I get heat out of the side vents on the dash, but the center vent blows nothing but cold air. Also I don't seem to be able to redirect to defrost, which is a major problem with winter on its way.
      Any ideas?
      Heat only comes out of the footwells, defroster and the side vents. No heat out of the center vent

Vehicles
      11-28-2011 10:30 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by applen View Post
      No heat out of the center vent
      but don't take my word for it:

27. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-01-2011 08:22 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by DubbinChris View Post
      WOW That's pretty impressive work. Did he end up charging you the full $800 for that work?
      Turned out to be about 890 in all, he also repaired rust on the driver front door, and a big dent on the driver rear door, and painted both doors, quarter, and part of the hatch (where he repaired a dent). I thought it ended up being pretty reasonable, he was not totally satisfied with how it turned out, but I decided its fine for now. he wants to find a quarter, cut it out, and completely replace the light mounting point. I may think about that down the line depending on how long I keep this car

28. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-01-2011 08:23 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by dasherinoz View Post
      What an amazing transformation! I hope you find the bumper for this lovely beastie.
      I am very close to getting my hands on a pair! hopefully ill know if they are mine in a week or so!

29. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-01-2011 08:26 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by TheWolfsburg View Post
      Great job w the q man, it would seem you and i have the same Q... Or the same as mine started out mine has gone through a transformation of sorts but you should know as it sit, your car is a beast. A wonderful reliable work horse! I paid barely nothing for mine and it has such a reliable car... Ridiculous!
      Im pretty amazed that its started every time so far too! Im waiting for a major mechanical failure, but its seems to run great. Need to complete the tune up and do something about a major power steering leak thats started suddenly. Also need an exhaust manifold, mine has a hairline crack in it, heats up and sounds great, but first start up sounds terrible.

Do you have a thread on yours?

30. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-01-2011 08:39 AM #30
      but don't take my word for it:
      Thanks for these pics! I must have some sort of problem with lever B re-directing to vents 1 and defrost. Nothing seems to make that work.

How does the redirecting work? is it cable operated, vacuum operated? ect?

Some progress on the front suspension, though I continue to have a stubborn brake drag on the passenger front which I haven't eliminated yet. Not sure what it could be at this point, unless my new caliper is improperly rebuilt (which is possible, I had to re do the external piston boot because of how poorly done it was, maybe the square cut gasket is twisted or something)

New shocks in the replace the originals- heres a few pics of the replacement cartridge vs the original setup.

cartridge installed in the original shock tube-

During reassembly, I sanded down, then rubbercoated everything. Couple thick coats of nice rubber will keep the corrosion levels down, paint was flaking off this entire unit-

Here is the passenger side after full re-installation, since I was taking everything apart, I figured what the hell, so for both sides, new strut bearings, shocks, rotors, pads, semi loaded calipers, rubber brake lines, and a new axle boot on this side-

I learned how to properly, or easily reinstall that strut nut up top. Its WAY easier if you hand thread it as much as you can loose up in the air, then connect everything and put the tire back on, then load the strut by putting it partially back on the ground, THEN tighten that nut. Easy as pie and almost impossible to cross thread that way.

Car is ALMOST ready to drive, but that damn brake drag is killing me, have to figure out what the problem is, maybe it goes back to the master?

I don't think its the new caliper, it was pretty hard to draw fluid down the brake line, could be a blockage further up in the system somewhere

31. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-06-2011 12:58 PM #31
      last weekend I found a suitable body for my 85 Jetta drivetrain to move into, and while I was there, I scored a nice looking set of rims from the guy. They came with 1.5 inch spacers, and he said stuck out way to far on a MK2. I figured they might work on the wider quantum-

Here are some pics-
      They actually almost seem to fit without spacers, so I will try them again. I think they don't look just right, I need them further in, and with a larger tires, but I love the 5 spokes. They are pretty corroded, so first need to be refinished, and no center caps either.

rims-

Mounted-

Vehicles
      85 Ur Quattro, 88 Fox Wagon (sold), 90 Golf, 83 Q Sedan TD, 88 QSW (soon tdi), 85 Q wgn, 03 A4 Avant
      12-06-2011 09:07 PM #32
      The new wheels look pretty good IMO. Great to see someone saving a Quantum.

I wish I could get that kind of body work done around here for that kind of money.

Vehicles
      12-07-2011 11:39 PM #33
      Im pretty amazed that its started every time so far too! Im waiting for a major mechanical failure, but its seems to run great. Need to complete the tune up and do something about a major power steering leak thats started suddenly. Also need an exhaust manifold, mine has a hairline crack in it, heats up and sounds great, but first start up sounds terrible.

Do you have a thread on yours?
      nah, no thread... i could email you some fun pics on the restoration and what it came out to now... I had fun with it. I think I have total in repairs, resto, and the car price itself, the same as you paid for that panel repair..lol.

And dont be amazed anymore...there will be no major mechanical malfuntion, and it will start everytime

Oddly enough, I had very similar front bumper damage, my passenger caliper did drag sometimes (worked itself out after lubing the piston a bit and driving it plenty), gonna need a bit of suspension resto soon too, expect im going a much lower route
      VW Mk2 Transmission Installation Specialty Tool = 25th Anniversary Foose Channel Locks

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 12:44 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by TheWolfsburg View Post
      gonna need a bit of suspension resto soon too, expect im going a much lower route
      pics and details of that... yes please!

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 08:35 PM #35
      pics and details of that... yes please!
      Oh heck... I dont wanna hijack tinworms thread here... Ill see if I can get up my motivation to make a thread and I will post the link up here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast