Quote Originally Posted by applen View Post
      No heat out of the center vent
      but don't take my word for it:

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-01-2011 08:22 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by DubbinChris View Post
      WOW That's pretty impressive work. Did he end up charging you the full $800 for that work?
      Turned out to be about 890 in all, he also repaired rust on the driver front door, and a big dent on the driver rear door, and painted both doors, quarter, and part of the hatch (where he repaired a dent). I thought it ended up being pretty reasonable, he was not totally satisfied with how it turned out, but I decided its fine for now. he wants to find a quarter, cut it out, and completely replace the light mounting point. I may think about that down the line depending on how long I keep this car

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-01-2011 08:23 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by dasherinoz View Post
      What an amazing transformation! I hope you find the bumper for this lovely beastie.
      I am very close to getting my hands on a pair! hopefully ill know if they are mine in a week or so!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-01-2011 08:26 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by TheWolfsburg View Post
      Great job w the q man, it would seem you and i have the same Q... Or the same as mine started out mine has gone through a transformation of sorts but you should know as it sit, your car is a beast. A wonderful reliable work horse! I paid barely nothing for mine and it has such a reliable car... Ridiculous!
      Im pretty amazed that its started every time so far too! Im waiting for a major mechanical failure, but its seems to run great. Need to complete the tune up and do something about a major power steering leak thats started suddenly. Also need an exhaust manifold, mine has a hairline crack in it, heats up and sounds great, but first start up sounds terrible.

Do you have a thread on yours?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-01-2011 08:39 AM #30
      but don't take my word for it:
      Thanks for these pics! I must have some sort of problem with lever B re-directing to vents 1 and defrost. Nothing seems to make that work.

How does the redirecting work? is it cable operated, vacuum operated? ect?

Some progress on the front suspension, though I continue to have a stubborn brake drag on the passenger front which I haven't eliminated yet. Not sure what it could be at this point, unless my new caliper is improperly rebuilt (which is possible, I had to re do the external piston boot because of how poorly done it was, maybe the square cut gasket is twisted or something)

New shocks in the replace the originals- heres a few pics of the replacement cartridge vs the original setup.

cartridge installed in the original shock tube-

During reassembly, I sanded down, then rubbercoated everything. Couple thick coats of nice rubber will keep the corrosion levels down, paint was flaking off this entire unit-

Here is the passenger side after full re-installation, since I was taking everything apart, I figured what the hell, so for both sides, new strut bearings, shocks, rotors, pads, semi loaded calipers, rubber brake lines, and a new axle boot on this side-

I learned how to properly, or easily reinstall that strut nut up top. Its WAY easier if you hand thread it as much as you can loose up in the air, then connect everything and put the tire back on, then load the strut by putting it partially back on the ground, THEN tighten that nut. Easy as pie and almost impossible to cross thread that way.

Car is ALMOST ready to drive, but that damn brake drag is killing me, have to figure out what the problem is, maybe it goes back to the master?

I don't think its the new caliper, it was pretty hard to draw fluid down the brake line, could be a blockage further up in the system somewhere

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-06-2011 12:58 PM #31
      last weekend I found a suitable body for my 85 Jetta drivetrain to move into, and while I was there, I scored a nice looking set of rims from the guy. They came with 1.5 inch spacers, and he said stuck out way to far on a MK2. I figured they might work on the wider quantum-

Here are some pics-
      They actually almost seem to fit without spacers, so I will try them again. I think they don't look just right, I need them further in, and with a larger tires, but I love the 5 spokes. They are pretty corroded, so first need to be refinished, and no center caps either.

rims-

Mounted-

Vehicles
      85 Ur Quattro, 88 Fox Wagon (sold), 90 Golf, 83 Q Sedan TD, 88 QSW (soon tdi), 85 Q wgn, 03 A4 Avant
      12-06-2011 09:07 PM #32
      The new wheels look pretty good IMO. Great to see someone saving a Quantum.

I wish I could get that kind of body work done around here for that kind of money.

Vehicles
      MkIV,VI Jetta:::'87 QStationW:::'08 TT
      12-07-2011 11:39 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by tinworm View Post
      Im pretty amazed that its started every time so far too! Im waiting for a major mechanical failure, but its seems to run great. Need to complete the tune up and do something about a major power steering leak thats started suddenly. Also need an exhaust manifold, mine has a hairline crack in it, heats up and sounds great, but first start up sounds terrible.

Do you have a thread on yours?
      nah, no thread... i could email you some fun pics on the restoration and what it came out to now... I had fun with it. I think I have total in repairs, resto, and the car price itself, the same as you paid for that panel repair..lol.

And dont be amazed anymore...there will be no major mechanical malfuntion, and it will start everytime

Oddly enough, I had very similar front bumper damage, my passenger caliper did drag sometimes (worked itself out after lubing the piston a bit and driving it plenty), gonna need a bit of suspension resto soon too, expect im going a much lower route
      The Mexicans who assembled my Wolfsburg like German food... good enough for me!
      VW Mk2 Transmission Installation Specialty Tool = 25th Anniversary Foose Channel Locks
      Quote Originally Posted by Deezy View Post
      Don't be a vagina. Take it apart

Vehicles
      had: '92 urS4, 07 GTI, '92 16V B3 Wagon, '74 914 now: '86 QSW
      12-08-2011 12:44 AM #34
      gonna need a bit of suspension resto soon too, expect im going a much lower route
      pics and details of that... yes please!

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 08:35 PM #35
      pics and details of that... yes please!
      Oh heck... I dont wanna hijack tinworms thread here... Ill see if I can get up my motivation to make a thread and I will post the link up here.
      VW Mk2 Transmission Installation Specialty Tool = 25th Anniversary Foose Channel Locks

11. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-08-2011 08:57 PM #36
      Oh heck... I dont wanna hijack tinworms thread here... Ill see if I can get up my motivation to make a thread and I will post the link up here.
      definitely need to start another thread, this forum is sluggish, more quantum owners need to post!

Would love to see what you have done, and definitely how it turns out lowered.

Follow up on the brake issue-

Pretty convinced its related to the master cylinder.
      Took the passenger caliper apart, reassembled, it appears to be working properly, removed the line from the master and checked for blockages or pinches in the line between the caliper and master, no problems there.
      new master came in the mail, need to bleed it and install

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 09:14 PM #37
      Bah, I guess i will toss a thread up... for now this is it stock hieght, and then with a 2" drop... going to have to do some welding fabrication on a new set of coilovers to get them to work on this car and to get as low as I want to go... Mind you this thing started out looking exactly like your Q... color and all

Before drop and tint:

Quality tint job 5%, 18%, 35% and a 2" drop:

Let me know how it acts after the new master... Mine still drags eeeeeevery once in a while but lets go with a good hard pump on the pedal
      Last edited by TheWolfsburg; 12-08-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 09:23 PM #38
      i'm liking the pain job

what did you use?

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 10:37 PM #39
      a fine grit truck bed liner

15. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-09-2011 07:53 AM #40
      looks pretty good lowered! First pic looks almost like a synchro, not the 2wd version. The tires on mine were much bigger, so I didn't have that lifted look.

how is the ride lowered? Did you just cut a coil or two out of the spring? or use a different spring?

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-10-2011 09:50 PM #41

Let me know how it acts after the new master... Mine still drags eeeeeevery once in a while but lets go with a good hard pump on the pedal
      new master installed, the brake problem is FINALLY resolved. Put the first real miles on the car today which were great!

I also put a pair of new tires on the front to resolve a slight vibration from the original pair, which had some uneven wear.

2nd improvement is I also ordered some new hatch struts that came with the master, I think thats been one of the greatest improvements so far.

Heres a pic of how I bled the master, I had a couple of those premade brake lines kicking around that fit, so I cut them in half, fully installed the master, and routed them back into the reservoir. Worked pretty well, I thought less messy than a standard bench bleed. Took about 150 pumps of the brake pedal to bleed it.

Vehicles
      2003 w8 4motion, 87 QSW quantum(RIP), 98 jetta TDI, b5.5 4motion(SOLD), 98 VR6-T Jetta
      12-11-2011 09:21 PM #42
      i have a 87 quantum syncro qsw, just hit 506,k on the 2.2 inline 5 5speed, it has been great for me. keep up the work, not many of these cars left

Vehicles
      12-11-2011 10:46 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by tinworm View Post
      Took about 150 pumps of the brake pedal to bleed it.
      LMAO

Glad to hear your up and cruising again... I might go ahead do the master too... good trick too

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-12-2011 07:53 AM #44
      LMAO

Glad to hear your up and cruising again... I might go ahead do the master too... good trick too

haha, this is an ideal chore for a helper. In this circumstance I told my friend to just start pumping the brake pedal, then went across the street and ordered us a pizza.

Ive decided that this car is too high. This is the last thing you would ever hear from a guy like me, who loves high ground clearance, but the tires I have on this car are oversize, and I think it looks goofy. Ill take a pic, might have to do with the bent up front bumper and lack of rear bumper, looks like a boat.
      Last edited by tinworm; 12-12-2011 at 07:55 AM.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-12-2011 07:54 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by gravityjunkie View Post
      i have a 87 quantum syncro qsw, just hit 506,k on the 2.2 inline 5 5speed, it has been great for me. keep up the work, not many of these cars left
      506K ?

Wow, how does the timing work on the 2.2? is it a chain or belt? have you ever had to change it?

Vehicles
      12-12-2011 10:37 PM #46
      timing is a belt drive, right up front and easy to work on... even has a little peeking hole to light the timing belt when setting it, just drop the front bumper and good to go.

And Im glad to hear the too high comment... I was hoping to inspire a little low around here

(and I think somebody asked, but I used bolt on spring clamps to compress three coils on each spring... no cutting... drives like a ferrari)

Vehicles
      12-14-2011 01:33 AM #47
      what exactly do these clamps look like???

This: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...e&apwidN7nWg1H

or something a bit simpler?

23. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-14-2011 12:18 PM #48
      what exactly do these clamps look like???

This: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...e&apwidN7nWg1H

or something a bit simpler?
      x2. Id be interested in knowing what he is using for compressing the coils permanently.

Im thinking if I go this route ill either cut or replace with shorter springs. The bolt on spring clamp sounds potentially dangerous if it ever lets go

24. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      12-14-2011 06:43 PM #49
      Bumpers should be here monday!!

Shipped all the way from the west coast, whats the secret to the side tab clip things? do you pull the bumper out straight and the clips slide out? How is it set up so I can remove it without destroying everything

Vehicles
      12-14-2011 09:44 PM #50
      using these...

except I used my spring compressor to compress everything, and then I fit three coils in there instead of the two... and no worries about the safe thing... if they evergave way, all they would do is expand in place... effective raising the car. Being wrapped around the strut, they aint going anywhere. And you can change the height to your taste, all revesable too, as opposed to cutting springs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast