Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new member and new to me 87 quantum wagon

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      01-17-2012 12:28 AM #71
      Completing construction on a mk2 jetta, then I can get this back together. Got all my parts in and a bentley manual. Actually decided to sell this car once I've reassembled it. Picked up a cheap ford to use as a winter car

Vehicles
      MkIV,VI Jetta:::'87 QStationW:::'08 TT
      02-06-2012 10:22 PM #72
      ? word
      The Mexicans who assembled my Wolfsburg like German food... good enough for me!
      VW Mk2 Transmission Installation Specialty Tool = 25th Anniversary Foose Channel Locks
      Quote Originally Posted by Deezy View Post
      Don't be a vagina. Take it apart

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      02-07-2012 11:36 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by tinworm View Post
      Completing construction on a mk2 jetta, then I can get this back together. Got all my parts in and a bentley manual. Actually decided to sell this car once I've reassembled it. Picked up a cheap ford to use as a winter car
      That was then.

Gonna keep it now, selling the cheap ford. Car is still not together, trying to move shop, have it under a tarp in my old shop. dust should settle in a few months

Ford was a Taurus SHO, and I reverted to a 17 year old ****head in that car, got me three speeding tickets in 3 weeks, so I will happily return to the quantum and sell the ford if I want to keep my license

Vehicles
      02-12-2012 10:57 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by tinworm View Post
      That was then.

Gonna keep it now, selling the cheap ford. Car is still not together, trying to move shop, have it under a tarp in my old shop. dust should settle in a few months

Ford was a Taurus SHO, and I reverted to a 17 year old ****head in that car, got me three speeding tickets in 3 weeks, so I will happily return to the quantum and sell the ford if I want to keep my license
      LMAO... funny how that works... glad to have ya back
      VW Mk2 Transmission Installation Specialty Tool = 25th Anniversary Foose Channel Locks

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      03-22-2012 09:01 AM #75
      alright, flip flopping again.

Im definitely selling this car now, as is with the head off for 500 bucks. PM if you are interested.

The space its in is getting closed down, im moving to a smaller space, and i have two projects running at the same time, this quantum, and a 74 benz with a custom engine and transmission ive been tinkering with for 3 years.

check the for sale section if you are interested
      Last edited by tinworm; 03-28-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Vehicles
      1986 QSW Syncro
      03-23-2012 12:59 AM #76
      Damn worm TF.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      03-23-2012 09:49 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Snarkle View Post
      Damn worm TF.
      here is the for sale ad-
      Id even deliver it within maybe a 300 mile radius for gas and dolly rental reimbursement. If you live between RI and cape cod, or RI and NYC, and even RI and Rochester NY, that would be on one of my work travel routes, so fairly convenient for me to drop off

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...omplete-500-RI
      Last edited by tinworm; 03-28-2012 at 11:05 AM.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      03-30-2012 10:22 AM #78
      YES found a place to stash it for super cheap! Just moved the car there yesterday. Now I can revisit this car later after the dust settles.

The problem I was having is that a majority of legit local self storage places demand that the vehicle be running to store it on their lot, OR, the location is so ****ty that the car will be destroyed by vandalism after 15 minutes.

I finally found a mix of both, a storage lot out in the boonies which accepts non running cars and is secure and very reasonable.

Its outside storage, question on covering it, is it worth putting a car cover over it? or would I risk paint damage from flapping tarps in the wind and such?

Vehicles
      03-31-2012 05:48 PM #79
      worth a car cover but get an actual car cover. No tarps. the weather proof car covers are made not to scratch.

10. 04-16-2012 07:58 AM #80
      Audi/VW 5 cyl exhaust manifolds typically warped & popped the studs. When you get the studs replaced, have the machine shop mill the manifold surfaces flat also. Once 'flattened' they virtually never warp again. Great engines otherwise.

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 09:27 AM #81
      Hey tin,

What did replace and where did you get your parts when you had a caliper dragging or wouldn't let go?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      05-12-2012 08:46 PM #82
      I ended up replacing everything sequentially. I thought at first it was a collapsing rubber brake line, so replaced that, then that didn't work, so replaced the caliper, and STILL had the dragging!

After that, inspected and made sure whole line was clear, and replaced the master cylinder. That ended up being the issue, worked great after that

I got most of my parts from autohaus az, and or partsgeek. Not a fan of partsgeek customer service though, id definitely use autohaus again, guys were very helpful

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 09:07 PM #83
      Super appreciate that!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      05-24-2012 12:47 PM #84
      ok, who wants this?

Im being given a couple cars, both running, randomly at the same time, and I need to trim down the herd. These new cars are a volvo, and another chevy. The volvo is actually a 5-speed 87 wagon, and I owned an 88 as a first car, so I love it, and my plans to get the quantum up and running have waned since it has very little internal volume compared to the volvo.

Ive spent a lot of money on this quantum, but not that much, and I am willing to GIVE the car to someone for free. You gotta deal with moving it. I can be hired to pull it with my van if you are interested, and im open to road trips, but you gotta pay gas, and dolly rental, and the road trips have to be completed in a weekend, IE, I can deliver the car anywhere I can get in a single day, leaving the next to get back.

PM me if you want this car. Comes with all the goodies listed in the thread, and ill throw all the parts I have for it inside. Some work, you could put it back together. Or part it.

Vehicles
      1986 QSW Syncro
      05-24-2012 12:54 PM #85

Can you drive to Oregon in one day?
      Ill make samwiches.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      05-24-2012 01:04 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by Snarkle View Post

Can you drive to Oregon in one day?
      Ill make samwiches.
      lol, I think the range I can make is about 500 miles realistically in one day towing. However, a samwich would be awesome.

So let me adjust to within 500 miles from RI the car can be delivered. Fuel costs can be calculated at 16mpg towing, and 20mpg to get back. (what my van can do)

So if you want to estimate what you would have to pay me to deliver this car to lets say, Newark NJ, which is 190 miles away, that would take me about 22 gallons in fuel, and probably be about 80-90 bucks. Add renting a dolly, and add tolls. But thats the math, im not interested in gouging anyone, and I have an old van which is getting a new engine anyway, so I don't care about putting miles on it.

Vehicles
      1986 QSW Syncro
      05-25-2012 03:20 AM #87
      TOO BAD I make yummy samwiches and I can acomodate any dietary requirements. You are too far away. Shall I mail you a samwhich anyways? lol. RI pffft!
      I have visited there I liked it. have some pink granite i collected in the surf there.
      hope it works out and some crazy quantum seeking fool hooks up with you!

Vehicles
      85 Ur Quattro, 88 Fox Wagon (sold), 90 Golf, 83 Q Sedan TD, 88 QSW (soon tdi), 85 Q wgn, 03 A4 Avant
      05-25-2012 04:18 AM #88
      Well if you're mailing samwiches out to Quantum owners.....I have no dietary restrictions.

Vehicles
      1986 QSW Syncro
      05-25-2012 02:54 PM #89
      Dubbin...Hmmm lets see here...Ahhh you seem like a peanut butter, dill Pickle, with Tuna Fish kinda guy
      Dont laugh at me but I used to make those when I was in HS cross country. Coach said I need lots of protien

Vehicles
      05-26-2012 01:39 AM #90
      this is a tempting ordeal... but im in TX. I was just at SOWO in GA too... dang it

21. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      05-27-2012 09:58 PM #91
      And its gone! On to an new home, delivered today.

Vehicles
      05-27-2012 10:44 PM #92
      Sad to hear but, im sure it's in good hands

23. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      06-01-2012 10:47 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by TheWolfsburg View Post
      Sad to hear but, im sure it's in good hands
      went on to a capable looking group of VW guys up in Maine. They are working on it to get it running, they may update the thread at some point seeing on how it turns out.

Vehicles
      07-03-2012 09:27 PM #94
      Still waiting on word....

25. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      07-06-2012 10:17 AM #95
      guys got it running, don't know more though.

He said its working.

Vehicles
      1990 VW Golf Diesel, 1984 VW Rabbit Diesel
      08-04-2012 11:43 AM #96

She is running strong and is currently being daily'd. More details later. Planning on re-blacking the trim later today.

Sent from my DROID X2
      I have various MKII and MKI parts. Mostly Diesels and some Gasser stuff.
      www.facebook.com/blackdogjunkyard <---------Here for pictures. PM me for More Info.

Blackdog Junkyard

27. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MK2 Jetta Diesel NA
      08-13-2012 10:05 AM #97
      looks good! fkin awesome

glad you got it running!
      Black looks good for under the bumpers, did you end up putting in some new speakers?

glad you took it over, it would still be rotting away in storage down here

wow, im surprised how fast the heat gun blacking of the trim faded, I only did that a couple months before you guys got it.

Vehicles
      1990 VW Golf Diesel, 1984 VW Rabbit Diesel
      08-14-2012 02:30 PM #98
      Yeah I have heat gunned the trim on my mkii. It fades fast. We used bondo trim blackener or whatever and now it looks awesome. We also painted the rear bumper black and made the tail lights all red. More pics to come.

Sent from my DROID X2
      I have various MKII and MKI parts. Mostly Diesels and some Gasser stuff.
      www.facebook.com/blackdogjunkyard <---------Here for pictures. PM me for More Info.

Blackdog Junkyard

Vehicles
      09-03-2012 11:38 PM #99
      Good to see her up and daily'in

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123