Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1986 VW Quantum Syncro - 18,100 original miles.

1. 10-01-2011 11:15 PM #1
      THIS CAR IS NOT FOR SALE - I've decided to keep it. Do not know how to delete thread. Sorry.

Records from date of purchase. Car primarily garage kept. Driven little (avg 724 miles per year). Some cosmetic issues - dings, slight corner rubs from a bad parking jobs but no major issues. Very slight surface rust on one corner - see photo. Interior is flawless. Everything is there. Everything works as new. No cracks, tears or any other issues. Everything is original. New Toyo tires.

What's it worth?

Images here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...01315144404641

Located in Sun Valley, Idaho.
      Last edited by veloce001; 05-30-2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: change post

2. Member
      10-02-2011 07:00 PM #2
      PM your contact number, location and what you
      think you want, as in price. I may bring money and look.
      one look is worth 1000 words.

J.B. in IF, ID.

Vehicles
      MK4 TDI ALH '72 C/10 Custom fleetside
      10-02-2011 07:59 PM #3
      Its on The Samba Ketchum, Idaho is the location added. Lucky SOB if I was in Idaho id be all over it. -Jacob-
      "Nitrous is like a hot chick w an STD: you wann hit it but scared of the consequences"

4. 10-02-2011 11:02 PM #4
      Hand washed the car today and cleaned the interior. Went for a little spin - car drives like new. The only issue I detected was the cruise ctrl does not work. Checking fuse. The under carriage is impeccable. Looks like it needs a new muffler though. Weird - rusting from inside out. Wheels are as new - no curb marks, no scratches. Spotless.

This car is in better condition than my 05 Tdi Passat. It's a time machine. Found the cross bars for the roof rack in the back - they've never been removed from the bag.

Anyone know what this is worth? I can't find another for sale.

Vehicles
      1985 GOLF VR6 SLEEPER
      10-04-2011 10:58 PM #5

Did you take that pic while driving 35mph ?

6. 10-20-2011 02:36 PM #6
      yes.

Quote Originally Posted by vwsnaps View Post

Did you take that pic while driving 35mph ?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Corrado tdi project Tdi passat wagon and a few other projects hanging around
      10-29-2011 05:39 PM #7
      Have you came up with a price yet ?

Vehicles
      04 TR R32, 88 QSW
      10-31-2011 11:16 AM #8
      This guy told me VWOA wanted to buy the car because it's the nicest one they have seen. He also refused to state a price. I wouldn't waste your time with this seller. There are alot of Syncro wagons out there that don't have body damage like this one does. I'm sure it's clean if you want to repaint it and find new OEM bumpers that haven't been run into things. Good luck with the sale!
      Want your job back? Stop buying from Walmart and China or... Move to China because that's where your job is. C'mon people it's not rocket science.
      INA SUCKS http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...&highlight=INA

9. Member
      Vehicles
      82 Quantum Coupe, 86 Quantum Syncro Wagon, 87 Scirocco 16V
      11-01-2011 11:55 AM #9
      post a price per forum rules or go sell it on ebay and pay their outrageous fees. I'd be wary of this at a huge price as the drivetrain does not react well to sitting. It's a beautiful car but there's a pretty limited market. Just to let you know, mine was in similar condition with only 78k miles and I paid only $1500 for it.
      Good luck, but set a price, don't jerk people around. There are plenty out there to be had still.
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

Vehicles
      1985 GOLF VR6 SLEEPER
      11-01-2011 01:32 PM #10
      He told me he turned down $3500 local offer

11. Member
      Vehicles
      11-01-2011 08:49 PM #11
      Well, he's on crack then. It's still a 25 year old quirky gas guzzler with a top cruising speed near 70. Looks like he's flaked anyway. For $3500 I'd buy a shell and a TDI swap.
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

Vehicles
      1985 GOLF VR6 SLEEPER
      11-01-2011 09:10 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnBarleyCorn
      It's still a 25 year old quirky gas guzzler with a top cruising speed near 70.
      oh so. It is normal that my 1986 qsw won't go over 80?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      11-01-2011 10:45 PM #13
      Not unless you want the rods on the outside of the block.
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

14. 11-27-2011 12:39 PM #14
      PM sent

Joe
      joegt3cup@att.net

15. 11-28-2011 02:13 AM #15
      Sorry for any confusion I may have caused - My intent was to learn a little more about this car and maybe get an idea of value. I'm not highly motivated to sell but would do so for a decent offer. I don't need it - I purchased it because it seemed like a cool car and great for the mountain climate where I live. I've been driving it daily for the past month - short commutes between Ketchum and Hailey (state highway) and an occasional trip to Boise and back (couple hours each way). The car runs like a charm and is a blast to drive and now has 20,100 miles on it. And while I don't really care for it, I get tons of attention. People dig it.

In any event, wanted to post a quick response to some of the comments below.

JohnBarleyCorn - hard to take a guy with that name seriously but I will. Why so negative? If you don't like my post (or anyone else's), spare me the brain damage. I've received 2 offers well over $3,500. Haven't flaked - Just not highly motivated. You haven't seen my car so your comparison is baseless.

My car has been driven regularly, serviced regularly, and inspected regularly and stored in a heated garage from day one. Everything works perfectly. While the body has a few cosmetic issues, none need repair. The car looks great - its not headed to the show room so it doesn't need to be perfect. I'm not jerking anyone around - I don't know what the car is worth and I'm looking for guidance. In fact, I've been jerked around by yahoo's like you who have offered me $1K.

A lot of you have been very helpful - thanks for the feedback and the positive remarks. When I come up with a price, I'll let you all know.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      11-28-2011 10:56 AM #16
      I'm negative because you came on here trying to auction off your car and ignored the rules of posting a price. You then didn't answer people and came up with stories about big offers. If you're not motivated, don't post it up for sale. If you truly did get the offers you said you did, you should have taken them.
      And why would you not be able to take me seriously due to my screen name? If you're going to be in on the Quantum scene, you'll definitely be hearing from me and a few others who deal with these cars. There aren't many of us.
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

Vehicles
      84 Jetta Coupe, 07 Impreza
      11-29-2011 11:12 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by veloce001 View Post
      Hand washed the car today and cleaned the interior. Went for a little spin - car drives like new. The only issue I detected was the cruise ctrl does not work. Checking fuse. The under carriage is impeccable. Looks like it needs a new muffler though. Weird - rusting from inside out. Wheels are as new - no curb marks, no scratches. Spotless.

This car is in better condition than my 05 Tdi Passat. It's a time machine. Found the cross bars for the roof rack in the back - they've never been removed from the bag.

Anyone know what this is worth? I can't find another for sale.

Mufflers usually rust from the inside out. In fact, most damaging corrosion is from the inside out. A 25 year-old muffler should have been replaced 20 years ago.

So why do you have this if you know nothing about it and don't know how much it's worth? Did you inherit it?

And, cars don't get driven an "average of ___ miles per year." That's dealership talk. Cars either get stored or they're driven. This one was stored.

18. 12-23-2011 06:24 PM #18
      If it were for sale, I'd be interested in it. I stopped actively searching a few years ago, but I haven't stopped coveting them.
      Now: '74 Thing Acapulco ... '13 Tiguan S ... '09 Eos Komfort ... '02 Golf GLS TDI
      Past: '97 Jetta GT ... '02 Passat ... '02 Cabrio GLX ... '71 Super Beetle ... '93 EuroVan MV Westy ... '86 Jetta GLI ... '81 Pickup LX ... '85 Vanagon
      Future: oh, the possibilities ...

19. 01-09-2012 03:40 PM #19
      Tough love on this forum - appreciate the interest in the car. We've been driving it for a couple of months now - 22,500 miles total - and its running like a charm. Haven't had much snow in Sun Valley but enough to realize how well the car goes. It accelerates better than my 02 S4 Avant with arctic alpins! In any event, the girlfriend wants to keep for a while. I appreciate all the interest though and the constructive feedback. I honestly had no idea what the car is worth - I picked it up from the classifieds from an older woman who can no longer drive.

If it matters to any of you, I received several offers in the $3,500 range and a couple well over that.

Best to all of you in the new year.

Vehicles
      84 Jetta Coupe, 07 Impreza
      01-09-2012 03:51 PM #20
      18,100 miles in October.

22,500 miles in the beginning of January.

I'd buy this solely to save it from being run into the ground as your daily driver.

21. 04-17-2012 05:43 AM #21
      Car still available?