VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

How much did you pay for your Passat?

69K views 432 replies 268 participants last post by  taxi_driver 
#1 ·
I am in the process on closing on a 2012 Passat, as well as I sure as other onlookers of this forum.

I thought it would be helpful to post this info for others to compare when shopping.

How about this format -

1) Engine (2.5, TDI, VR6)
2) Transmission (MT, AT, AT DSG)
3) Trimline (S, SE, SEL)
4) Options (spoiler, protection, navigation, sunroof, mats)
5) Comments
6) Price excluding tax, title, tags

Post a photo of your beauty if you have one.

#33 ·
2.5l se

Just purchased my 2.5L last week. Went though multiple dealers for quotes and also priced through Truecar.com. Truecar was VERY good on pricing out the Altima, Sonata and Optima but not so great on the Passat as direct dealer quotes were a couple hundred less. Had my locale dealer beat the best price to get the sale plus they went an extra $500 on my trade.

2.5L SE
Automatic
Platinum Gray with Moonrock interior
Monster mat kit
Price paid (including freight but not tax and dmv fees)
$23,788

Don't have too many miles so far but overall happy at this point. I picked the Passat over a very loaded 29k Altima that I had priced down to about the same price. I chose the Passat because it feels more upscale and better put together. Plus the ride is much nicer. Pretty much the same thing with the Sonata and Optima. All three are nice cars but I felt like I would get tired of the styling and the ride in pretty short order. I can see myself in the VW for years to come.

#34 ·
TDI SEL Premium
Mat Kit
Lip Spoiler

MSRP 33,575
FAC INVOICE 32,131
PRICE PAID $32,158 + 595 lovely Florida dealer Fee:mad:

32,753 total

dealer worked hard to play games to try to get full msrp out of me since there are very few of these left(with decent colors) anywhere around south Florida

#35 ·
Another TDI

1) TDI
2) AT DSG
3) SE
4) mats
5) platinum gray/black, purchased 10/7, also got 1.9% financing and a good number for my CC trade-in (same as carmax offer)
6) $27,707 - invoice; MSRP 28,900

#36 ·
1) TDI
2) DSG
3) SEL
4) Mat Kit
5) Had a F&F certificate from VWGoA for invoice, but dealer wouldn't honor it until all previous orders were filled. Instead I picked up someone's canceled order for $750 off sticker rather than wait 90 days. Will be adding a lip spoiler.
6) $32,450

#37 ·
I had a Night Blue/Black TDI SEL on order from a local dealer at invoice, which was $32,100 I believe. That car is still in la la land with a delivery expected who knows when, so I purchased yesterday from another local dealer a Platinum Gray/Black TDI SEL with the Protection Kit (monster mats, trunk liner, lip spoiler) and First Aid Kit that they had just gotten in and was not presold. Sticker was $33,599. They split the difference between MSRP and Invoice with me, so $32,849 was what I paid. I figured I would save enough money in gas compared to my V8 S4 to cover most of the $750 difference by not waiting to buy at invoice at who knows what month next year. I'm happy and they gave me a huge discount on the 7 yr 100k platinum warranty too, so no worries for a long time for me!

#42 ·
Forgot my old login so created a new one. My last VW was a 02 Jetta 1.8T. I got a quote for a Tungsten Silver Metallic.

1) TDI
2) AT DSG
3) Highline (Canadian SEL, minus seat memory :mad:)
4) sport package and NAV
5) Tungsten Silver Metallic, dealer demo with 5k kms
6) MSRP is 37350, dealer knocked off about 1900$ being a demo

On a lease it came to 620$ tax in 0$ down no security deposit for 36 months. Usually 682$ a month. Can't find one with sports pack let alone both nav and sports. Not too crazy about the color. Would have preferred red or blue. One thing I noticed it had 18" bridgestones! What do you guys think?

#68 ·
Love this post! Stinks Canada is so much more and what gives on the memory seat that is really peculiar. Paddle shifters, digital MFI oil temp readout, and dual exhaust are the only differences between the TDI and 3.6 in the US, but it would seem the memory seat is something to add to the list in Canada! Wish I had the sport pack with carbon fiber trim and the spoiler like you! I have the 18" bristol(?) rims too though :) Could you take a picture of the carbon fiber interior for me please! And what interior did you get? Do you have remote start?

#44 · (Edited)
As Tom Petty sings...

The waiting is the hardest part. We are told not to expect our new baby before February.

Just ordered the following from the factory via my local dealer:

1) TDI
2) AT DSG
3) SEL
4) Mats/Trunk Liner/CarGo Blocks, First Aid kit
5) Cash, no trade-in
6) $31,971

We are returning to the VW family. Wife traded in her beloved 1999 Passat for a minivan when our first child arrived in 2004.

In retrospect, the ordering process was a little surreal. Dear wife test drove the car and decided what options she wanted. I took over and contacted 10+ dealers via email and asked for a quote for a factory order. Of those that responded, I had the lowest email me the buyers agreement, which I signed and emailed back. Coincidentally, this happened to be the closest and most convenient dealer to us. I then called in with a credit card number for the deposit.

#53 ·
1) 2.5L (White / Beige)
2) Automatic
3) SEL Premium
4) Monster Mats and Heavy Duty Trunk Liner with CarGo Blocks and First Aid Kit
5) Got $750 off for loyalty bonus and a full tank of gas :D
6) $30,185

#56 · (Edited)
2012 Passat | Platinum Gray / Black
1) TDI
2) DSG
3) SEL Premium
4) Monster Mats, Trunk Liner, Cargo Blocks, Window Tint, Nitrogen Filled Tires
5) We had a F&F certificate but all TDI's are excluded from that program
6) $31,700ish - $33,287 tags, taxes, & fees

#57 ·
2012 Passat SE / Sunroof Candy White on Titanium Black
1) 2.5
2) AT
3) SE w/ Sunroof
4) Sunroof, monster mats, cargo blocks, first aid kit, window tint
5) Was initially looking at a TDI but the dealer wouldn't budge on the price. Drove both and didn't notice enough of a difference between the performance of the TDI and the 2.5 to justify the additional cost. Second, on a ROI comparison it'd take me about 7 years to break even between the TDI and 2.5 in costs.
6) $24,750 out the door (incl. TTL) with the 5 yr / 60k bumper to bumper extended warranty.

The one thing I was really dissapointed in was that you couldn't add simple remote start to the car. You had to bump up in trim levels to get the remote start. :mad:

I've got almost 700 miles on it since I bought it and I must say, coming from full size trucks most my life, this car is amazing. We test drove the Accord, Malibu, Camry, Civic, Mazada 6 and a few others before finally deciding on the Passat.

Bad iPhone pic the night I picked her up (waiting on it to stop raining so I can get some good pictures):

#60 ·
TDI

1) TDI - black on black
2) AT DSG
3) SE - w/sunroof, nav, 18's
4) not at dealer - paid $90 plus shipping for monster mats on amazon.com from a VW dealer in NC
5) Dealer just south of Boston would barely deal on one color and offered $1k off MSRP a TDI SE w/ roof in black that was not actually at the dealership yet. I searched more and found a dealer in Fall River, MA which offered the car at the internet price below, no haggle. They stayed after on a Friday night and I drove away in under an hour. They did not even bother with trying to add any extras on which I was pleased with.
6) $27,966 on an MSRP of 30,265 - they also gave me what I was after on my trade which was a little better than the good price on kbb and i was able to grab 2.99% for 60 months when most banks I checked with were at least 1% higher. Car had 12 miles on it.

#61 ·
1) VR6
2) DSG (with paddle shifters, haha TDI)
3) SEL
4) Premium Pkg (kessy, res, memory seat with tilt mirror, RNS510, homelink, fogs with static lights)
5) Love the car, but wish you could defeat ESC and it had better allocated traction, coming from AWD and 4wd only, this is truly a terrible car when it comes to acceleration and going all over the road. It literally can slide sideways which is something I've never experienced. Also the RNS510 is very laggy, and I wish there was some kind of parking aid. But i love the static bending lights and the MDI hookup! Plus it is so nice that the climatronic comes up on the screen! I love that.
6) Leasing for $390 a month for 36 months, 15,000 miles a year, $5000 down. (first lease!)

#62 ·
2012 Passat Candy White/Black Int

1) 2.5L
2) MT
3) SE
4) Rubber Mats
5) Added the OEM lip spoiler after car arrived for $360. I traded in my 2010 Audi A5 which I purchased brand new for $34,300 and the trade in value that VW gave me was $33k!!! It was too good a deal to pass up.
6) $23,000

The sales manager was a friend of a friend so he told me that he would give me employee pricing on the car which was invoice minus $700.

Overall I feel it was a great deal.

#64 ·
Paid 300 under invoice. Financed at 1.9%

Passat SE 2.5 w/sunroof
Blk/blk
Monster mats
Trunk mat with blocks
First aid kit

Also purchased extended 7yr/100k no deductible if serviced at purchasing dealer for 1500.

Only other fees were $150 doc fees and usual no tax, lic, and reg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.