By request, I am starting a thread where you can track the progress of your order, or ask a salesperson any questions regarding the Golf R. I hope that there will be other salespeople here, other than me.
First, here is a repost from GTI VI forum, which describes the process of ordering a car through VW for USA market:
This is the process for ordering any VW, and the stages an order goes through on it's way to your dealer.
1) You and your dealer agree on equipment and price.
2) If the model you want has ordering open, then the dealer enters the order into the VW system, and a commission number is generated immediately. Available allocation is not required to place the order in the system, it will sit in 'I.S. Order Bank' status until the dealer is assigned allocation for that model. (I.S. Order Bank is like a dealer wish list, at this point the orders can just sit, and if they never receive allocation, the orders may never get built)
3) If the dealer has multiple orders for the same model, they then assign priority ranks to the orders.
4) When the dealer receives allocation, the system asks the dealer which orders the dealer wants to send to the factory, usually this is by priority ranking, although of course the dealer can change this and send any order they want to the factory (if they have 4 orders and two allocation slots to use).
5) At that point the car moves to 'Factory Order Bank' status, which basically means it will be built. Usually within a week, we receive a set of ETA dates for the order, so we have estimates as to it's arrival dates.
6) Anywhere from a week to three weeks, the order normally moves to 'Production Stock', which means it is now on line to be built. Time is 1-3 weeks at this stage.
7) The next status is 'Intransit from Factory'. The car is built, we now see the VIN, and the car is moving toward the US.
8) 'Port Stock' is next, when it arrives in the US port.
9) Next is 'Intransit Inland', at this point it's on a truck heading for the dealer.
10) Last is 'Dealer Stock', self explanatory.
Now, the ordering dealer can see a whole bunch of dates on the page that also contains the customers personal info. Since the customer info is protected, only the selling dealer can see these dates for an order marked as a 'Sold Order'. Here are the statuses, what they mean, and how they coraspond to the above statuses that every dealer can see in the locator.
Order Entry - Date the dealer enters the order.
Marked Sold Order - Date it's made a sold order, should be the same on yours, but some orders start out as for stock, and are sold later.
Vehicle Assigned - Date car is assigned to the dealer from VWoA, some are assigned to us from a pool of already built cars.
Release to Manuf. - This is when an order gets allocation assigned to it, it's the first step. Shows as 'Factory Order Bank'.
Release for Production - This is when it shows as 'Production Stock', it's when it is actually in line at the factory.
Factory Inspected - This date is when the car rolls off the production line. It now shows as 'Intransit from Factory' in the locator system
Departure Port Arrived - Arrives at the port to be ship loaded.
Ship Loaded - Date it's put on board ship.
Port Arrived - US port arrival. Now it shows 'Port Stock' in the locator system.
Dealer Invoice - Dealer is invoiced for the car.
Port Hold End - Some cars get held at the port, this shows the date to be released.
Rel. to Carrier - Released from the port to the trucking company for transport to the dealer.
Rail Load - mostly for central states, cars are train shipped from port to a central holding area in Chicago area I think.
Rail Unload - Arrived at holding area.
Truck Load - Loaded on truck to be shipped to dealer. Shows as 'Intransit Inland' on the locator.
Dealer Delivered - Arrived at selling dealer.