Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 53 of 77 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
    Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1902

Thread: The Story of a dead guy, a farmer, and an ocean blue swallow.

1. 03-06-2012 12:24 AM #1301
      Quote Originally Posted by saddest6day66 View Post
      My thoughts.. by raising the strut mount it pulls the shock piston up further giving more shock travel, yes it wont allow me to go lower, but it will keep the piston more in it's "happy zone" when riding down quite low.
      Your intent is good but your math is a little off. Your your limitation in travel is not the strut... it is the upper bag mount. Raising the bearing will do nothing for increasing travel. It will still bottom out on the bag mount. Ironically for every inch you raise the strut bearing you will actually reduce your total travel by the same amount. This will limit the amount of lift you can achieve by "topping out" the strut prematurely. Granted you are not looking to "play" with the air ride but there is really no reason to limit its functionality either.

Hope that helps!

Vehicles
      '50 Dodge PilotHouse, '52 DKW 125W, '76 Rabbit Ocean Bleu X2,EA Cabriolet,'77 & '80 Scirocco,'01 JSW
      03-06-2012 12:33 AM #1302
      understood.. but remember I will be riding at the lower end of the shock travel and dropping down further. So I doubt I'd top the shocks out with the small amount I'll raise it to roll. But I am keeping the set on the car in stock form and building the raised set regardless. With how many cars I build/own I'm sure I can find a use for them

Vehicles
      Porsche 911
      03-06-2012 01:23 AM #1303
      only way to find out if **** works is to just do it. someone has to give it a go. imagine if everyone just posted what they read on the internet somewhere. *shiver*

fav part about this build is the "**** it, im doing that, and I'm going to make it work" and the "its not that you dont know how, its that you dont know how yet" attitude.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      77 rabbit
      03-06-2012 07:22 AM #1304
      i know we are on to air ride talk already but i gotta say(not that hasn't already but..)
      with the motor in,airbox hooked up and everything it place it looks absolutely perfect
      100% stock/oem looking

Vehicles
      '50 Dodge PilotHouse, '52 DKW 125W, '76 Rabbit Ocean Bleu X2,EA Cabriolet,'77 & '80 Scirocco,'01 JSW
      03-06-2012 08:15 AM #1305
      Quote Originally Posted by Digital K. View Post
      only way to find out if **** works is to just do it. someone has to give it a go. imagine if everyone just posted what they read on the internet somewhere. *shiver*

fav part about this build is the "**** it, im doing that, and I'm going to make it work" and the "its not that you dont know how, its that you dont know how yet" attitude.

Kris, you definitely get "it". I think I've learned this from my pops and older brother when I was kid and they were shoving V8's into crap that isn't supposed to fit, cutting rears, shortening driveshafts, etc to make it all jive. I've learned that mindset where you can make an idea work if you put your mind to it. I've come far from their methods.. instead of smashing the firewall in with a hammer to fit the engine, you cut it out and build a new firewall to fit the engine and try and make it look as OE as possible. It's been a big goal in my life to try and pay attention to details more, and try and make things look "right", rather than just throw it together. It's definitely more expensive this way.. but fabrication and custom car building is something I strive to get better at

Quote Originally Posted by BROsiah View Post
      i know we are on to air ride talk already but i gotta say(not that hasn't already but..)
      with the motor in,airbox hooked up and everything it place it looks absolutely perfect
      100% stock/oem looking
      Thanks dude, once I had it all hooked up and stood back, I really was surprised it all worked out haha. I had that moment of "woah I think this is all gonna work"

Cheers to all that have given input, talked ****, or let me pick their brain; it's always much appreciated. Hopefully I can return the favor!

6. 03-06-2012 11:55 AM #1306
      only way to find out if **** works is to just do it. someone has to give it a go.
      Someone already has "given it a go" Kris... Me. It's the only reason I volunteered the advice in the first place... Experience.

Vehicles
      Juced Cutty on 13's
      03-06-2012 12:48 PM #1307
      if you rase the strut mounts what will the upper bag mount sit on?

8. Banner Advertiser nothing-leaves-stock's Avatar
      Vehicles
      a few.
      03-06-2012 12:56 PM #1308
      i'm pretty sure matt has it under control...
      www.nothingleavesstock.com
      NLS's full line of parts on our online store!http://nothingleavesstock.com/online...=0&sort=normal
      Email us at sales@nothingleavesstock.com 5780 Main St. Center Valley PA 18034 610 282 5487

Vehicles
      03-06-2012 01:26 PM #1309
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mk1 View Post
      Someone already has "given it a go" Kris... Me. It's the only reason I volunteered the advice in the first place... Experience.
      No offense Terry, but I have a hard time taking anyones word as "gospel" on the interwebz, even from the true professionals.. This experience you speak of.. is it just that Jetta you were bagging as far as Mk1's go? That's not really enough experience for me to drop every thought of doing something... I like to try things myself.. I'd hope the guy making kooky z'ed control arms, fitting aircooled wheels, and body dropping their project vehicle could appreciate that...

Quote Originally Posted by Minty_Fresh View Post
      if you rase the strut mounts what will the upper bag mount sit on?
      It's not like I am considering making 5" high extended mounts. I like to do mods that are more on the subtle side. I don't want to have to chop up my hood or raise my hood just because I wanted to run obnoxious raised mounts. A small 1" raise would be a small help if I go that route.. but as mentioned.. that is down the road once I get some other things done

Again thanks for any and all input. It's appreciated and always taken into consideration. Just don't get your ego hurt if I don't always take it and like to find out on my own

10. 03-06-2012 01:37 PM #1310
      No offense Terry, I like to try things myself.. I'd hope the guy making kooky z'ed control arms-haha funny looking and unsafe, fitting aircooled wheels,really think that would balance out and the wieght had to be stupid and body dropping their project vehicle, that won't be done and has ugly parts bolted to it all... could appreciate that...

. Just don't get your ego hurt if I don't always take it and like to find out on my own FINE!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '88 Jetta | '13 135is | '10 Clubman S | '94 Ranger
      03-06-2012 02:06 PM #1311
      Again thanks for any and all input. It's appreciated and always taken into consideration. Just don't get your ego hurt if I don't always take it and like to find out on my own

12. 03-06-2012 02:25 PM #1312
      No ego damage here. All I was trying to save you time and hassle. No... the Jetta is not the only MK1 I have ever bagged... nor only car/truck I have ever bagged. It is this understanding the limitations of the MK1 and air ride that resulted in the development of my kit. I do however find it funny you that would seek the advise of someone who has only ever bagged one MK1 ever yet find my advice somehow less than.

Carry on... you have it covered! We're done.

Nice edit "normal person" DB

Vehicles
      84 GTI/86 4000q/92 VR6T/07 Rabbit/12 GTI/97 F-350
      03-06-2012 02:39 PM #1313
      Bay looks great Matt. I really like the way you do things, carry on.
      DCI

Vehicles
      03-06-2012 02:40 PM #1314
      I do however find it funny you that would seek the advise of someone who has only ever bagged one MK1 ever yet find my advice somehow less than.
      Like I mentioned before, it's all about delivery... your first piece of advice was constructive and helpful, your response to Kris was a bit on the "holier than thou" side...

If you are referring to Kris.. I didn't ask his advice.. He and I chat about cars a lot, but I (and he) know he is a bit overly opinionated about things sometimes and his opinion is a bit skewed.. so we didn't chat much about that. I only asked advice of guys that had LOADS of air ride experience under their belt (like Ben K) that I know are straight shooters and give me solid answers.. I also researched like crazy on non-VW forums to try and get a better understanding of it all.

Sorry I thought you only did one mk1 on airride must of missed the threads about all of the other Mk1's you've built on air ride, I'll try and search them up. How is that red jetta doing? Still at your shop getting done, all finished and rolling, or somewhere else now? Keep on doing your thang either way

Enough arguing and BS. This is exactly the crap I try to avoid in my threads. Lets get back to rescuing old european junkers

Vehicles
      84 Rabbit Diesel
      03-06-2012 02:50 PM #1315
      finally completely caught up in this thread. its like watching a movie. my emotions stirred up. the lows (wiring problems), the highs (ENGINE REVEAL!!!)
      great build so far man! cant wait to see whats next

03-06-2012 03:07 PM #1316
      qft. terry has tried things i only had drawn in sketches. bar none, he knows more about whats possible, what works, what doesnt, air ride wise on a mk1 more than anyone i know. he continues to research and push the limits. his advice should be appreciated, as it is only given to assist fellow mk1 crazy people in their projects, to help avoid huge hasseles and delays.

lookin good matt, lovin the color matched motor stuffs, air should help a ton on that bad boy.
      madspeed oldskoolvw.com

vortex success does not equal car culture success.

Vehicles
      Porsche 911
      03-06-2012 05:09 PM #1317
      I think sometimes people get a bit too emotionally invested in other peoples projects. When things get heated like this, its honestly just a compliment in how much people want to be involved with what you are doing. This is a great build, and people care about its direction and outcome but sometimes you gotta dial back a little bit and just appreciate whats unfolding and developing.

onwards!
      Last edited by Digital K.; 03-06-2012 at 05:11 PM.

18. 03-06-2012 06:04 PM #1318
      No ego damage here. All I was trying to save you time and hassle. No... the Jetta is not the only MK1 I have ever bagged... nor only car/truck I have ever bagged. It is this understanding the limitations of the MK1 and air ride that resulted in the development of my kit. I do however find it funny you that would seek the advise of someone who has only ever bagged one MK1 ever yet find my advice somehow less than.
      with all that supposed experience, one would think you'd make better parts than those abortions you call strut tops, and the half asses tie rod kits.

awesome work saddest

Vehicles
      Porsche 911
      03-06-2012 06:27 PM #1319
      comon....enough with all that crap please.

03-06-2012 06:54 PM #1320
      comon....enough with all that crap please.
      this.
      madspeed oldskoolvw.com

vortex success does not equal car culture success.

21. 03-06-2012 07:13 PM #1321
      Looking good to me.
      Matt doesnt seem to do anything half ass so I know even bags will actually turn out to be a good thing here.

Vehicles
      03-06-2012 10:50 PM #1322
      Let's get past the BS, nothing I build is perfect, but hopefully this all serves as a learning experience for myself and anyone reading it

Tonight I ran out and picked up my fuchs from the machine shop first. I am gonna start stripping and refinishing the centers tomorrow. I then worked on mounting the paddles and gauge in the kneebar. I wanted them to stand alone in the kneebar, but the padding/cardboard isn't strong enough to hold it very steady, so for now I mounted the gauge panel they came with upside down with a autometer angle ring. It's acceptable for now, but I will keep looking for another option.. possibly make a panel that blends better. More pressing things to dwell on right now, so gonna keep moving.

I also mounted up the OE metal wiper and turn stalks, column surround and put the dash back together. Confirmed the turn signals work and the high beam function works on the stalks. Slowly becoming a real car again

Cleaned up the floors of all the crap, wiring scraps, etc and loomed up the air line and wiring a little better. I am pushing to try and mount the carpet back in the car this weekend. I wanna bask in that orange goodness!

Vehicles
      project central
      03-06-2012 11:03 PM #1323

i still am amazed at how quickly you get **** done.
      Quote Originally Posted by 2mAn View Post
      go crash into a hybrid
      For powder coating and fabrication ---> www.roguemetalworks.com
      IG- Roguemetal

Vehicles
      84 VW Rabbit GTI, 84 VW Jetta Coupe
      03-06-2012 11:40 PM #1324
      The headliner is tits!

Vehicles
      Grabber Blue and German rust
      03-06-2012 11:42 PM #1325
      I like this spot for the valves, but you may find that you want to add another couple of paddle valves in to have independent control to each corner. Forgive me if you already know this, but by sharing the same valve between 2 bags you allow to transfer air from one to the side to the other. Simply put, when going around a corner the air will move to one side of the car (raising pressure) while dropping pressure on the other side of the car. My experience with air suspension has been with cars that have a bit more weight than a Rabbit, but you will still experience increased slop in corners with just a front/back setup, although how much is debatable. Loving the build, looking forward to seeing it finished
      Quote Originally Posted by SGLoki View Post
      Mk1people > Mkrestofpeople.
      Quote Originally Posted by unleashedd View Post
      wow this has escalatored quickly. dude now has vr6 up front, w8 out back, he's crying metal tears, and people are demanding consumption of feces... i dont know whats real anymore!

Page 53 of 77 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast