Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little Space for the Aviation and Space Forum: Why Big Bang/Dark Energy/Dark Matter?

Vehicles
      1996 GTI hoopty
      02-29-2012 08:43 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Geekengineer View Post
      More on topic... this video freaks me out. The idea that every single electron in the universe is in harmony with every other electron in the universe... ugh, my head, it splodes!
      Mine exploded a number of years ago when I started reading Kaku on string theory. This is a speedbump in my journey to try to understand a small portion of this scientific field.
      It seems the government is currently saying, "While we're conducting this unspecified, unwarranted surveillance, we're totally thinking about how to not violate the 4th Amendment that we're currently violating. Because terrorism."

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      03-31-2012 01:07 AM #37
      So, data are arriving from the BOSS measurements, and so far confirm the "concordance" model - a virtually flat universe and dark energy that acts like the cosmological constant in Einstein's field equations.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0330081844.htm

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      04-03-2012 12:11 PM #38
      "It feels to me like we're inventing things to fit our observations akin to how we stuck to the idea of an earth centered system for so long"

The explanation which is supported by evidence is the correct one.

"The thing is that the way we currently explain it answers a lot of questions and allows us to do a lot of things that we otherwise wouldn't be able to do. So, you can't just go and throw out the current theories until something better comes along"

And since the current theories we have are supported by evidence, they will not be replaced. They may be expanded upon or modified in some fashion. Just because you've developed a tool to gather more/different evidence does not make the evidence that you've already collected invalid.

Most of that has already been said. I just wanted to reiterate and also subscribe for more legitimate discussion.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

4. 04-11-2012 03:54 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      While we're on the subject:

A Higgs boson walks into a church. One parishioner whispers to another, "What's he doing here?" The second parishioner whispers back, "you know we can't have mass without him."

Say that joke on any bar and most likely the reaction you would get is something like "This idiot thinks he's funny."

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      04-14-2012 06:59 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by vivian901212 View Post
      The Unabomber, in his manifesto, wrote basically that all scientists are doing is pursuing their own ego's, and doing vastly less than it seems to help society. Take it as you will, he was crazy but he was very smart.
      Or, alternatively, given his own history and psychotic problems, he could not fathom that there are many scientists out there who don't give a **** about what their peers think (in terms of rating them), or how much their latest work will advance them (there really isn't much to advance to, anyway) --- but rather are focused on creativity and results.

6. 05-07-2012 05:41 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by FigureFive View Post
      Yeah, been there. I'm talking science here, not mythology, which is all religion really is.
      great topic.
      Many answers are still to be told, however we will not find them all.
      Gen 1 does talk about science, however you have to have an understanding. Claiming its mythology is doing what you mentioned in your first post, taking what the given understanding is and applying it.
      We are just inventing things to accomodate our ignorance, and so is saying Gen is mythology. Religion is just a hoax, but truth is consistent.
      you're on the right track. The universe is older than we can dare to dream. It is farther than we will ever see in this life. good read, thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12