Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Just thought I would share.. POWDER COATING

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      10-28-2011 12:02 PM #36
      Some BMW work---

2. Member
      10-28-2011 01:31 PM #37
      This guy talked my ear off about doing all his coating for his BMW parts he resells and I haven't gotten a single piece from him. He told me he could keep me busy for awhile with all the stuff he has.....Still waiting for that haha

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      10-28-2011 01:45 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by harlequin80 View Post
      This guy talked my ear off about doing all his coating for his BMW parts he resells and I haven't gotten a single piece from him. He told me he could keep me busy for awhile with all the stuff he has.....Still waiting for that haha
      I cannot tell you how many calls and emails I get with the promises of endless work! Then never hear from them again--lmao. Most I think are looking for a deal on one job and think they'll get the super discount if they promise you the world...but I don't bend...this shop gave me like 30pieces on the first trip so obviously I worked a deal with them--then when I brought the stuff back he paid me right away and said--"I can't let you leave empty handed." and dug up another pile of parts...that's my idea of a great customer...
      With the economy in the toilet there are a lot of tire kickers out there..as I saw a statement on the coating forums..and you'll understand it..
      "They want champagne on a beer budget!" hahaha..

4. Member
      10-28-2011 02:07 PM #39
      yeah trust me i get it a lot

them: Can you do two tone jobs
      me: yeah but you probably wont want to spend that much.
      them: how much for some 17s face 1 color recesses another
      Me: $450+ depending on the colors/wheel
      them: How much in a single color?
      me: $300
      them: ok ill just do them all 1 color

i have 1 guy trying to talk me down on my price to coat his wheels. i told him the price, he told me XXX will do it for XXX. i said ok, take em there, i know the quality of my work and its worth XXX.

he is still trying to talk me into doing them for less because he doesnt want to drive to XXX and its more convenient to come here. not my problem.

Vehicles
      MKiv GLX VR6
      11-02-2011 08:46 PM #40
      Love your work! Might be hitting you up soon... in the process of building an oven.

What type of gun are you using?

VRalliance #199

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      11-02-2011 10:46 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by LuEdaGreat View Post
      Love your work! Might be hitting you up soon... in the process of building an oven.

What type of gun are you using?

Thanks---
      Gun is top of the line--- WAGNER Prima Sprint
      When I started coating(for myself) I was using an Eastwood Hobby gun,then moved up a notch to a better gun--then the WAGNER...Best investment I ever made!

Vehicles
      MKiv GLX VR6
      11-03-2011 01:38 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by deeeGLI View Post
      Thanks---
      Gun is top of the line--- WAGNER Prima Sprint
      When I started coating(for myself) I was using an Eastwood Hobby gun,then moved up a notch to a better gun--then the WAGNER...Best investment I ever made!
      Investment indeed!

Hopefully I get there soon. First I need a big oven, sand blasting cabinet is almost complete.

What's your source for powder?
      VRalliance #199

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      11-03-2011 05:17 PM #43
      Some more random stuff.....

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      11-03-2011 05:21 PM #44

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      11-09-2011 08:37 PM #45
      Some two tone wheels...wish I had a before pic of these they were pretty messed up..tires were reverse mounted on machine so the lips were all gouged. Curb damage that would make you cringe...lol some grinding,a little welding,more grinding and a little filler with primer before coating the whole wheel with silver,masked lips then coated in gold and finally coated clear on whole wheel...

Pic of one of the "Awareness wheels" some might have seen these on an E30 BMW at the Harrisburg Pa Toys for Tots drive...

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      11-16-2011 07:30 PM #46
      BBS centers in Almond with clear.....

BBS in a Baby Blue with clear...

12. Member
      11-16-2011 10:11 PM #47
      You're work is on point. I wish i could mask that clean. That is why I wont two tone wheels right now

Vehicles
      1981 Lago Blue bunny
      11-17-2011 08:57 AM #48
      Bump for Dave and my Blue Rm's..

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      11-17-2011 10:27 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by mattgrayvw View Post
      Bump for Dave and my Blue Rm's..
      Thanks Matt---I hope you like them...I know I do..always enjoy doing colors other than BlacK!

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      11-17-2011 08:04 PM #50
      Candy Yellow

Peugeot Bike parts
      Yellow/Green and Sky Blue

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      11-18-2011 05:11 PM #51
      makes me want to start powder coating, but I don't have the time or money
      plus I'd be buying stuff just to PC it haha
      Seriously some great work though
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      11-18-2011 08:12 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by FACTORYBOOST View Post
      makes me want to start powder coating, but I don't have the time or money
      plus I'd be buying stuff just to PC it haha
      Seriously some great work though
      Been there done that---can't tell you how much stuff around my house is powder coated now...

Thanks for the compliments..

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      11-24-2011 11:44 PM #53
      Harley Cover..coated in Black,masked Airbrushed Hot rod style flames then Clear coated(powder).
      Clear coat has a small red and silver flake in it to give a little sparkle.

Mountain bike frame for a builder in my area..This is kind of a goldish/brass candy over a heavy silver base with a clear coat.

Vehicles
      1981 Lago Blue bunny
      12-01-2011 11:48 AM #54
      Dave's work is great. Highly recommend to anyone, sent my wheels to him and had them back within a week and a half only cause they needed some repair work. The quality is top notch!! Bump it up

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      12-02-2011 09:00 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by mattgrayvw View Post
      Dave's work is great. Highly recommend to anyone, sent my wheels to him and had them back within a week and a half only cause they needed some repair work. The quality is top notch!! Bump it up
      Thanks Matt--appreciate the good word....
      BTW--wheels look great with the fresh lips and center caps..look forward to seeing the complete project..

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      12-03-2011 10:52 PM #56
      Some more...first pic is a before..hahaha
      and I apologize if my photos are kinda ****ty..I need some training in the photography dept...
      BEFORE

AFTER--Two tone silver lip,metallic gray centers and clear over all.

Some custom BMW valve covers for my friends at Guten...machined lettering outsourced and I did the polish and coating.
      http://www.gutenparts.com/

Some custom made BMW E30 strut bars

BMW intake manifold...polished fins,hand painted emblem,silver base and clear coat over all...matte black brackets.

Another BMW cover.. wrinkle black.

Current refinish project..BEFORE PIC.

Where I'm at right now...Black barrels,silver centers,gold bolts clear over all and working on polishing the lips then reassemble...will post finished pics when I'm done...
      Last edited by deeeGLI; 12-03-2011 at 10:55 PM.

22. Member
      12-05-2011 06:55 PM #57
      Good god dude. Your 2 tone stuff looks factory. How do you get such perfect lines??

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      12-05-2011 10:43 PM #58
      Good god dude. Your 2 tone stuff looks factory. How do you get such perfect lines??
      Thanks man....always appreciate the compliments.
      Practice and patience and good music.....are the biggest factors.
      I think I have roughly about an hour a wheel in masking the most recent two tone wheels..
      And the valve covers I think is about an hour a piece on masking an cutting out the lettering...

You gotta practice dude...I saw the 16v manifold you did..it came out sweet...

24. Member
      12-05-2011 10:47 PM #59
      So what do you charge to do something like that? 1hr of masking per wheel seems like a hell of a lot of time haha

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      12-06-2011 12:03 AM #60
      So what do you charge to do something like that? 1hr of masking per wheel seems like a hell of a lot of time haha
      Well, I'm not gonna give you prices...hahahaha
      And most of the time everything I do is a little different than the rest---price wise...
      I will tell you that my prices are very reasonabe...
      I look at it like this....the economy blows and people are broke and jobless or at the least don't have a fortune in savings...
      However...no matter how broke people are they still wanna hook up their stuff or have nice things..so...by adjusting my pricing to be lower and reasonable I have a very steady flow of work...
      Am I getting rich?--NOPE not at all...and don't really care to be.. My profit margin may be a little lower than most shops that go for the homerun on every customer..but my overall shop flow is very steady...

26. Member
      12-06-2011 12:06 AM #61
      Well, I'm not gonna give you prices...hahahaha
      And most of the time everything I do is a little different than the rest---price wise...
      I will tell you that my prices are very reasonabe...
      I look at it like this....the economy blows and people are broke and jobless or at the least don't have a fortune in savings...
      However...no matter how broke people are they still wanna hook up their stuff or have nice things..so...by adjusting my pricing to be lower and reasonable I have a very steady flow of work...
      Am I getting rich?--NOPE not at all...and don't really care to be.. My profit margin may be a little lower than most shops that go for the homerun on every customer..but my overall shop flow is very steady...
      dude you could tell me you charge $100 to do it and it wouldn't matter to me, i am not doing that type of work. it is way more involved than i want to get into right now (at least a yr or so off from messing with that stuff)

ill send people to you to have stuff done.....

i do wheels for 225-350 a set....all single stage colors. if you are charging less than that, i dunno what to say lol

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      12-06-2011 12:50 PM #62
      dude you could tell me you charge $100 to do it and it wouldn't matter to me, i am not doing that type of work. it is way more involved than i want to get into right now (at least a yr or so off from messing with that stuff)

ill send people to you to have stuff done.....

i do wheels for 225-350 a set....all single stage colors. if you are charging less than that, i dunno what to say lol
      Nah not less than that....I wouldn't be able to eat then..
      I think what you charge for single stage is pretty good..competitive. I myself clear coat everything unless the customer doesn't want it or it's a wrinkle or texture. It just looks better and holds up better.
      I don't mean to be so non-informative...
      I have a few coaters that always want detailed information on how I do stuff or where I get stuff or what I charge etc... And I don't mind helping out or giving tips..but it seems like you give one thing to someone it opens the door for some reason..
      And I went through all this on my own....research,oven and booth build,trial and error with powder suppliers...I didn't go down to the guy coating 20mins from me and say "hey,can you show me how to do everything."
      I don't mind the whole "Brothers in arms" thing...but damn you gotta figure some things out on your own...and this is in no way directed to you..just so you know...

And as a confidence booster for...I'll tell you this..don't think that everything I coat or anyone else coats comes out perfect on the first attempt...I screw stuff up probably just as much as the next guy...the difference? I don't say Fu@k it and just give it to the customer..I redo it till it's right. For example I have a mountain bike frame here for a builder that gives me 10-12frames a month...and this one frame for whatever reason is kicking my arse..I've stripped it 3 times to redo..but I wanna make sure the guy gets the quality he's looking for..good quality..happy customer..more frames...so I lose on this one time wise..but will get it back in the long run...
      Anyone that tells you their stuff is always perfect is full of sh!t...
      Last edited by deeeGLI; 12-06-2011 at 12:59 PM.

28. Member
      12-06-2011 01:14 PM #63
      Im the same way with the quality part. I had to redo that intake manifold 3 times before it came out to where I was happy with it. The person I did it for saw it and said he was happy with it to. I always tell people to look stuff over, let me know if they are or are not happy and I will try to fix whatever it is that may be wrong but once it leaves there isn't much I can do about it.

I understand the not giving out to much info thing. I just figured I would be able to give people a ball park range to have them take it to you. If you have Facebook message me with your contact info and ill add you so i can refer people for that kind of work. I dunno if you are interested but a guy I know is going to start doing Hydrographics soon.

Vehicles
      98 Passat, 92 GTI
      12-10-2011 05:34 PM #64
      Awesome work here! It seems to me the "little guys" quality exceeds that of the big companies. Keep up the great work!

I notice some of the wheels have center caps done in the matching colors. If I am not mistaken, they are plastic?? Were they color matched with paint or is the plastic durable enough to bake?

Thanks in advance...

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      12-10-2011 09:58 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by mkiigolf View Post
      Awesome work here! It seems to me the "little guys" quality exceeds that of the big companies. Keep up the great work!

I notice some of the wheels have center caps done in the matching colors. If I am not mistaken, they are plastic?? Were they color matched with paint or is the plastic durable enough to bake?

Thanks in advance...
      Thanks for the compliments...I myself consider myself more of a "custom" coater..instead of just a regular coat shop. I do more custom masking,two tone,unique stuff than you will see from your run of the mill coater. Don't get me wrong though, I do plenty of just regular stuff as well. I just don't get into large quantity production jobs...that kind of work is for the larger shops that just shoot and bake and really don't care about quality..

And as far as your question about center caps...
      The Audi "pie plates" that are grey faced and blue/purple between the spokes..I removed the tin chrome ring from the center cap and color matched it in powder then reassembled..this was done to kinda blend the face with the center cap.
      Some "plastics" can be powder coated as well as wood and glass..there is just some different techniques to doing this successfully...
      I have a set of stock 5spoke Audi wheels on my Passat wagon and the factory center caps are powder coated to match the color I coated the wheels..
      I have also powder coated a few "plastic" intake manifolds and a couple other things.
      I'm trying to get some junk plastic VW valve covers(mk5?) or intake manifolds like off an "R" or a 24v Vr..to test some things out. Just because it looks and feels plastic doesn't mean it is...most "plastic" intake manifolds or valve covers are actually made of Nylon or glass filled Nylon and they have a much higher melt point than say ABS plastic...Every plastic part made has a code stamped into it and I have a chart that lists melt points and such...
      Oh and a couple of the other center caps you see color matched are actually custom made aluminum discs that were coated and the glued to the plastic base of the the center cap...most of the little discs in the caps are just glued in and can be removed with patience..then I just make new discs out of aluminum and coat them...
      Hope I didn't type too much...
      And again thanks for looking!

And a pic for those who don't wanna read...hahaha
      These were done awhile ago..but one of my favorites..awesome color..someone else was looking at them on my website..so I figured I'd put them up..

Last edited by deeeGLI; 12-10-2011 at 10:10 PM.

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      12-12-2011 11:42 AM #66
      These were done awhile ago..but one of my favorites..awesome color..someone else was looking at them on my website..so I figured I'd put them up..

Seeing a close up makes me want to get those wheels to you ASAP!
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      12-12-2011 09:55 PM #67
      Hahaha--Thanks F.BOOST

33. Member
      12-12-2011 10:45 PM #68
      What top coat is that? I did a heel guard for a bike in black 20% and then shot an amethyst top coat and it looks similar

Vehicles
      90'GLI,02GLX,07 B6 Wagon
      12-13-2011 12:55 AM #69
      What top coat is that? I did a heel guard for a bike in black 20% and then shot an amethyst top coat and it looks similar
      Chameleon Cherry/Violet

35. Member
      12-13-2011 02:00 AM #70
      i wish more people wanted unusual finishes......im tired of black, white and silver

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast