VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Daytime Running Lights

35K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Serialshagster 
#1 ·
I have read previous posts regarding disabling the daytime running lights. I would rather not bend back the prong. Can you pull a fuse or is there another easy way to disable the DRL on a 2012 Passat? Thank you for your help.

#5 ·
Not to be a d**k, but leave them alone. Probably the cheapest safety device on the car. I'm sure you've had the same experience I have: poor weather conditions, dusk or early dawn light and consequent issues seeing oncoming traffic, particularly when turning to enter or leave a road, merging into traffic at ramps, etc.
The whole point of DRLs is to ensure that your vehicle is visible and avoid these issues, and they work.
Also, consider your liability if you're in an accident and the other party makes the case that your disabling the DRLs contributed to the accident.
As an aside, on my MK3 Jetta the DRLs illuminated the taillights as well as the headlights, and I wish they'd put that on all cars. That's also why Euros have rear foglights.

#25 ·
Is there no Scandinavian DRL Option in vag-com for the B7? That'll have the tails on if I am correct. And I actually like DRLs, just not the ones that come stock in the B6, literally it's just your headlights on all the time. Not good for HID life. I am more for the OEM looking LED DRLs but I know there are people who don't care for it...a few pics of mine just for fun

#13 ·
Thanks, I already tried that. When I took it to the dealer, the sales rep also tried doing it and it didn't work. The service technician was reluctant to turn off the DRL even though I was insisting I didn't want them. I was just looking for an easy fix, I appreciate all of the suggestions though.

#15 ·
What are the negatives for having DRLs? I agree with the earlier stated safety advantages of DRLs and since they aren't using the main headlight bulb, why would I want them disabled?

#17 ·
Car looks better without them. Anybody figure this out?

#19 ·
i noticed the manual referenced that but mine doesn't have the option in the menu. I tried the turn signal high beam ignition on thing and that didn't work either.

#20 ·
By enabling Byte 15 bit 7 in the BCM I got this nice menu option in the MFD:

You can also change the DRLs to only come on when the headlight switch is set to auto by checking Byte 26 Bit 3:

Compu_85 posted this on TDIclub and this is how I enabled it my convenience settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Thanks. 6F isn't giving me the love. Cannot find it. Strange. Wondering if I should just do a euro-switch and wondering if that will get rid of them.

#23 ·
Nevermind... I was looking in the wrong place. Got the DRL option in the MFI now. Thanks!

#22 ·
This all seems amazing what you can do with these computers. What is Vag-Com? I have a Launch X431 if that means anything. I'm new to the B7. I've always had older cars that had no computers to screw but everything uses a ****ing computer now and its somewhat complicated. What do I need to do in order to this? And what else can I do with this Vag-Com and can my Launch do the same?

#24 ·
NP

#27 ·
I'm not exactly sure how it would be done because I have not seen a parts diagram for the emergency brake mechanism, but...I recently noticed my DRL's only go off when the emergency brake is engaged, pulled in the upright position. If you could figure out how they are connected to one another, you could reroute that connection to your headlight switch or incorporate a totally different switch for the DRL's. I do not have any open slots to add anymore factory style switches in my 2017 R-Line, but you may. That may give you total control you are looking for, if you can figure out how the DRL's correlate with the emergency brake. Good luck!
P.S.- I live in Delaware, which is crazy flat so less then 5 percent of the people I know use their emergency brake here, so I thought there was no way to turn them off at all!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.