Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Automatic Transmission Will Not Shift When In 'Drive' Gear

1. 10-10-2011 03:50 AM #1
      A friend has a 98 golf that wont shift in "D" (drive) gear but when you manually shift the gears, it is fine. Is the transmission on its way out or is it a sensor(s) that needs to be replaced? Does it just need a filter change and fluid flush? Any help would be appreciated.

2. 10-10-2011 05:57 PM #3
      Update: I guess they did a transmission flush and possibly overfilled it. When in drive, it does not upshift, but will work when shifting manually. Any input is appreciated.

Vehicles
      Indian Red
      10-10-2011 08:43 PM #4
      Its done. Find a good used one. Or do what everyone else does and 5 lug swap it.

I have only seen a hand full of auto o2o that last more than 150k
      I would rather lose by a mile because I built my own car than win by an inch because someone built it for me

4. 10-11-2011 02:52 PM #5
      I suspected that, but it was in working order prior to the fluid change. I was thinking that the trans. was in limp mode due to under/over fill of fluid, or a sensor.

5. 10-11-2011 03:16 PM #6
      What exactly do you mean that it doesn't shift in drive? Is it stuck in 1st or some other gear?

I bet a lot of people think their auto transmission is gone when it starts acting up, but the electronics play a pretty big role. I had a similar problem where my car went into limp mode. It was stuck in third and would not upshift. I was on a road trip and it eventually got so bad that it would barely shift out of any gear without revving super high. I could get it to upshift only by coasting from 80MPH+ and it would shift around 60MPH, but then go back into 3rd unless I feathered it lightly. Kept throwing codes related to the throttle body.

My problem was an incompatible throttle body. My original stopped adapting and was giving me similar shift problems, so I swapped before the trip. It was fine for about 300 miles and then the replacement wouldn't adapt. I ended up swapping the original back in and it has been fine since. The only other thing that was suspect was the main engine harness connector having oil on it and not being fully seated.

BTW, I also did a fluid/filter change right after I got home, and it did not solve the problem. The only thing that solved it was the TB/engine harness. Mine kept saying "ERROR" or "Unavailable" when trying to adapt and then it wouldn't give signals for when to shift.

This is the same PDF for 01m's that I have: http://www.veedubz.co.za/tech/VW%20H...%20-%2001M.pdf

Mine kept throwing something for the throttle angle and it has a procedure for testing with Vag-COM.

I have 4 autos...one with over 300k(096), another with over 170k(01M), another with 130K(096), and another with 120k(01M). None have blown up yet and all shift fine.
      Last edited by zero.; 10-11-2011 at 03:33 PM.

6. 10-11-2011 04:34 PM #7
      It will not upshift and I believe it remains in 1st gear.

7. 10-11-2011 04:54 PM #8
      How much fluid was put in during the change? Max capacity is 3.0 liters on refill and like 5 completely dry. Was the final drive gear oil checked too? Any codes? I'd try looking at it with Vag-COM and checking the solenoid valves and upshift values. You can also take readings off the TCM harness to make sure everything electrical is good. It's located under the rear seat.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      93 VW Passat Glx
      11-12-2011 10:20 AM #9
      I have a 93 passat vr6. The transmission didnt shift right when in drive as well, but manually it would work just fine has been that way for about 30000 miles. One day i cleaned the pluggs on the sensor it started working again. What i have come to find that it is the speed senor in the transmission. The only reason i am saying this is after it started working again its been about 5000 miles now but just recently the speedometer stopped working the dash says drive all the time from point of starting until shutting it off. Now it will again shift up until drive but will not shift back out of drive to you have came to a complete stop. Very frustrating . But unless other problems transmission still has life left in it.

Vehicles
      95 2.0 turbo, 97 vr6
      11-12-2011 10:45 AM #10
      speed sensor
      OG suede

I survived epic thread 2011 never forget 11/11/11
      Quote Originally Posted by vastxpunk View Post
      You have a harness you forgot to plug back in, and you want to know where it goes? Back where you found it would be my guess..

10. Member
      Vehicles
      03 Jetta, 06 Jetta(current), 02 Passat, 94 Golf, 05 Jetta, 95 Jetta, 86 Golf Wolfsburg
      02-07-2012 07:37 AM #11
      is the 096 auto transmission more reliable than the o2o?

11. 02-07-2012 01:25 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by PG MK5 View Post
      is the 096 auto transmission more reliable than the o2o?
      Comparing auto to manual, auto is technically more reliable because you never have to replace any parts like the clutch, shifter linkage, etc. If you meant 096 vs. 01M, 01M is said to be better due to better electronics and torque converter clutch, however I think the valve bodies on them are more prone to failure. I personally liked my 096 better.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      93 Golf,96 ,00 Oddessey,89 Nissan Hardbody
      03-29-2012 12:11 AM #13
      Speed sensor needs changing

13. 07-08-2013 01:42 AM #14
      I have one 95 VW GOLF which has only 15,000 kms all genuine mileage. Recently the car would stop suddenly and wont start (but will crank ) i found the problem in crank sensor (3 wires were touching each other) and then go it replaced. The car started fine , then the new problem developed! The car will go directly to 3rd gear and will not shift. I replaced TCU , speed senosr (two of them on top the transmission), ignition coil, etc. It does not help, each day it genegrates new code, now i have TPS short to ground, vehicle speed sensors. I check manually the TPS wire leading back to ECU harness, all intact.
      Any idea leading to solving this issue will be highly appreciated.