Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: class action against VW for timing chain problem

Vehicles
      2007 C2 turbo rabbit
      12-28-2011 01:27 PM #26
      65K is where you'd be replacing the timing chain on many other VWs especially the vr6. At least VW bothered to fix it in later models. Suck it up and well welcome to the wonderful world of german cars

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G Shift using Tapatalk
      -2007 Rabbit 2.5::: Denvers: smoked clear sides: Textured GTI rear lower: Magnaflow exhaust: Techtonics High Flow Cat: Podi Boost Guage: VEI Dual Display Gauge Oil Pressure/ AFR: C2 Stg 2 turbo: Turbo XS MBC: Forge 007 DV : o2j swap: Quaife LSD: Southbend Stg 3 clutch, single mass flywheel
      On deck::AEM w/m kit:: BSH mounts

Vehicles
      06 Sage Green Rabbit | 03 Passat V6 4-Motion sedan
      12-28-2011 04:26 PM #27
      Uhhhh...what? Can you explain to me what Vws youre talking about that have their timing chains or belts replaced at 65k cause I dont know of any, especially a Vr6? Vr6 timing chains go well over 100k before they even start making any noise usually. 2.0 8v is recommended around 85k, same with the 1.8t I believe but that doesnt mean it needs to be done. They will and can last longer but its better not to push it with a belt. Alls I said is that it sucks that some of us with the earlier engines have to worry about the chains going bad prematurely because of a design flaw that VW fails to recognize, not really complaining about it. This motor has been great and Im sure will be for many more miles to come. I know all about owning German cars alright, thats all Ive ever driven since I owned a car and thats all my entire family has ever owned.
      http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/d...abbit%20build/
      06 Sage Green Rabbit 5spd| UM SRI | UM 93 SRI tune | NLS Cai | Custom exhaust | USP testpipe | ECS crank pulley | BSH mounts |034 Dogbone core| NLS SS w/42DD bushings | GTI brake swap | Jom coilovers w/034 strut mounts | GTI rear sway |

Vehicles
      11 GTI 73 volksrod 73 standard
      12-28-2011 05:01 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackRabbit2point5 View Post
      65K is where you'd be replacing the timing chain on many other VWs especially the vr6. At least VW bothered to fix it in later models. Suck it up and well welcome to the wonderful world of german cars

Normally the rubber timing belts have service intervals of 60-80k. Chains usually last at least 100k, and its usually the crappy plastic guide that dies first, causing the chain to stretch. I don't know where you heard vr6 chains weren't reliable, but that is wrong . I've seen vr's with chain noise at 200k plus that started at 90k and it still didn't jump timing.

Vehicles
      68 Porsche 912, 02 CLK 430, 05 VW Jetta 2.5L
      12-28-2011 10:46 PM #29
      I too have owned nothing but German cars as well as my family. I have owned all kinds of german cars: VW, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and Audi. Timing chains should last 100k. I agree that cheap plastic guides are the problem that causes the eventual stretch and failure of the Timing Chain. I am glad that I was able to get VW to take care of the problem, however, it took persistance on my part and not taking "no" for an answer.

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      12-28-2011 11:24 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackRabbit2point5 View Post

That's a bunch of BS. Early VRs had an upper tensioner rail that could wear out and on mine (an early-style) it was just starting to wear through at 125k. Later VRs had an improved upper tensioner rail and could last even longer before any issues. Chain issues on VRs are way more overrated than people make them out to be.
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Jetta 2.5L
      12-29-2011 11:15 AM #31
      I get the feeling this 2.5L is a somewhat over-rated issue as well, to say its "consistently" an issue with 05.5 & 06 models would imply that nearly every unit sold is experiencing failures. This seems to be more a case of a few failures and then news spreads like wild-fire and everybody joins in on a lynch mob.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying VW should do nothing with the cases of chain related issues, i agree that it should be covered in full should it happen, and that some of these failures are happening prematurely. But to say it is a rampant issue with every vehicle is going a little far.

I'll also admit these stories do have me a little paranoid with my Jetta but i have had no issues thus far and i'm not babying it just because of possible issues.

My 2 cents, if you're paranoid, pop your upper chain cover off and take a look or go have it checked out. And like previously stated in this and other threads regarding this, if you buy new chains and guides to do a timing chain job, you're getting revised pieces so the issue won't occur again.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 jetta
      05-01-2012 01:32 AM #32
      I'll sign...130k miles and engine light just came on....dealerships says stretched chain. Thought the chains are better then belts?? Chains are suppose to out last he car??? Bulls@&t......

8. 05-01-2012 09:25 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by kingrick570 View Post
      I'll sign...130k miles and engine light just came on....dealerships says stretched chain. Thought the chains are better then belts?? Chains are suppose to out last he car??? Bulls@&t......
      Yeah, no kidding. I'm at 140k km and mine is going.

Vehicles
      2005.5 5MT Jetta MKV --- 2012 6MT Jetta SportWagen TDI
      05-01-2012 09:51 AM #34
      I was at 86K miles when mine went. I am currently in the process of getting it repaired.

I would gladly sign a petition.

Vehicles
      MKVI GLI + Rabbit
      05-01-2012 10:45 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by tchilds View Post

Its amazing how VW builds amazing economy motor offered across the board, the TDI, and not one person cares.
      the problem with the TDI though is it's price. i'd trade my rabbit in a split second for one of the 2010+ golf TDI's but they're so damn expensive at around $23K without accessories such as leather. i spend about $250/month and up in gas for my job, but the difference in my monthly car payment wouldn't be able to justify the money saved on gas....
      2006 GLI / 2008 Rabbit - United Motorsports (used to be Flex Fuel)
      Quote Originally Posted by pete@blackforest View Post
      I remember when people modified their Volkswagen to enhance the driving experience. What ever happened to Fahrvergnugen?
      Bags are for kids that grew up watching Pimp My Ride. Turbo is for all of us that enjoy actual motorsport.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12