Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duetto; Motivate me

1. 10-11-2011 07:16 AM #1
      The Duetto has sat, accumulating dust and additional microns of rust for 12 months now, whilst i buy the odd shiny thing from Alfaholics & ClassicAlfa etc.

It's not (really) a matter of money.. more a case of time management and me wanting to be involved in her (??) rebirth. I've sourced OEM panels to replace anything with a dent, rust or hysterical welding (all floors, nose, that arch, the boot).

I stand at the crossroads of paint removal.

Complete dip immersion (Alkaline) by Redistrip in NSW (est. $3K) or a professional sandblast for the chasssis and dip anything that bolts off here in Qld.. it's about twice as much for the redistrip ($not an issue), more a logistical get it to Sydney thing. Some people hate dipping, personally i like the idea of converting all rust in the seams to metal and etch coating the #uck out of anything that was joined.

And then what colour.. i hate red.. somebody give me a 60's sky blue (maserati) metallic that will pop the curves (a bit like the BMW x5?!). Do i flick the original 1600 twin carb for a 2L twinspark (already bought).

too may reds tonight
      should be doing the 2012 OP plan.
      or shagging a gradaute
      Last edited by craig_m5; 11-20-2011 at 05:05 AM.

2. 10-11-2011 08:00 AM #2
      you like pinot?

3. 10-11-2011 08:09 AM #3
      *L*.. it's a french Bordeaux.. no doubt something to do with me faffing about with the whilte balance on the camera (neon1)... see, still procrastinating !!

4. 11-12-2011 09:40 AM #4
      Some progress. I pulled apart the drivers door as it had a large dent and kilograms of bog upsetting the delicate balance of the vehicle. I hand prepped the frame but was unhappy with the flash rust in the cavities I couldn't get into. I had the frame (alkaline) dipped then lightly blasted. The skin (new original tooling) was hand prepped before everything was epoxy primed.

I'm chuffed to bits, looks great.
      I'm planning on using 3M epoxy to put this back together.. Just like a big airfix

This is the paint I am working with... and the reason we're going back to metal for those of you who said "roll it as it is".. It's been rolled, passed to the left and smoked for far too long, trust me.

Bonnet and scuttle are off for the same treatment as the door.
      The nose and wings are next although they're spot welded on.
      ... I need to update Ways "what have you bought thread" with an spanking new AEG sawzall

Last edited by craig_m5; 11-12-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      11-12-2011 02:12 PM #5
      Yes to the twinspark. You'll no doubt miss the 1600, but the electronic ignition will make the car much easier to live with.

That door looks awesome. If you can finish the whole of the car to that standard, it's going to be a cracker.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      That looks like something from their Prep Boy f@ggot collection.
      Quote Originally Posted by smarm View Post
      Can you give me a heads up when that hits the market.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      11-12-2011 06:52 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by mdt View Post
      That door looks awesome. If you can finish the whole of the car to that standard, it's going to be a cracker.
      I concur.

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      11-13-2011 03:15 AM #7
      Just keep plugging away at it. I've pulled the Imp out and will get it registered for the first time in 4 years, excited me just doing a shakedown around the block.

It will improve your life to go for a drive now and then in this!

I like your approach!

8. 11-20-2011 04:30 AM #8
      Princess Amidala, your '66 Alfa Duetto awaits.

Looks cool in polished metal.. Maybe I should go all Harrods Sheik and paint it in that Mercedes liquid metal (stuff).

No damage in this door (yay)
      some damage above that wheel arch (yay)

Kilograms of bog gone.. silicosis here I come
      Last edited by craig_m5; 11-21-2011 at 02:28 AM.

9. 11-22-2011 07:59 AM #9
      More bits back from the dipper today, scuttle looks new
      Bonnet on the other hand appears to have been bump parked and/or shagged on for 46 years
      Looking to replace with new if I can find one.

Last edited by craig_m5; 11-22-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Vehicles
      MKVI Golf GTI - MKVI Polo TSI
      11-25-2011 03:40 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by craig_m5 View Post
      Princess Amidala, your '66 Alfa Duetto awaits.

Looks cool in polished metal.. Maybe I should go all Harrods Sheik and paint it in that Mercedes liquid metal (stuff).

No damage in this door (yay)
      some damage above that wheel arch (yay)

Kilograms of bog gone.. silicosis here I come
      You are wearing dust masks (or at least a hankie) aren't you

And those lovely rims need to come off and go under the bed until all of the grinding, tool dropping, liquid splashing is finished, stick some old runners on it for the resto.

Are you going to glue the door panels together?? Is that a new tequnique (for this car) or is it a modern improvisation????

Lovely to see, keep the updates coming.

11. 11-25-2011 05:14 AM #11
      *L*.. it's a french Bordeaux..
      Just as well you clarified, we could have become confused that it was a Peruvian Bordeaux instead...

12. 11-25-2011 06:47 AM #12
      Yep, using a mask.. and glasses, of sorts. The thongs were a bad idea..

Glueing (epoxying) panels on is a modern technique. Originally the car was held together with numerous spot welds, lead wiped between joints and of course factory rust in all box sections (no primer!).

I've got some 3M epoxy for the skins and will seam weld everywhere for strength. The epoxy glues come in different strengths etc and can be stronger than welding in some cases (my welds for instance ). I'll probably do a mix with the wings and nose, pretty sure they're not (too) structural. In fact I was planning to epoxy in/on all panels, floors etc and the seam weld. Although this might affect front and rear crumple zones... Yes, this car is Alfas first car to be designed with crumple zones (on purpose )

Yes I'm making it all up...

Have ordered two new front wings and outer sills. Might as well do this properly

13. 12-05-2011 07:07 AM #13
      Which have now arrived, lines so sharp i promptly cut my freakin finger (bastard)
      wonder if I can get this done before Lima gets his car back

Oh, and I tracked down an original perfect boot/trunk lid, these are made of unobtanium..The most expensive bit yet (yay!)

Merry Christmas - nobody tell Cathy
      Last edited by craig_m5; 12-05-2011 at 07:12 AM.

14. 01-09-2012 01:13 AM #14
      .... and a new bonnet to replace the original which had been abused and slathered with bog by a bastard '70s panel beater, perhaps i could wrap it in carbon fibre

Side by side shot - they changed the frame structure after mine. The OCD alfanazi purists will have a fit that i'm not reskining this with recylced original russian steel hand stretched by italian virgins... can't afford them - all this is getting out of hand (could have bought a Panerai by now).

Did Liam get his car back yet - how much more time do i have
      Last edited by craig_m5; 01-09-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      01-11-2012 05:54 AM #15
      Side by side shot - they changed the frame structure after mine. The OCD alfanazi purists will have a fit that i'm not reskining this with recylced original russian steel hand stretched by italian virgins... can't afford them - all this is getting out of hand (could have bought a Panerai by now).

I think this is progressing very nicely.

Was the deadline Liam getting his car back or his house built. Either way, you probably will still have a bit of time up your sleeve.

(BTW - Imp is registered! Only needed new brake lines and grease the kingpins)

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      01-11-2012 06:20 AM #16

Yes, because Chinese steel is soooo much better!

Just kidding
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

17. 01-13-2012 04:02 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Yes, because Chinese steel is soooo much better!

Just kidding
      German steel actually.. they're the only people making good reproductions from the original dies.
      Opened up the nose.. found ancient damage hidden and never correctly repaired.
      Yay, more bits to find/buy/make

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      01-13-2012 04:11 AM #18
      Ughhh that's nasty!

Good luck!
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

19. 01-13-2012 04:14 AM #19
      will make getting the engine out easier

20. 01-13-2012 04:31 AM #20
      lol i was pulling apart one of my minis for parts the other day and made more than one discovery like that, though less of the "bad repair" more a "feature" of british steel in just about every nook and cranny of the car Also random question to anyone who cares, clubman shell, rusted to ****, surely not worth fixing? i really couldnt be arsed but its gonna be hard seeing her leave my life 16 years and being my primary mode of transport during the "golden years" hah

I know youre trying to save money/do it yourself for the love and all that but thats the best part about just taking it somewhere to be stripped and fixed properly, its sans the heartache of every reveal of something crappy you should have expected, but weren't

01-13-2012 05:57 AM #21
      You can buy a brand new clubman shell from the UK. NFI what the cost is though... Actually it's 6000 pounds sterling plus shipping

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      01-14-2012 04:33 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by sweatyworker View Post
      You can buy a brand new clubman shell from the UK. NFI what the cost is though... Actually it's 6000 pounds sterling plus shipping
      Better off buying someone's car that they have done a full reto on at that point for 10-15k.

Craig you should have found most of the surprises by now right?

Vehicles
      2008 Mitsubishi Colt. 2012 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
      01-14-2012 07:40 PM #23
      There's a bloke on another forum restoring a 105 and every time he thinks he's found all the horrors, more rust is uncovered. He joked that he might as well cut the car in half lengthways and replace the entire driver's side.
      But then again he daily drives a 164 and his mrs owns a Rover 75, not to mention has half a dozen motorbike "projects" so he's probably insane!

24. 01-22-2012 05:51 AM #24
      Yep, there are no new surprises for me here. I've had this car (on & off) for over a decade, I know all her secrets. It's all just a bit ugly when it gets out in the air. Continuing a theme, the dodgy front end and unknown repairs to front sills forced me.. Hope I can weld as well as I can cut

Somebody has been here before...

Last edited by craig_m5; 06-13-2012 at 07:53 AM.

25. 01-22-2012 06:18 AM #25
      Holy snapping duckshiiit Craig. I thought early model UK Fords were bad but I bow down to your perseverance.
      iPad Certified.

26. 01-25-2012 10:36 AM #26
      The most sought after part in my history with this car arrived at customs today ... I'm excited!**
      **opinion is obsessively mine only, readers may not be as excited, your results may vary no promise or guarantee implied

Slight bit of rust around the lower skin fold, will convert or wire off... NEVER DAMAGED (hopefully) still has a nice gloss and paint sticker (avorio) on it. The holes will be welded shut as they're not correct for my '66. I can't tell you how long I've looked for this and how hard it was to find this from Aust.

I'm also never talking about how much it cost to get here, we're officially no longer keeping count !!
      Oh yeah, didi mention I cut my front wings off

Happy Australia Day People !!

27. Member
      01-25-2012 07:01 PM #27
      I can't tell you how long I've looked for this and how hard it was to find this from Aust.
      I can imagine, I have an Italian motorcycle so I feel your pain.... I've been lucky enough to find a good source of parts in the US.

Keep up the good work !

28. 02-11-2012 01:48 AM #28
      It appears I can weld. No doubt down to the tools (digital Kempi miniarc)

Let the reassembly commence
      Okay.. Cmmence the planning of the jigsaw that will be reassembly
      Once I practice some more

I'm excited again

Blew lots of holes in that last one practicing wire speed and stuff (okay, i've no idea, it's hard)
      Last edited by craig_m5; 02-11-2012 at 04:26 AM.

29. 04-22-2012 12:47 AM #29

15x4.5"....46 years blasted and powder coated new

30. 06-13-2012 01:05 AM #30
      Finally tracked down the eight pieces of silver that make up the radiator support cross member bit (tech term) from Germany, Belgium and the UK

And today...... YAY !! OEM Duetto nose... (alledgedly original part(s), i doubt it, v'old nonetheless)

Hysterically, after searching the world (boot lid was from Toronto), this was down the road in Brisbane. I already have some reproduction pieces which get stitched together to make this part.. will see which is the best/neatest/easist fit
      Last edited by craig_m5; 06-22-2012 at 10:45 AM.

31. 06-22-2012 10:35 AM #31
      negotiating panel assembly and paint.. my requirements/desire for finish detail is outside my skill/talent/grasshopper
      I'm not ashamed
      I have other skills
      Besides, i'd rather drive this f#cker before I'm too old to hold a license

You're all going to polled for a colour choice.. I'm colour blind.. And NOT red.
      Don't think your getting off easy here, I want serious retro consideration. Way?

Part of me is enamored with a late '69s 911/912... You only live once right ?
      Last edited by craig_m5; 06-22-2012 at 01:03 PM.

06-22-2012 07:14 PM #32
      That Lemon Yellow colour. Love it. No gunmetals no metallic at all especially not silver. Powder Blue is your only other option... Although the blue on the Montreal could be cool.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      06-22-2012 07:58 PM #33
      Agree, no metallics.

Those blue options are pretty good.

34. 06-23-2012 01:50 AM #34
      Metallic blue was an OEM colour !!
      Okay, I know, I did ask

35. 06-23-2012 03:19 AM #35
      You only live once;

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast