PRICE REDUCED: $380 OBO SHIPPED. That's basically buying the HID parts at discount and getting Free headlights!
Seeing as how I don't own a mk3 anymore, it makes no sense to have these sitting in the garage.
I bought these last winter to do a retrofit for my cabrio daily driver. I purchased brand new Helix/Depo R32 look chrome projector headlights from BFI. These have never been mounted on the car.
See link to part @ BFI ($260): http://store.blackforestindustries.com/mk3goprhech.html
These lights were then taken apart (lens removed and chrome bulb tray removed from housing) in order to retrofit TSX projectors. The OEM HID retrofit parts were purchased from The Retrofit source.
A summary of the parts purchased is as follows ($410):
1) 1x Pair: Acura TSX low beam projectors (OEM clear lens, best out there)
2) 1x Pair: Matsu****a ballasts (best seal/size for oem ballasts)
3) 1x Pair: New Philips D2S bulbs (0 miles, 0 hours with power on them)
4) 1x 9006 relay wire harness (should make it easy to wire with the headlights internal wiring)
After having the headlights apart, I "color modded" the projector by shimming the bowl from the lens and then made small aluminum brackets to hold the projector in the housing. Some slight clearancing was needed.
As you can see in the pictures, the TSX projectors are much larger than the halogen ones. I will include the halogen ones with the headlights if you want them. To finish the retrofit, you will need to modify the back covers to seal with the new projectors. I currently cut them to fit and you will need to epoxy some PVC or be creative to have them seal. The required work is reflected in the price.
I have not used any of these parts. They are either new (bulbs, headlights, harness) or OEM used as purchased from TRS (projectors, ballasts).
Pictures (sorry, on my phone taken really quick at night):
PRICE: $380 OBO SHIPPED. That's basically buying the HID parts and getting Free headlights!
Last edited by Danza.; 03-28-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Out of curiosity, can you PM me exactly what needs to be done to completely "finish" these? And the absolute lowest price you'd go shipped? Super interested since I was thinking about this exact thing.
Sure, I'll send you a PM as well.
If you look at the picture of the back of the headlight, you see how the projector is so large that it interferes with the previous mounting ridge for the cap. Obviously it will hit the stock cap as well.
What needs to be done is the headlight cap needs to be modified. There are two ways to do this.
1) You can epoxy a piece of pipe with an end cap to cover this location.
2) I have/had intermittent access to a fused deposition modeling machine at work. I planned to and possible could fabricate an entire new end cap if I have time/the buyer pays.
Otherwise they are ready to go. Wire them up with the supplied relay harnesses to the existing low beam wiring and your battery and they should be good. I'd check the seal on them, maybe run some sealant along the edge because I believe I didn't go back over them. They've been sitting for a year.
I am flexible on price. Make an offer.
"Were the tsx projectors plug and play?"
No. I had to make small aluminum brackets/tabs that space out the attachment points as the TSX projectors are larger. There was some slight removing of material on the back of the headlight bulb shroud to fit the larger projector. You cannot tell.
"what material did you use to reseal the lights"
As stated, they aren't resealed beyond the existing sealant. There is headlight sealant readily available at your local auto parts store that will work.
please stay out of the thread peddling cheap drop ins.
1. These are OEM projector retrofits. You will have much sharper cutoff, better light distribution, and mo hot spots. A drop in will just give you a really bright spot in front of the car. Not even close to as good.
2. I am selling OEM ballasts which will be more reliable and better made
3. I've already done most of the work
4. I'm including brand new Phillips d2s bulbs, not no name southeast Asian bulbs
if i still had a gti front end id be all over these.can't go wrong with retrofits.getting retros done alone aint cheap so 380 is a good deal.getting retros done is almost that much in labor by some people
DO NOT BUY FROM 2.8DOHCVTACH (now is harryballzonya) HE IS A SCAMMER