VWVortex

Thread: Another Brake System / Master Cylinder thread

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      96 VR6
      10-11-2011 09:33 AM #1
      So, this has also happened to me over the weekend:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...aster-cylinder

I had my brakes bled at an auto shop on Thursday. Later, over the course of several 5-mile drives and several days, the brakes have gone from "totally fine" to "pump and pray."

This shop is not a VW specific shop, and it was my first time there, AND they left a &@#$%& box-end wrench in my engine bay... I don't trust them, is what I'm saying.

Anyway, is there anything the mechanic could have done when bleeding the brakes to have upset the system? Assuming no leaks (I haven't found any), do B4 master cylinders tend to just crap out after a fluid flush?

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      96 VR6
      10-11-2011 06:48 PM #2
      ^Also, this problem came on slowly. The first few days were just fine.^

I have more information.

When the engine bay gets hot, at least 150 deg. F and above, the brake pedal does not fade. It is like the heat from the engine bay causes some leaky seal to expand and close off the leak, and braking goes back to normal. Does that hypothesis make any sense?

How the heck did this happen during a fluid flush, though?

Vehicles
      07 Passat 2.0T 6MT/96 Passat GLX VR6/ 87 Scirocco 16V
      10-12-2011 07:01 AM #3
      .. I have no idea.. BUT

I think i remember people sayin that on a B3/B4 your NOT suppost pump the brake pedal as it can cause the seals to go on the master cylinder when doing a brake flush. Thats all i remember .. did the shop do this or use a power bleeder?

JT
      Passat B6 6MT 2.0TFSI, Spork Pkg, Bixenons, Giac,EVOMS Intake, Neuspeed SS, NS Rear S B, Koni FSD/Eibach Pro kit, Peloquin LSD, VF Mounts, Forge DV and FMIC, 18x9 Wheels,Badgeless Grille, Hidef Rear Bumper/Spoiler/Tips, Votex Side, Abt Front lip..
      Passat B4 5MT GLX VR6. Moddified Intake Box with K&N Filter, Borla Muffler... more to come.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      96 VR6
      10-12-2011 08:57 AM #4
      Good lord, I hope they used a power bleeder.

Trivial piece of information number 3:

The brakes don't fade unless I use considerable force. I must have been pushing the pedal harder than I usually do to get the pedal fade. This morning I drove to work and the pedal didn't fade at all.