Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up a new beater car :]

1. 10-14-2011 01:37 PM #1

A wreckless impulse buy for $900 has landed my little cousin an '84 Rabbit GL. It has 175k on it. I love my MKV Gti, and am totally hooked. The car is in decent condition, but we're gonna need full paint and some body work. The motor runs strong, but deff needs a valve cover gasket. I'm pretty handing cars and have built from the ground up, but I don't know much about this car. I've done some googling, but have been told by the MKV guys that this is the best place to go.

What I need to know:
      -What are some mechanical issues with this car that I need to address before I get comfortable driving this car around?
      -What are my limits with this little carbed motor? How much power can I pull out of this thing without decreasing considerable reliability.
      -If this motor sucks, what is my most frugal, yet rewarding swap out.

Thanks

Vehicles
      I haz a bunnah
      10-14-2011 01:42 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by WackyWabbitRacer View Post
      You're new here but don't be a DORK.....
      Cheers, WWR.
      Quote Originally Posted by rte7x9 View Post
      Don't swap if you can't weld or fabricate. It's not a trivial task just to bolt everything up. There's a lot of nut-scratching involved. Take your time and do it right.

3. 10-14-2011 01:56 PM #3
      Lol, you created a new username to post in the mk1 forums?

4. 10-14-2011 01:58 PM #4
      The MKV is the beater.

10-14-2011 02:14 PM #5
      so you bought a mk1 to beat so you dont get your mk5 all messed up? GTFO NOW!!!

10-14-2011 02:25 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by vento86 View Post
      so you bought a mk1 to beat so you dont get your mk5 all messed up? Gtfo now!!!
      exactly. F off
      Scuba If I got in a cab and Esher was driving, I'd get right out. Then I'd ponder how drunk I was that I entered the rear of a 2dr rabbit and thought it was a cab.

2014 DCI VW TOYS FOR TOTS It's for the kids!

Vehicles
      a couple of mk1s.. 82 ABA caddy
      10-14-2011 02:40 PM #7
      welcome to the mk1 forums

people dont fck around here lol
      now to answer your ?s..

-check compression, leaks, do FULL maintance on it, and check what you are working on. These cars can be somewhat reliable if you treat them good. Most are very tired after years of service and will require lots of time and/or money to get to daily status. GET yourself a bentley and read it and keep reading it until you can figure most of the stuff yourself . There are thousands of great helping threads here in vortex. SEARCH my friend
      -how many benjamins are you willing to spend on it?? how good are your mech skills? you can make it go as fast as you wallet/skills can but dont expect a 30year old carbed 8valve to do 400 whp (unless your Tigninja's cousin). You do not need much to make these cars very enjoyable rides. These are light, cheap econoboxes that will make you smile even if they dont have 200 hp under the hood.
      -VR6TT

enjoy your mk1 and dont **** it up on purpose

Vehicles
      1984 Diesel, 1981 Cabby
      10-14-2011 05:55 PM #8
      In case you haven't noticed, some folks here are a little sensitive. I'm hoping you use the term 'beater' as one of endearment and not in a literal sense myself. Since I'm willing to give you the benefit of doubt:

Look for rust around the windshield, which can allow water to leak into the cabin and all over the fusebox. This is a headache.
      Go ahead and change the timing belt now; they're cheap and will be a good intro to your motor if you're not already familiar with it.
      Do yourself a favor and get a G60 VC gasket KIT, which will come with some new VC gasket studs. It's re-usable and far less likely to leak.
      And, most important, get a Bentley service manual and use it!

Have fun and if you want to kill a car, sell this one to someone who won't and get a Mk4...

Vehicles
      Porsche 911
      10-14-2011 06:01 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness View Post
      exactly. F off
      seriously? someone shows interest in these cars and your first instinct is to tell them to **** off? All he said is he loves his mkV. So? I loved mine too when I had it....Most of these cars ARE beaters. Face it, they are 30 year old econoboxes, and most don't warrant any kind of restoration these days, nor can most people that have them afford to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrfrazier View Post

What I need to know:
      -What are some mechanical issues with this car that I need to address before I get comfortable driving this car around?
      -What are my limits with this little carbed motor? How much power can I pull out of this thing without decreasing considerable reliability.
      -If this motor sucks, what is my most frugal, yet rewarding swap out.

Thanks
      Are you sure its carb'd and not CIS? Really not much out there for power either way, but you could probably do some work to make it handle and brake really nice The most rewarding swap is going to be a 16v swap, or an ABA swap, the prior being faster but a bit its getting a bit harder to find 16v stuff in great shape these days.

Dont let the morons in this forum dissuade you. As long as you do you due diligence and dont wear out your welcome with dumb questions constantly, you'll do just fine. Welcome to the mk1 world

and get a bentley.
      and get a bentley.
      and get a bentley.
      and get a bentley.
      Last edited by Digital K.; 10-14-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Vehicles
      1988 cabby, 1977 Rabbit VR6, Ducati 696
      10-14-2011 06:22 PM #10
      I have a MKV GLI as my daily, and every day I wish more and more for my project MK1 to be finished! This week alone, both HID headlight ballasts took a ****. I think you may want to redefine "beater"........I consider my MKV the "beater"!

Vehicles
      VW
      10-14-2011 07:21 PM #11
      I bought a TT to use as a winter car,but lets face it its old car.Only 15% of current living are worth being showcars.
      I drive mine everyday,and love it.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

10-16-2011 10:19 AM #12
      Yes I'm serious, someone calls these cars beaters I have the right to say F off. If he used the word "daily" it would have been a different reaction altogether.

Funny as you go after me for saying it but not the vento86 that I quoted.

Save the cars don't make beaters.
      Scuba If I got in a cab and Esher was driving, I'd get right out. Then I'd ponder how drunk I was that I entered the rear of a 2dr rabbit and thought it was a cab.

Vehicles
      84 jetta coupe 1.8t, 98 passat 1.8t pc-16,04 audi S4 6mt, 92 lt1 vette coupe
      10-16-2011 10:26 PM #13
      a beater to me is something you dont fix and drive into the ground. not swap engines and paint and do body work to rabbits prefer the term "project car" they take offense to "beater". damn beaters.
      anyway:
      http://www.rabbitgtipage.com/Swaps/engineswaps.html

Vehicles
      Porsche 911
      10-16-2011 10:39 PM #14
      Yes I'm serious, someone calls these cars beaters I have the right to say F off.
      okay.

Vehicles
      1982 Diesel Jetta 4dr
      10-16-2011 11:42 PM #15
      Before you go throwing money at it I would spend a good amount of time polishing the paint you've got, doing some maintenance, and cleaning the interior. You might just fall in love with it as is.

I dig it, you should take some more pictures. Your pinstriping combo reminds me of these wheels I just saw for sale. definitely would look killer on this car.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ghlight=centra

Quote Originally Posted by vdubspeed View Post
      diesel > EFI > CIS > carbs

Vehicles
      stable of silver
      10-18-2011 04:13 AM #16
      I hate threads like this, but none the less I'll keep my rant constructive:
      1. We take a lot of pride and pour our hearts and souls into these old cars. I would suggest refraining from calling your mk1 a beater, especially if a emkaygaybar is your garage slut.
      2. SEARCH. We are more than willing to help around here, but all the same we do not like spoon feeding. It clutters up the forum with duplicate threads and teaches you nothing. The best way to learn is to read up as much as you can before heading out into the trenches and working on your car. If you're still lost after that, then come back to the computer and ask for help; we'll be more than glad to lend a hand.
      3. Get a Bentley and keep it in the car at ALL TIMES.

Now that I got that off my chest, here is my advice.
      -These cars made from paper thin sheetmetal. I suggest inspecting all common rot areas for rust so that you can prevent or stop any rot from spreading. Floors, rockers, inner fenders and strut towers are a good place to start.
      -If this car will be driven through the winter, clean up the floors and put a good coat of quality undercoating or POR-15 on them. I've seen salt eat away perfect floors in a single winter due to bad undercoating.
      -A basic tune up will go miles with these engines. They are quite simple to work on and parts are cheap, so preventative maintenance is definitely feasable and will keep you out of the breakdown lane. Also replace the fuel filter; you have an almost 30 year old car and who knows when it's last been changed.
      -Check out the DIY/FAQ thread at the top of the forum page, there is lots of good info in there. The 8v technical forums might not be a bad read either.

I wish you lots of luck on your journey, these are rediculously fun cars that can be enjoyed for pennies if kept up properly. Hopefully over time we can convince you to roll the Mk1 into the garage and you'll start leaving the mk5 in the driveway to face the elements instead.
      Quote Originally Posted by SGLoki View Post
      Mk1people > Mkrestofpeople.
      Quote Originally Posted by unleashedd View Post
      wow this has escalatored quickly. dude now has vr6 up front, w8 out back, he's crying metal tears, and people are demanding consumption of feces... i dont know whats real anymore!

Vehicles
      2012 135i, 1983 Golf ABF
      10-18-2011 04:19 AM #17
      If you want to redo the interior or need any other resto pieces try this website:

http://www.mtmfg.com/

If you don't mind spending a lil more money and waiting for shipping you can get a lot of parts here, but you might be better going thru another company:

http://www.typ-17.de

And like everyone said.. its not a beater! its a way of life

10-18-2011 04:20 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by joshbucolo View Post
      Before you go throwing money at it I would spend a good amount of time polishing the paint you've got, doing some maintenance, and cleaning the interior. You might just fall in love with it as is.

I dig it, you should take some more pictures. Your pinstriping combo reminds me of these wheels I just saw for sale. definitely would look killer on this car.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ghlight=centra

god dam i hate quoting pics but... ps im drunk

19. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: 2013 Mazda3 iHatch, 1984 Rabbit GL project. Sold: 2011 SentraSL,1998 528i, 1997 dakota.
      01-29-2012 11:26 AM #19
      Well it is no longer referred to as the "beater." It currently resides in the spot where my 2011 nissan sentra used to be, and the sentra is now parked on the street. It has just had a full suspension swap and I threw some Enkei 92's on it. I have picked up a 16v and have had a friend come over and we have been working on it. It is 80% ready to go in. I also have picked up an abd short shifter, and full borla exhaust for this bad boy. The head has been shaven on the motor, and every seal/hose has or is going to be replaced. Its safe to say that this little car has become my favorite. Makes me miss my old 5 series bmw a lot less:]

putting a new gti lip and fixing the ebrake cable this afternoon after I get off of work.

16v before most of the work.

20. Member
      01-29-2012 11:34 AM #20
      on the west coast these are throw away beaters.

rust belt kids love these cars.

we all want what we cant have.

if you want to enjoy a beater, please sell this and buy a reliable japanese car
      I keep an umbrella with me at all times to shield me from the tears of my haters.

BMW Z4M INTERLAGOS BLUE METALLIC FOR SALE 10,611 MILES

Vehicles
      84 VW Rabbit GTI, 84 VW Jetta Coupe
      01-29-2012 12:28 PM #21
      Damn, he changed usernames again?

Vehicles
      stable of silver
      01-29-2012 12:44 PM #22
      That last update made me happy
      Quote Originally Posted by SGLoki View Post
      Mk1people > Mkrestofpeople.
      Quote Originally Posted by unleashedd View Post
      wow this has escalatored quickly. dude now has vr6 up front, w8 out back, he's crying metal tears, and people are demanding consumption of feces... i dont know whats real anymore!

01-29-2012 01:21 PM #23
      I retract my earlier statement. The rabbit looks killer with the enkies 15x7 and 15x8 right?

24. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: 2013 Mazda3 iHatch, 1984 Rabbit GL project. Sold: 2011 SentraSL,1998 528i, 1997 dakota.
      01-29-2012 01:22 PM #24
      The OP is my cousin, I am the actual owner of the car. As far was going Japanese, Im keepin the nissan as my daily until the mk1 is done. Its my first VW but Im hooked.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      01-29-2012 01:23 PM #25
      They are 15x8 all the way around. Had to roll the fenders 3 separate times... hah It was insane the wheel kept hitting the coil over. Unfortunately I had to go to spacers... 20mm.

Vehicles
      84 VW Rabbit GTI, 84 VW Jetta Coupe
      01-29-2012 01:27 PM #26
      What size tires you have on there?

27. Member
      Vehicles
      01-29-2012 01:33 PM #27
      Toyo 195/50/R15

Vehicles
      Porsche 911
      01-29-2012 01:34 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Chrom0sexual View Post

if you want to enjoy a beater, please sell this and buy a reliable japanese car
      easy to say for someone who just writes a check for whatever he wants all the time. Your perspective is whacked out.

keep up the effort man, its good to see you working on something and trying to learn. Looks great on the new wheels.
      Last edited by Digital K.; 01-29-2012 at 01:36 PM.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      01-29-2012 01:41 PM #29
      Thanks man, Im gonna keep up with the post from now on. More pics/updates soon.

Vehicles
      88 fox RIP 86 jetta RIP 81 rabbit RIP, 1984 GTI RIP, 03 Allroad sold, 86 Jetta sold, 87 f150 & ????
      01-29-2012 03:28 PM #30
      Looking good man

Kris Vs. Paul.... lets get ready to rumble....

Kris posts pics of Paul in his scrubs looking very feminine, Paul writes a check to steal some stainless window louvres out from under Kris...
      1% defined: Lone wolf, no club. Duct tape it yourself. It is broken down 1% of the time, and work is always 1% completed.
      2% defined: I'm too old to drive broken sh*t and VW people are cool. DBVW!
      Quote Originally Posted by nsindel View Post
      May I introduce Senor SGLoki -
      the man, the myth, the slamdancer...

Vehicles
      Porsche 911
      01-29-2012 03:35 PM #31
      torque wrenches hit harder than checkbooks. although he could anesthetize me without my knowing I imagine.

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '10 Ninja
      01-29-2012 04:33 PM #32
      a good alignment can solve rub on a coil over getting spacers
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG
      Quote Originally Posted by frechem View Post
      I like my women how I like my whiskey; aged 18 years and mixed up with coke.

01-29-2012 04:54 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Digital K. View Post
      torque wrenches hit harder than checkbooks. although he could anesthetize me without my knowing I imagine.

TBH I don't see anything being swung.

Another TBH, I'd rather someone throw a checkbook at a slew of Mk1's then anything else.

34. Member
      01-29-2012 05:25 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by ixmeltxfaces View Post
      The OP is my cousin, I am the actual owner of the car. As far was going Japanese, Im keepin the nissan as my daily until the mk1 is done. Its my first VW but Im hooked.
      I am confoozed now.

The thread title threw me off.
      I keep an umbrella with me at all times to shield me from the tears of my haters.

BMW Z4M INTERLAGOS BLUE METALLIC FOR SALE 10,611 MILES

Vehicles
      Porsche 911
      01-29-2012 05:59 PM #35
      I'd rather someone throw a checkbook at a slew of Mk1's then anything else.
      tough to argue with that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast