Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: ECU upgrade on my b6 s4

Vehicles
      2004 audi S4, 2005 jetta 2.0
      10-16-2011 08:01 AM #1
      Hey, i have bone stock b6 s4 with auto trany.
      In my plans there are 3 things that im willing to upgrade first:

1. ECU

2. intake

3. exhaust

Question is: what ecu, intake, and exhaust should i get? Lookin for some quality and power, please leave suggestions below, thx

2. 10-17-2011 09:28 PM #2
      1) Get a JHM Tune
      2) Drop in k&n filter
      3)It depends on what type of sound you want. Stick with 2.5 pipe.
      Catless and Fast Intestions catback is what i would recommend
      04 Nogaro S4

10-17-2011 10:43 PM #3
      1) ecu tune won't do much unless you have at least piggie pipes and cat back.

2) intakes don't do anything. If you really want some as trextruk said, k&n drop in will work the best but not much better than a stock one.

3) as I said cutback should be before tune.

Order should be:

1) catback and piggies.
      2) Jhm tune
      3) drop in k&n, if you really want.

Vehicles
      10-18-2011 02:40 AM #4
      another question is how do i get JHM to tune my car? im in Washington and they are in California. 900 miles away

Vehicles
      10-18-2011 02:51 AM #5
      and is JHM really better than APR?

Vehicles
      97 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6, 87 Audi 5000 CS Turbo Quattro, 05 Audi S4 Avant, 98 Cherokee, 83 GTI
      10-18-2011 11:12 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by blackquattro View Post
      and is JHM really better than APR?
      1.8t no
      2.0t no
      2.7tt no
      3.0t no
      4.2 YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JHM targets the market apr doesn't want to touch, targets the market nobody can succeed in, not the easy money from software tunes

1. JHM tune
      2. K&N drop in, otherwise do nothing
      3. your choice but again Fast Intentions 2.5, anything 2.5, headers? piggies? dps? your choice

i know i mentioned again what was posted above

Vehicles
      Silver Bullet B5 S4 <3
      11-02-2011 05:27 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by JarrettJettaVR6 View Post
      1.8t no
      2.0t no
      2.7tt no---?
      3.0t no
      4.2 YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JHM targets the market apr doesn't want to touch, targets the market nobody can succeed in, not the easy money from software tunes
      Eh....I cannot comment on the other motors other than the 2.7tt and 4.2.. So..

You do know that Jay was literally the first to get a Ko4 car (2.7 B5) S4 in the 11s right? Especially with a full interrior and spare in the trunk.. He was basically a 2.7tt pioneer, and still known today for his 2.7tt work..

^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeaNy0s2w8A

But regarding to how JHM specializes in tunes or mods, keep in mind JHM is the "stick to what you know" guys... And Jay owned a B5, loved it, therefore made amazing mods for it and made money doing so.. So now, he owns a 4.2.... And guess what, he's made one of the best files for it, why? Because he has a passion for the car/Motor.. Hell they even took time to make install DIY videos full length for their customers.

Anyone will create art in any form when passion and dedication is their motivator, not money or fame like other tuning names.

JHM Standup guys and great customer service, and guys are still humble to this day.
      -George
      SEMPER FI
      FACEBOOK

AirFramer's Motto: We Screw, We Nut, We Bolt

Vehicles
      2006 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      11-22-2011 11:12 AM #8
      another question is how do i get JHM to tune my car? im in Washington and they are in California. 900 miles away
      Seems like no one answered this question of yours. You need to ship it to them. This means removing your ECU, packaging it properly, expedite shipping to them and have them ship it back. Usually takes less than 5 business days. You need to purchase the tune from their webstore first though to make things easier. That way, they can be ready for it when your ECU arrives.

Well worth it as they're the only ones that have a proper tune for the 4.2

Also, like everyone mentioned, make sure you upgrade your downpipe (either go catless 2.5" or at the very least, go the "piggie" route (which just guts your cats and leaves everything else as is).

All the other tunes aren't worth the money IMHO and better to leave untouched if you don't want to ship your ECU to them or alter your downpipes.
      Sprint Blue B7 S4 Avant 6MT - 421whp/350wtq
      JHM Stage 1 SC - JHM SS - JHM IM - JHM IS - JHM Stg 4 clutch - JHM LWFW - 19" O.Z. Ultraleggera - Stoptech ST-60 BBK - KW v3 CO - Apikol rear diff mount - Trexturk DP - Magnaflow CB - Hotchkis RS4 RSB - Apikol snub mount - Stern Motor mounts - 034 Adj FUCA - RS4 Pedals - TT-RS MFSW - Zada-Tech Gauges - STE Gauges - Dynavin D99 Android

9. 11-24-2011 01:12 AM #9
      [QUOTE=blackquattro;74030485]Hey, i have bone stock b6 s4 with auto trany.

I have aptuning chip intakw n miltek exhaust runs sounds like a beast

Vehicles
      BMY Hasco
      11-24-2011 10:09 AM #10
      I have the united motorsports tune in my car and love it

Vehicles
      2006 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      11-24-2011 10:58 AM #11
      Has anyone here ever tried out different tunes? Either on their own car or from test driving another car that has a different tune but everything else the same?

I can understand someone saying they love something they've done to their car but sometimes it's fun to compare (and not just regarding tunes).
      JHM Stage 1 SC - JHM SS - JHM IM - JHM IS - JHM Stg 4 clutch - JHM LWFW - 19" O.Z. Ultraleggera - Stoptech ST-60 BBK - KW v3 CO - Apikol rear diff mount - Trexturk DP - Magnaflow CB - Hotchkis RS4 RSB - Apikol snub mount - Stern Motor mounts - 034 Adj FUCA - RS4 Pedals - TT-RS MFSW - Zada-Tech Gauges - STE Gauges - Dynavin D99 Android

Vehicles
      2006 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      11-24-2011 10:59 AM #12
      [QUOTE=Tuneds4;74631003]
      Hey, i have bone stock b6 s4 with auto trany.

I have aptuning chip intakw n miltek exhaust runs sounds like a beast
      I would say the sound is more due to the V8+exhaust than the tune itself.

11-27-2011 12:11 AM #13
      Don't bother with the K&N filter,

Exhaust, downpipes, and tune are the best bang for your buck.

JHMotorsports is the go to crew for these cars. Plus the software includes launch control
      Suzuka TTRS - Carbon Mirrors - Ecodes - Recaros - Schroths - Weichers Cage - HREs - Revo Stage 2 - Scorpion TBE - CTS FMIC - H&R - EBC

Vehicles
      s4 bro
      12-01-2011 01:51 AM #14
      I've heard great things about the utitronic tue for this car, probably what I'm going to do. They also have different choices such as stage 1, stage 1+ and stage 2, that offer different options.

As for exhaust, I custom built my own (; and I highly recommend it. Good luck!

Vehicles
      2006 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      12-01-2011 02:41 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by boots patrol View Post
      I've heard great things about the utitronic tue for this car, probably what I'm going to do. They also have different choices such as stage 1, stage 1+ and stage 2, that offer different options.

As for exhaust, I custom built my own (; and I highly recommend it. Good luck!
      I heard otherwise...to each their own...

Vehicles
      s4 bro
      12-01-2011 04:53 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Axel- View Post
      I heard otherwise...to each their own...

What have you heard?

Vehicles
      2006 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      12-02-2011 12:26 AM #17
      What have you heard?
      I heard the tune is actually a little dangerous for the motor. I'm not a tuner myself so I can't confirm or deny this assessment. Just relaying what I heard from an actual tuner (who's actual real life job is tuning for a large auto manufacturer). Take it or leave it

In any case, it's not the best one out there for the 4.2 V8 (BBK) from the B6/7 S4 in terms of power gains (and that's been proven both on dynos and more importantly, quarter mile runs; it's not a subjective statement) but some people like other aspects of tunes (such as multiple settings for warranty purposes and other reasons) so in the end, it's always best to try out different tunes (hopefully at meets and stuff) for you to get a better idea.

Almost every tune will add some power/responsiveness to an extent. So if you ask anyone that's only ever had one type of tune, they're obviously going to say it's fantastic because they're comparing it to their stock tune. You need to either talk to people who have had different tunes themselves or better yet, try them out for yourself and make your choice then.

Also, you mentioned you custom built your own exhaust. May I ask the specs? Material used? Diameter? Straight pipe? X-pipe? Do you have pics? Did you only do the catback or did you also custom build a downpipe?
      Last edited by Axel-; 12-02-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Vehicles
      s4 bro
      12-02-2011 01:09 AM #18
      Also, you mentioned you custom built your own exhaust. May I ask the specs? Material used? Diameter? Straight pipe? X-pipe? Do you have pics? Did you only do the catback or did you also custom build a downpipe?
      I still have stock down pipes. That's next, I might do piggies. I have 2.5 inch pipes from the flex pipes into a 2.5 inch inlet/outlet X pipe into two flowmaster super 44's. It's stainless steel. I don't have any pictures though, sorry. but I can take a video.

Vehicles
      2006 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      12-02-2011 10:00 AM #19
      I still have stock down pipes. That's next, I might do piggies. I have 2.5 inch pipes from the flex pipes into a 2.5 inch inlet/outlet X pipe into two flowmaster super 44's. It's stainless steel. I don't have any pictures though, sorry. but I can take a video.
      2.5" from the flex pipes? The flex section is part of the downpipe though.
      If you're already mostly 2.5", I'd go with a proper 2.5" downpipe set up as well. Just doing piggies will leave you with 2.25" (although I'm sure you know all of this already lol).

Well, good luck with your ECU research. Let us know what you end up getting.

Vehicles
      s4 bro
      12-02-2011 02:04 PM #20
      2.5" from the flex pipes? The flex section is part of the downpipe though.
      If you're already mostly 2.5", I'd go with a proper 2.5" downpipe set up as well. Just doing piggies will leave you with 2.25" (although I'm sure you know all of this already lol).

Well, good luck with your ECU research. Let us know what you end up getting.
      Hahah yea I know, I went as far as possible before pretty much running into the curves up. Doing the piggies is just the easiest right now, I haven't decided what I'm actually going to do yet. And thanks! I'll let youz guys know.

Vehicles
      Family Mobile
      12-05-2011 11:22 AM #21
      Currently I run the 034 intake, does't do much but it looks nice. Also I have a Uni tune and Ill soon be switching to JHM. You get a lot more for your money, as everyone has said before its proven. Its all over the Zine. Also I run Catless Stratmosphere exhaust with just the x pipe. no resonators. Haven't heard anything better so I recommend that or the FI exhaust. Hope your car turns out nice for ya
      When in doubt.....BABY KITO!

Need your car scanned? Authentic VAG-COM HEX+CAN USB here at your service. PM me!
      BagRiders
      Need stuff done to your car? I'm cheap so PM me!

Vehicles
      2006 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      12-05-2011 02:08 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Baby Kito View Post
      Also I have a Uni tune and Ill soon be switching to JHM. You get a lot more for your money, as everyone has said before its proven.
      You probably already know this but JHM currently has their holiday sale on. 10% off their tune.

Vehicles
      s4 bro
      12-12-2011 11:42 AM #23

Got some pics of my exhaust set up for you guys.

This is where I cut into the downpours, right after the flex's and deleted two of the cats.

This is the rest with the X pipe.

And this is the muffler set up. (kept the stock tips).

Vehicles
      2006 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      12-12-2011 04:34 PM #24
      This is the rest with the X pipe.
      Can't see the x-pipe all that well but looks nice.

Vehicles
      s4 bro
      12-12-2011 09:27 PM #25
      Can't see the x-pipe all that well but looks nice.
      Thanks bro

Vehicles
      Silver Bullet B5 S4 <3
      12-17-2011 10:32 PM #26

And this is the muffler set up. (kept the stock tips).

Setup looks great , but do you get any drone/grogging from this 90 dregree bend? I mean the piping is large enough, but just seems to be a hardcore bend.
      -George
      SEMPER FI
      FACEBOOK

Vehicles
      s4 bro
      01-26-2012 12:37 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by NYEuroTuner View Post
      Setup looks great , but do you get any drone/grogging from this 90 dregree bend? I mean the piping is large enough, but just seems to be a hardcore bend.
      No drone at all, the exhaust is actually pretty raspy. I just cut the cats out of my downpipes and made them into piggies too. Sounds great right now and I can deff feel the difference.

Vehicles
      Silver Bullet B5 S4 <3
      01-27-2012 10:19 PM #28
      No drone at all, the exhaust is actually pretty raspy. I just cut the cats out of my downpipes and made them into piggies too. Sounds great right now and I can deff feel the difference.
      Are you gonna post a HD vid? lol
      -George
      SEMPER FI
      FACEBOOK

Vehicles
      s4 bro
      01-29-2012 06:28 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by NYEuroTuner View Post
      Are you gonna post a HD vid? lol
      Haha I'll try, if I have time this week

30. 02-14-2012 01:44 PM #30
      i picked up a b7 s4 right before xmas and i currently have labree fullback exhaust. downpipes and catback. i absolutely love the sound. its catted and resonated.
      I'm going with a jhm 91 oct tune soon along with a k&n drop in. the K&N is only 50 and easy to install yourself.
      I've heard marvelous things about the JHM tune so i'd do it if i was you. but i heard the tune is only effective if you have at least pigges. so id say exhaust first