Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Volt Pic Post.........High VOLTage or Low? Post pictures and stories/experiences of your Volt or someone's you know or have driven.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Turbo Diesel Jetta
      10-16-2011 02:26 PM #1
      Let's see pictures and hear stories of owner's experiences of Volts. (or of owner's you know)

I'll start with a Real Estate Appraiser in Eugene, Oregon.

Meet Frank Calciano of Calciano Associates in Eugene (also part time musician in a local band)

Put in his order two years ago and just took delivery a week ago Friday. First actual Volt to be sold in Eugene (not a demo or brought in from out of state and sold as used)

First experience? Dealer did NOT charge the car at time of delivery so he drives it home on gas.

Background on Frank's preparation. At his home in Southwest Hills (Eugene), he's got 110 voltage connection in the garage plus a 220 volt set up for quicker charging.

At his office in Eugene, he has another 220 volt charging area set up to extend his range as he has quit an area to cover for appraisals (Corvallis to Roseburg)

He's approached this over the past two years in a serious manner and has done his homework.

Flash forward to the first evening. Car is stored in garage and plugged in........charging commences.

Well, not really. On the dash, there is a light that is supposed to be solid green when charging.

He gets amber.

Go to owner's manual "possible utility interruption by OnSTAR"

No charging happens.

turns out this was a one time problem and all that was needed was a reboot. Onstar communication was just a sideshow at that moment
      **comments from Frank as of 10/17:

I like the posting of the Volt. Aparrentlly the On Star was not fully setup in the first couple of days having do with registration and password setup. Anyway it works now. Have driven 233 miles of 266 total miles on electricity.

Thanks
      Frank
      In the morning, move the car outside under gas power and establish phone linkup.

**edit.... realize now that ON Star is simply a cell signal. He has really poor cell reception at his house... so moving the car gained just enough signal to make the hookup to talk to the onstar people.

On star people are ticked that the dealer didn't charge the car. Tells Frank to reboot the whole car and start over. (just like a computer)

Charging happens over the next 4 hours.

**The crutches. Frank is also a gungho baseball player. Slide into 3rd base (or home, I can't recall) and broke his fibula a couple weeks before the car arrived.... Doesn't keep him out of the driver's seat, though)

Fran Calciano and son Dennis size up to the realization that there isn't much trunk space. (She remarks how she's glad she has her Honda Odyssey )

Frank let me take it for a spin out thru the wine country of Eugene with 4 of us onboard.

Car is low to the ground.... handles well (wide profile tires and suspension is well damped).

Quiet..............

......really quiet at speed

Lots of torque and hill climbing around Eugene is effortless on battery power.

Charged up in about 5 hours on 220

****update on the whole onstar thing****

you don't need onstar to charge the car.

I'll try to explain what happened.

Frank hadn't really set up the onstar yet since he just got the car. This and somehow the car locked onto "no charge status"

When the charging didn't happen, one of the explanations in the owner's manual was that onstar was delaying the charging "utility interruption was the way they put it" to wait for a more economical time. Something about getting the best charging rates from the local utilities.

But mostly this was two fold. Once the onstar connection was made and he talked to them and the reboot occured the next day, charging was good to go. All very strange indeed for the first time out.

So, no... you can charge without onstar being on ( it was just confusing that night to figure out why no charging and he wasn't able to contact onstar for questions.)

Since then, charging has been occuring without a hitch and certainly no more indications of "possible utility interruptions" from the light display of solid amber.

Solid green all the way

Last edited by lil' thumper; 10-18-2011 at 08:09 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman
      Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day

10-16-2011 02:53 PM #2
      God I love everything about this car.
      Both gas & electric. The looks with the low belt line, the interior & configuration of the seats.

Dont know anyone that owns one yet but I like to walk over and stare at them when I spot them in a parking lot. Only cause its a rare sight to see around here.

Hope to see more stories & pics of the volt!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Volvo V70, 2011 Volvo C30
      10-16-2011 02:57 PM #3
      crap.... car can't communicate with OnStar because the house is over the garage and no satellite linkage.
      Wait, what? is that right? really? wouldn't that be true with TONS of garages?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Turbo Diesel Jetta
      10-16-2011 03:06 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Bixmen View Post
      That's what I thought, but it was certainly true that we couldn't get an OnStar linkup till we moved it out of the garage the next morning.

Seems awfully strange to me as well.

**just checked. The ONstar uses cell phone repeaters just like your mobile phone, so it should have worked. However, due to the fact that Frank's house has poor cell reception and is spotty at best, the Onstar would have had difficulty getting a signal (just like the signal outage that is common for his cell phone there)

So.... yes correction. Onstar non communication wasn't due to the garage like I thought. We just had to move the car a little bit to get better signal.

from another forum

OnStar uses cell towers for vehicle communication which will work just fine in most covered areas. Hell, in some of the Boston tunnels I think they have cell repeaters down there.
      Last edited by lil' thumper; 10-16-2011 at 03:10 PM.

10-16-2011 03:14 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Bixmen View Post
      Or what if you are in an area without cell coverage?
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i'd lock this thread but i have no clue how...

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Turbo Diesel Jetta
      10-16-2011 03:18 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      Or what if you are in an area without cell coverage?
      from the Corvette forum

Onstar uses CDMA and AMPS which is a cellular network through Horizon ... i think he means Verizon here (land based) for phone service. It uses satellites for the GPS in onstar.
      It's possible that there could be areas where onstar phone service will not work.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Honda Civic 2.2 i-ctdi, Kia Soul Ev coming soon
      10-16-2011 03:37 PM #7
      Having driven the Leaf - I love the idea about the Volt/Ampera.

A wagon would solve ALL my driving needs.

flick
      r

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      10-16-2011 03:40 PM #8
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3 GT - True Red
      10-16-2011 03:49 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by lil' thumper View Post
      (just like a computer)
      Yeap, that's what this car is

Vehicles
      13 Outback SAP / 14 Accord Sport
      10-16-2011 05:06 PM #10
      I really like the IDEA of the Volt, but not the actual car. I drove one a few weeks back and was mildly impressed. Lots of cool tech, but lots of typical GM too.

But let me get this straight, you have to get an Onstar signal to charge the car?! WTF for? So they can monitor it incase of fire?
      Last edited by Punch Dub; 10-16-2011 at 05:09 PM.
      Past: 04 EP3, 05 Taco, 10 CC, 04 & 12 WRX, 06 STI, 13 Pilot

Vehicles
      2005 Pontiac GTO
      10-16-2011 05:13 PM #11
      A neighbor has one, I think his was one of the very first to be sold in the east and has only had to fill up twice since he got it.

All his driving is less than the electric range so all he uses is electricity and no gas for about 4 months now.

Love the Volt and would love to own one but it's too pricey at the moment and my commute is more than 100 miles.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Honda Civic 2.2 i-ctdi, Kia Soul Ev coming soon
      10-16-2011 05:37 PM #12
      Is that guy in the first pic related to Spock?

flick
      r

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Turbo Diesel Jetta
      10-16-2011 05:44 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dub View Post
      I really like the IDEA of the Volt, but not the actual car. I drove one a few weeks back and was mildly impressed. Lots of cool tech, but lots of typical GM too.

But let me get this straight, you have to get an Onstar signal to charge the car?! WTF for? So they can monitor it incase of fire?
      no..... you don't need onstar to charge the car.

I'll try to explain what happened.

Frank hadn't really set up the onstar yet since he just got the car. This and somehow the car locked onto "no charge status"

When the charging didn't happen, one of the explanations in the owner's manual was that onstar was delaying the charging "utility interruption was the way they put it" to wait for a more economical time. Something about getting the best charging rates from the local utilities.

But mostly this was two fold. Once the onstar connection was made and he talked to them and the reboot occured the next day, charging was good to go. All very strange indeed for the first time out.

So, no... you can charge without onstar being on ( it was just confusing that night to figure out why no charging and he wasn't able to contact onstar for questions.)

Since then, charging has been occuring without a hitch and certainly no more indications of "possible utility interruptions" from the light display of solid amber.

Solid green all the way

Last edited by lil' thumper; 10-16-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Vehicles
      B5.5 Passat, A2 Jetta coupe, A5 R32 (sold), gmt 900 crew (sold), B8 S4
      10-16-2011 05:56 PM #14
      They have 2 for sale now locally, haven't went in to check them out yet.

You should update the first post, with why it wasn't charging or the same question about onstar will be asked a million time by the TL;DR crowd.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Turbo Diesel Jetta
      10-16-2011 05:58 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by big byrd View Post
      They have 2 for sale now locally, haven't went in to check them out yet.

You should update the first post, with why it wasn't charging or the same question about onstar will be asked a million time by the TL;DR crowd.
      thanks...

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Mazda MX-6, 79 rusty bunny
      10-16-2011 06:19 PM #16
      Carey Bailey.... first volt owner in Oregon

Bailey's experience with the volt?

Carey Bailey, who drives 30 miles each day to work in Sutherlin in northern Douglas County, said he was unimpressed with electric cars that were so compact that they made him feel claustrophobic.

Bailey, who has been driving a Chevrolet Volt since January, described the financial benefits of his new car. He commutes daily to Sutherlin and said he swapped a $500 monthly gas bill for a $30 increase in his electricity bill.

“The car is making its own payment by me not having to buy gas,” he said.
      Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with it, right? So a lot of times I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      How hard is that to understand without getting your panties in a bunch?
      Surely some of you guys managed to make it out of middle school.

17. 10-16-2011 06:35 PM #17
      I just want to take a moment and say -

**** YOU TOYOTA.

**** YOU.

Seriously. Thank you ****ing god damn much for making the first gen Prius in that god damn shape so now every hydrive/eco car will have to resemble that because people are stupid.

This is what the car of tomorrow should have looked like.

not a updated god damn previa.

Vehicles
      '07 3 Hatch, '14 Cherokee Limited, '02 954 Fireblade
      10-16-2011 06:47 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
      I just want to take a moment and say -

**** YOU TOYOTA.

**** YOU.

Seriously. Thank you ****ing god damn much for making the first gen Prius in that god damn shape so now every hydrive/eco car will have to resemble that because people are stupid.

This is what the car of tomorrow should have looked like.

not a updated god damn previa.
      Pretty sure that basic shape is the best compromise of interior space and drag. Which is why it is so popular.

19. 10-16-2011 06:50 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboWraith View Post
      Pretty sure that basic shape is the best compromise of interior space and drag. Which is why it is so popular.
      I doubt it. The reason Honda went with that shape for the Insite was because their Civic Hybrid while nearly equal in performance to a Prius did not sell as well because it was not as easily recognizable as a hybrid.

If that was truly an great economy design, they why are no other economy cars in that shape?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk1 Scirocco, '83 TD Jetta
      10-16-2011 07:04 PM #20
      interesting trip stats for this one down in Florida

owner's comments below

This summer we took the Volt on a 3,318 mile road trip from Miami, FL to Albany, NY - and back. I started the trip with a lifetime MPG average of 74.3, and ended it with 57.6.

I had pre-reserved my hotel rooms on the route, and for each call I had requested the ability to plug-in. Only in NC did they not remember this conversation, but they were able to accommodate me anyways.

21. 10-16-2011 07:18 PM #21
      I doubt it. The reason Honda went with that shape for the Insite was because their Civic Hybrid while nearly equal in performance to a Prius did not sell as well because it was not as easily recognizable as a hybrid.

If that was truly an great economy design, they why are no other economy cars in that shape?
      you seriously are showing a TON of ignorance lately...

oh wait, you have always been an idiot.

its THE most aerodynamic shape that is available with enough passenger and cargo space...

22. 10-16-2011 07:33 PM #22

derp

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      10-16-2011 07:34 PM #23

The teardrop shape is in fact best for wind resistance and economy. How about resarching before making broad generalizations?

The reason you don't see a lot of cars with it is that it's ugly. but you're not paying for beauty with the early hybrids, and if you are (Civic, and any other hybridized standard car) the economy isn't optimal.
      A2Resource

24. 10-16-2011 08:08 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      The teardrop shape is in fact best for wind resistance and economy. How about resarching before making broad generalizations?

The reason you don't see a lot of cars with it is that it's ugly. but you're not paying for beauty with the early hybrids, and if you are (Civic, and any other hybridized standard car) the economy isn't optimal.
      I'm well aware that of the aerodynamics advantages. I'm also doubt that is why these guys went with the shape. The Prius no doubt did it for aerodynamics. Honda and now GM are doing it because they are Prius knock-offs.

If makers truly cared that much, then the Mazda 3, Golf, xB, Cube, Focus et al would all look like the Prius.

25. 10-16-2011 08:11 PM #25
      I'm well aware that of the aerodynamics advantages. I'm also doubt that is why these guys went with the shape. The Prius no doubt did it for aerodynamics. Honda and now GM are doing it because they are Prius knock-offs.

If makers truly cared that much, then the Mazda 3, Golf, xB, Cube, Focus et al would all look like the Prius.
      you really, really, really are a dumbass mother****er...

No they wouldn't...

You think the Volt went from its concept, to what it currently is, because they wanted it to rip off the prius?

gtfo you retard

Vehicles
      10-16-2011 08:12 PM #26

You are an idiot. I have no other response to this post. See the link above for a proper history lesson on the design.
      A2Resource

27. 10-16-2011 08:22 PM #27
      "Carey Bailey, who drives 30 miles each day to work in Sutherlin in northern Douglas County, said he was unimpressed with electric cars that were so compact that they made him feel claustrophobic.

Bailey, who has been driving a Chevrolet Volt since January, described the financial benefits of his new car. He commutes daily to Sutherlin and said he swapped a $500 monthly gas bill for a $30 increase in his electricity bill."

Really? 30 miles to work, 30 miles home = 60 miles. With 23 working days per month, figure 1380 miles.

At $3.50 per gallon that is 142 gallons of fuel. So he USED to burn 142 gallons of fuel to go 1380 miles? That's a whopping 9.7mpg. I call total horsecrap on that.
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      10-16-2011 08:26 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      "Carey Bailey, who drives 30 miles each day to work in Sutherlin in northern Douglas County, said he was unimpressed with electric cars that were so compact that they made him feel claustrophobic.

Bailey, who has been driving a Chevrolet Volt since January, described the financial benefits of his new car. He commutes daily to Sutherlin and said he swapped a $500 monthly gas bill for a $30 increase in his electricity bill."

Really? 30 miles to work, 30 miles home = 60 miles. With 23 working days per month, figure 1380 miles.

At $3.50 per gallon that is 142 gallons of fuel. So he USED to burn 142 gallons of fuel to go 1380 miles? That's a whopping 9.7mpg. I call total horsecrap on that.
      This JUST in: Guys will say anything to justify a purchase when their wife is hounding them about how $38,000 just disappeared from their joint checking account.

29. 10-16-2011 08:30 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      you really, really, really are a dumbass mother****er...

No they wouldn't...

You think the Volt went from its concept, to what it currently is, because they wanted it to rip off the prius?

gtfo you retard
      OK you fowl mouthed swine -

Why is the Cruze and Malibu not shape like a tear drop? Why is the Fit not a Tear Drop?

Seems to me that only Hybrids and electric cars are riding the tear-drop bandwagon.. one started with Toyota.

30. Member
      10-16-2011 08:32 PM #30
      We don't know what he went from to the Volt. He could have been driving an old Dodge Ramcharge with a 318 and a messed up transmission or a rotary engined car.

31. 10-16-2011 08:33 PM #31

Why is the Cruze and Malibu not shape like a tear drop? Why is the Fit not a Tear Drop?

Seems to me that only Hybrids and electric cars are riding the tear-drop bandwagon.. one started with Toyota.
      So I have bird lips around a pig body??

Hmm... Me thinks the ev1 was pretty tear dropped...

and they arent, because those vehicles are NOT for PURE mileage... hybrids/etc. are all for their fuel efficiency...
      Last edited by Nourdmrolnmt; 06-24-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Vehicles
      1997 VR6 Cabrio, RIP '98 GTI VR6
      10-16-2011 08:39 PM #32
      I see Leafs (Leaves?) on almost a daily basis in eco-happy Portland/Vancouver, and I still haven't seen a Volt at a dealership or in the wild.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      1982 Audi GT coupe, '83 jetta coupe, 85 jetta TD
      10-16-2011 08:41 PM #33
      new jersey owner talks about it

"The lease is a really great deal for two reasons. First, I am only paying $337 a month and second, it is kind of like an extended beta test," said DiPisa. "I wanted to take a three-year lease, see where the development of the next model of Volt goes and take it from there when the lease is up. Given the homerun they hit with the first version, I'm sure I will be financing the second version when my lease is up."

"I get up in the morning, remote start the car for about five minutes to get the temperature nice, drive to work and then drive home at the end of the day. Just plug it in overnight and you're good to go the next day," said DiPisa. "The beauty of it is, even if you forget to plug it in, or if you drive further than the electric range, there is no worrying because you can keep going on the gas if you have to. I've gotten into a routine, just like plugging in my cell phone every night."
      comments were made in april

Mike DiPisa had been behind the wheel of a 2004 Chevy TrailBlazer, which averaged about 14 city and 19 highway miles per gallon. He dumped in about $100 a month to get where he needed, including his 26-mile round trip work commute to Hackensack where he is a web content and community manager for Slingo.com.
      DiPisa said he was given the car with eight gallons of gas in December and still has four in the tank.
      “I wasn't trying to wreck him, I just wanted to rattle his cage.”... Dale Earnhardt
      Quote Originally Posted by porridgehead
      It's all about the tires. I drove my M3 in the snow. With the summer tires on, it was the safest car in the world in the snow. In fact, it was a statue. You could not make it move with half an inch of snow on the ground.

Vehicles
      10-16-2011 08:47 PM #34
      I can only guess the monthly gas bill includes trips around town, not JUST work commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      So I have bird lips around a pig body??

Hmm... Me thinks the ev1 was pretty tear dropped...

and they arent, because those vehicles are NOT for PURE mileage... hybrids/etc. are all for their fuel efficiency...
      Win on all counts with this post
      Last edited by VDub2625; 06-24-2012 at 03:56 PM.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      1993 Corrado VR6
      10-16-2011 08:59 PM #35

Haha but no seriously. I want a volt. I think they're sweet.
      bweeeeeeeeeee *chirp* bwaaahhhhhhhhhhh Like a good neighbor state farm is there! With a 60/40 cupkit!

Quote Originally Posted by nfx View Post
      the mk3 forums are kicking ass tonight.
      Quote Originally Posted by SnaveZ View Post
      Just as I was saying, "well at least the air...." BOOM! The airbags went off.

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast