Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Volt Pic Post.........High VOLTage or Low? Post pictures and stories/experiences of your Volt or someone's you know or have driven.

Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      10-16-2011 08:12 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
      I'm well aware that of the aerodynamics advantages. I'm also doubt that is why these guys went with the shape. The Prius no doubt did it for aerodynamics. Honda and now GM are doing it because they are Prius knock-offs.

If makers truly cared that much, then the Mazda 3, Golf, xB, Cube, Focus et al would all look like the Prius.
      You are an idiot. I have no other response to this post. See the link above for a proper history lesson on the design.

2. 10-16-2011 08:22 PM #27
      "Carey Bailey, who drives 30 miles each day to work in Sutherlin in northern Douglas County, said he was unimpressed with electric cars that were so compact that they made him feel claustrophobic.

Bailey, who has been driving a Chevrolet Volt since January, described the financial benefits of his new car. He commutes daily to Sutherlin and said he swapped a $500 monthly gas bill for a $30 increase in his electricity bill."

Really? 30 miles to work, 30 miles home = 60 miles. With 23 working days per month, figure 1380 miles.

At $3.50 per gallon that is 142 gallons of fuel. So he USED to burn 142 gallons of fuel to go 1380 miles? That's a whopping 9.7mpg. I call total horsecrap on that.
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, The Daihatsu Rocky from Jurassic Park
      10-16-2011 08:26 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      "Carey Bailey, who drives 30 miles each day to work in Sutherlin in northern Douglas County, said he was unimpressed with electric cars that were so compact that they made him feel claustrophobic.

Bailey, who has been driving a Chevrolet Volt since January, described the financial benefits of his new car. He commutes daily to Sutherlin and said he swapped a $500 monthly gas bill for a $30 increase in his electricity bill."

Really? 30 miles to work, 30 miles home = 60 miles. With 23 working days per month, figure 1380 miles.

At $3.50 per gallon that is 142 gallons of fuel. So he USED to burn 142 gallons of fuel to go 1380 miles? That's a whopping 9.7mpg. I call total horsecrap on that.
      This JUST in: Guys will say anything to justify a purchase when their wife is hounding them about how $38,000 just disappeared from their joint checking account.
      I'm not happy until I've posted something

4. 10-16-2011 08:30 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      you really, really, really are a dumbass mother****er...

No they wouldn't...

You think the Volt went from its concept, to what it currently is, because they wanted it to rip off the prius?

gtfo you retard
      OK you fowl mouthed swine -

Why is the Cruze and Malibu not shape like a tear drop? Why is the Fit not a Tear Drop?

Seems to me that only Hybrids and electric cars are riding the tear-drop bandwagon.. one started with Toyota.

5. Member
      10-16-2011 08:32 PM #30
      We don't know what he went from to the Volt. He could have been driving an old Dodge Ramcharge with a 318 and a messed up transmission or a rotary engined car.

6. 10-16-2011 08:33 PM #31

Why is the Cruze and Malibu not shape like a tear drop? Why is the Fit not a Tear Drop?

Seems to me that only Hybrids and electric cars are riding the tear-drop bandwagon.. one started with Toyota.
      So I have bird lips around a pig body??

Hmm... Me thinks the ev1 was pretty tear dropped...

and they arent, because those vehicles are NOT for PURE mileage... hybrids/etc. are all for their fuel efficiency...
      Last edited by Nourdmrolnmt; 06-24-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Vehicles
      1997 VR6 Cabrio, RIP '98 GTI VR6
      10-16-2011 08:39 PM #32
      I see Leafs (Leaves?) on almost a daily basis in eco-happy Portland/Vancouver, and I still haven't seen a Volt at a dealership or in the wild.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1982 Audi GT coupe, '83 jetta coupe, 85 jetta TD
      10-16-2011 08:41 PM #33
      new jersey owner talks about it

"The lease is a really great deal for two reasons. First, I am only paying $337 a month and second, it is kind of like an extended beta test," said DiPisa. "I wanted to take a three-year lease, see where the development of the next model of Volt goes and take it from there when the lease is up. Given the homerun they hit with the first version, I'm sure I will be financing the second version when my lease is up."

"I get up in the morning, remote start the car for about five minutes to get the temperature nice, drive to work and then drive home at the end of the day. Just plug it in overnight and you're good to go the next day," said DiPisa. "The beauty of it is, even if you forget to plug it in, or if you drive further than the electric range, there is no worrying because you can keep going on the gas if you have to. I've gotten into a routine, just like plugging in my cell phone every night."
      comments were made in april

Mike DiPisa had been behind the wheel of a 2004 Chevy TrailBlazer, which averaged about 14 city and 19 highway miles per gallon. He dumped in about $100 a month to get where he needed, including his 26-mile round trip work commute to Hackensack where he is a web content and community manager for Slingo.com.
      DiPisa said he was given the car with eight gallons of gas in December and still has four in the tank.
      “I wasn't trying to wreck him, I just wanted to rattle his cage.”... Dale Earnhardt
      Quote Originally Posted by porridgehead
      It's all about the tires. I drove my M3 in the snow. With the summer tires on, it was the safest car in the world in the snow. In fact, it was a statue. You could not make it move with half an inch of snow on the ground.

Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      10-16-2011 08:47 PM #34
      I can only guess the monthly gas bill includes trips around town, not JUST work commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      So I have bird lips around a pig body??

Hmm... Me thinks the ev1 was pretty tear dropped...

and they arent, because those vehicles are NOT for PURE mileage... hybrids/etc. are all for their fuel efficiency...
      Win on all counts with this post

Vehicles
      99 A4 Avant
      10-16-2011 08:59 PM #35

Haha but no seriously. I want a volt. I think they're sweet.
      bweeeeeeeeeee *chirp* bwaaahhhhhhhhhhh Like a good neighbor state farm is there! With a 60/40 cupkit!

Quote Originally Posted by nfx View Post
      the mk3 forums are kicking ass tonight.
      Quote Originally Posted by SnaveZ View Post
      Just as I was saying, "well at least the air...." BOOM! The airbags went off.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Turbo Diesel Jetta
      10-16-2011 09:19 PM #36
      Frank Calciano's car (from 1st post) is low to the ground. So low that you'll scrap the rubber airdam on driveways and speedbumps easily. A little unnerving, but harmless

Last edited by lil' thumper; 10-18-2011 at 07:37 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman
      Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day

12. 10-16-2011 10:09 PM #37

Because there are tradeoffs to the design. This why the Fit, emphasizing utility and cargo room, does not have the same profile as the Insight despite riding on the same platform.

Started with Toyota? Let's see

First generation Prius (01-03):

First generation Insight (00-05):

Second generation Prius (04-09):

Looks like it is the other way around there.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '70 Datsun 510......early wabbit
      10-16-2011 10:17 PM #38
      Up in Saline, Michigan

Mark Hildebrandt developed a fondness for solar energy back in the 1970s. Over the years, it became his vocation. So, it's fitting that he counts on the sun to charge his Chevrolet Volt, right? Hildebrandt, owner of Sunventrix Solar in Saline, MI, says that:

I made the switch to renewable energy a while ago, and thus with solar energy, I can power my house, charge my Volt and pump energy back into the grid, which I get credit for. As more Volts are sold, I believe the demand for solar charging stations will increase. I have spoken to a handful of Volt owners in Michigan that are really interested in charging their Volts from solar energy.
      Hildebrandt is not the only one that's harnessing the sun's energy to charge his Volt. ZD Wines' chief executive officer, Robert deLeuze, has counted on the sun to power his California-based winery since 2007. Now, deLeuza's Volt is often plugged into the winery's photovoltaic system. DeLeuza's claims that:

Solar power generation makes sense, and I think the Volt will help generate more interest in home installations. ZD Wines has had a solar power station for the past three years and purchasing my Volt was a driving factor in installing a solar photovoltaic system at my house.
      Of course, even General Motors relies on the power of the sun to charge Volts at the Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant before the vehicles are hauled away to dealerships.
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      It's not hard to tell when a driver is texting. If I can do it while driving a manual, eating a cheeseburger AND loading a shotgun... the average driver, who is admittedly much smarter, and more coordinated than me, should be capable of seeing it too.

Vehicles
      Lexus Hybrid, '15 Panda Smart
      10-16-2011 10:28 PM #39
      DiPisa said he was given the car with eight gallons of gas in December and still has four in the tank.
      Shouldn't one worry about Bad Gas?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      two Audis, 79 wabbit diesel, two 84 jettas/85 jetta TD
      10-16-2011 10:43 PM #40
      it's all been built in to the programs.

If you don't burn enough of it, the car takes over and burns the gas before it goes stale

The Volt’s computer system is monitoring this activity—keeping track when the gas door opens and closes, how much time has passed, and how many EV miles you’ve driven since the gas engine was last called into action. If you open the gas door, but don’t put in any gas, the Volt knows. The car’s system is double-checking to make sure that new fuel has been added, because old stale gasoline is potentially bad for the system and bad for emissions. An outside temperature sensor is even keeping track of hot days to determine if the fuel might be cooking.

If you haven’t burned fuel for a while, the dashboard display will encourage you to burn some gas, by driving the vehicle beyond its 40 miles battery-supplied power. You can ignore the call to action, but after two warnings about the need to drive using some gasoline, the car will take matters into its own hands. The Volt will then start up the gas engine in order to burn off stale gasoline, circulate engine oil, and pressurize the engine system.

When the car completes this “engine and fuel maintenance mode,” it shuts down again, giving the reins solely back to the electric motor. At that point—for drivers who stay close to home—the gasoline is again left in reserve for days, weeks or months, until your next rare and infrequent trip to the pumps.
      http://www.plugincars.com/putting-th...olt-69473.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blackohio
      Built in boost gauge in the dash. One of my friends at the time saw that turbo was on theoretical empty and asked if we needed to stop and get more turbo. I gave it gas and he was like wait, its full now. Had to quickly explain the process.
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      so basically the OP has no clue about anything and just posts out of his ass?

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Diesel Jetta, mk1 jetta (gas)
      10-17-2011 12:56 AM #41

Nathan Pinsley 26... first time car buyer.

has it in New York city. Plugs into his underground garage.

What’s your favorite Volt feature?

Aside from the obvious (low-emission driving and freedom from oil dependence), my favorite feature is the "L" gear which makes stop and go driving in NYC much more tolerable because I can use the Volt's regenerative braking for "one pedal driving" instead of constantly switching back and forth to the brake pedal. Truly an under advertized feature.
      Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      My manager was concerned, he said "Mitch, don't use liquor as a crutch." I can't use liquor as a crutch... because a crutch helps me walk. Liquor severely screws up the way I walk.

10-17-2011 01:09 AM #42
      im going to try hard as hell to convince my dad to get one of these as his next car. his company gets him a car every 5 years or 100k miles and hes been driving an acadia, 7 passenger and 16mpg, to work and back every day by himself for the past few years.

hes convinced that our family needs a big car for long trips, with 2 kids in college and last summer myself and my sister living in dc and richmond doing internships, he only had my mom and little brother to drive around. i think its time for him to abandon the 90s love for cheap fuel and oversized cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

10-17-2011 01:26 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      Or what if you are in an area without cell coverage?
      Then you shouldn't buy a Volt in the first place because you live in the middle of nowhere.

10-17-2011 01:43 AM #44
      "Carey Bailey ... swapped a $500 monthly gas bill for a $30 increase in his electricity bill."

I wanted to look at the other side too, the $30 of electricity. A quick internet search pegs the energy consumption at about 3.8 cents per mile. Now assuming he gets free electricity at work (which is a trend that will likely only last until enough people do it to make it too expensive for employers) he's still paying for something like 700 miles worth. 700 * 0.038 = $26.6. Although the gas bill seems to be inflated bigtime, I can believe a $250/month gas bill and given the free electricity at work, the math seems to support a modest $30/month worth of electricity. So at least half of what he said checks out.

Vehicles
      00 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe
      10-17-2011 06:10 AM #45
      Cool info

21. 10-17-2011 07:12 AM #46
      I just love this car, its one of the best cars in the world. I don't know why, but i find it better than some of the leading cars in the market.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      1979 rabbit
      10-17-2011 08:41 AM #47
      Write up on Merit Herman's car

Herman, an executive with a Santa Cruz-based food nutritionals company, agrees with the accolades. He says the car’s performance has exceeded his expectations.

Buying an electric car probably isn’t a stretch for the 45-year-old married father of twins. After all, the roof of his two-story home is covered with solar panels. But the self-professed “solar geek” says he’s not a tree-hugging environmentalist, he’s just a practical spender who was also committed to buying an American car.
      Quote Originally Posted by Patton
      If everybody's thinking the same thing, then nobody's thinking.
      Quote Originally Posted by Einstein
      In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Vehicles
      Mk4 Jetta Wagon, WJ Grand Cherokke
      10-17-2011 08:43 AM #48
      I could see my family having a Chevy Volt on one side of the garage, and a Tesla Model S on the other...
      HAVE/HAD: Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac, Land Rover, VW (x5), Buick, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Dodge, Nissan, Ford, GMC, Jeep
      WANT: FIAT 500C Abarth, VW Scirocco Mk1, Alfa Romeo GTV, Lotus Esprit, Audi TT, 240Z, Lancer Evo VIII RS,
      Hudson Hornet, Porsche 964, Mini Cooper, Caterham SV, M-B CLS63 AMG, DeTomaso Pantera

24. 10-17-2011 09:14 AM #49
      Love this car. I can't wait until the second gen of the system, and hopefully they fit it in a smaller car like a Cruze or Sonic.

25. 10-17-2011 09:37 AM #50
      Can you guys post links if you're getting these stories from articles on other sites? I appreciate the info though. The Volt is a very cool car, it will be interesting to see how far the price of the technology can come down in the next decade or so.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast