Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Volt Pic Post.........High VOLTage or Low? Post pictures and stories/experiences of your Volt or someone's you know or have driven.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '81 Jetta TD
      11-12-2011 09:09 AM #401
      Whoa, now there, Saintor.......

I wasn't justifying going out and spending that kind of money.

The question was raised as to how he had a 492 dollar gas bill and I just broke it down based on his commute and previous vehicle.

heh... After all, this is TCL and land of justification of toys.

At any rate, everyone gets to make choices

Let's see if the Chinese spend some coin on it.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Mazda MX-6, 79 rusty bunny
      11-12-2011 09:20 AM #402
      Quote Originally Posted by darrenston View Post
      i want to know what happens if your out on a road trip and the car needs a charging are their gas stations that have a plug just for the volt or you just have to run on gas until you get back home i just came back from a 700 mile trip and i know i would of love to be driving a car like that to help save on gas.
      Currently any place that has an electrical outlet could be plugged in and charged with 110. It'll be slow with 110 volt.

Check the electric highway for upcoming charging stations for all electric cars (not just the Volt... it needs no special plug).

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...2#post74448062

Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with it, right? So a lot of times I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      How hard is that to understand without getting your panties in a bunch?
      Surely some of you guys managed to make it out of middle school.

11-12-2011 10:45 AM #403
      As EV's become more popular I wonder how owners will deal with the EV version of a full parking lot - all the charge ports taken.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk1 Scirocco, '83 TD Jetta
      11-12-2011 11:32 AM #404
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      As EV's become more popular I wonder how owners will deal with the EV version of a full parking lot - all the charge ports taken.
      A look at some things happening already in California.

As we bring electric vehicles into the mainstream, there are bound to be some logistical hiccups along the way.

California’s Governor, Jerry Brown, recently signed a law stipulating that battery-electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) can be towed if they are found parked in EV charging station parking spots and are not plugged into the stations. Seems logical. It’s like towing a car that’s illegally parked in a handicapped space, right?

Wrong. Here’s where it gets tricky: the existing EV etiquette deems that if an EV parked in a charging space has finished charging, a nearby EV owner may remove the charger and plug it into his or her own car. Now, under the new law, the EV owner who was parked in the designated EV charging space but is now charger-less could be towed.

The legislation has also drawn attention to the debate over PHEV rights, so to speak. Proponents of the law argue that it was needed to make sure that all EV owners would be able to use the chargers. Meanwhile, critics argue that since PHEVs should not be able to use public chargers because they use gasoline as a backup source of fuel, and so are not completely dependent on electricity.

The arguments are sure to continue. Jay Friedland, legislative director of EV advocacy group Plug In America, told AutoObserver that California lawmakers are already working to present a 2012 bill that would rectify the parking space dilemma. But Betsy Butler, of Torrance, California, who introduced the bill, said that as the number of EV drivers on the roads is set to increase dramatically over the next few years, legislation is needed to ensure equal access to existing chargers.

Consider this the beginning of a long discussion about how to accommodate the growing number of EVs on the road, as well as shaping evolving rules regarding electric vehicle etiquette.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/tran...arking-law/918

11-12-2011 12:59 PM #405
      ^

That's pretty smart to allow the removal of the charge cord. If cords are long enough to reach several spaces I parking should not be a problem...

...Unless of course all the spaces are near the front of whatever this parking lot services in which case finding a spot may not be easy. EV parking ports should be far far away

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 mini cooper S, '83 jetta
      11-12-2011 03:18 PM #406
      A little different view of the "gas only" mode fuel economy of the Volt.

better than reported previously

Update: Chevrolet Volt sees fuel economy increase
      Oct 26, 2011 3:15 PM

We have made an upward revision to the fuel-economy numbers for the Volt that we originally published in the October issue of Consumer Reports. When running on gasoline (aka charge-sustaining mode) rather than pure electric power, the highway-driving portion of the test moved from 36 to 41 mpg. The city figure got bumped from 21 to 23 mpg.

Our revision was prompted by General Motors, the Volt’s manufacturer, which alerted us to a previously unnoticed phenomenon peculiar to the car. Since in gas mode the engine devotes some of its power to partially recharging the drive battery to maintain it at about 20 to 25 percent state-of-charge, our original fuel count may have included more than the amount just needed to propel it. Our revision excludes those battery-maintenance portions to give a better idea of how much fuel the Volt uses once the electric portion is depleted.
      http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...-increase.html

Quote Originally Posted by wantacad View Post
      hey now, unbolting the rear bumper, dropping the beam and gas tank to change out an exhaust hanger is perfectly normal.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1963 Volvo 1800 S, '84 jetta
      11-12-2011 10:08 PM #407
      GM will build Volt's in China

U.S. lawmakers have complained that China is shaking down GM to get the technology that drives the Chevrolet Volt electric car. GM plans to start selling the Volt in China by the end of the year, but its prospects are iffy because it doesn't qualify for a Chinese government subsidy that amounts to $19,000 per car. The government offers the subsidy only to electric cars made in China.

Lawmakers contend such requirements are unfair and may violate world trade rules.
      But GM spokesman Jay Cooney in Detroit said the company has not been pressured by the Chinese government to share the Volt technology and has no plans to share it. He said GM is working with the Chinese government in an effort to get the subsidy for the Volt because it helps reach a government goal of getting more electric vehicles on the road

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/...#ixzz1dYE8Ir00
      Quote Originally Posted by cartalk
      "As near as I could tell, the car was built from compressed rust."

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
      11-13-2011 12:21 AM #408

GM seems ok with the low numbers of Volts sold... so far.

Despite all the hubbub over electric cars, Chevrolet has sold only 3,895 of its Volts through the first three quarters of the year. But that's OK, says General Motors' CEO for North America, Mark Reuss. The Volt is bringing in customers who end up buying lots of Chevy Cruzes.

The Volt is General Motors' wonder car. It's a plug-in electrric car that goes more than 25 miles on a single charge. Then a gas engine takes over. There's nothing else like it for sale, but it's expensive, at a starting price of $39,995 including shipping. The price, and perhaps the car's exotic engineering, account for the low sales.

Cruze sales, by contrast, are on fire. The compact was the nation's 11th-best-selling car last month, more popular than the Toyota Corolla. And Reuss says he thinks he knows one reason why: Customers lured to the showroom to check out the Volt are leaving with keys to a new $16,720 Cruze.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Honda S2000, 85 jetta
      11-13-2011 06:54 AM #409
      EV rally at Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kelton
      The difference between being in a relationship and being in prison is that in prisons they let you play softball on the weekends
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cotter
      There was an old woman that lived in a shoe. She had so many children, she didn't know what to do. How about you quit screwing, ya hosebag!

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Audi GT, old (but not tired) 84 jetta
      11-13-2011 12:12 PM #410
      Followup on the fire

Federal regulators have promised a full investigation of the spring incident in which the Volt caught fire and burned several nearby vehicles. That has raised serious questions about the safety of its batteries, though GM officials say it may instead require adapting federal crash tests -– as well as what happens in the field in the event of a real collision.

The fire occurred at a private facility in Wisconsin where NHTSA conducts crash tests on new vehicles. On May 12, the battery car was subject to a so-called “pole” test, where it was rammed into a barrier at 20 mph to simulate a side impact. The vehicle was then subject to what is known informally as the “rotisserie test,” where it is rolled over into various positions to test for leaks that might have occurred during the crash.
      Ironically, the Volt did well enough to earn a five-star rating, the best possible.

The wrecked vehicle was subsequently moved to what GM spokesman Rob Peterson called “the boneyard,” where it was left unattended, no action taken to deal with either the vehicle’s charged lithium-ion battery or the coolant fluid that had, in fact, leaked out after the crash test. The gas tank used to power Volt’s back-up gas engine was drained.
      Preliminary evidence indicates that over time the normally inert coolant came into contact with some of the LIon battery cells. In liquid form that would not be a problem, but it eventually “crystallized” as the Wisconsin weather turned cold at night, according to Peterson. That eventually led to the battery shorting out and catching fire, apparently, though a formal cause has not been announced by safety regulators.

So, was the fire the cause of negligence by NHTSA? Maybe yes, maybe no, according to the GM spokesman.
      “NHTSA didn’t follow our protocol,” which would have required the agency to “de-energize the battery after the crash test," Peterson said. But, Peterson quickly added that it appears NHTSA employees “didn’t know our protocol,” which was developed after GM conducted its own crash tests.
      The federal agency has since been advised what to do when crashing a battery car, which apparently would include other electric vehicles besides the Chevrolet Volt, particularly those using liquid cooling systems. (The Nissan Leaf uses an air cooling system, though it is unclear whether the maker will also be recommending that the battery be de-energized after an accident.)
      advertisement

“I want to make this very clear: the Volt is a safe car,” Jim Federico, the chief engineer on GM’s small and battery-powered vehicles, said in a statement. “We are working cooperatively with NHTSA as it completes its investigation. However, NHTSA has stated that based on available data, there’s no greater risk of fire with a Volt than a traditional gas-powered car.”
      Repeated efforts to reach an NHTSA spokesperson failed as the federal government was closed on Friday for Veterans Day.
      With electric propulsion capturing a disproportionate share of the headlines lately – at least compared to the minuscule market for battery-based vehicles, which will this year account for barely a 3 percent share of the U.S. market – world of the Chevy Volt fire has generated widespread headlines.

GM officials are worried that the incident could scuttle demand for the vehicle, which is just beginning to see a ramp-up in sales. And the impact could spread beyond Chevy showrooms.
      The Obama administration is looking to put 1 million battery cars on the road by 2015 and virtually every major automaker now has a plug-in hybrid or battery-electric vehicle in late development.
      Lithium technology is already in widespread use. And there have already been serious concerns raised about the use of lithium-ion technology, which has been linked to a number of fires involving laptop computers, mobile phones and other portable electronic devices. That has led to restrictions on carrying or shipping the batteries on airplanes, for examples.

But automakers like GM have insisted they are using safer versions of the LIon chemistry than is often used in consumer goods, where it is critical to maximize energy density – or stored power.
      While NHTSA may eventually give the Volt a clean bill of health, the Chevy plug-in was previously involved in an unexplained garage fire – though preliminary testing indicated the vehicle was not the cause of the problem.

Looking ahead, GM spokesman Peterson said GM plans to spread the word on the proper procedures for handling a Volt after a collision. It is currently sending a corporate “SWAT team” out to any such incidents to try to learn as much as possible about what happens and how to respond.
      The maker has been training first responders around the U.S. and one of the first steps involves disconnecting the battery.
      By early next year, said Peterson, the maker expects to distribute a special device specifically designed to de-energize the battery after a collision

11. 11-13-2011 12:36 PM #411
      It's funny how automobile manufacturers think this is the end all be all of power solutions for cars. What happened to Mr. Fusion? Why can't you take a dump in a special canister, place that in the tank and run zero emissions. We have the technology it tends to make me think the powers that be want us to exhaust natural fuel resources so they'll have us by the short and curlies. Oh wait they already do.......

Sorry I think these cars make as much sense as a solar powered flashlight. Besides don't you have to expend coal or fuel energy in order to charge the car from your home? I drive a diesel Jetta sportwagen not because I think I can help save the planet with using less fuel. I bought it because in the long run it makes financial sense to my wallet even after paying the extra cash for a diesel. Not hating on anyone's car in particular, but nothing is going to change until wr have a car that runs off of an unlimited fuel source that produces zero emissions GM doesn't have the answer with this $40k bucket of sh@t.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      1982 Audi GT coupe, '83 jetta coupe, 85 jetta TD
      11-13-2011 01:01 PM #412
      Quote Originally Posted by Jedidub View Post
      It's funny how automobile manufacturers think this is the end all be all of power solutions for cars. What happened to Mr. Fusion? Why can't you take a dump in a special canister, place that in the tank and run zero emissions. We have the technology it tends to make me think the powers that be want us to exhaust natural fuel resources so they'll have us by the short and curlies. Oh wait they already do.......

Sorry I think these cars make as much sense as a solar powered flashlight. Besides don't you have to expend coal or fuel energy in order to charge the car from your home? I drive a diesel Jetta sportwagen not because I think I can help save the planet with using less fuel. I bought it because in the long run it makes financial sense to my wallet even after paying the extra cash for a diesel. Not hating on anyone's car in particular, but nothing is going to change until wr have a car that runs off of an unlimited fuel source that produces zero emissions GM doesn't have the answer with this $40k bucket of sh@t.

I wanna see the poop car alongside the road... guy runs out of fuel and has to take a #2 alongside the road to keep going....

Valid points... I certainly don't think the owners I know are all that smug about the Volt. They understand the tradeoffs and decided to try something different (and could handle the entry cost).

They didn't approach it as a money saver or an investment (hell, what car is an investment, after all?)

As to running the electric off coal or fuel... that doesn't apply out here. Hydro-electric powerplants produce electricity very reliably.... doesn't mean they are free, just not much of a polluter.

BC Hydro north of here is getting on board as well
      “I wasn't trying to wreck him, I just wanted to rattle his cage.”... Dale Earnhardt
      Quote Originally Posted by porridgehead
      It's all about the tires. I drove my M3 in the snow. With the summer tires on, it was the safest car in the world in the snow. In fact, it was a statue. You could not make it move with half an inch of snow on the ground.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '70 Datsun 510......early wabbit
      11-13-2011 05:16 PM #413
      Because the Volt’s substantial 273 pound-feet of torque is available right when you step on the accelerator, the car feels quick when getting up to speed. Chevrolet claims a nine-second zero-to-sixty time, but the Volt feels faster than that. It has no problem merging into fast-moving traffic and effortlessly cruises at a steady 80 mph on the highway, even when racing up a hillside.

The suspension tuning is very similar to the Chevy Cruze, a deft blend of compliance over rougher pavement and firmness to clearly communicate the road surface to the driver. Handling on a twisty road is not the Volt’s greatest talent, but the car maintains a flat cornering attitude and is limited mainly by its low-rolling resistance all-season tires and 3,781-pound curb weight.

http://www.vehix.com/blog/reviews/re...s-electrifying
      Last edited by Barefoot_; 11-13-2011 at 05:19 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      It's not hard to tell when a driver is texting. If I can do it while driving a manual, eating a cheeseburger AND loading a shotgun... the average driver, who is admittedly much smarter, and more coordinated than me, should be capable of seeing it too.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '86 GTI, 79 diesel rat rabbit
      11-13-2011 07:14 PM #414
      more from that article

What About Comfort, Controls, and Cargo Capacity?

Four adults are a snug fit aboard the Volt, but every seat is comfortable and supportive. The driving position is excellent, and the Volt is equipped with a small-diameter, thick-rimmed steering wheel with thumb rests that’s a pleasure to grip. Add the optional Premium Trim Package, and the Volt gets perforated leather upholstery that makes it smell just like a Cadillac inside.

The rear seats are tight on legroom and headroom, but thanks to super-soft front seatbacks, lots of underseat foot space, and great thigh support, shorter adults will be comfortable for cross-town jaunts even if getting into and out of the back seat requires extra physical dexterity.

As for carrying children, I had no trouble installing forward- and reverse-facing car seats, though to accommodate the latter I needed to move the front passenger’s seat forward a notch or two in its track.

If you’re familiar with the Chevy Cruze’s dashboard, you can tell that it forms the basis of the Volt’s control layout. Chevy overlays Volt-specific design and technology, including a somewhat cheap-looking touch-sensitive center control panel, where everything looks the same and is equally spaced, making it hard to find what you want to use and then use it.

The cargo area is small at 10.3 cubic-feet, and it’s open and exposed to the cabin. My three-year-old thought that was pretty cool, and this design instantly endeared the Volt to her. A small stroller fits in the trunk, along with all the stuff my family carts around on a regular basis. A longer trip, however, would require very deliberate and conservative packing. Fold the rear seats down, and the Volt offers much more space.

The Volt’s charge port is located on the left side of the vehicle, just below and forward of the side mirror. Given that Americans parallel park with the right wheels at the curb and slant park with the right side of the car closest to the where a charging station might be located, this seems an odd location. In any case, Chevy makes it easy to find and release the charge port door thanks to an obvious button on the door panel.

The charge cord is stored in the trunk, in a special well designed to hold it in place. Removing it from its location under the trunk floor could be a problem if you’ve got a bunch of stuff in there and didn’t plan ahead.
      Quote Originally Posted by Will Rogers
      Never slap a man who is chewing tobacco.

11-13-2011 08:33 PM #415

Thanks for bringing your insight into a topic where is wasn't even relevant or needed. So instead of adding to the topic you have further helped push the stereotype of rabid oil burner fanbois. I'm sure all the folks who had a hand in bringing the Volt to market appreciate some TDI owner thinks the Volt is a bucket of sh*t.

I guess you missed a couple pages of this thread or the dozen or so other threads covering the Volt. had you bothered to read anything you might have learned the Volt is just one more step to a future where perhaps one day we all drive vehicles charged by renewal energy with a carbon neutral ranger extending engine. You don't get those results over night and we will never arrive there if we never build take steps like building the Volt.

F*ck your POS dirty smelly diesel I've got a horse outside.
      Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 11-13-2011 at 08:37 PM.

16. 11-13-2011 09:47 PM #416
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Thanks for bringing your insight into a topic where is wasn't even relevant or needed. So instead of adding to the topic you have further helped push the stereotype of rabid oil burner fanbois. I'm sure all the folks who had a hand in bringing the Volt to market appreciate some TDI owner thinks the Volt is a bucket of sh*t.

I guess you missed a couple pages of this thread or the dozen or so other threads covering the Volt. had you bothered to read anything you might have learned the Volt is just one more step to a future where perhaps one day we all drive vehicles charged by renewal energy with a carbon neutral ranger extending engine. You don't get those results over night and we will never arrive there if we never build take steps like building the Volt.

F*ck your POS dirty smelly diesel I've got a horse outside.
      Of course the volt is a bucket of s@it it's made by government motors.

17. 11-13-2011 09:54 PM #417
      Gotta love how chevy is making a carbon friendly car in the $40k range but on the other hand they make giant 9 mpg suv's that usually are only occupied by one person and those start in the $40k dollar range then they claim 21mpg right not even on a good day downhill with a tailwind. I'm just saying I'm not the one that paid 40g's for a plastic Gm with 15 year old technology given the companies track record I don't see customer service as one of their strong points when these cars start to go south.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 mini cooper S, '83 jetta
      11-13-2011 10:06 PM #418
      eh... just settle down. Fires in the parking lot are nothing compared to the flame throwing from you two.

No one said that GM or anyone else expects this type of car to wave a magic wand as to transportation power challenges

This is a pic post thread, not a mudwrestling thread.

Take it someplace else.

In other news on the EV front....

The company’s Sanya Skypump is one of several wind turbines it offers to municipal and commercial customers, but the Skypump is one that utilizes a GE developed WattStation rapid EV charger to present an all-in-one system aimed even at individual PHEV/EV owners.
      The Skypump “offers a net-zero energy solution for EV drivers around the globe,” according to an email by UGE’s David Droz at Urban Green Energy to Fast Company.
      Its technical advantage is that it captures wind at lower heights – around 42 feet high – and at lower wind speeds from all directions.
      in areas with sufficient wind, the Skypump will drive a four-kilowatt generator at wind speeds as low as 7 mph. Peak output caps at wind speeds above 26 mph.
      Residential customers can take advantage of the WattStation’s wall mounted data readout in a merged charger/wind turbine unit intended to take plug-in cars off the grid.
      Last edited by kasbah; 11-13-2011 at 10:08 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by wantacad View Post
      hey now, unbolting the rear bumper, dropping the beam and gas tank to change out an exhaust hanger is perfectly normal.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      11-13-2011 11:45 PM #419
      Like plugging anything else in for long periods at a time, sometimes things get hot. Just be careful and be aware.

According to an article at All Cars Electric, a number of Chevy Volt owners who regularly charge up their cars using standard 120v outlets and the included charging cable have noticed that the cable is getting hot and becoming discolored. One owner even reported a cable growing hot enough to cause a 2nd-degree burn. GM is reportedly making replacement cables available to owners whose cables become cracked or brittle.

The Chevy Volt may not have caused the fire that burned a garage in Connecticut last April, but that doesn't mean there's no potential for sparks. As with anything in your home that plugs into an outlet, there's always the possibility of a problem. The Volt's 16-kWh battery pack doesn't have the cavernous capacity of some pure EV systems, but recharging can still place a sizable draw on your home's power. For daily charging, GM recommends a 240-volt charging station that can take the batteries from 0 to 100 percent in around four hours. However, because the Volt can be charged in 10 hours using a normal 120v outlet, many owners have decided to avoid the expense of installing a charging station.

Vehicles
      2008 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE coupe
      11-14-2011 08:11 AM #420
      Gotta love how chevy is making a carbon friendly car in the $40k range but on the other hand they make giant 9 mpg suv's that usually are only occupied by one person and those start in the $40k dollar range then they claim 21mpg right not even on a good day downhill with a tailwind. I'm just saying I'm not the one that paid 40g's for a plastic Gm with 15 year old technology given the companies track record I don't see customer service as one of their strong points when these cars start to go south.
      It's amazing how someone can be as inept as you are.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      troll troll troll your boat, gently down the stream, merrily merrily merrily, life is about extremes.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      11-14-2011 08:17 AM #421
      41 mpg on gas only is pretty darn good for a car that is towing around a battery boat anchor of this magnitude (475 pounds of batteries)

As far as the electric use. Looks like around double an electric dryer

Vehicles
      Mk1, Canyonero
      11-14-2011 10:05 AM #422
      I love the Chevy Volt.
      Easy like Sunday Morning.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Turbo Diesel Jetta
      11-14-2011 04:13 PM #423

Update from the Calciano's

Fran Calciano after looking at the crashed Volt pictures:

Volt is a safe car from the looks of it and I'm glad to hear it! It sure feels smaller and therefore more vulnerable then driving the minivan. Glad to hear the design will keep us safer than it appears! We had a blast driving on windy roads to and from the coast this weekend - did a fun circular route to get us up to Western Oregon U. for Dennis on Saturday morning, leaving from Newport on the coast. It sure was pretty!
      Brakes are a little touchy for sure. It handles very well! The seats are quite comfortable but not much room to change position. We haven't decided whether we'll take it when we drive to California. It is definitely more fun to drive but less room to change position.
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman
      Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '79 rabbit, 85 jetta
      11-14-2011 06:35 PM #424
      Interesting how the charge port (as well as the whole car, of course) evolved since the concept

Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman View Post
      All of the rust, bondo, and patchwork done with old street signs gives them the crash safety of a cake decoration.

Vehicles
      '93 Corrado, '07 Mazda 3 CSV
      11-14-2011 06:55 PM #425
      Gawd I wished that the front end still looked like that.
      Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast