Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Volt Pic Post.........High VOLTage or Low? Post pictures and stories/experiences of your Volt or someone's you know or have driven.

04-06-2012 06:27 PM #771
      First problem for first Volt owner I know.

Flat tire. And even a phone alert when the car notices before the owner does!

Sent from my brat-pad while sipping weak girly drinks over fancy brunch with a view

2. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LEAF for the weekdays, E9 for the weekend
      04-06-2012 06:40 PM #772
      Couple fun Volt things from my Chevy dealer. Last month, I thought they did 35 or so. They sold 56 Volts! That's a huge amount for a single model.

I'm working with the owners on getting a 24 hour test drive in place. I'm doing it more for LEAF, since I want people to see what the car will do for a whole day to get over the range anxiety, but I figured why not do it with Volt too.

If I get the go ahead (we're looking into the legal aspect, insurance, liability, etc), I'll let you guys know, so if you're in the Bay Area and interested in either you can tool around in one for a day to see if it fits your needs.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      What I do in my free time.
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Turbo Diesel Jetta
      04-06-2012 08:59 PM #773
      There’s good news for the group of temporarily laid off workers at the Chevy Volt’s Detroit Hamtramck plant: Due to an uptick in sales and demand of the extended-range EV, General Motors announced production will resume a week earlier than planned.

GM halted Volt production on March 19 due to low demand. As a result, 1300 employees at the Volt’s facility were temporarily laid off for five weeks until production was scheduled to resume on April 23. Now, the Detroit Free Press is reporting workers will be called back in on April 16 due to an increase of Volts. A GM spokeswoman tells us employees were notified on April 3 that production would resume a week earlier than expected. Last month, Chevy sold 2289 units of the EV, which is more than double the 1023 sold during February and almost four times the amount sold in January 2012.
      “We are meeting supply and demand,” Mark Reuss, president of GM North America, said to the Detroit Free Press at the New York International Auto Show. “It’s not just Volt. It’s everything.”

The rise in demand may be due in part to the new Low Emissions Package offered on 2012 Chevy Volts sold in California. The package, which includes a number of hardware and software upgrades that reduce exhaust particulates, makes the Volt eligible for access to California’s coveted carpool lanes. It also adds an available $1500 tax rebate.

There’s no word if the increased demand will have any effect on the planned shutdown for the Detroit plant this summer. Earlier this week, GM said it would halt Volt production for three weeks in July instead of the normal two weeks to keep production in line with demand.
      Source: Detroit Free Press

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/and-were-b...#ixzz1rJOD4HNA
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman
      Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day

4. Member
      Vehicles
      two Audis, 79 wabbit diesel, two 84 jettas/85 jetta TD
      04-07-2012 12:39 PM #774
      Looks like Zip Car has several Volts available in Chicago

Man, I love that color. Why would you want silver/grey?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackohio
      Built in boost gauge in the dash. One of my friends at the time saw that turbo was on theoretical empty and asked if we needed to stop and get more turbo. I gave it gas and he was like wait, its full now. Had to quickly explain the process.
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      so basically the OP has no clue about anything and just posts out of his ass?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk1 Scirocco, '83 TD Jetta
      04-07-2012 10:10 PM #775
      Everything I've seen about the car shows it's perfectly happy being a 4 season performer.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Diesel Jetta, mk1 jetta (gas)
      04-08-2012 10:58 AM #776

Driving characteristics seem well behaved from my perspective (couple days in the driver's seat)
      Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      My manager was concerned, he said "Mitch, don't use liquor as a crutch." I can't use liquor as a crutch... because a crutch helps me walk. Liquor severely screws up the way I walk.

7. 04-08-2012 12:22 PM #777
      Topaz Blue seems to be one of those colors that changes in different lighting - love it

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 240 Z, early jetta TD
      04-08-2012 02:05 PM #778
      Topaz Blue... Fantastic!

White is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by David Votoupal
      The car sucked in every way imaginable, that it entered the annals as one of the worst cars ever built. It was shoddily built in a plant where labour relations were atrocious. It rusted like hell, and the aluminium engine had the durability of a soggy potato chip. Few cars could have been so thoroughly bad Despite the "explosion" controversy, the Ford Pinto compared favourably to the Vega, and that's saying something.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1979 rabbit
      04-08-2012 06:39 PM #779
      I'm curious what the 2014-15 version will bring as far as changes

Quote Originally Posted by Patton
      If everybody's thinking the same thing, then nobody's thinking.
      Quote Originally Posted by Einstein
      In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '68 Datsun Roadster
      04-10-2012 10:21 PM #780
      “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.”
      John Wayne

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 mini cooper S, '83 jetta
      04-14-2012 10:44 AM #781
      Quote Originally Posted by wantacad View Post
      hey now, unbolting the rear bumper, dropping the beam and gas tank to change out an exhaust hanger is perfectly normal.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '81 Jetta TD
      04-14-2012 02:41 PM #782

13. Member
      Vehicles
      mk1 jetta
      04-14-2012 08:49 PM #783

some picky things owners have talked about

1. Front air dam is too low - in hilly Seattle I cringe every time it scrapes - which happens multiple times a day.
      2. If you are > 6 feet tall the car can feel a little cramped
      3. The front roof posts are thicker than any car I've ever driven - pedestrians can be in the blind spot.
      although for the life of me, most new cars seem like the front posts are freakin' huge!!!
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      That's the dumbest goddamned bunch of jerkoffs I have EVER seen.
      Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
      When people say "clean as a whistle", they forget that a whistle is full of spit

14. Member
      Vehicles
      04-17-2012 10:56 PM #784
      hey now, unbolting the rear bumper, dropping the beam and gas tank to change out an exhaust hanger is perfectly normal.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '81 Jetta TD
      04-20-2012 09:03 PM #785

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
      04-21-2012 09:40 AM #786

His comments:

The Volt springs off the line in near silence. The instantaneous 273 pound-feet of torque was a pleasant and unexpected surprise. It’s hard to resist punching it from a standstill when next to fancy sport sedans or against my favorite friend, the Prius. While 0-30 mph in 3 seconds is no record, doing it in near silence sets it apart. Fortunately, flooring it regularly will not degrade or damage the 400-pound lithium-ion battery according to the experts.
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      It's like the prototype came out of the design studio and someone said, "Christ on a crutch, this is what our design team came up with?? A Camry???" And the front and rear fascia team said, "Not for long!"

17. Member
      Vehicles
      1963 Volvo 1800 S, '84 jetta
      04-21-2012 11:13 AM #787
      Anybody seen one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by cartalk
      "As near as I could tell, the car was built from compressed rust."

18. Member
      Vehicles
      04-21-2012 12:36 PM #788
      heh... Guess he just had to park on the lawn

19. Member
      Vehicles
      mk1 jetta
      04-21-2012 02:47 PM #789
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      That's the dumbest goddamned bunch of jerkoffs I have EVER seen.
      Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
      When people say "clean as a whistle", they forget that a whistle is full of spit

20. Member
      Vehicles
      Audi GT, old (but not tired) 84 jetta
      04-21-2012 03:36 PM #790

Our spy photographers recently stumbled across this Chevy Volt wearing bright chrome 20s.

it's a pre-production test mule for the 2014 Cadillac ELR. The ELR, formerly known as the Converj concept, was confirmed for production by GM in August and is rumored to get an upgraded drivetrain (more power can't hurt) and will certainly get upgraded rolling stock and a more Cadillac ride. .
      Quote Originally Posted by uncle_scott View Post
      Tailgating: driving so far up someone's ass that you can't see a road hazard ahead..

21. Member
      Vehicles
      04-21-2012 04:42 PM #791
      The next version of this. I wonder how different it'll be

22. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
      04-22-2012 09:28 AM #792
      Here come da' Fuzz?

It's like the prototype came out of the design studio and someone said, "Christ on a crutch, this is what our design team came up with?? A Camry???" And the front and rear fascia team said, "Not for long!"

23. Member
      Vehicles
      MB 300TD
      04-22-2012 02:29 PM #793
      Ampera

Haven't kept up on how it's doing

This car will be a great boost for the Opel and Vauxhall brands," predicts launch manager Ian Allen.
      Quote Originally Posted by classicjetta View Post
      It has ultra low miles because it doesn't run most of the time

24. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Diesel Jetta, mk1 jetta (gas)
      04-22-2012 05:04 PM #794
      Pretty nice to see Volt emerging from all that hoopla last year. It'll be interesting to see what lower gas prices do to sales. (if anything)

Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      My manager was concerned, he said "Mitch, don't use liquor as a crutch." I can't use liquor as a crutch... because a crutch helps me walk. Liquor severely screws up the way I walk.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      1979 rabbit
      04-22-2012 09:16 PM #795
      Cool... literally

04-22-2012 11:39 PM #796
      Quote Originally Posted by Terandyne View Post
      Cool... literally

Snowflake wheels are appropriate.
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i'd lock this thread but i have no clue how...

27. Member
      Vehicles
      04-23-2012 09:19 AM #797

Marriott, Hadley, Connecticut
      Built in boost gauge in the dash. One of my friends at the time saw that turbo was on theoretical empty and asked if we needed to stop and get more turbo. I gave it gas and he was like wait, its full now. Had to quickly explain the process.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
      05-01-2012 11:01 AM #798
      From the "hood" thread

Quote Originally Posted by MrMook View Post
      Speaking of style, I thought the Volt looked particularly appropriate as a traffic cop car. Much more "robocop" than the Prius' patrol cars:

29. 05-01-2012 03:34 PM #799
      ok so I have a few questions, forgive my ignorence ahead of time. So from what I've been reading the car will increase the mpg by going down hill. Now what if u were to tow the vehiclewith all four wheels on the ground and the car in the "on" position, will it in fact charge it self?

Also, we have come quite far with cars in the past decade. I know it will be a matter of time before the cars will charge faster, hold the charge longer and may in fact charge themselves. How soon do you think it will be before any of this can happen?
      Quote Originally Posted by Old Windy View Post
      Does that she Tropper has sideburns? It does not say were the accident happen? Any more to the story?
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      The ADs on the side of facebook are the least of my annoyances on facebook. People I went to high school with bombing photo after photo of their ugly baby, now that's annoying.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2012 02:27 AM #800
      Drives like an ace, nimble, fun, intuitive, and downright zippy when necessary. The Volt is compact inside, but never uncomfortable, and it provides the quietest ride of any car I've ever driven, including the Prius. In fact, it's better than the Prius in almost every way

31. Member
      Vehicles
      '68 Datsun Roadster
      05-04-2012 01:35 PM #801

one review

The good news to report here is that while the Chevrolet is no lightweight for its size, it doesn't drive like a heavy car. In fact, it feels light on its feet, helped somewhat by the mildly overboosted power steering. Around corners and in transitions, handling is helped by the mass of the battery pack being located centrally and low in the car.

The 273 lb-ft of torque from the electric motor makes Volt's acceleration a match to that of your average midsized, four-cylinder sedan. At highway speeds, the Volt is less responsive, but it had no trouble exceeding posted limits nor accelerating up to those speeds.

If there's an usual aspect to the Volt's dynamics, it's the regenerative braking. In emergency braking situations, I found the brakes a touch slow to respond to my initial pedal inputs. ABS, traction and stability systems were quick to engage when I pushed the limits of the tires. Over certain road imperfections, the Volt can feel under-sprung and under-damped - this is where I'd prefer a slightly stiffer spring paired with a better shock. Most drivers will enjoy the soft ride.

During my cold days testing the Volt, I had three days of pure electric operation. With low overnight temperatures at or below freezing, the Volt calculated a maximum of 38 to 40 kilometres of electric range. In city driving, I would see a real-world maximum of 28 kilometres before the onboard, gasoline-powered generator had to run. With an empty battery, charge time was a reasonable seven hours on my household 120V outlet.
      “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.”
      John Wayne

32. Member
      Vehicles
      1963 Volvo 1800 S, '84 jetta
      05-05-2012 11:03 AM #802
      Quote Originally Posted by cartalk
      "As near as I could tell, the car was built from compressed rust."

33. Member
      Vehicles
      05-05-2012 02:58 PM #803
      According to those I've talked to who have one, it doesn't take long to get in the habit to plug 'em in and stay charged up.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      1979 rabbit
      05-05-2012 07:06 PM #804

35. Member
      Vehicles
      '70 Datsun 510......early wabbit
      05-06-2012 05:45 PM #805
      Sweet shot on the coast

Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      It's not hard to tell when a driver is texting. If I can do it while driving a manual, eating a cheeseburger AND loading a shotgun... the average driver, who is admittedly much smarter, and more coordinated than me, should be capable of seeing it too.

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast