Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Volt Pic Post.........High VOLTage or Low? Post pictures and stories/experiences of your Volt or someone's you know or have driven.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      mk1 jetta
      12-15-2011 02:21 PM #651
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      That's the dumbest goddamned bunch of jerkoffs I have EVER seen.
      Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
      When people say "clean as a whistle", they forget that a whistle is full of spit

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1982 Audi GT coupe, '83 jetta coupe, 85 jetta TD
      12-16-2011 01:09 AM #652
      “I wasn't trying to wreck him, I just wanted to rattle his cage.”... Dale Earnhardt
      Quote Originally Posted by porridgehead
      It's all about the tires. I drove my M3 in the snow. With the summer tires on, it was the safest car in the world in the snow. In fact, it was a statue. You could not make it move with half an inch of snow on the ground.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      MB 300TD
      12-16-2011 01:57 PM #653

I like this shot in the sun

Quote Originally Posted by classicjetta View Post
      It has ultra low miles because it doesn't run most of the time

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk1 Scirocco, '83 TD Jetta
      12-17-2011 04:46 PM #654

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 mini cooper S, '83 jetta
      12-19-2011 11:04 AM #655
      Quote Originally Posted by wantacad View Post
      hey now, unbolting the rear bumper, dropping the beam and gas tank to change out an exhaust hanger is perfectly normal.

Vehicles
      2013 focus ST ST3
      12-19-2011 12:11 PM #656
      Listening to biggots such as Cavuto on Faux news wants me to buy a volt

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Honda S2000, 85 jetta
      12-19-2011 12:55 PM #657
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kelton
      The difference between being in a relationship and being in prison is that in prisons they let you play softball on the weekends
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cotter
      There was an old woman that lived in a shoe. She had so many children, she didn't know what to do. How about you quit screwing, ya hosebag!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Diesel Jetta, mk1 jetta (gas)
      12-21-2011 07:33 PM #658
      Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      My manager was concerned, he said "Mitch, don't use liquor as a crutch." I can't use liquor as a crutch... because a crutch helps me walk. Liquor severely screws up the way I walk.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Mazda MX-6, 79 rusty bunny
      12-22-2011 09:08 PM #659
      Cliffside Park, N.J. had one on loan

Cliffside Park Police Chief Donald Keane said driving the Volt was an "interesting experience."

"The fact that there was no noise, no vibration, no odor of the engine was a unique experience. It had a very smooth and surprisingly impressive acceleration. Even when the battery power was exhausted the gasoline powered engine came on seamlessly and automatically.
      I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with it, right? So a lot of times I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      How hard is that to understand without getting your panties in a bunch?
      Surely some of you guys managed to make it out of middle school.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      12-25-2011 11:22 PM #660
      looking for numbers sold into the new year

“I wasn't trying to wreck him, I just wanted to rattle his cage.”... Dale Earnhardt
      It's all about the tires. I drove my M3 in the snow. With the summer tires on, it was the safest car in the world in the snow. In fact, it was a statue. You could not make it move with half an inch of snow on the ground.

11. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '15 e250 bluetec, '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt
      12-26-2011 12:55 AM #661
      Quote Originally Posted by mitcompressor View Post

im curious to see what used prices of these do...

a coworker has a leaf that he really enjoys so ive spent some time in that. would definitely consider one second hand...

never been in a volt, but definitely also curious to see what prices of those do as well

12. Member
      Vehicles
      12-27-2011 11:05 AM #662
      http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/bu...l?pagewanted=1

GM wants to sell in China's electric car industry

Meanwhile:

In China, Power in Nascent Electric Car Industry

Forbes Conrad for The New York Times
      Charging an electric car at the China Southern Power Grid center in Guangzhou, China.
      By KEITH BRADSHER
      Published: December 26, 2011

GUANGZHOU, China — Three years ago, as part of its green-energy policy, the Chinese government set an ambitious goal: by the end of 2011, the nation would be able to produce at least 500,000 hybrid or all-electric cars and buses a year.

With only about a week to go, it is clear China will fall far short of that target. Despite dozens of electric-vehicle demonstration projects around the country, analysts put China’s actual annual production capacity at only several thousand hybrid and all-electric cars and buses.

“It’s pretty trivial at this stage — they hardly sell any,” said Lin Huaibin, the manager of China vehicle sales forecasts at IHS Automotive, a global consulting firm.

Obstacles include continued technological hurdles, disputes over technology transfers by multinational automakers, and a broad wariness by the Chinese public regarding alternative-technology cars.

But it would be shortsighted to count out China’s electric car efforts just yet. Only a few months ago Prime Minister Wen Jiabao called for Beijing to create a new “road map” for energy-saving vehicles.

Unlike in other nations, where automakers are leading the push for electric vehicles, in China the effort is being led largely by one of the country’s most powerful industries — the state-run electric companies that operate the national power grid. With China expected to surpass the United States in the number of all vehicles on the road by as early as 2020, the government-run utilities see it as their job to provide an alternative to imported oil as a way to power several hundred million cars, trucks and buses.

This month in this sprawling southern industrial city, for example, the giant China Southern Power Grid company opened a sales and service center for electric cars.

The new three-story building, resembling a giant lizard egg of lime-green glass, is a showcase for technology supplied by Better Place, a start-up based in Palo Alto, Calif. Under the Better Place business model, customers do not recharge their electric cars but instead periodically stop at an electric filling station to swap their nearly depleted batteries for freshly charged ones.

And just because there are no customers kicking the tires now doesn’t mean China Southern Grid, as it is commonly known, isn’t in the electric-vehicle game for the long haul. The power company and Better Place are in talks to sell electric cars to the Guangzhou municipal government and to taxi fleets, according to Shai Agassi, Better Place’s founder and chief executive.

The demonstration project showcases imported Renault Laguna sedans and Nissan Dualis crossover utility vehicles whose gasoline-fueled power trains have been replaced with electric motors and swappable batteries. But the companies are in talks with Chinese automakers to produce battery-powered cars, for which no price has been set.

In a separate bet, meanwhile, China Southern Grid has also built recharging stations in another big southern industrial city, Shenzhen, for electric buses and cars made by a Chinese automaker, BYD, which has Warren E. Buffett among its investors.

Though automakers in other countries have supplied charging equipment to be installed at homes and parking lots, China’s power industry has already made it clear that it wants to dictate when and how plug-in gasoline-electric hybrids and all-electric cars are charged, by owning the charging equipment and setting technical standards.

“It is more and more difficult to manage the grid; we need more flexibility,” by controlling how cars are recharged, said Zhang Diansheng, the deputy general manager of China Southern Grid.

After initially seeking to leapfrog Japan and the West by moving straight from internal combustion engines to cars powered only by batteries, Chinese policy makers are now paying more attention to hybrids that combine gasoline engines with electric motors. (As battery-fire problems with the Chevrolet Volt in the United States have recently indicated, technical problems still bedevil electric automotive technology.)

Even some of the Chinese companies like BYD that have bet most heavily on all-electric cars are now investing in plug-in hybrid cars that have gasoline engines as well as batteries.

“More and more companies are certainly going to do it like this,” Wang Chuanfu, BYD’s founder and chairman, said in an interview at his company’s headquarters in Shenzhen. But he quickly added, “there is still tremendous potential in the Chinese market for electric cars.”

watching a battery replacement

Some of the obstacles that have slowed deployment of all-electric cars in China also exist in other markets. The cars’ range, less than 200 miles even under ideal conditions, falls steeply in cold weather, if the air-conditioner is turned on or if the car was not fully charged overnight.

“I’m not interested in them — I worry I’d run out of electricity and get stuck,” said Mu Zhongbao, a 31-year-old businessman who paid the equivalent of $130,000 for an Audi Q7 minivan on a recent afternoon here at one of the many dealerships near the Better Place site.

Southern China Grid’s Better Place demonstration project indicates that powerful interests in China still back the development of all-electric cars.

“I see the Chinese fully committed on a path toward electric vehicles — the time frame may shift, the volume numbers may shift,” said Raymond Bierzynski, the executive director of electrification strategy at General Motors China.

Some executives say that China has fallen behind its schedule for hybrid and all-electric cars because it has put heavy pressure on multinationals to transfer technology to their Chinese partners to be eligible for generous subsidies for the sale of alternative-energy vehicles in China. Some foreign manufacturers have responded by withholding some of their latest models from the Chinese market — as Nissan has with the electric Leaf.

G.M. has put the Volt on sale in China, despite the Chinese government’s decision to make it ineligible for renewable energy subsidies of up to $19,300 per car. That is because G.M. has not transferred enough of the technology to satisfy Beijing, although G.M. did agree this autumn to share some electric technology in the coming years.

“By forcing foreign technology sources into a junior role, that’s going to significantly slow the development of the technology in China,” said Bill Russo, a former auto executive who oversaw the Chinese and Korean markets for Chrysler and is now an industry consultant in Beijing.

But the betting in China is that China Southern Grid and another big grid operator, the State Grid Corporation, and their allies among the country’s five main electricity generation companies have much more influence in Beijing than the auto industry.

The Chinese auto industry was tiny until the last decade, and very few of its executives have wound up in senior government positions. By contrast, specializing in electric power has long been a path to the top of the Chinese Communist Party for leaders like Li Peng, the former premier.

And as long as the electric companies are influential, all-battery cars may hold the political edge over hybrids.

But what is not clear is which of three experimental approaches to recharging will eventually dominate the field: the so-called fast charging of vehicle batteries at recharging centers; overnight charging options at homes and parking lots; or battery swapping à la Better Place.

Meantime, World Trade Organization rules are also influencing how China approaches electric cars, said a Chinese official close to the decision-making who insisted on anonymity because he was not authorized to publicly discuss transportation policy.

The government wants to build an electric car industry that can export vehicles all over the world. But it does not want to someday face W.T.O. trade complaints from other countries that might accuse China of violating free-trade export rules by subsidizing the industry’s development. With China having raised trade tensions with the United States earlier this month by slapping additional tariffs on a range of American imported autos, Beijing may need to tread more carefully than ever.

The most promising trade strategy for China to avoid legal pitfalls might be for the government first to subsidize the development of a network of charging stations for electric buses and other municipal vehicles, the Chinese official said. Mass transit subsidies are hard to challenge at the W.T.O. because they involve an almost purely domestic government service.

The bus recharging stations, and the lessons learned in building them, might then be used in a more extensive network of electric car recharging stations. Subsidizing the charging stations could help make electric cars more affordable, and in turn help Chinese automakers achieve economies of scale in their home market that would help them build up an export business.

Already BYD is expanding its annual capacity to manufacture all-electric buses — 1,000 this year, up from 500 last year and with a target of 5,000 next year.

Mr. Agassi of Better Place predicted China would become a large-scale maker of electric cars and then start exporting them. “This is the fork-in-the-road moment” for China, Mr. Agassi said. “You get to a trade deficit on oil imports, or you get to a trade surplus with a lot of car exports.”
      Last edited by mitcompressor; 12-27-2011 at 11:10 AM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1963 Volvo 1800 S, '84 jetta
      01-05-2012 08:57 PM #663
      talked to a friend who has one.

he absolutely loves the thing

Quote Originally Posted by cartalk
      "As near as I could tell, the car was built from compressed rust."

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Diesel Jetta, mk1 jetta (gas)
      01-06-2012 11:33 AM #664
      Car, if used as intended, performs excellently.

If you want to drive a long distance on a whim, no problem

My manager was concerned, he said "Mitch, don't use liquor as a crutch." I can't use liquor as a crutch... because a crutch helps me walk. Liquor severely screws up the way I walk.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      MB 300TD
      01-06-2012 12:39 PM #665
      Volt owners get to take a holiday from their cars

Will be interesting to see how smoothly this goes

In a statement, NHTSA said it crashed a Volt retrofitted with GM’s newly designed steel reinforcement device in a side-pole impact test on December 22. The results of that crash test showed no intrusion into the vehicle’s battery compartment, and no coolant leakage was apparent. As a precaution, NHTSA has monitored the crashed vehicle since the test and will continue to do so for one more week. But the agency said the preliminary results of the crash test indicate that GM’s fix should solve the problem.
      Quote Originally Posted by classicjetta View Post
      It has ultra low miles because it doesn't run most of the time

Vehicles
      2015 Dodge Challenger RT, 2015 Ram
      01-06-2012 12:55 PM #666
      Quote Originally Posted by mitcompressor View Post

GM sold 7,671 Volts in 2011. Pretty unspectacular and 25 percent below their goal. GM is in trouble.

17. Former Advertiser Brandon@SoCalStanceShop's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SEL, 2012 Fiat 500 Sport
      01-06-2012 01:00 PM #667
      Quote Originally Posted by Soldaten View Post
      GM sold 7,671 Volts in 2011. Pretty unspectacular and 25 percent below their goal. GM is in trouble.
      IMO you're so wrong in so many ways. Here are the big 3

1) These "goals" that the MFGs state are, most of the time, VERY inflated and used to give a sense of confidence and excitement. Case in point: FIAT stated a goal of 50,000 cars in their first year. They sold just over 20,000. Sounds like a huge flop, right? Well, they out-sold MINI during the same period.

2) The Volt is an all-new technology and GM gets to have over 7,000 test cars running around which they aren't paying for. Like with all new technology, it's in the hands of a select few until it is seen as a success, duplicated, and made less expensively.

3) The Volt has converted me from someone that would NEVER consider something with an electric motor in it. It doesn't look half bad and doesn't really compromise anything. Most people can live mostly on electric charge but those that want to drive distances occasionally (like the 300 mile trip to Vegas I do a few times a year) aren't constrained.

I think Chevy has a winner

Vehicles
      2015 Dodge Challenger RT, 2015 Ram
      01-06-2012 01:21 PM #668
      Quote Originally Posted by Brandon@SoCalStanceShop View Post
      IMO you're so wrong in so many ways. Here are the big 3

1) These "goals" that the MFGs state are, most of the time, VERY inflated and used to give a sense of confidence and excitement. Case in point: FIAT stated a goal of 50,000 cars in their first year. They sold just over 20,000. Sounds like a huge flop, right? Well, they out-sold MINI during the same period.

2) The Volt is an all-new technology and GM gets to have over 7,000 test cars running around which they aren't paying for. Like with all new technology, it's in the hands of a select few until it is seen as a success, duplicated, and made less expensively.

3) The Volt has converted me from someone that would NEVER consider something with an electric motor in it. It doesn't look half bad and doesn't really compromise anything. Most people can live mostly on electric charge but those that want to drive distances occasionally (like the 300 mile trip to Vegas I do a few times a year) aren't constrained.

I think Chevy has a winner
      GM's sales goal was very modest. Combine the lackluster sales with the recall and the Volt was one of 2011's biggest flops.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Turbo Diesel Jetta
      01-06-2012 01:36 PM #669
      ah... geeez

can we somehow... possibly.... just a little, keep other crap out of this thread?

thank you and now we return to our regularly scheduled programming.

a little levity while I regroup some current pictures of Frank Calciano's Volt

Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman
      Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day

20. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
      01-06-2012 01:38 PM #670
      Quote Originally Posted by lil' thumper View Post
      ah... geeez

can we somehow... possibly.... just a little, keep other crap out of this thread?

thank you and now we return to our regularly scheduled programming.
      x2

21. Member
      Vehicles
      Audi GT, old (but not tired) 84 jetta
      01-06-2012 04:22 PM #671

report from rio rancho

not mine
      First drive in snow weather with my 2012 Chevy Volt. The front wheel drive and added battery weight allowed the vehicle to perform fine. I was able to drive 37 miles on the battery in this weather. The gas generator did fire up a few times due to the outside temperature being below at least 25°F.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      '68 Datsun Roadster
      01-07-2012 02:05 AM #672

Into 2012 and a new sales year awaits.
      “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.”
      John Wayne

23. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Mazda MX-6, 79 rusty bunny
      01-07-2012 12:28 PM #673
      Going back to look at the original assembly of the battery pack and the area they are beefing up.

Looks like a fairly straightforward in and out.

I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with it, right? So a lot of times I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      How hard is that to understand without getting your panties in a bunch?
      Surely some of you guys managed to make it out of middle school.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      01-07-2012 03:41 PM #674
      She likes it

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '86 GTI, 79 diesel rat rabbit
      01-07-2012 04:38 PM #675
      Quote Originally Posted by Will Rogers
      Never slap a man who is chewing tobacco.

Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast