Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Volt Pic Post.........High VOLTage or Low? Post pictures and stories/experiences of your Volt or someone's you know or have driven.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '70 Datsun 510......early wabbit
      09-21-2012 12:16 PM #901
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      It's not hard to tell when a driver is texting. If I can do it while driving a manual, eating a cheeseburger AND loading a shotgun... the average driver, who is admittedly much smarter, and more coordinated than me, should be capable of seeing it too.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1982 Audi GT coupe, '83 jetta coupe, 85 jetta TD
      09-21-2012 12:17 PM #902
      Car seats?

“I wasn't trying to wreck him, I just wanted to rattle his cage.”... Dale Earnhardt
      Quote Originally Posted by porridgehead
      It's all about the tires. I drove my M3 in the snow. With the summer tires on, it was the safest car in the world in the snow. In fact, it was a statue. You could not make it move with half an inch of snow on the ground.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Audi GT, old (but not tired) 84 jetta
      09-21-2012 12:20 PM #903
      Seems like car seats work just fine

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_scott View Post
      Tailgating: driving so far up someone's ass that you can't see a road hazard ahead..

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk1 Scirocco, '83 TD Jetta
      09-21-2012 12:22 PM #904
      I'll add in this:

Vehicles
      2007 Audi RS4, 2008 BMW Z4M, 2010 Audi Q5 S-line
      09-21-2012 01:11 PM #905
      Quote Originally Posted by Powderkeg View Post
      I'll add in this:

Thanks. Man, you guys are on it!

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk1 Scirocco, '83 TD Jetta
      09-21-2012 10:04 PM #906
      I can't help it.

I'm partial to red.

Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      09-21-2012 10:58 PM #907
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      Our new News Director at work owns a Volt. Drove it cross country from Florida. Been meaning to ask him how the trip went. Will post my findings here.
      Any more on this?

Question: when operating on generator vs. battery, is there *any* perceptible difference in performance?

8. 09-21-2012 11:47 PM #908
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      Any more on this?

Question: when operating on generator vs. battery, is there *any* perceptible difference in performance?
      I can answer this.

No. It drives just like a normal hybrid. If you have driven a Prius, it behaves quite similarly in Charge Sustaining Mode (battery depleted).

In extreme sitiuations (in the mountains, for instance, on CS mode) I have heard that performance is reduced. Then again, so are most NA cars.
      2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition30, Pure White/Black V-tex/carbon
      2015 Toyota Sienna SE, Predawn Gray Mica/Black

Son of a gun / Master of fate / Bows to no god, kingdom, or state.

9. 09-22-2012 12:14 AM #909
      Sorry.. just had to post that I thought it was funny that only car seat brands like Clek, Britax, and Recaro would pop up in this thread. Lots of smug up in here.. and it doesn't stop at the hybrid car evidently.

Just having fun yall.. I love the Volt... Absolutely don't understand it's "soft" reception by the public.. I can only guess it's a recession/price thing.

I'm absolutely considering this as a third commuter car one day.

Thought the comment about this being the most consistently boring thread on TCL was perfect. I've been monitoring this thread for a long time because I love the Volt.. but it's not the most exciting thread around.. :-)

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 240 Z, early jetta TD
      09-23-2012 10:15 AM #910
      I just thought I'd post (perhaps a repost) of a test of the car from back aways. Looks like it can do reasonably well when driven hard. Not spectacular results, but it doesn't seem to fall on it's face either

**I don't remember the steering seeming vague on the one I drove, but then I wasn't 10/10ths at the track with the car either

and others have talked about skidpad figures up into the 8 range. Car and Driver got an 8.3 on the skidpad

Test Results:

EV Mode
      0-30 (sec): 3.4
      0-45 (sec): 5.8
      0-60 (sec): 9.2
      0-75 (sec): 14.1
      1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 16.8 @ 81.5
      0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 8.8

Gasoline Generator
      0-30 (sec): 3.6
      0-45 (sec): 5.8
      0-60 (sec): 9.0
      0-75 (sec): 13.2
      1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 16.6 @ 85.5
      0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 8.6

30-0 (ft): 31
      60-0 (ft): 124

Slalom (mph): 60.2
      Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.77

Db @ Idle: EV: 27 (Gas: 48.5)
      Db @ Full Throttle: EV: 54 (Gas: 78.2)
      Db @ 70 mph Cruise: EV: 67.4 (Gas: 73.7)

Acceleration Comments: EV mode: Exceptionally quiet with just a little bit of motor whine, but mostly just wind noise. Very linear acceleration. Obviously, no shifting. A little bit of brake-throttle overlap is good for best launch. Best results in Sport mode. Gas-generator mode: Still linear, but you can definitely hear/feel the engine thrum.

Braking Comments: Consistent stopping distance, negligible fade, firm pedal, some rear-end wiggle and wander. Pronounced dive.

Handling Comments: Skid pad: Very little, if any, brake correction; rather it just hits a wall of understeer. Steering is light and vague. Slalom: Prefers less-is-more with as little steering input as possible. Steering is responsive, but vague feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by David Votoupal
      The car sucked in every way imaginable, that it entered the annals as one of the worst cars ever built. It was shoddily built in a plant where labour relations were atrocious. It rusted like hell, and the aluminium engine had the durability of a soggy potato chip. Few cars could have been so thoroughly bad Despite the "explosion" controversy, the Ford Pinto compared favourably to the Vega, and that's saying something.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan, 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      09-23-2012 10:23 AM #911
      Quote Originally Posted by Wheelstand View Post
      I just thought I'd post (perhaps a repost) of a test of the car from back aways. Looks like it can do reasonably well when driven hard. Not spectacular results, but it doesn't seem to fall on it's face either

**I don't remember the steering seeming vague on the one I drove, but then I wasn't 10/10ths at the track with the car either

and others have talked about skidpad figures up into the 8 range. Car and Driver got an 8.3 on the skidpad
      The chassis is fantastic. Steering is a little too light...the 'less is more' steering input comment definitely hits home w/me.

Figure I might as well do a little self-promo here.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Mazda MX-6, 79 rusty bunny
      09-30-2012 07:33 PM #912
      Now that Tesla is going solar power for their "SuperCharger", I'd like to see more installations on homes using solar charging.

Anyone have a Volt out there or know of one that is using the sun for backup?

Here is a bit of info of things happening in Texas:

http://"SunEdison developing home so...acquire Volts.

SunEdison developing home solar charging systems for Chevrolet Volt
      2 October 2011
      SunEdison, a subsidiary of MEMC Electronic Materials, Inc., has joined the Pecan Street Inc. smart grid project. As part of its role, SunEdison will be leading development of the advanced home solar photovoltaic (PV) charging systems for the Chevrolet Volt.

Pecan Street Inc. is creating a consumer-focused smart-grid demonstration project in Austin, Texas, built around home applications, and consumer electronics. SunEdison joins other participating companies—Best Buy, Check-It, Chevrolet, Freescale, Intel, Landis+Gyr, Sony and Whirlpool—in deploying products and dedicating researchers to the project who will collaborate with Pecan Street Inc. and University of Texas researchers.

Deployments by member companies include one of the nation’s most highly concentrated residential installations of EVs, home services systems, smart appliances and charging of cars from home solar panels.

A number of the SunEdison-led home solar vehicle charging systems will also have in-home batteries, and all systems will integrate into the home services systems provided by other companies in the Pecan Street Inc. project including Best Buy/Check-It, Intel, Sony and Whirlpool. More than 150 participating residents will have rooftop solar PV, including nearly all of the residents who acquire Volts.
      Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with it, right? So a lot of times I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      How hard is that to understand without getting your panties in a bunch?
      Surely some of you guys managed to make it out of middle school.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '68 Datsun Roadster
      10-01-2012 12:00 PM #913
      I'll just add this to the mix:

“Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.”
      John Wayne

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1963 Volvo 1800 S, '84 jetta
      10-01-2012 12:59 PM #914
      So you'll need a fair amount of roof space. Nothing spectacular as far as size though.

At current efficiencies it takes around 15 200w panels worth for a one day charge. That's about 192 sq feet.
      Quote Originally Posted by cartalk
      "As near as I could tell, the car was built from compressed rust."

15. Member
      Vehicles
      10-01-2012 10:50 PM #915
      Speaking of solar charging, if you are an Oregon resident you may want to check out the Solarize programs.

An example: Solarize Eugene

http://solarizeeugene.info/faq/

http://solarizeeugene.info/storage/S...ionWebsite.pdf
      It's not hard to tell when a driver is texting. If I can do it while driving a manual, eating a cheeseburger AND loading a shotgun... the average driver, who is admittedly much smarter, and more coordinated than me, should be capable of seeing it too.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Honda S2000, 85 jetta
      10-02-2012 11:04 AM #916
      The Electric Utility, state and federal incentives are certainly in your favor for the Volt in Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kelton
      The difference between being in a relationship and being in prison is that in prisons they let you play softball on the weekends
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cotter
      There was an old woman that lived in a shoe. She had so many children, she didn't know what to do. How about you quit screwing, ya hosebag!

17. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      10-02-2012 06:07 PM #917
      Quote Originally Posted by TopDown_ View Post
      The Electric Utility, state and federal incentives are certainly in your favor for the Volt in Oregon.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Turbo Diesel Jetta
      10-02-2012 07:14 PM #918
      Frank Calciano (the original Volt owner on page one) has just installed the solar panels for his house and calculated that with the incentives and programs available in Eugene that he'll have paid off his system in 6 years and can then be running the Volt off the sun each day for the first 35 miles or so. He still charges at the office (real estate appraiser) so he's paying for the boost if he needs it off the grid. Even so he's well on his way to making things work nicely.

I'll update his installation shortly

Last edited by lil' thumper; 10-03-2012 at 01:24 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman
      Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Turbo Diesel Jetta
      10-03-2012 01:24 PM #919
      Frank Calciano went with 12 panels and chose an inverter for each panel. That way if one goes down the rest of the system stays up. He paid a bit of a premium to get black panels to blend a bit more into the roof

He's hooked in to the local utility EWEB and the installation was done by Pacific Solar and Energy.

Total cost was under $15K

Oregon tax credit: 6000
      Fed tax credit: 2500
      EWEB paid cash to the installers as part of a green energy initiative in Oregon: 4500

Looks like his out of pocket cost was less then $2,000

Frank calculates he'll have paid the whole thing off in 6 years. He gets 300-350 a year selling his solar electric power back into the web. Pretty nice deal.

All made in America.
      Inverters are California made
      Everything else is made in Oregon for Oregon jobs.

Last edited by lil' thumper; 10-03-2012 at 01:26 PM.

20. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      10-03-2012 02:10 PM #920
      I am sooooo jealous. $2000 out of pocket??? Daaaaaaaaamn!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      90 VRT Corrado, 06 Passat 3.6 AWD, 03 Chevy Blazer Xtreme
      10-03-2012 02:42 PM #921
      Really coming around to the Volt, I wish my commute wasnt ~160 miles round trip or more or this would be in my drive way

Also REALLY liking the solar panel idea, I wonder if most power companies in the US are going to be as generous as Oregon is (didn't read all 27 pages so I may have missed something).
      Rule for posting in Corrado Forum- BEFORE clicking 'Submit Post' button, go ahead and have someone kick you in the nuts. Only then can you click the button.....it'll hurt less when you get your response.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Turbo Diesel Jetta
      10-03-2012 04:22 PM #922
      One of the things that is interesting is the enphase network of installations on homes spread across the country. (Frank Calciano is one of these installations) They are all accessible on the web from a macro perspective all the way down to each residence and it's output.

https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public_systems

you can access certain homes without a login. Those are underlined and you can just look at what they are producing each day.

example:

https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/...tems/TNXC77217

23. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      trophy wife convertible, old british things
      10-03-2012 04:34 PM #923
      Quote Originally Posted by drkreign View Post
      Really coming around to the Volt, I wish my commute wasnt ~160 miles round trip or more or this would be in my drive way
      160 miles?! dear god... move!!

24. Member
      Vehicles
      10-03-2012 09:06 PM #924
      Quote Originally Posted by drkreign View Post

Also REALLY liking the solar panel idea, I wonder if most power companies in the US are going to be as generous as Oregon is (didn't read all 27 pages so I may have missed something).
      Hard to say. I thought I had a link to an overview of different state incentives. I'll see what I can come up with

Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      10-04-2012 01:57 PM #925
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      Our new News Director at work owns a Volt. Drove it cross country from Florida. Been meaning to ask him how the trip went. Will post my findings here.
      Any more on this?

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast