Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Rear air vents (lack of)

1. 10-17-2011 04:03 PM #1
      I have read a couple of comments about the 2012 Passat lacking the rear air vents, which could make the rear seat passangers area climate control inadequate. Any comments from new owners?

2. 10-17-2011 05:43 PM #2
      I'm in Houston, 90+ degrees today. I haven't had any complaints from passengers as the car does cool off quickly. The remote start feature comes in handy as well. HOWEVER, the TDI SEL has a pretty nice interior and not having the vents in the back does seem to be an obvious oversight. I betcha they will magically appear on the '13 model.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      04 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, 01 Audi Allroad, 2012 Passat TDI Highline, Sports pkg, Navi
      10-17-2011 05:57 PM #3
      One VW guy pointed out the fact that the width of the two center air vents have been expanded to make up for this. I know Vw's pretty well and they look wider. Also the under the front seats vents can help. Having that said, I would still like rear vents.

4. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL
      10-17-2011 06:51 PM #4
      There are rear vents . . . sort of. They are located under the front seats towards the front of the seats. They blow if you've got the air set to blow "down". So they will keep the rear passengers feet nice and cool.

5. 10-17-2011 07:28 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by ctdi View Post
      I have read a couple of comments about the 2012 Passat lacking the rear air vents, which could make the rear seat passangers area climate control inadequate. Any comments from new owners?
      The ventilation system is rather noisy for the amount of air it produces and the Hyundai Sonata's rear vent system is dramatically better.

Vehicles
      2003 Passat V6 4Motion, 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      10-17-2011 07:51 PM #6
      I can't really complain about the cabin temperature. It seems to stay pretty stable. I have only had my car a few days but so far so good. We took a short 45 minute trip on sunday with people sitting in the back, everyone seemed comfortable!

Vehicles
      2013 CC Sport.....2010 Tiguan
      10-22-2011 12:14 AM #7
      Running change maybe like the Jetta, they both might get the vents by next year

8. 10-22-2011 01:13 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by srankin1826 View Post
      There are rear vents . . . sort of. They are located under the front seats towards the front of the seats. They blow if you've got the air set to blow "down". So they will keep the rear passengers feet nice and cool.
      I have a B5 and that is where they are located also.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Passat 2.0 TSI
      10-22-2011 04:09 PM #9
      From the Jetta to the B6, most (if not all) VWs of the 2006-2010 period had under seat vents in addition to the rear seat vents.

It is extremely unfortunate that the new North American Passat does not have rear vents as VW in 2010 (after 'hundreds' of years) finally put in a decent rear system (whether climatic or climatronic) that would blow a ton of air to the rear passengers. Lucky 2010 owners...

Pre-2010 had relatively useless rear vents since very little air would come out. Right as VW gets it right they remove a nice feature.

10. 10-23-2011 10:04 AM #10
      ...Meanwhile Hyundai is offering not only rear seat A/C vents but heated rear seats for year-round comfort! Just disgusting on VWoA's part! At least put a blank panel or a nice lined cubby where the vents are supposed to be.

Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337 - 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      10-23-2011 05:28 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by hkk_life View Post
      Just disgusting on VWoA's part!
      Feeling dramatic today?

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Volvo C30, Honda CR-V & Odyssey
      10-23-2011 05:34 PM #12
      It's ridiculous to increase rear-seat space and then remove the air vents... So people in the back can now stretch out, but now they can't breathe.

It's extra ridiculous now that rear vents are the norm in this class of car (at least for the upper trims). Even Honda added rear vents to the Accord in its mid-cycle refresh.

Since they're saving money with old drivetrains and have ambitious sales goals, you'd think VW would compensate by making the Passat truly class competitive in feature content. It's not like the Passat is cheap. It is still relatively more expensive than the competition, when similarly equipped.

I test drove the Passat, and, for the rear passengers to get some air, you have to have the front AC at full blast. That's extremely loud and uncomfortable for those in the front.

It's a shame, too, because there's so much to like about this car. I test drove a 2.5L SEL Premium back-to-back with a 2012 Toyota Camry XLE V6, and, even with the power disadvantage, the Passat seemed more fun. The design is also better... But no back-up camera and no rear vents are deal breakers. (Not to mention that the super-slow-to-respond RNS-510 would be annoying to live with.)

13. 10-23-2011 08:23 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Automojo View Post
      It's ridiculous to increase rear-seat space and then remove the air vents... So people in the back can now stretch out, but now they can't breathe.

It's extra ridiculous now that rear vents are the norm in this class of car (at least for the upper trims). Even Honda added rear vents to the Accord in its mid-cycle refresh.

Since they're saving money with old drivetrains and have ambitious sales goals, you'd think VW would compensate by making the Passat truly class competitive in feature content. It's not like the Passat is cheap. It is still relatively more expensive than the competition, when similarly equipped.

I test drove the Passat, and, for the rear passengers to get some air, you have to have the front AC at full blast. That's extremely loud and uncomfortable for those in the front.

It's a shame, too, because there's so much to like about this car. I test drove a 2.5L SEL Premium back-to-back with a 2012 Toyota Camry XLE V6, and, even with the power disadvantage, the Passat seemed more fun. The design is also better... But no back-up camera and no rear vents are deal breakers. (Not to mention that the super-slow-to-respond RNS-510 would be annoying to live with.)
      so if you don't get a backup camera or rear vents, you're not buying it..

time to look at minivans, buddy.

seriously, when did "car enthusiasts" become such crybabies? personally, i would like the rear vents too, seeing as how i have them in my 2006 jetta. but a deal breaker? no.

this mp3/i-phone generation is going to be hell on earth. no backup camera??? you mean i have to LOOK IN THE MIRROR????????

Vehicles
      10-23-2011 10:30 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by teknokrat View Post
      Then I can't show my buddies what a baller I am with my back-up camera

15. 10-23-2011 11:17 PM #15
      seriously, when did "car enthusiasts" become such crybabies? personally, i would like the rear vents too, seeing as how i have them in my 2006 jetta. but a deal breaker? no.

this mp3/i-phone generation is going to be hell on earth. no backup camera??? you mean i have to LOOK IN THE MIRROR????????
      Your personal taste in vehicles is yours. I think you should look in the mirror less.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-24-2011 12:02 AM #16

time to look at minivans, buddy.

Don't have to look at minivans. As I said, the Passat's competitors have rear vents and backup cameras, yet cost less.

And, again, VW made the backseat bigger yet removed the vents. As I noted, even on the Passat test drive, the rear vents were sorely missed.

There are different types of "car enthusiasts," and, since this is a Passat forum, having enthusiasm for practicality is legitimate. If power, handling and steering feel were all that mattered to me, I would not be looking at a Passat or its competitors. I'm looking for a car that balances driving pleasure with family needs... And a family needs to have good air flow in the backseat.

By the way, there seems to be a misconception about backup cameras. They're not about laziness or not wanting to turn to look back (you should turn to look even with a camera). They're about safety. The rear decklids of most cars are too high these days, including the Passat's, so there is much you can't see, even if you turn your head. Also, backup cameras help you see around other cars in parking lots when pulling out. They're not just about what's directly behind you.

Not being a cry baby. Just discussing the cars. I believe these are serious oversights on VW's part, especially when they had these features in previous years. Heck, VW had a backup camera on the tiny Tiguan and had a TV ad spotlighting the CC's backup camera.

17. Member
      10-24-2011 01:35 AM #17
      Not being a cry baby. Just discussing the cars. I believe these are serious oversights on VW's part, especially when they had these features in previous years. Heck, VW had a backup camera on the tiny Tiguan and had a TV ad spotlighting the CC's backup camera.
      Oversight implies they simply just forgot about it or never thought about it. I hardly think that is the case. VW thought long and hard about it and deliberately omitted the vents. Just like how the de-contenting that VW did with the MKV Golf/Jetta, and then with the transition from the MKV to the New Jetta was definitely not an oversight, but an deliberate move to shift the Jetta down market and to lower costs/prices, not just an "oversight". 99% sure they left the vent out in a deliberate attempt to lower costs in the Passat.

VW is officially the could've been, should've been car brand in America. Sure, other cars in the segment are arguably just as "cheap" and de-contented, but the way that America basically gets the dumbed down and watered down version of VWs that the rest of the world gets bothers me. At least other car brands are built from the ground up to be what they are, and don't feel like you're getting a Big Mac with out the center bun and the second patty, but are still getting it sold to you as a Big Mac. Especially when it's a case of can't-even-get-it-if-you-paid-extra and we KNOW that other markets get it as an option.

Vehicles
      10-24-2011 10:22 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by kimilein View Post
      VW is officially the could've been, should've been car brand in America. Sure, other cars in the segment are arguably just as "cheap" and de-contented, but the way that America basically gets the dumbed down and watered down version of VWs that the rest of the world gets bothers me. At least other car brands are built from the ground up to be what they are, and don't feel like you're getting a Big Mac with out the center bun and the second patty, but are still getting it sold to you as a Big Mac. Especially when it's a case of can't-even-get-it-if-you-paid-extra and we KNOW that other markets get it as an option.
      It's not, strictly speaking, true that VW is the only brand that gives the US "de-contented" cars. For example Honda sells an entirely different Accord in the UK than they do over here. They offer a wagon version and a diesel and it's available with Xenon headlights. None of these are options in the US. Most major car manufacturers offer a different range of options and sometimes entirely different models in different markets. Clearly VW has done market research and determined that cost was a major reason Americans were buying Camry's and Accord's over the B6 Passat so they have cut cost in areas where most people won't miss it.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Passat TDI SEL, 2010 VW Jetta TDI
      10-24-2011 01:38 PM #19
      Can't say that the rear vents in my B6 or MkV Jetta are real game changers. Not a lot of air comes out of those vents. More for show and not for go. I do appreciate the 110VAC in rear of the Jetta over the 12VDC in the B6, but I digress.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Passat 2.0 TSI
      10-24-2011 01:45 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by rexxmann View Post
      It's not, strictly speaking, true that VW is the only brand that gives the US "de-contented" cars. For example Honda sells an entirely different Accord in the UK than they do over here. They offer a wagon version and a diesel and it's available with Xenon headlights. None of these are options in the US. Most major car manufacturers offer a different range of options and sometimes entirely different models in different markets. Clearly VW has done market research and determined that cost was a major reason Americans were buying Camry's and Accord's over the B6 Passat so they have cut cost in areas where most people won't miss it.
      The UK/Continental Europe Honda Accords are Acura TSXs in the United States. Hence, the option of sedan vs. wagon which Acura also offers here under the TSX. They are the same models.

Just goes to say that the U.S. market accepts downgrades. Although the Acura brand does not appear in Europe.

A U.S. Accord would NEVER be accepted in Europe from East to West and North to South.

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-24-2011 03:56 PM #21
      kimilein - "Oversight" was the wrong word choice on my part. You're right, they deliberately cut these features. Cutting features would be forgiveable if the cars were cheaper competitively. And, in reality, the Jetta is less car for the same money as before.

MUG318 - even if the vents blew weakly like the ones you describe, that would still be an improvement. Though I agree with the "show vs. go" sentiment.

I didn't see any power outlet in the B7 Passat's backseat either (correct me if I'm wrong). That's another lame choice.

Even if most Americans don't care as much as I do about cameras, vents, etc., these features should at least be available on the upper trim levels of the Passat for the car to be truly competitive. Like they are with its competitors (which also have better MPG with their gas engines). It's not like the Passat is cheaper than its competitors. It's actually more expensive.

As an example, a loaded 2.5l Passat's invoice price is HIGHER than a comparably-equipped 3.5l Camry's. And the Camry has backup camera and rear vents (as well as struts for its engine hood, compared to Passat's prop rod).

To be fair and comprehensive, aside from the usual VW touches that they fortunately kept, like turn-signal lights in the mirrors and auto up/down windows on all windows, the main feature that top-trim Passat has that the others lack is memory driver's seat/mirrors.

Passat also has noticeably more rear legroom than Camry, despite the official numbers saying they're about the same. But again, all the more reason to take care of the backseat passengers, considering they're farther away from the front vents.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Passat TDI SEL, 2010 VW Jetta TDI
      10-24-2011 04:08 PM #22
      Even if most Americans don't care as much as I do about cameras, vents, etc., these features should at least be available on the upper trim levels of the Passat for the car to be truly competitive. Like they are with its competitors (which also have better MPG with their gas engines). It's not like the Passat is cheaper than its competitors. It's actually more expensive.

As an example, a loaded 2.5l Passat's invoice price is HIGHER than a comparably-equipped 3.5l Camry's. And the Camry has backup camera and rear vents (as well as struts for its engine hood, compared to Passat's prop rod).
      I too am upset with the lack of ANY backup/parking assist (camera, bells, beeps...). My B6 has parking assist and I get into parking spots that I wouldn't otherwise get into because of it.

23. Member
      03-07-2012 12:38 PM #23
      My .02 worth here.... I agree with the logic of the argument that says if the rear passenger cabin is significantly larger, then the lack of rear air vents becomes a real issue, esp. when the cars the B7 is aimed directly at include them. It may not have been considered to be vital to the bean counters, but it IS a competitive disadvantage vs the direct competition, period.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      03-07-2012 02:19 PM #24
      I've said it in other threads about this, and I'll say it again here (since I didn't post in here yet lol). The argument that the rear air vents is such a big selling point against the competition is overly exaggerated. For the amount of air that was blown through the rear vents on the B6 and Tiguan (from my own personal experience) it could be easily made up by the under seat ducts and the AC on Auto. It's job is to direct air flow to cool down the inside more efficiently. Or so it's supposed to. Back seat riders will not feel any less cool (or warm) with the absence of rear console vents. The same amount of air is circulating around the vehicle.

People fail to understand that in most cars with rear vents there is still only 1 blower, and as long as you had the front vents open, the back wasn't going to get my air anyway as the air blows from front to rear. And having the AC on Auto is pretty much the same as having the manual mode on floor and body settings. I will probably test, but I don't believe that if you set it on just body that the back seaters will not get any air flow at all.

I understand some people feel the need to have cold air actually blowing on them, and that's fine. But in the rear, if you come from any of those competitor cars with rear air vents (in this class), they don't really blow enough either to make that a selling point.

And my personal opinion, I rather not having them. I actually went as far as to keep them closed in both the Tiguan and B6. On those summer outtings, my passengers never noticed and never cared. They went so unnoticed that they both have been kicked out lol.
      ||||||||||||||
      CURRENT: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      PREVIOUS: 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T; 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva Coupe

25. Member
      03-07-2012 04:21 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by capclassicv2 View Post
      I've said it in other threads about this, and I'll say it again here (since I didn't post in here yet lol). The argument that the rear air vents is such a big selling point against the competition is overly exaggerated. For the amount of air that was blown through the rear vents on the B6 and Tiguan (from my own personal experience) it could be easily made up by the under seat ducts and the AC on Auto. It's job is to direct air flow to cool down the inside more efficiently. Or so it's supposed to. Back seat riders will not feel any less cool (or warm) with the absence of rear console vents. The same amount of air is circulating around the vehicle.

People fail to understand that in most cars with rear vents there is still only 1 blower, and as long as you had the front vents open, the back wasn't going to get my air anyway as the air blows from front to rear. And having the AC on Auto is pretty much the same as having the manual mode on floor and body settings. I will probably test, but I don't believe that if you set it on just body that the back seaters will not get any air flow at all.

I understand some people feel the need to have cold air actually blowing on them, and that's fine. But in the rear, if you come from any of those competitor cars with rear air vents (in this class), they don't really blow enough either to make that a selling point.

And my personal opinion, I rather not having them. I actually went as far as to keep them closed in both the Tiguan and B6. On those summer outtings, my passengers never noticed and never cared. They went so unnoticed that they both have been kicked out lol.
      Then they should have done more to the back of the center console - the danged thing looks like something is MISSING! That part of the console should have been redesigned, not to look like something should be in that space, but isn't.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      03-07-2012 08:44 PM #26
      lol it only looks that way because you expect something to be there.
      ||||||||||||||

27. Member
      03-08-2012 10:15 AM #27
      lol it only looks that way because you expect something to be there.
      I beg to differ... I've had experience of MANY cars in my day, both with and without rear air vents; the design here leaves MUCH to be desired, considering the lack of the air vents. That gaping hole where vents were so obviously originally designed to be is just plain butt-ugly.

What really annoys me is the fact that that one thing nearly throws off an otherwise complete and handsome interior design. It's no deal breaker, but I just keep wondering "Why???".

28. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Tiguan Highline
      05-08-2012 07:22 AM #28
      Don't mean to fuel the fire, but FYI the Chinese-made version of the NMS Passat does have rear vents (and wood panneling, and rear headrest DVD player, and rear heated seats, etc...).

Same car, different assembly plant, different market. Seeing how big a reaction the lack of rear vents seems to be getting on this forum, maybe VWoA will add them to the next production run?

If not, you can always try and order the parts from a Chinese dealership and transplant the vents into your car!

Cheers,
      Lucky

29. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TDI Jetta, 02 TDI Golf
      05-08-2012 07:35 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by luckyll View Post
      Same car, different assembly plant, different market. Seeing how big a reaction the lack of rear vents seems to be getting on this forum, maybe VWoA will add them to the next production run?

If not, you can always try and order the parts from a Chinese dealership and transplant the vents into your car!

Cheers,
      Lucky
      Looks like the 2013's will have them, so if they are wanted so bad... one should be able to order parts for the 2013's and put them in the 2012's.

30. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Tiguan Highline
      05-08-2012 07:36 AM #30
      ...For the amount of air that was blown through the rear vents on the B6 and Tiguan (from my own personal experience) it could be easily made up by the under seat ducts and the AC on Auto...
      Gotta agree with capclassicv2 on this one. Haven't yet tried the new Passat, so I can't comment on how effective the A/C is at cooling the rear seat, but I can confirm that in the Tiguan (which I've been driving for four years), the rear seat vents don't amount to much. Since they share the airflow with the four front vents, the only way to get anything resembling a decent breeze out of the rear is to close two of the front vents. That way, a little more air makes it to the back seat.

In my experience in the Tiguan, it is way more effective to use bi-level venting (i.e. windshield and floor) to cool off the entire vehicle than the dash vents. And yes, there are rear floor ducts in the Tiguan (just like every other VW).

Although my logic is often flawed, I can't help but think that the A/C in the Passat won't have to work as hard as in the Tiggy. That whole area above the rear hatch in the Tiggy is hard to cool off 'cause it's high and back. The Passat, like any sedan, doesn't have as much dead air space...

And of course, for those of you who find that blank area where the rear vents should be too annoying, you can always apply a few of those tacky "side exhaust" decals that the 4x4 crowd loves to stick on their fenders!

Cheers,
      Lucky

31. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat 2.5 SEL
      04-01-2013 03:20 PM #31
      Other 2012 owners, what have you done with that blank cubby hole? My wife wound up putting a travel size Kleenex in the space so it would be somewhat useful.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      04-01-2013 09:44 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by iancmedina View Post
      Other 2012 owners, what have you done with that blank cubby hole? My wife wound up putting a travel size Kleenex in the space so it would be somewhat useful.
      I have never used it. I think one of my passengers used it to put there keys because when it's dark out and with the tints, you can't see that they were sitting there. But other than that, I don't think anyone noticed it. And I surely haven't used it in the 1 or so that I've had the car.

And, none of my passengers have EVER asked, complained or wondered why there aren't console vents. My car cools down/warms up pretty quickly.
      ||||||||||||||