Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally found some land.

06-25-2012 09:30 PM #71
      dumpster #2 showed up today. Trackhoe is coming tomorrow I was told.

2. 06-26-2012 09:10 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Big CADDY View Post
      It's level..

Mine: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive Sports Wagon 3.0L I6 230hp 200ft-lbs
      Hers: 2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4.0L V6 265hp 284ft-lbs
      Old: 2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 4WD 5.7L, 2008 Subaru Outback AWD 2.5i, 2001 Dodge Dakota 4WD 4.7L, 2000 VW Golf 1.8T, 1991 Dodge Ramcharger 4WD 5.2L and 1988 Mercury Topaz AWD 2.3L

06-27-2012 08:04 AM #74
      He said 1.5 hours to unload the trackhoe and flatten the house. HA. it looks like fun

4. 06-27-2012 03:56 PM #75
      How do you go about cleaning up the mess? Is there another Tonka truck for that? I'd hate to have to carry it piece by piece to the dumpster..

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      06-27-2012 04:44 PM #76
      Track hoe? We still call those excavators. The claw is pretty handy for picking up debris and putting it in dump trucks
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

06-27-2012 05:33 PM #77
      They called it a trackhoe. I call it a somnabitch

It's all dirt now. Amazing

7. Member
      06-27-2012 05:44 PM #78
      Have any of your neighbors come over to thank you yet?

Vehicles
      2013 Dodge Dart
      06-27-2012 06:09 PM #79
      this is amazing!
      congrats on the lot!

06-27-2012 07:13 PM #80
      Thanks. The neighbors were over when my wife was there. They are clueless. they were asking if we were gonna plant grass there. Weeds for now.

The excavator will be gone tomorrow along with the dumpsters. I'll probably get all the leftover wood and pile it up to secretly burn somewhere else.

I'll be updating every step of this home build on this post. Might be some slow times but I'll always have tons of pics.

I'm trying to get the vids from my iphone to you tube.

Vehicles
      2013 Dodge Dart
      06-27-2012 09:45 PM #81
      I am an architect and i always enjoy seeing different constructive methods...i mean, we always build with cinder blocks and concrete, and that house had some mix! From log cabin to drywall...i find plenty of amusement in seeing those pics, please keep them coming!
      On a side note, can i send u a pm? I would like to ask you some q....

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Audi S4/2002 Golf TDI
      06-27-2012 10:10 PM #82
      I know you're at the point where you're destroying things to make room for new stuff on your land, but I wanted to ask you how you ended up finding this land? I'm looking for some in my area and have just been hitting some websites and searching. Am I better off going to a real estate broker or something? I see some things online that look attractive but I think an actual agent could be useful to me because i've never bought lands and don't know 100% what to look for.

Ideally i'd like 3-7 acres, initially build a garage and then down the road add a house. What did you end up doing?

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI, 2010 4Runner SR5
      06-28-2012 12:44 AM #83
      subscribed, very interested to follow the progress

06-28-2012 05:02 PM #84
      This land was listed on a couple real estate sites. I was always searching for something in our township which made it difficult because there wasn't much to offer that had more than .03 acres. Lame.

Zillow is a great site. It has great search filters. They make an app for Iphone which works well.

There will probably be a slow spot now unless you want me to take pics of weeds growing and groundhogs moving about.

VW...vw...wv...WV feel free to PM.

Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      06-28-2012 05:40 PM #85
      This land was listed on a couple real estate sites.

Was it listed as land or was it listed as a house on a lot? You often overlook a piece of property like this if you are looking only for land.

06-28-2012 10:16 PM #86
      When I searched I filtered Land and single family homes. It shows both then. Zillow gives updates as soon as something comes on the market.

06-29-2012 03:28 PM #87
      Filled three dumpsters

Can 1 weighed 7.6 tons
      Can 2 weighed 7.11 tons
      not yet weighed.

about $450 a piece

So, approxamate total to remove the home completely.

Home Demo - $1,500.00
      Waste removal - $$1350.00

Aluminum return + $350.00

Total $2,500.00

not bad.

07-16-2012 04:20 PM #88
      My old boss suggested using the guy that has been building an addition on his home. He has been very happy with him as a person as well as his work.

I called him just a while ago and he was super cool. He is fine with me bringing in my own subs if I had better pricing with them and even helping out.

We want to set up a time to meet with him and go over a few things. He is capable of modifing the plans that we choose.

The wife and I have found a plan that we really like. We enjoy the creativeness of the plan. We have been stuck in a ranch home for years and you are pretty much stuck using ranch style everything. THis shold be fun.

Here is a image from the computer. We would need to bump out a couple rooms a couple feet but the builder can do all that in autocad.

Vehicles
      2007 Vue, 1997 K1500, 2008 Mazda3
      07-16-2012 06:14 PM #89
      that is a great looking house.

19. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      07-16-2012 06:25 PM #90
      Ha, that house always shows as the most popular one on houseplans.com: http://www.houseplans.com/2091-squar...2-garage-33831

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      07-16-2012 06:59 PM #91
      My old boss suggested using the guy that has been building an addition on his home. He has been very happy with him as a person as well as his work.

I called him just a while ago and he was super cool. He is fine with me bringing in my own subs if I had better pricing with them and even helping out.

We want to set up a time to meet with him and go over a few things. He is capable of modifing the plans that we choose.

The wife and I have found a plan that we really like. We enjoy the creativeness of the plan. We have been stuck in a ranch home for years and you are pretty much stuck using ranch style everything. THis shold be fun.

Here is a image from the computer. We would need to bump out a couple rooms a couple feet but the builder can do all that in autocad.
      Jeezes that's a hell of a roof line. It's gonna be a jigsaw puzzle trying to figure what truss goes where
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

07-18-2012 10:12 AM #92
      Those are some nice homes but we were looking for something single floor.

I'm anxious to toss this plan into Autocad and start streching.

22. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07-18-2012 03:02 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      Look at getting a Connor Home built. Expensive, but quality.

http://www.connorbuilding.com/
      I just discovered those the other day. Pretty awesome stuff.

Vehicles
      12 Beetle Turbo
      07-23-2012 11:32 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      Ha, that house always shows as the most popular one on houseplans.com: http://www.houseplans.com/2091-squar...2-garage-33831
      There's a reason for that. It's a nice house with good use of space i think.

Are you planning on excavating for the finished basement? The land looks pretty flat from the pics.
      http://www.4everkustoms.com/
      Polishing | Powder Coating | Plating | BALLER STATUS

07-24-2012 09:45 AM #95
      They have a very similar home on the same site. It's 2800 sqft instead of 2100 and I like the floor plan better.

Here is an image. I'm not crazy about the angled stonework or the angled support posts. Probably go with a shingled roof as well. And it has an extra garage. we plan to build a two car detached with a shop area.

There is a slight slop to the land which will be nice for landscaping. We plan to meet with the builder next week.

Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      07-24-2012 09:32 PM #96
      They have a very similar home on the same site. It's 2800 sqft instead of 2100 and I like the floor plan better.

Here is an image. I'm not crazy about the angled stonework or the angled support posts. Probably go with a shingled roof as well. And it has an extra garage. we plan to build a two car detached with a shop area.

There is a slight slop to the land which will be nice for landscaping. We plan to meet with the builder next week.

The thing that is not so good about this plan as well as the previous one you posted is how close the master bedroom is to the kitchen. As well as how far the other bedrooms are from the master. I see the possibility of someone working in the kitchen waking someone in the master bedroom. Say the wife or husband who had to leave for work much earlier. Or perhaps if there are grown kids in the house the kids late at night.

The split bedroom plan is good for grown kids. But if you have a young family, then having the kids real far from the master can be an issue if the kids wake up at night. And having the kids bedrooms close to the room the parents might use for watching TV late at night might also be an issue if the kids are trying to sleep.

I guess it depends on how you see your family using the house and what your sleep/work patterns are like.

07-25-2012 08:41 AM #97
      We have two kids now and they are 5 and 9. I hate to be so far from them with this plan but I think as the years pass I'll be happy the rooms are a house apart. Agreed about the Nook next to the Master with noise.. I'll check over the plan for other options.

I live in a super boring ranch home now and hate the fact that everything needs to be styled around a ranch home.

Crob, the plan you show is nice but my wife is very against rooms protruding out past the front door. I also liked what you modified in the plan. A hearth/fireplace in the kitchen is pretty cool, especially if it's real wood

Vehicles
      12 Beetle Turbo
      07-25-2012 11:47 AM #98
      holy crap who needs 3 living/family rooms nowadays?? that's a lot of extra space that isn't used imo.
      http://www.4everkustoms.com/
      Polishing | Powder Coating | Plating | BALLER STATUS

Vehicles
      2012 E550
      07-25-2012 12:19 PM #99
      There's a door of the MBath to another room... Panic Room? Adult Fun Room?

29. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07-25-2012 12:45 PM #100
      Hey Crob, what software are you using to draw up those plans?

09-04-2012 11:01 AM #101
      Our builder is having the plans for the septic drawn up to be sent to our township SEO.

I'm meeting an engineer for MetEd (electric) on site Thursday.

In 1938 they put a pole on the edge of our property and from there they ran the lines underground out the road to feed the homes. Also from this pole is a line that goes across the center of our lot to a pole on the land next to ours. I'm trying to have that wire moved so that we can build under the existing wire.

There are no easments on our property. Any advice to have this done so it doesn't come out of my pocket?

The picture below is a google image of the lot.
      The red arrows are the poles
      The blue is existing wiring for the road now
      The red dots are the line I want to move from pole to pole
      The black is outline of our lot

The northern pole is not on my property and is in a farmers filed. If they could run that wire over to the blue I'd be fine. than no poles would need to be moved.

The second image shows what I would like done.
      The aqua color is the new wire routing to the east.

09-05-2012 05:29 PM #102

There are no easments on our property. Any advice to have this done so it doesn't come out of my pocket?
      Kinda depends on what you are basing your "no easements" stance on.

In my opinion, you will need to come out of pocket a bit(should be under 1000) for, at the very least, a survey - and not the one that was done when you bought the property (recent, yes?). Find a qualified land surveyor that will do a serious title search on your property, specifically to uncover ANY easements that may exist - even if they are not shown on the most recent survey (from your purchase), they may be there. You need this information before you talk to the power company.

If, in fact, there are NO easements - call the power company. Do not talk to the regular customer service people. Get to the construction division, to someone who deals specifically relocations and new development. Set up a meeting, show them your issue, and tell them that you would appreciate the lines being moved off of your property. See where it goes. Don't be scared off by terms like "adverse possession" or squatters rights (though you may wish to educate yourself on your state's handling of those statutes), because by merely bringing the matter to light you will likely re-set the time period required for such statutes to be invoked.

In all likelyhood - you'll need to be a squeaky wheel to get anything done. Really, though - spring for the survey out of pocket at first. You may be able to negotiate reimbursement if you are in the right (after-all - if there isn't any easement...you should be entitled to rent, right?)

09-05-2012 07:58 PM #103
      Thanks, great info.

I did go to the courthouse today and found two easements.. grrr.

I guess back in 1938ish metropolitan Edison coughed up $1.00 to put a pole on the property and run the line across.

Feeling I'm screwed. But, I think they can do this without moving any poles... They just need to move the line from the south pole side to the eastern lines that run along the road. I don't know how it all works.

My meeting is tomorrow with MetEd on site. A lady is meeting me there from MetEd.

09-05-2012 08:55 PM #104
      Yeah, you may be up poop's creek.
      Suggestion:

Right now, every power co in the country Tries their hardest to get lines underground, and most NEW development is required to be underground.

They will likel want a large chunk of change to move poles and wires. If this is the case, ask about the possibility of placing conduit for them around the backside of your lot or the frontside by the road. The power co may actually GIVE you the conduit to do this. Pulling cable is far cheaper for them thn sending a line crew to move poles, add wire, etc.

Pm for more info if you like.

09-06-2012 03:14 PM #105
      Thanks for the info.

I just saw your post. I just got back from the meeting with the engineer from MetEd.

the power lines that feed all the homes and farm north of the lot run across my lot. Cable and phone run along the street. Sh said it would be a real PITA to run it along the street because of cutting down tons of trees that arent on my property.

She proposed putting in two poles and running the line diagonally across my lot which seem as if it would work.

It still sucks to have the costs to do this and I'm really affraid to see the sticker price.

Red is new line, aqua is existing, yellow is poles and Guy wires.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast