Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally found some land.

Vehicles
      '02 A4 Avant
      09-06-2012 04:55 PM #106
      If you're going to the extent of moving wires and poles, what about moving the poles along the right property line right up the top right corner of your lot. You're already going to be incurring the costs to bring in the equipment to make the changes, so extra to not have the lines running across the middle of your lot might be of value.

Tough situation that's gonna cost you one way or another.

2. 09-06-2012 05:17 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Big CADDY View Post
      Thanks, great info.

I did go to the courthouse today and found two easements.. grrr.

I guess back in 1938ish metropolitan Edison coughed up $1.00 to put a pole on the property and run the line across.

Feeling I'm screwed. But, I think they can do this without moving any poles... They just need to move the line from the south pole side to the eastern lines that run along the road. I don't know how it all works.

My meeting is tomorrow with MetEd on site. A lady is meeting me there from MetEd.
      Did you have title insurance when you bought the property? Did any easements come up then?

Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      09-06-2012 07:58 PM #108
      I'd pay for another couple of poles than to let them run the power lines right through my front yard like that. Remember, it they have to upgrade service at some later date, the wires could get bigger and bigger.

Thanks for the info.

I just saw your post. I just got back from the meeting with the engineer from MetEd.

the power lines that feed all the homes and farm north of the lot run across my lot. Cable and phone run along the street. Sh said it would be a real PITA to run it along the street because of cutting down tons of trees that arent on my property.

She proposed putting in two poles and running the line diagonally across my lot which seem as if it would work.

It still sucks to have the costs to do this and I'm really affraid to see the sticker price.

Red is new line, aqua is existing, yellow is poles and Guy wires.

09-08-2012 05:19 PM #109
      There were two easements on the property. The agent alluded to them being the road frontages on the south and east.

We do have title insurance and it shows the two easements but stupid us we thought it was for the road frontages.

09-25-2012 04:23 PM #110
      Ok,

Been a little while. I'm meeting with the engineer from MetEd and my builder tomorrow on site to hash out a plan for the line move.

looks like we are going to run the lines up the left side of the property. MetEd is about Azzbackword when it comes to being proactive.

Septic plan is done

Once the paperwork is signed for MetEd my builder can get started. I think he's chomping at the bit to get it rolling before winter so he and his crew have stable work.. I don't blame them. I also met with my electrician. He's gonna come in and pretty much mark where each box goes and I'll do the rest minus the termination at the box.

I'll be running CAT5 to each room and also lines for security cameras.

I'll keep updates coming as I get them. Be prepared for tons of pics.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Forester 1997 LX450 1979 K20 1978 Rabbit 74 Trailduster with a Western Plow
      10-10-2012 12:23 PM #111
      Project a go for this year?

7. 10-10-2012 01:30 PM #112
      I'll keep updates coming as I get them. Be prepared for tons of pics.
      Ok, I am prepared. (in case you were waiting on me)

10-10-2012 04:19 PM #113
      haha.

I just got the results from the surveyor. There are trees that run up the left side of the lot. I want to remove some of the old dead ones and one that was zapped by lightning because this precious MetEd line is going as close to the property line as possible.

Also waiting on the bill from Met Ed.

I got the plans and the wife and I have only made a few changes. We did go with a different home plan. It's similar but a little more basic.

We really liked the first one we picked but with all the custom gable stuff, and odd shaped walls we'd be paying a bit for all the custom stuff.

We added two feet width straight down through the kitchen.
      the garage was bumped out three feet to allow for a stairway to the basement
      We ditched the master bath tub and I'll be putting a walk in dual shower. The existing shower stall to the left of the tub will be an exit to the hot tub out back.

Vehicles
      12 Beetle Turbo
      10-10-2012 04:47 PM #114
      Not a bad plan. I've seen much worse for sure! Curious if you think you'll actually use the Master Sitting room? Considered making that a study/office accessed from the foyer instead? Also adding space somehow into the laundry area. Depends what style washer/dryer you have, if front load with controls at the front you could put a counter on top of them for laundry folding. Otherwise you literally have no space for clothes. Suggest wall cabinets above too for added storage. Do you think you'd need a sink in the laundry area for pre-wash/soaking stains? What about hanging clothing as it comes out of the dryer, or drip dry only clothing?
      Adding 2 feet to the kitchen/breakfast/dining is going to make a world of difference! There isn't much prep/counter space in the current layout. Is the "pantry" against the dining wall with the door actually built with walls? If so, those are a waste of space in the kitchen area. I'd look at making that into actual counter space, like a buffet area before going into the dining room. Then make a tall pantry next to the fridge by the foyer entry. Where's all the "junk" going to go in the kitchen? Like cell phone chargers, mail, purses, keys, etc?
      Those are just my suggestions. Take them for what they are worth, but working in the remodeling/home building industry we do a lot of kitchens/baths/mud/laundry room renovations and those are the biggest concerns clients come to us with. I need more counter space and storage space.
      http://www.4everkustoms.com/
      Polishing | Powder Coating | Plating | BALLER STATUS

10-10-2012 10:13 PM #115
      Those were our exact concerns.

we thought of putting a set of french doors between the sitting room and the master then accessing the sitting room from the small hallway above the sitting room.

If you can imagine the 2' extension as a vertical line right were the "K" is in kitchen. extend it there.

We definately want a larger pantry somehow. The extra two feet may allow for that.

The laundry room does need to be larger than what is shown. This plan doesn't show the steps to the basement which go down and to the left below the washer. This adds an extra 3' to the laundry room but only for a door. The roofline would need to be changed if I widened the laundry room

I was able to upload the plan pic with the basement stairs.

Thanks for the input.

Vehicles
      12 Beetle Turbo
      10-10-2012 11:33 PM #116
      hmmm... that did make the laundry feel bigger and added some usable space. Looking at those stairs to go up above the garage, a bonus room I presume unfinished or finished? Either way, a bugger trying to get anything large up that zig zag stair. Also the doors into the shared bath are only 24" wide?! That's tiny! holy crap they should be at least 28-30". Measure your shoulders, they're probably pretty close to 24" and you want to walk thru that to get into the bath? I understand the necessity for small doors in that area, very congested with openings going all directions, but wow, 24" is pretty small for everyday use.

I would consider adjusting the sitting room if you don't think you'll use it all the time and could benefit from the extra "living" room. I know I would make it into a study/office where the computer and files/bills can go. Where else do you anticipate keeping those sort of items? Maybe consider putting the hall closet back to back with a closet for the "sitting room"? Open the hall closet facing the family, and move the door to powder room to also face the family room. Not the most private, but it's only a half bath, and it is divided by a ~4' hallway from the main living spaces. Either keep the access from the Master bed or the foyer?

I know you said the width of the kitchen got bigger by 2', but do you mean the length? Is the kitchen now 11'-3"x15' or 13'-3"x13'? I would definitely move the pantry cabinet beside the refrigerator and make the fridge look built in. Then make it base and wall cabinets where the old tall pantry cab was. It will give you much needed counter space next to the stove without feeling cramped. As well as add a place to drop stuff before entertaining in the dining room, like extra platters, or dishes, or glasses, etc. Depends what kind of furniture you have for the dining room too. Measure your current table and chairs if you plan to keep them, and then measure 11'-3 to make sure you have enough room with the chairs pulled out as if people were sitting in them. Can you still walk around comfortably or will you be squeezing by the wall?

You have the opportunity now to make all these changes on paper and it costs A LOT less than during construction or worse, after you move in and realize you should've made that 12" bigger/smaller.

12. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      10-11-2012 09:57 AM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      Ugh, I can't stand a single story home that is made to look like a two story. Faux dormers are the worst.

I actually really like the look of that house but knowing it's one level ruins it for me.

Vehicles
      12 Beetle Turbo
      10-11-2012 11:04 AM #118
      Instead of giving them an entirely new house plan to mull over, which I'm sure they have done for quite some time before coming to the decision they did already, I modified it some. It did grow to a total of 2,420sq.ft. of finished living area (excluding the garage). I made the dining, kitchen, and breakfast area's 13'-3 instead of 11'-3. Also reworked the laundry, stairs going up and down, as well as the bedroom/bathrooms. The basement stair is accessed from the garage, not sure how you may feel about it. I personally don't mind as I will probably never finish a basement if I have enough living space on the main floor - it just becomes storage.

I changed the powder and closets like I had suggested earlier. The kitchen is tricky, that extra 2' of width I added helped, but if you were going to also add 2' of length, then you could make it even bigger. When the 2' of width was added, the work triangle became quite large from sink to stove to fridge in the original plan, so that's why I moved it to an island configuration. I think it allows for a much easier flow thru the kitchen to other rooms without having to go thru the middle of it and disrupt the whoever is cooking/prepping food.

My biggest concern was to keep the open plan concept of the kitchen/eating/living areas like what was in your original concept. Some of the plans Crob suggested strayed from that and gave you more rooms to fill (furnish and heat/cool).
      These are my suggestions, take them for what they're worth. Hope you like them at least.

The second option for the kitchen I thought of:

The work triangle grew, but you have planty of counter space and storage.

Vehicles
      12 Beetle Turbo
      10-11-2012 11:30 AM #119
      Haha. Softplan has it's moments for sure! But what software doesn't. It's great when you are designing and building new, but our primary business is remodeling/renovations/additions, so it can get pretty interesting when you have to design the existing conditions the way the computer thinks it's supposed to be built from new materials. Lots of "tricking" the program are involved sometimes.

I wasnt sure if they even wanted the study, but thought I'd do it anyway. Personally I don't see the need for an entire room to be dedicated to sitting in your master suite. Just make the bedroom large enough to have a place for a comfy chair/chaise/couch and you're good.

Vehicles
      12 Beetle Turbo
      10-11-2012 12:19 PM #120
      Ugh! I would love to be able to have new construction only! But right now the market still focusing on renovations since most people don't have the money to put upfront for new builds. At least in my area of South Central PA. Not sure where you are, but maybe I should think about relocating!

Softplan does very well with the details if you build it correctly in plan with the correct components.

Vehicles
      12 Beetle Turbo
      10-11-2012 12:58 PM #121
      hmm... the South... I like the climate better!

Vehicles
      12 Beetle Turbo
      10-11-2012 01:13 PM #122
      Depends what part of the South I guess. Coming from PA and then New England, I think I could enjoy the South for a while.

edit- we've totally derailed the thread. haha!

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      10-11-2012 03:17 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubjettaman View Post
      These are my suggestions, take them for what they're worth. Hope you like them at least.
      The 13 x 13 dining room would be more flexible if the 6' opening to the foyer had the foyer walls completely, or almost completely removed so you have at least a 9 foot span to the foyer. That gives you the flexibility to use a temporary banquet table that intrudes into the foyer. Useful at big gatherings like Thanksgiving and Christmas where you stash the regular dining room table in the garage.

One issue for a house in the north... there is no coat closet at the front door.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Forester 1997 LX450 1979 K20 1978 Rabbit 74 Trailduster with a Western Plow
      10-11-2012 03:31 PM #124
      There is a closet right around the corner in the foyer.

10-11-2012 08:06 PM #125
      wow, nice job on the plans. I just left meeting with the builder. We found out our property line is on the far side of the trees. Which is good. I'll be about to move the power poles back another seven feet.

He took the plans and I mentioned some of the modifications we have all talked about. I gotta call him about those dumb 24'' doors. I totally didnt' see that. Thats like broom closet doors.

We need to widen the garage a little to allow for a man door and possibly double garage doors.

Vehicles
      12 Beetle Turbo
      10-12-2012 08:48 AM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      The 13 x 13 dining room would be more flexible if the 6' opening to the foyer had the foyer walls completely, or almost completely removed so you have at least a 9 foot span to the foyer. That gives you the flexibility to use a temporary banquet table that intrudes into the foyer. Useful at big gatherings like Thanksgiving and Christmas where you stash the regular dining room table in the garage.

One issue for a house in the north... there is no coat closet at the front door.
      If there is going to be that many people, I'd just use the breakfast area that already is wide open to the family room.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      There is a closet right around the corner in the foyer.
      Correct, that was the intention of that closet. It just doesn't open directly to the foyer like the original plan.
      There is also another very sizable closet in the hallway between laundry and kitchen for extra winter coats, that could potentially be organized with racks/shelves and also used as a pantry for the kitchen

wow, nice job on the plans. I just left meeting with the builder. We found out our property line is on the far side of the trees. Which is good. I'll be about to move the power poles back another seven feet.

He took the plans and I mentioned some of the modifications we have all talked about. I gotta call him about those dumb 24'' doors. I totally didnt' see that. Thats like broom closet doors.

We need to widen the garage a little to allow for a man door and possibly double garage doors.
      You're welcome! Glad you like them. More useable property is always a fun find! Definitely think hard about that bath configuration in the original plan. It seems cramped. Probably fine right now for a 5 & 9 year old, but that 9 year old is going to be a teenager quicker than you can imagine.
      The garage I had drawn was 24' wide interior dimension and 24'-6" length from the laundry/stair wall to the first exterior wall, not the bump out. The stair down to the basement is 3'-6" wide. Plenty of room for the man door and then 2 9'-0" garage doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      Most of the builders here use 2'-4" wide doors for bathrooms/powders/water closets. 2'-8" doors or openings for bedrooms/living areas, although some still use 2'-6" wide doors for the bedrooms but still 2'-8" doors for the Master Bedroom or Laundry rooms.

Also if you move the whole Garage side of the house two feet or more towards the back of the house, that will give you more wall space for the stove wall in the Kitchen.
      That's what we use up here. I didn't realize that most of the doors I selected in the drawing were 30". Haha. Oh well. They still function better than the 24" door for the bathroom.

I agree that moving the entire garage/laundry/bedroom "wing" back from the front of the house, it will gain you some very usable space in the kitchen without sacrificing the breakfast area flow of cross traffic. Plus it will help with your wife's apparent dislike of anything bumping out further than the front door.

Keep us posted!

Vehicles
      12 Beetle Turbo
      10-15-2012 02:14 PM #127
      just some quick 3D's from the computer
      Kitchen option 1:

Kitchen option 2:

23. Member
      Vehicles
      10-15-2012 02:57 PM #128
      Hmm, the extra space in option 2 is needed imo.

Not sure if I like the work triangle being divided by the island though.

02-06-2013 03:41 PM #129
      We are closing on the house February 20th. The builder is chomping at the bit to get his guys some stable work.

He has some tree removal so I'll have lots of earth mover pics I'm sure.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      02-06-2013 04:08 PM #130

04-08-2013 10:30 AM #131
      They start today.

Saturday they brought out a bulldozer. Wednesday the foundation guy is scheduled.

Here we go.

Vehicles
      12 Beetle Turbo
      04-08-2013 10:55 AM #132

congrats!

04-10-2013 09:04 AM #133
      Day 1.

I'll get pics of day two up soon. Lots of trees and dirt being moved.

Little video of my son
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/tfries/8636605873/

Vehicles
      12 Beetle Turbo
      04-12-2013 03:19 PM #136
      would you mind sharing the final floor plan?

04-16-2013 10:57 AM #137
      The basic plan is above. Some modifications. A back door, no tub, widened kitchen. stairs to basement, man door at the garage. split garage doors Bilco door. etc.

Vehicles
      12 Beetle Turbo
      04-18-2013 10:57 AM #139
      are you using a poured foundation wall or block?

Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      04-18-2013 11:27 AM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubjettaman View Post
      are you using a poured foundation wall or block?
      I'm betting on block since they don't seem to be doing much leveling or putting in a keyway. I guess they will come back before the concrete sets and put in the rebar that is spread out on the ground though.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast