Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Is this a good price for a 190e Cosworth?..also what can you tell me about them?

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      10-19-2011 01:31 PM #1
      Found this:

1986 Mercedes 190e Cosworth for $5500 obo:
      I'm selling my 1986 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3 16Value Cosworth because I bought another car and have no more room on the driveway. This 1986 Benz only has 193,500kms and runs strong. These 190E are known for lasting well over 300,000 miles so it has lots of life left. It's a Getrag 5-speed manual gearbox was unique to the 16 valve and featured a 'racing' gear pattern with 'dog-leg' first gear, left and down from neutral. This meant that the remaining 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears were in a simple H pattern allowing fast and easy selection.Its fitted with a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) standard. This car comes with after market 5 star rims as seen in video also 2 sets of original 190E Mercedes Benz rims.I'm also including all of my extra parts from another 16value cosworth Mercedes Benz which are a full set of leather seats, all 4 door leathers and another 16value engine for parts. I'm selling all of this for $5500 OBO (Or Best Offer). In the link below is a video of the cars exterior,interior, all the working options like power windows,power seats,lights on the sun visors,interior lights and etc.

Given the condition, and mileage is he asking too much? Too little? About what it's worth?

While I was searching around, I went to this thread from mbworld. It's from 2009 but basically the guy is selling his cosworth for $6k and some other guy is saying it's worth a lot less like around $2500ish...is that a load of BS or accurate?

Thread:
      http://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-v...h-not-amg.html

What can you guys tell me about them? From what I heard they're really reliable and parts can be found from junk yards for cheap..is that true as well?

TIA

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      10-19-2011 01:53 PM #2
      5-6 years ago, they were $2,500 all day long. I turned a Euro-spec Smoke Silver down for $3k. Those days are gone .
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      10-19-2011 01:58 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      5-6 years ago, they were $2,500 all day long. I turned a Euro-spec Smoke Silver down for $3k. Those days are gone .
      Seriously? So the $5500 asking price is a bit high or did they go up for some reason? Was there a special where Takumi lost to a 190e Cosworth that I didn't know about?

4. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      10-19-2011 02:00 PM #4
      may be a fair price if its not totally rusty... and being in ontario... hmmm

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      10-19-2011 02:00 PM #5
      So you went from getting a $2k reliable interim car for a daily driver to a very rare 80's German performance car?

Good luck.

Actually, I do wish you luck.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

6. Member
      Vehicles
      V70R, CRV
      10-19-2011 02:08 PM #6
      I think that is a good price for that car. Rust?

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      10-19-2011 02:10 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      So you went from getting a $2k reliable interim car for a daily driver to a very rare 80's German performance car?

Good luck.

haha yea well once I read the thread of that guy saying the car is worth more like $2-3k I thought if I'm gonna spend around that for a new car might as well be something awesome. For some reason the dog-leg shift pattern is REALLY intriguing me.

Aren't they reliable though..I know it's german and it's from the 80's but I heard parts aren't that hard to come by(if you get em from junkyards) or is that just a myth.

Think I can talk him to down to maybe $4k or lower or is the price pretty much gonna stay around $5k?

Vehicles
      10-19-2011 02:14 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      Seriously? So the $5500 asking price is a bit high or did they go up for some reason? Was there a special where Takumi lost to a 190e Cosworth that I didn't know about?
      Once E30 M3s jumped from $10k to $20k in price, the 190E 2.3-16 followed. $5,500 is fair. Is it Euro-spec? Does it have SLS-delete?

If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      10-19-2011 02:23 PM #9
      Once E30 M3s jumped from $10k to $20k in price, the 190E 2.3-16 followed. $5,500 is fair. Is it Euro-spec? Does it have SLS-delete?
      SLS - educate me on that...I emailed teh guy today as i'm not sure if the car is still for sale and he just forgot to take down the add. If he replies I'll ask.

He put OBO so i'm sure he's willing to go down..but not sure by how much I should start him off with..don't want to low-ball.

Vehicles
      10-19-2011 02:32 PM #10
      SLS - educate me on that...I emailed teh guy today as i'm not sure if the car is still for sale and he just forgot to take down the add. If he replies I'll ask.

He put OBO so i'm sure he's willing to go down..but not sure by how much I should start him off with..don't want to low-ball.
      It's the Self-Leveling Suspension that these cars have in the rear. Expensive to maintain so many have been swapped out for aftermarket spring/shock combos.

11. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-19-2011 02:53 PM #11
      Aren't they reliable though..I know it's german and it's from the 80's but I heard parts aren't that hard to come by(if you get em from junkyards) or is that just a myth.
      nearly everything on that car is 16v specific - suspension, brakes, interior bit, transmission, engine... you really wont be finding much of anything for used parts for it.

expect to spend a fair bit of money keeping that on the road if its your primary driver and you put a lot of miles on it...

Vehicles
      2014 Kia Forte Koup EX
      10-19-2011 02:55 PM #12
      I have been doing some prelim searching for 190e and all variants.

Most every cosworth Ive seen in decent condition have gone for 5000 to 6000 so 5500 isn't too out of place.

If there is rust at all, offer him 4 grand and work your way up to no more then 4700. He says he has no room so hes motivated.

Hell, offer him 4000 anyways and see how willing he is to sell. If you get it for sub 5500 then congratz you got a pretty solid car for sub (what seems to be) fair market value.

I however default to Valve as far as repair costs and any actual repair info haha.
      Last edited by superjario18; 10-19-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      10-19-2011 03:51 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      nearly everything on that car is 16v specific - suspension, brakes, interior bit, transmission, engine... you really wont be finding much of anything for used parts for it.

expect to spend a fair bit of money keeping that on the road if its your primary driver and you put a lot of miles on it...

Damn

Vehicles
      2010 R1 Fiat Edition -- 04 Evo 8 RS -- 97 ITR -- 96 Golf Harlequin -- 97 GLX Jetta -- 03 Forester
      10-19-2011 03:58 PM #14
      I've been tracking pricing for the last 2 months or so, just to see if one pops up for a good deal, and wanting to know what a good deal is if one comes up. And that $5500 is about right for a decently clean one. I've seen a few for less, but beat to $hit. It bums me out how many I find that are automatics though.
      VR46 ----"THE DOCTOR"

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      10-19-2011 04:03 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by MK2*GTI*GUY View Post
      I've been tracking pricing for the last 2 months or so, just to see if one pops up for a good deal, and wanting to know what a good deal is if one comes up. And that $5500 is about right for a decently clean one. I've seen a few for less, but beat to $hit. It bums me out how many I find that are automatics though.
      I thought all cosworth edition one's were manual?

Vehicles
      VW CC 6MT, Ford Freestar, diesel rabbit (RIP)
      10-19-2011 07:19 PM #16
      i'd do it. i turned down an e30 m3 with 53k for $9k, and one of these (same owner) for about $6k back in 2001. now i'm doing this every time i see even a photo of the two cars.

you'll probably regret it if you don't. around $5k is fair.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      10-19-2011 07:21 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post

Good luck.

Yup, sounds about right for a gearhead
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      TCL 1991 edition - Can't afford a CRX, what would TCL do: Hyundai Scoupe vs. Toyota Paseo vs. Geo Storm

Vehicles
      2010 R1 Fiat Edition -- 04 Evo 8 RS -- 97 ITR -- 96 Golf Harlequin -- 97 GLX Jetta -- 03 Forester
      10-19-2011 07:58 PM #18
      I thought all cosworth edition one's were manual?
      http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...631237260.html
      VR46 ----"THE DOCTOR"

Vehicles
      98 BMW M3
      10-19-2011 08:05 PM #19
      Parts are not easy to find, however, they car is pretty reliable. I remember waiting 3 weeks for a timing chain and tensioner, had to come straight from Germany. Oh, and auto 16vs are super rare.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      10-19-2011 08:17 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by esrballa View Post
      Parts are not easy to find, however, they car is pretty reliable. I remember waiting 3 weeks for a timing chain and tensioner, had to come straight from Germany. Oh, and auto 16vs are super rare.
      Aside from the SLS, what are some common problems/things prone to failure that one should look out for prior to buying one?

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      10-19-2011 08:19 PM #21
      It's the Self-Leveling Suspension that these cars have in the rear. Expensive to maintain so many have been swapped out for aftermarket spring/shock combos.
      It isn't that expensive actually as long as you change the fluid regularly (many don't).
      There are always after market options too.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

Vehicles
      10-19-2011 08:22 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by esrballa View Post
      Of course 2 out of 3 that are around here are auto. One is pretty faded and missing the motor and transmission (auto), and he has been asking $1150 with no buyers for over 2 months now.
      VR46 ----"THE DOCTOR"

23. 10-19-2011 08:26 PM #23
      I think about half of them cosworths i see are auto unfortunately. I always loved the interiors in these, and hated the exhaust note, which is kinda unseemly for a benz

Rust on these almost always starts under the bodykit. If you see bubbling coming from under the flares, there isnt much fender left under it. Def find one with the leveling suspension deleted, also make sure the climate control works properly, chasing down the vac leaks in them can be a pain.

Motors are stout but share nothing with standard 190s. Id say its a fair asking price, i never knew why these never commanded the same money e30 m3s did, besides the driving experience being a bit more dull than the bimmer, they are very cool cars.

Vehicles
      '07 Mazda 3s GT, '13 Subaru Impreza Sport, KHS Flite 100
      10-19-2011 08:31 PM #24
      Aside from the SLS, what are some common problems/things prone to failure that one should look out for prior to buying one?
      Just admit it, you're not buying it. If you were REALLY serious you'd be looking at a 1991 BMW 318is or something like that that's quirky, fun, reliable and parts are easy to come by.

The tossable chassis, manual and rwd make them fun without getting in too deep with maintenance. You don't have the capacity to work on a 190e yourself and you don't need the headache.
      Quote Originally Posted by MK420TH92 View Post
      Now b/c of this im fkn paranoid about mines. For for theifs out there u better watch out... cuz im nockturnal....i dont go to sleep till 4am either.... and i bought a machette a ago... if i see u near my car im running out there and ima chop ur ass up.... real shiitt
      http://www.adventureseekers.co
      We are giants, with stars at our fingertips

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      10-19-2011 08:40 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by oh noes! cars! View Post
      Just admit it, you're not buying it. If you were REALLY serious you'd be looking at a 1991 BMW 318is or something like that that's quirky, fun, reliable and parts are easy to come by.

The tossable chassis, manual and rwd make them fun without getting in too deep with maintenance. You don't have the capacity to work on a 190e yourself and you don't need the headache.
      Well for one he hasn't responded to my email and since my dad would be paying most of it and i'd be paying him back it ultimately has to get his approval first...doesn't mean I can't inquire about it though.

I actually have been looking for e30's but a lot of them are beaten really bad around here and the nicer one's come in automatic which I think makes a car like that really boring. I'm constantly on the lookout.

This 190e is really clean, relatively cheap and looks like the guy took good care of it so why not inquire?

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      10-19-2011 08:44 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by teileguy View Post
      I think about half of them cosworths i see are auto unfortunately. I always loved the interiors in these, and hated the exhaust note, which is kinda unseemly for a benz

Rust on these almost always starts under the bodykit. If you see bubbling coming from under the flares, there isnt much fender left under it. Def find one with the leveling suspension deleted, also make sure the climate control works properly, chasing down the vac leaks in them can be a pain.

Motors are stout but share nothing with standard 190s. Id say its a fair asking price, i never knew why these never commanded the same money e30 m3s did, besides the driving experience being a bit more dull than the bimmer, they are very cool cars.
      Appreciate the info

27. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-19-2011 08:58 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by oh noes! cars! View Post
      The tossable chassis, manual and rwd make them fun without getting in too deep with maintenance.
      you forgot to mention epicly slow

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      10-19-2011 10:04 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      you forgot to mention epicly slow
      lol coming from a golf slow doesn't really bother me...the 190e's looks, dog leg shift pattern and exhaust are more than enough for me

Vehicles
      98 BMW M3
      10-19-2011 10:10 PM #29
      Wheel bearing tend to go out after 100k (they squick like crazy), sometimes they get idle problems, faulty fuel sensor which makes the fuel gauge flicker like crazy, oh and the valves are recommend to be readjusted every 15k. These cars dont have alot of glaring problems, just regular maintenance. Even the SLS isnt that bad, they start to sag and leak and then can be removed when you put in an aftermarket shocks and springs. Its an issue that gets progressively worse, so it wont leave you stranded. And every stopwatch in these is probably broken, so dont put too much into that.
      Last edited by esrballa; 10-19-2011 at 10:13 PM.

30. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-19-2011 10:41 PM #30
      lol coming from a golf slow doesn't really bother me...the 190e's looks, dog leg shift pattern and exhaust are more than enough for me
      no, i meant the 318is specifically.

31. 10-19-2011 11:19 PM #31
      buy an old ae-92gts or equivalent mr-2??????? and get over the name tag

Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR6T DE
      10-19-2011 11:21 PM #32
      a stick mercedes!?! cosworth!?! why is it a peg leg?!

Vehicles
      2014 Kia Forte Koup EX
      10-19-2011 11:22 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by c0mmon View Post
      buy an old ae-92gts or equivalent mr-2??????? and get over the name tag
      Such a great post. Good read, would read again!

So much wisdom.

-_-

Vehicles
      2014 Kia Forte Koup EX
      10-19-2011 11:24 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Corrado****** View Post
      a stick mercedes!?! cosworth!?! why is it a peg leg?!
      Not sure if srs.

However, they were "dogleg" because they were meant for track running (partly due to homoglation basis for the Evo series for DTM racing)

In most track scenarios you never see first aside from the starting line - which made sense to keep 2/3/4/5 in the H pattern for faster shifts.

o_O in case you were legit asking.